November 28, 2014 | 1928 users online

Sunscreen - Shiseido - Extra Smooth Sun Protection Cream SPF 36 [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 2 of 5 on 11/16/2007 11:11:00 PM More reviews by kanka999

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I guess I'm in the minority here. I felt like i had glue on my face. My mineral makeup looked horrible over it as well. Maybe I applied to much, but I really don't think this agreed with my skin. I much prefer my coppertone or banana boat at a fraction of the cost.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2007 7:41:00 PM More reviews by granthiekel

i'm just finishing up my first tube of this sunscreen, and i must admit that it's one oft he best sun products i've ever tried. i've always been an avid tanner for the past couple of years. now, i'm deathly afraid of getting into the sun for fear that i'll age faster!! so, i purchased this sunscreen. it has physical elements (zinc oxide & titanium dioxide) rather than chemical ingredients, so you can put this sunscreen on directly before going outside... there's no need to wait for it to absorb into your skin. also, it lasts longer than other brands. the great thing about chemical element sunscreen is that it absorbs oil throughout the day, so my normally greasy face is perfectly matte throughout the day thanks to shisedo :) my next purchase is going to be the SPF 55! not cheap, though...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2007 7:16:00 PM More reviews by SugarFreeSheila

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

99% of the time, I'm wearing a European sunscreen containing either Tinosorb or Mexoryl. But once in a while, when I would like to wear foundation that day, I want a sunscreen that isn't quite so shiny and is more cosmetically elegant. This one fits the bill. No white cast, no shine, no stickiness - and since this provides physical as opposed to chemical protection, there is no eye irritation either. These 4 factors are vital! It also photographs matte unlike chemical sunscreens, which is always a nice thing, and the application of foundation does not cause this sunscreen to ball up like a pencil eraser. Nice smell, too.

As you can see, I am extremely fussy about my sunscreen! This is one of the rare U.S. (non-Mexoryl, non-Tinosorb) sunscreens I will use on my face because it is so practical yet decently protective by U.S. standards. It is worth noting that 9.3% zinc oxide in this product is not as protective as MAC Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50 at 16.10% zinc oxide. I look forward to trying out the 12% zinc oxide Shiseido SPF 55 next to see how meeting in the middle fares!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2007 5:14:00 PM More reviews by chajy

I'm surprised that i haven't written a review for this one.
I have been using this ss for 8 months now and i am loving it day by day! This glides smoothly and gives my skin enough hydration without looking oily. I love it under my makeup (i use the shiseido powdery foundation) and it gives me porcelain skin effect. I love the cute packaging, it may look so tiny for the price but believe me i'm still using the same tube i had 8 months ago....you only need a quarter size anyway. I feel nekkid without this =)

rated 4 of 5 on 11/15/2007 10:09:00 AM More reviews by ppandb

This is a stable sunscreen with great UVA protection. All the Shiseido sunscreens are great; I use the Extra Smooth SPF 36 PA+++ Cream during the coldest/driest months - I find this formula not at all drying like the Ultimate Sun Protection formulas can be for some people. All I need under it is my Hydrating B5 Gel, but if you are dry you may need a moisturizer before applying the SS. Although it's a "cream" it's not thick or heavy. It takes little effort to spread the sunscreen evenly. It takes at least a few minutes to dry/fully absorb - I wait at least 10 minutes before applying any makeup. I get a Matte finish and it actually has helped reduce the surface oil in my t-zone! These sunscreens have to be removed with an Oil cleanser; So, at night I use Dermalogica Pre-Cleanse to remove all makeup and sunscreen; followed by my regular cleanser. I highly recommend the Shiseido sunscreens for daily use.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2007 10:06:00 AM More reviews by lamb1444

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

YES!!!!!! I definately plan to buy this one again. After trying several FACIAL SUNBLOCKS, I finally landed on something that works for me while enhancing my beauty and make-up. My dark complexion cannot tolerate the gray-white-cast and greasiness found in most sunblocks. Shiseido Extra Smooth immediately dries to a soft-matte finish. My Skin appears to be soft, supple and matte with / or without makeup. There is just one minor problem. This product dries heavy, therefore making it very difficult to wash comletely off. If anyone has any suggestions on a cleanser that will take this off completely please advise.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2007 6:51:00 PM More reviews by Absolutely

EDIT:
Unfortunately, this causes my makeup to bunch up around my nose near the end of the day. In addition, it seems to be promoting clogged pores. Too bad. =(

I have very oily skin that can be pimple-prone

After trying Neutrogena Dry-touch sunblock, I swore never to use sunscreen again....until I tried Shiseido

I apply this after my moisturizer and it goes on like a lotion. It has helped with my oilys and does not make me break-out more
However, it may have contributed to some clogged pores in my cheek area but I am not entirely sure. I use a cleansing oil to wash it off.

Nothing mattifies like this sunscreen though.

HG <3

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2007 6:38:00 PM More reviews by catnap

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Beautiful Sunscreen. I love everything about this. It's got 36 SPF PA +++, which is enough for me - i'm mostly exposed to the sun when driving to/from my windowless office and home. I love that it is a cream (as opposed to the Shiseido Sun Protection lotion version, which you have to shake up vigorously before applying) that comes in a cute sporty looking tube that you can just squeeze out and apply to your face. I love that it doesn't make make my skin feels taut at the end of the day (like the Sun protection lotion did) and yet keeps my super oily skin matte (not flat-looking) all day long. I apply this before putting on my Dior Bronze Tinted Moisturizer (which is fabulous, see my other review) and I could do a happy dance! It's expensive but i do believe you pay for what you get.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2007 2:21:00 PM More reviews by boys

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have to agree with everybody on this one. I Love it. I used this all summer. It's got good protection for my rosacea sensitive skin and it's awesome as a makeup base. I like to mix a drop of dr hauschka bronzer in it that way there is no white cast. just made my skin feel better.
Update 03/25/08 Just bought my third tube yesterday. Still the best sunscreen I've ever used.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2007 4:49:00 PM More reviews by dag4321

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a really great mositurizer w/sunscreen for daily use. It is light and rubs in without leaving a residue or feeling too heavy or greasy. I feel like my face is less shiny after application, but can not be sure if it is due to the sunscreen or new primer-probably both, but together they work really well (Alima).