OPI Black Onyx

4.1

I like this shade :-) This is especially great for a pedicure because it's not very thick! The consistency of the formula is a bit thin and runny. Therefore, the first coat is a bit transparent and streaky, but with a second coat- voila! I prefer this over thick and gloopy polishes. Black Onyx has a gorgeous, glossy, wet vinyl look. Usually with many other OPI shades, two coats takes a while to dry, but Black Onyx dries rapidly, without smudging!

on 3/18/2008 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I bought this because I saw it applied on someone else and I loved that it was a perfect black creme that had a lot of shine! However, when I got my own-- I realized how GOOPY and THICK it was. Yuck.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I suspect the people who are really excited about this polish aren't black polish conoisseurs, because though I normally love OPI, Black Onyx is mediocre at best. A good black polish should go on opaque in one coat and look like black PVC with two and a top coat. Try Bloody Mary's black polish (or the one from the health food store line No Miss, really) for a black polish that doesn't go on watery or streaky. This is a disappointment, because I love the other black from this line, the more or less hematite-grey Black Satin.

on 2/26/2008 11:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I am a bit of a nail-junkie, so I know what i am talking about here! I only buy OPI polishes, because it's worth the money to me. Black Onyx is a great, pure black. If you love the dark nail trend, go get this color immediately (although it is tough to find). It does take 2 coats to achieve the bottle color, but that is the case with all brands. It lasts forever with a top coat, like all OPI polishes. I have already repurchased this because I broke my first bottle!

on 2/5/2008 10:35:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Love this nailpolish, goes on smooth (maybe a little liquidy), I need about two layers of polish to get the colour I want , but I've had it on for about 4 days and I only have one chip. Lasts way longer then the cheaper brands I've tried, will defintely buy again.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

Creamy, opaque, true black; dries to a shiny finish. You'll need at least 2 coats (or 3 really thin ones) to achieve the colour of the bottle -- so don't despair when your first coat results in transparent charcoal, it does build to a true rich black. Glides on without streaks; lasts for days without budging. I won't repurchase because it's just too much; it'll look fine for a night out dancing but for everyday it's just too...well, black. But if that's what you're looking for then this is your shade.

on 11/10/2007 12:15:00 AM

This is a black nail polish and while some people may think that all blacks are the same it isn't true. This one goes on so smooth and streak-free. The new wider brush really does make for a flawless application. I cannot comment on how long it lasts w/out chipping; but I just painted them yesterday and so far so good. I love it and highly recommend to any female that likes black nail polishes other than on Halloween. I would and probably will repurchase.

on 10/29/2007 6:11:00 PM

I had this color done for a pedicure this weekend and I love it! It's such a deep, rich color and it looks very sophisticated. I admit I had it done mostly for Halloween but I think I'm going to buy it to use for now on.

on 10/14/2007 11:43:00 PM

I agree with the below review. I thought it was incredibly thick, and took forever to dry. Once it did dry it looked horrible on my nails. After I was done I ended up noticing a bunch of smudges on my fingers of the polish. I doubt I'll go back to Black Onyx, it just didn't do what other OPI nailpolishes do for me. :(

Also - It took me FOREVER to get my bottle open, Ugh I had to use one of those nutcrackers to get it open and by the time it did get open the cover is all chewed up.

on 9/24/2007 10:38:00 PM

Black Onyx is a glossy, true black but it has a horribly thick, gloopy texture. Maybe I bought a bad bottle because my other OPI polishes have a thinner consistency and are much easier to apply, which is a shame as this is my favourite and most used colour. It also seems to take longer to dry than the others.

Popular Polishes