Alba Botanica Sea Plus Renewal Night Cream

3.9

Not tested on animals

Ingredients Purified water, certified organic aloe barbadensis leaf juice, persea gratissima (avocado) oil, glyceryl stearate SE, vegetable glycerin, aleurites moluccana seed oil, macadamia ternifolia seed oil, sorbitan stearate, stearyl alcohol, ceteareth-20, mangifera indica (mango) seed butter, polysorbate 60, dimethicone, sorbitol, certified organic simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, stearic acid, squalane, sodium PCA, allantoin, alpha lipoic acid, DMAE, polysorbate 20, extracts of spirulina maxima (algae), ulva lactuca (sea lettuce), laminaria digitata (kelp), chondrus crispus (irish moss) and macrocystis pyrifera (kelp), citrus grandis (grapefruit) fruit, cucumis sativus (cucumber) seed, arnica montana flower, anacyclus pyrethrum root and camellia sinensis (green tea) leaf extracts, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), L-ascorbic acid (vitamin C), phenoxyethanol, ethylhexylglycerin, potassium sorbate, sodium hyaluronate and fragrance (parfum).5/23/09

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

So far so good.
Although it's a little like rubbing Crisco on your face, this is really good for a night cream. However I wouldn't recommend it for acne prone or oily skin. I'm not saying it would make you break out, but I'm not sure that oily/acne prone skin needs this much hydration. I purchased this because I was looking for a heavier night cream, and this product delivers. I've got combination/normal skin so for me it's perfect, especially for the cold winter months a head although I would NOT use this as a day time moisturizer. A lot of people complain about the scent.. It's not horrible, but I've smelled better. Regardless of the scent I wake in the AM with very soft, nice looking skin. Like all the Avalon/Alba products (they're made by the same company), this is a pretty good product especially for the price. I actually like the entire skin care line from both Alba & Avalon. Granted it's not a miracle serum, but their products are a wonderful "Preventative Measure" for skin care especially if you have realistic expectations.

on 9/26/2009 8:57:00 AM

I discovered this product after searching for a natural night cream without mineral oil, parabens, or other harsh chemicals. I saw a review of this cream on another website & the ingredients are compared to those found in the uber-expensive La Mer Cream. The DMAE and other sea minerals are a few of the must-have ingredients for optimal skin renewal according to famed Derm Dr. Perricone (who also has a pricey line of skincare products).

EDIT - I sadly had to remove 2 lippies, beacuse although this cream worked well for me as a night cream in the warmer months, my skin has become more dry and sensitive lately and this just isn't working for me anymore. It is not moisturizing enough and it has been irritating my eyes (even though I am not putting around my eyes) and causing me to break out in hives along my jawline and cheeks. I think the fragrance might be the culprit. So sad!

on 9/2/2009 2:15:00 PM

This stuff rocks! Very gentle and effective. I have senstivie acne prone skin and this doesn't break me out. It may seem like a heavy cream but I still use it during the day--just don't slather it on. Nothing has ever hydrated my skin as well, especially around my eyes. My HG used to be Kiehl's ultra facial moisturizer, but I'm going to stick to this now. Alba makes another product called Sea Lipid Day Cream, which is like the less moisturizing lotion version of this product.

on 7/15/2009 3:28:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

01/31/2010 ETA: I finished up my jar of this cream and love it! My skin looked glowy and hydrated. No adverse effects, but couldn't give it the full 5 stars due to the strong marine/masculine scent. Otherwise, it's perfect! Original review to follow.

I've been using this for a week, so this review will only cover its preliminary moisturizing properties. For about $14, this is not bad for a nighttime moisturizer. I bought this after the Boots botanical light night cream was way too harsh on my skin - my face actually hurt from all the acids!

Anyways, this is definitely a thick cream, however it somehow doesn't break me out. Only a tiny bit is needed, and I keep it in the refrigerator so it has a cooling effect upon application, which is perfect in the current summer heat. The scent is a bit cologne-like, but it only bothers me for the few moments I'm awake in bed. In the morning, my skin is plump and moisturized.

