August 1, 2014 | 953 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - #187 Duo Fiber Face Brush (Stippling, Skunk Brush)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2013 9:16:00 PM More reviews by Dc8420

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Blue

Life changing brush. I use this to apply my mac studio fix fluid foundation and it gives a flawless look and i think it makes my pores appear smaller

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2013 9:06:00 PM More reviews by queenbee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Absolutely love this brush! Its one of the bestest brushes I've ever purchased. I use everyday, for my foundation - its great for applying liquid foundation such as Mac Studio Fix Fluid, makes application quick and does not make foundation look cakey and it has that airbrush finish to it. I actually prefer this instead of a foundation brush as it does not require much effort to blend. The brush is expensive however, if taken care of properly can last several years - I've had mine since 2009, I still use it and its now 2013! A great buy as it can be used on other things such as applying blushers or even loose powders.

The only downside of the brush is a slight shedding but I guess that is something that happens with make up brushes. I highly recommend this brush specially for beginners!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/22/2013 5:08:00 PM More reviews by xjayle

Gives flawless application. Only if clean & dry. If the brush is already used, it will look streaky. It's a huge hassle cleaning it every night & here's a problem you've heard definitely more than once about this brush, it sheds like #%*#$@ crazy. People suggested that washing the brush would help prevent the shedding but it doesn't help at all. I don't recommend getting this brush. Especially at the price it's at..

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2013 4:49:00 AM More reviews by Alexandra123Y

It is a great brush for applying liquid and powder foundations, especially if you are aiming for a light coverage. As the bristles are quite long and not so dense it makes it easy to control the amount of product you use.
What I like about this brush is that it doesn't pride a lot of coverage which I am not e fan of, especially on a daily basis. My foundations are weightless liquid ones (MAC Face & Body, MUFE Face & Body). So first I get some product onto my hand then dip the brush in and dot the foundation all over, then I work it thoroughly with 187 and get an airbrushed finish.
The can also be used for applying cream blushes unless you have very small cheek area.
I didn't have shedding issues. Will serve you a long time.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/15/2013 11:53:00 AM More reviews by bee95x

I've always heard that M.A.C has fantastic brushes. However, after purchasing this brush (which happened to be my first M.A.C brush) I am quite disappointed.

The bristles come off! The application no doubt is amazing, definitely creates that "airbrushed" effect. Nonetheless, the process of removing the brush hairs from my face after applying is annoying! Such a well reputed company should surely not be having the same problems as that of brushes by some such as E.L.F (given their price range it is partially acceptable). This brush was expensive ... I really think I could have invested the money on something better.

It's not like I'll stop using the brush, but I am quite disappointed. In addition, the foundation stain on the white portion of the brush does not go away after several washes. :/

Quite a long post. Hope it helps though! (:

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/7/2013 11:10:00 PM More reviews by FlyLikeAG6

The big, bad 187 brush from MAC! I finally caved after several years and spent the $42.00 to see what all the fuss was about. While you're at the MAC counter you get to hold this lovely, well-crafted brush with luxurious hairs. The MAC artist even applies foundation on you and it looks flawless. "I MUST HAVE THIS BRUSH," you think to yourself. Then you get home and use it for the first time and get stuck picking 10 black hairs off your face!!! I've been using this brush 3-4 times a week for three months and I'm still picking at least three brush hairs off my face after each use. I clean my brushes daily with Sephora's spray cleaner and shampoo them weekly with baby shampoo. So three months = roughly 12 shampooings, and there's still shedding. In fact, this is the only brush that I own that sheds.

For comparison, before splurging on the 187, I had the ELF Studio Stipple Brush ($3.00!!!). While the 187 is much denser and applies foundation so much better, the ELF Studio Stipple DOES NOT SHED AT ALL, probably because it is completely synthetic.

Something else that irks me is that the white synthetic hairs of the 187 never become white again. You can shampoo it two or three times, it just won't happen. The ELF Studio Stipple washes beautifully and looks unused after being shampooed. I know it isn't a quality brush, but c'mon. If ELF can get a $3.00 brush to come out looking clean, why can't MAC?!?

