October 31, 2014 | 1664 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - #187 Duo Fiber Face Brush (Stippling, Skunk Brush)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2013 1:09:00 AM More reviews by Xexuxa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

I have had the 187 brush for years and it serves a lot of purposes. One of the things its great at doing is applying products that are very bright or pigmented very lightly. I love MAC Fever blush but I apply it with the 187 because it applies is sheerly. It makes products look very translucent on the skin because it applies products lightly yet blends them out very well.
I recommend this blush or one like it for any makeup brush kit.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2013 4:06:00 PM More reviews by hannahbanana13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this brush , it works for applying foundation , bronzer and powder ! its multi use and great quality would recommend it !

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2013 11:36:00 PM More reviews by ladolcediva

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Amazing multipurpose brush! I love this tool for applying liquid and cream foundations, as it gives an airbrushed look. It's also great for applying highly pigmented products. I highly recommend this brush!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2013 11:29:00 PM More reviews by longzi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love this brush.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2013 9:16:00 PM More reviews by Dc8420

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Blue

Life changing brush. I use this to apply my mac studio fix fluid foundation and it gives a flawless look and i think it makes my pores appear smaller

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2013 9:06:00 PM More reviews by queenbee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Absolutely love this brush! Its one of the bestest brushes I've ever purchased. I use everyday, for my foundation - its great for applying liquid foundation such as Mac Studio Fix Fluid, makes application quick and does not make foundation look cakey and it has that airbrush finish to it. I actually prefer this instead of a foundation brush as it does not require much effort to blend. The brush is expensive however, if taken care of properly can last several years - I've had mine since 2009, I still use it and its now 2013! A great buy as it can be used on other things such as applying blushers or even loose powders.

The only downside of the brush is a slight shedding but I guess that is something that happens with make up brushes. I highly recommend this brush specially for beginners!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/22/2013 5:08:00 PM More reviews by xjayle

Gives flawless application. Only if clean & dry. If the brush is already used, it will look streaky. It's a huge hassle cleaning it every night & here's a problem you've heard definitely more than once about this brush, it sheds like #%*#$@ crazy. People suggested that washing the brush would help prevent the shedding but it doesn't help at all. I don't recommend getting this brush. Especially at the price it's at..

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2013 4:49:00 AM More reviews by Alexandra123Y

It is a great brush for applying liquid and powder foundations, especially if you are aiming for a light coverage. As the bristles are quite long and not so dense it makes it easy to control the amount of product you use.
What I like about this brush is that it doesn't pride a lot of coverage which I am not e fan of, especially on a daily basis. My foundations are weightless liquid ones (MAC Face & Body, MUFE Face & Body). So first I get some product onto my hand then dip the brush in and dot the foundation all over, then I work it thoroughly with 187 and get an airbrushed finish.
The can also be used for applying cream blushes unless you have very small cheek area.
I didn't have shedding issues. Will serve you a long time.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/15/2013 11:53:00 AM More reviews by bee95x

I've always heard that M.A.C has fantastic brushes. However, after purchasing this brush (which happened to be my first M.A.C brush) I am quite disappointed.

The bristles come off! The application no doubt is amazing, definitely creates that "airbrushed" effect. Nonetheless, the process of removing the brush hairs from my face after applying is annoying! Such a well reputed company should surely not be having the same problems as that of brushes by some such as E.L.F (given their price range it is partially acceptable). This brush was expensive ... I really think I could have invested the money on something better.

It's not like I'll stop using the brush, but I am quite disappointed. In addition, the foundation stain on the white portion of the brush does not go away after several washes. :/

Quite a long post. Hope it helps though! (:

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/7/2013 11:10:00 PM More reviews by FlyLikeAG6

The big, bad 187 brush from MAC! I finally caved after several years and spent the $42.00 to see what all the fuss was about. While you're at the MAC counter you get to hold this lovely, well-crafted brush with luxurious hairs. The MAC artist even applies foundation on you and it looks flawless. "I MUST HAVE THIS BRUSH," you think to yourself. Then you get home and use it for the first time and get stuck picking 10 black hairs off your face!!! I've been using this brush 3-4 times a week for three months and I'm still picking at least three brush hairs off my face after each use. I clean my brushes daily with Sephora's spray cleaner and shampoo them weekly with baby shampoo. So three months = roughly 12 shampooings, and there's still shedding. In fact, this is the only brush that I own that sheds.

For comparison, before splurging on the 187, I had the ELF Studio Stipple Brush ($3.00!!!). While the 187 is much denser and applies foundation so much better, the ELF Studio Stipple DOES NOT SHED AT ALL, probably because it is completely synthetic.

Something else that irks me is that the white synthetic hairs of the 187 never become white again. You can shampoo it two or three times, it just won't happen. The ELF Studio Stipple washes beautifully and looks unused after being shampooed. I know it isn't a quality brush, but c'mon. If ELF can get a $3.00 brush to come out looking clean, why can't MAC?!?

As for foundation application, there's a learning curve for anyone who previously used sponges or a traditional foundation brush for liquid foundations. Just remember that with the 187, a little foundation goes a long way. If you use Studio Fix or ColorStay, only get color on a few tips of the white hairs and start stippling quickly, and work in small areas. Dabbing the brush in product and smearing it on your face is not going to work! I like this brush because it allows me to only use a tiny bit of foundation to get great coverage (which no, the ELF Studio Stipple isn't as great as the MAC 187).

Would I repurchase? Probably not. I'd try any other "skunk" brush before going back to this one if it ever got lost. Hopefully the shedding will eventually stop.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No