I'll update this review after more extended use, but so far I do like this cream, I just wish it were unscented.

on 3/11/2009 7:58:00 PM

I've been using this the past few nights, and the sea lipids day cream during the days with this as an eye cream. firstly, i love the smell and the fragrance doesn't seem to be bothering either my eyes or my skin. my skin clarity has actually been improving steadily (i've also been using the clarisonic). this stuff makes my face baby smooth and not greasy despite the incredible thickness of the cream (it's basically a solid!). if you applied it to dry skin, it would probably be way too thick, but i apply it while my skin is still a little from washing and it spreads out and sinks in very easily that way. it doesn't make me shiny and so far, no breakouts. just smooooooth skin. very nice list of ingredients, and so far both creams are promising to deliver! my little undereye fine lines are puffed up and almost gone since i started using this. my skin is purging now because of the clarisonic (yay!), and last night i put an extra dab of this on a little pimple that was drying up, and this morning, the whole thing was GONE! :)

on 3/11/2009 2:13:00 AM

I have combination skin but dry out in the winter. I tried this cream at my friend's a few months ago and didn't like it at first. It's too thick, too rich, the scent isn't bad (you get used to it actually), but the next morning, day, and all the way through the night my face felt comfortable and moisturized. My checks and sometimes even my forehead gets really dry during the winter time, but this product really did the trick. I use it both at night and in the morning. Because the product's so thick and heavy it lasts throughout the day!! I'll probably switch to using it at night only as the season gets warmer, but so far so good. Oh, I'm also very prone to acne, and a lot of products make me break out like crazy, but this thing, no pimples, no zits. I'm happy.

on 12/18/2008 5:11:00 PM

First of all, it's very thick. The next day, it immediately give me tiny bumps. Also, the smell is horrible. If it have any good antioxidants, the jar packaging would mean that it will be in-effective in a few weeks. Good thing CVS let me return it.

on 11/29/2008 5:04:00 PM

First of all, let me say that I don't believe any product, no matter what company makes it or what ingredients it contains, is going to make my 37 year old face look 19 again. That said, this lotion performs far better at making my skin look and feel softer than anything I've tried before. For my combo skin, this is a winter-only product. I had dry patches on my cheeks that wouldn't respond to anything (I got so desperate I even applied Aquaphor to my face). I picked up the Alba cream at Whole Foods, tried it for 2 days, and presto, the dry patches were no more. I didn't do anything else different, either. I've used the cream for one week now, with no breakouts or any increase in oiliness. My skin stays soft and comfortable all day, and I find I'm applying less makeup to my face overall. Also, since I put this on right before bed, I don't have to smell the fragrance (which some may find strong and a little like aftershave) for very long. I do wish it didn't come in a pot (I hate sticking my fingers in my face cream, but I just make sure to wash my hands first). At this price point and with such good results, I'll gladly smell like grandpa for those few minutes before I fall asleep. This is a definite re-buy!

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Other

i believe this is going into HG status. i have been using it for over a month and haven't had any problems. i have very dry skin and this manages to make it very soft and moisturized! i use it during the day under my sunscreen and at night. it is a very, very thick cream so i use a few drops of vegetable glycerine to make it creamier and easier to spread. i would recommend this to anyone who has dry (and, i mean dry, flaky winter dry) skin. i don't notice the scent.

EDIT: it saddens me to say this moisturizer has fallen off the holy grail pedestal. it seems to have stopped working and i got tired of having to add glyercine to make it work. it needs to work straight out of the bottle. after awhile, it seems that it was just sitting on top of my skin and i didn't feel more moisturized at all. i still have 1/2 a tub left and i'm not pleased. the search continues....

on 10/11/2008 9:33:00 PM

I really like Alba products. I use one of their cleansers and toners with great success so I thought I would try this as a cheaper alternative to the MAC mosturizer I had been using for years. Well, it broke me out into these weird little red bumps all over my cheeks. I wasn't sure if it was from the mosturizer for sure, but within days of stopping using it they cleared up. I tried the mosturizer again a few months later, and again the bumps showed up. I am sticking with my MAC mosturizer now.