As for foundation application, there's a learning curve for anyone who previously used sponges or a traditional foundation brush for liquid foundations. Just remember that with the 187, a little foundation goes a long way. If you use Studio Fix or ColorStay, only get color on a few tips of the white hairs and start stippling quickly, and work in small areas. Dabbing the brush in product and smearing it on your face is not going to work! I like this brush because it allows me to only use a tiny bit of foundation to get great coverage (which no, the ELF Studio Stipple isn't as great as the MAC 187).

Would I repurchase? Probably not. I'd try any other "skunk" brush before going back to this one if it ever got lost. Hopefully the shedding will eventually stop.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/5/2013 10:49:00 AM More reviews by kaikaii

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this brush a few years back and it is still one of my favs. I have a few other brushes from real techniques & sigma ect but this by far for me gives the most natural finished look. I find alot of other brushes apply a more un-natural & cakey layer of foundation where as this brush blends well & I also find I can use a lot less foundation when applying with this. I do agree though the it is pricey but I cant complain since its done me so well over time :)

rated 4 of 5 on 4/5/2013 7:12:00 AM More reviews by ilovepeterrabbit404

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I use this brush every single day to apply my foundation love it. I take forever doing my make up and find it difficult to get an even layer without patches , this brush makes application so fast and easy. It gives a natural look , doesn't look too heavy but gives that airbrushed finish.Still I wouldn't dare purchase this from MAC , I think anyone who spends that much money on one make up brush is crazy. No offence:)x

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2013 12:36:00 AM More reviews by FaceofMaleah

I bought this brush a week ago and so far it seems to be serving me well. I was kind of surprised at how expensive this brush worked out to be ($57 including tax) so I kept the receipt in case there is anything at all with the brush that I am displeased with. I use this brush to apply foundation since I am always hearing about what an airbrushed finish stippling brushes give you and so I wanted to try it out. The first few times I used it I would dip my brush in the foundation on the back of my hand and apply it to my face from there but I found that it made the foundation too full coverage for my liking so now I sloppily apply the foundation to my face with my fingers first and then do the final blending with the brush. I was kind of surprised at how flimsy the brush was, I was expecting it to be more dense and sturdy but it is definitely neither of those! Two things I am kind of unimpressed at right now is that it seems to be shedding and I have washed the brush twice since buying it and both times, black dye has run from the bristles. While I don't enjoy that I am trying to relate it to when you bring a paintbrush home and need to use it a few times first before it stops shedding and leaking dye but I really don't like taking a brush home and having it do that for $57. I will update if I return this brush but so far it seems to be serving me okay.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2013 2:23:00 AM More reviews by MacMegan33

This was my first brush I bought, I bought it to set it with my studio fix with the mineralize powder. I absolutely adore this brush it blends powder perfectly, the salesperson recommended this to me and said its better than using a regular powder brush. It's true I was using my cousin make-up once ( I was an emergency, I don't like sharing make-up) and I used her powder brush and it just wasn't the same finish, it made the mineralize powder off all messy on the compact and wasted a lot more product, my mineralize powder and studio fix last over a year.
I actually was unaware that you could use this for liquid foundation as well, and tried it and the results were AWFUL, for me the brush hairs clumped together and left me STREAKY.
I am usually NW20 in the winter and NW30 in the summer, I only have the NW30, so it could possibly be that I need to use NW20 now since I have moved to a tropical climate and only needed to use NW30 until the pass couple of months,its like my tan faded over night hahaha. I am about to get Colorstay in Buff since I am a little tight on money right now. I will tell you how re-applying with the 187 goes with that. Maybe its the foundation not being the correct shade. But so far I would say I am effy on the results. I prefer to use it for the Mineralize Powder. The 187 and mineralize powder is my HG they work together so well.

****update****
I bought Revlon Colorstay Whipped and using the 187 gives a perfect air brushed finished. My jaw dropped how is this possible to get such different results.....This brush is made for creams, the brush is awesome. I guess studio fix and color stay are too liquid for the brush. I wish I had two brushes one for foundations and blending also wonder if they make a smaller one for cream blushes it would be heavenly. I love to use a clean 187 for blending bronzer and blush. I could honestly buy three with no regrets! I use this brush so much. I just want to say I have had my brush for four years and it still sheds:( not as much barely but its a trooper!!! good quality minus the shedding.