September 1, 2014 | 1801 users online

Stick - Shiseido - The makeup Stick Foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 4/23/2009 5:07:00 PM More reviews by aliceayres

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

i initially bought Dual Balancing and was totally disappointed with having to blot every hour on the hour. i went back and the SA suggested this (i also had seen the reviews for it). at first i wasn't too sold on it, but that was my fault- my application was a little flawed. also, this may dry you out a bit if your face is having a bit of a dry spell. it also seemed to call attention to any dry bits (but this seems to be the norm). i barely have to blot this! the coverage is totally buildable, i am recovering form a the horomonal breakout form hell, and it covers all of the red marks. i can build the coverage, and i still cannot feel it on my skin (unlike how it is with MAC's Studio Fix Fluid IMO). even at the end of the day, i am not hankering to run home and wash my face off immediately. my face can actually BREATHE.

my only quarrels are with the shade difference. in Dual Balancing i'm an O40, and i picked up the same shade and it's a bit too dark (but not OH MY GOD i'm orange dark- i just look a little bit more tanned). for reference, i'm in-between an NC25 and NC20. the fragrance is overwhelming for me as well.

in terms of application, on a clean face i will make a few marks on the forehead, one on the nose, a few (kind of like whiskers) coming from around the nose to the cheeks. i then blend with a damp sponge. i add extra coverage where i need more, blend a little more, and set with MUFE HD Microfinish powder.

edit: taking it down by one lippie... i bought the lighter color and it's too light! so where does THAT leave me?

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2009 1:09:00 PM More reviews by auburngal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Why isn't this under the "Stick" subcategory? Oh well...

I rebought this last night after trolling Nordstrom's to find my match. I had wasted money on a Bobbi Brown stick foundation (need a stick for travel) that didn't match. No BB matches - all too yellow. Same for Laura Mercier (what's with makeup artists and very yellow foundations anyway?). So back to Shiseido I went. I've had the compact makeup foundation before and the stick, and in both forms the color is true, at least for me (I wear I00 Very Light Ivory). I like the texture of stick foundations in general, having dry skin. The SPF 17 or so that Shiseido adds is a plus in my opinion, though I wear a sunscreen moisturizer everyday always. It's pricey, but not as expensive as either BB or LM. The case is like everyone's, not meant to be seen. No discernible scent (good for me with sensitive skin). Finally, I have rosacea and find this to feel good on my skin, even if my skin is bare. I apply it in different ways, depending upon the amount of coverage I want. Right now I like a foundation brush (Posh's is good and cheap).
Bottom line: foundation has to match your skintone, IMO. Stick foundation is good for drier skin, bad for oilier skins. Shiseido's color line is pretty complete across skintones. If you are having trouble finding your match, give Shiseido a try.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/24/2009 1:52:00 AM More reviews by Windupdolly

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I loved the idea of this product but it was not right for me. Although the color was a great match for my skin (Shade 20) It seemed to really emphasize the flakes on my face, it needed frequent touch-ups, and it had an unnecessary added fragrance.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2009 12:58:00 PM More reviews by Tanny

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Finally, a foundation for dry skin that offers light to medium coverage. A little goes a long way and I don't mind paying more for a product that delivers and will last long. Great consistency! I will repurchase. EDIT: Changing the rating to 5 lippies...this stuff rocks!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2008 11:00:00 PM More reviews by moth

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

It surprises me that more people are not using this product. I originally bought this on the recommendation of a Sephora SA to replace the discontinued Iman stick. This is lighter and gives better coverage. I had stopped using it for a while because the smell is very strong (which is why it gets 4 Overall instead of 5). But I tried it again a few days ago (for the first time using a brush, even), and almost kicked myself wondering why I had stopped. Since the Iman stick was discontinued, I've gone through several foundations -- check my reviews for proof -- trying to find as good a match. What was I thinking? My color is O20, pale and slightly yellow, and a dead-on match for my skin. The best thing about this foundation is the packaging: it travels well.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2008 10:00:00 PM More reviews by Toxy

This stick foundation is amazing! I have combination skin, and my face gets a tiny bit oily at the end of the day. Like others said this makeup just literally MELTS into your skin and blends. When i use it and set it with a powder, most people are surprised to hear i wear foundation. They thought my skin was naturally flawless. (oh how i wish.) This is my HG foundation, lasts me about 5 to 6 months per stick. The application is super easy too, takes me about 2 minutes to apply with a foundation brush. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/3/2008 11:13:00 AM More reviews by BEC933

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I like this product.

It melts into my skin and doesn't stick to the dry flakes around my nose and on my chin. I literally apply and rub in--with my fingers, within seconds. Easy! You DO need to set this product,though, with a translucent powder.

I would not recommend this for someone with oily skin as it is very rich and creamy. This is definitely more geared for dry skin.

Reasonably priced and great, natural coverage!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/4/2008 3:58:00 PM More reviews by mziskin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

While I love this makeup, they have discontinued their darker shades. I used to wear an "080" but the highest they have now is "060". It is still ok, I love the stick application, it is easy, the undertones are great and when you first put it on it gives you a photofinish look, however under bright light it looks pretty cakey. That being said, if your skintone is really uneven it is a great product for that. It is also very pricey for a tube that lasts me maybe 2 weeks if i am lucky...the thing with this makeup is you have to reapply about 5 times a day...and it is ULTRA rub off...I barely touch my face sometimes and grab papers at work and they have makeup spots all over them! Bottom line, not for a natural look, but gives a great finish, I get many complements on my skin when i wear this and covers most flaws.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2008 3:40:00 AM More reviews by Vaniessa

This is the BEST Stick foundation that i've ever tried!!it covers my pimples and acne scars perfectly and it literally melts into your skin!!!however, it is not as long-lasting as i had hoped for, but i can't stop loving it as it looks natural on my skin yet the coverage is good. Definately gonna get it again!!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/1/2008 10:37:00 PM More reviews by jacobina

I am a lover of stick foundations and i usually use Napoleon stick foundation but i was in myer and i thought what the hell... i will try something new. I have only used this a couple of times and the first time i used it was a at night and it seemed to look great- however i used it the following morning and i wasn't all that impressed, although it felt very light weight and the colour was relatively close to the colour i normally use i found that the coverage just wasn't what i wanted. I have a couple of pimples at the moment that haven't fully disapeared and it didn't cover them well enough. It does melt into the skin beautifully but usually stick foundations have buildable coverage, wheras i find with this one if i apply more to cover it looks to orange. Im not sure if it was just the primer i used- which tends to make the skin slippery if it hasn't soaked into the skin before make up application- but i always find with this particulair brand that the coverage is never what i anticipate it to be. I plan to mix it with abit of my napoleon to see if that will make a difference... i hope so because this is a little more than i usually pay for my foundation. If my skin was in it's usuall clear state i think this would be ok... it doesn't rub off onto everything which is good but overall it's average.