Guerlain Les Meteorites balls powder

4.1

on 11/26/2011 12:16:00 AM

Bought these meteorites based on MUA reviews but am quite disappointed. I just don't see the subtle glows raved about by some others. Yes, it is pretty, smells nice and imparts a very gentle shimmer, but I see no benefit of this product whatsoever. Sorry.

on 11/15/2011 2:03:00 AM

I bought these in Beige Teint, the new formula housed in the silver metal tin. Let me start by saying that I only would not repurchase because they are a duplicate product for me. There is nothing to complain about in the products performance, packaging or purpose. I wear Guerlain's foundations in #02 Beige Clair, and this version of the meteorites is perfect for me. The balls are lilac, peach, beige and white. Although the colour of them really is redundant since there is no colour payoff anyway.

Sold as an illuminator I really think they will fall short in that category for most people. If by illuminator you want something that will give you an obvious pale sheen in a specific part of your face, the meteorites will not do that. This is actually a finishing powder that yes does add a subtle luminescence, but for the most part gives a satin sheen that hides pores. And here is why I won't repurchase. I already owm Guerlains Les Voilettes fishing powder so I don't really need another one. Both for these powders do exactly the same thing. Hide pores, give an airbrushed finish and provide a very subtle satiny sheen to the skin. If you own the meteorites you will not need a finishing powder for your foundation. It's worth noting however that there is zero coverage from the meteorites and I seriously doubt they even out skin tone regardless of what colour the balls are. It's a translucent finishing powder best applied with a large soft brush.

The meteorites are such an iconic item for Guerlain that they will never retire them, regardless of how redundant they may be in the product lineup. The new formula is a lot softer. Previously you needed a fairly stiff brush to pick up the powder, but any soft synthetic brush of a decent size will work just fine now. The tin comes with a latex sponge inserted, this isn't for application purposes it's to stop the balls from breaking during transit.

I love my meteorites just because they are so pretty and prettily packaged.I don't regret buying them but there is no need to own both these and a finishing powder as well. One or the other will do. Guerlains powder formulations are very consistent across the line. They all hide imperfections and give glow in the same manner, you are safe with any of them. as with all Guerlain products they smell like candy, fragrance haters beware.

The meteorites would make a fabulous first makeup piece for a young girl, simply because they are so pretty and at the same time, extremely natural and light on the skin. There is no chance an inappropriately made up look could result. All they would do is enhance the already divine skin of the youthful without coverage.

on 11/13/2011 3:15:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

I hate to rain on everybody parade but I just think that it would be fair to give another side of the story.
I bought the lightest pearls after painful cringing at the price ($60 CAN). After all everybody kept saying that it makes their skin look so good. Well, majority is always right, right? Wrong!!! Always listen to your intuition and look at the ingridients. This bl****dy expensive thing is made out of TALC. Yes, cheap baby powder, that's famous for clogging properties- the very 1st ingridient . I loved the look of the box but opening it was frustrating - there would be dusty particles flying all over in the air (I literally saw my hard earned small dollar signs flying around, what a waste of and expensive product).
My face is a mess and every little bit of help in terms of make up makes a difference for me. I have HUUGE pores, oily face and I am very picky about my setting powders (I have them all: HD, MAC Prep/Prime, Tarte, Dr. Hauchka, Laura Mercier etc. etc). I use lots of mattifing products due to my skin nature and texture so I end up looking too powdery and overdone sometimes. So a little shimmer just brings me back to life.
First of all if you have big pores - don't get it, it makes them so obvious and talc cloggs them, second if you are oily - don't get it, talc will not last and hold oil well. Thirdly if you r looking for an illuminating effect - don't get it, it is way too make-upy sparkly Twighlight type. Who should get it - people with even, nearly perfect skin who r quite burdened with money and carry a big bag around for touch ups. Sounds like Paris Hilton.
Try it at Sephora , go outside and look in the mirror then. I bet then you won't be tempted to waste your hard earned money since what you will see won't cost the hype.

on 11/11/2011 6:26:00 AM

Instant complexion brightener. I use mine (01 Mythic and 03 Beige Chic, version before renewal) as an all-over finishing powder. It sets foundation nicely and leaves the impression that my skin glowing from within.
Expensive, but one box of these pretty pearls practically lasts forever - and I use mine everyday. I usually don't splurge on HE makeup, largely because I can't afford to, but this one is an exception with reason.

on 10/25/2011 5:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I adore these little things!!! The packaging, the smell, the beautiful glow it imparts on my face, I just love em!! In fact, my love for these is the only thing that could justify the price of $60 US. Never in my life have I spent so much money on a powder, but I have a feeling these will last me forever. I use this all over my face whether I'm wearing liquid foundation, tinted moisturizer or nothing at all, and it literally just diffuses all of my flaws and leaves me completely glowing. I don't find the shimmer too much for day use either. On top of that, I just feel glamorous even applying it...it's my favorite part of my makeup routine! I will definately repurchase!

on 8/7/2011 12:38:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I love these. The pearlescence is meant to be light-diffusing so this is a sort of special-effect powder; not a regular run-of-the-mill face setting powder. I don't use it to set foundation; I just use light dusting over areas where I have issues with pores or discolorization (around the aides of my chin; cheeks). The slight shimmer gives a muted soft-lighting effect. It does seem to blur imperfections a bit but it isn't a miracle-worker by any means. It's more of a luxury and a very fun one; if you enjoy your makeups and your pamperings of yourself by all means - get you some ballz.

Beautiful in the tin (mine is metal; not cardboard [?!] -I have shade 02); smells divine and the softlighting effect thing works wonderfully for me. Subtle though and doesn't seem to have a very long life; for this reason I would like a portable version but at $170 US the pressed compacts are ridiculously overpriced; refills are a little more "reasonable" (relatively speaking - $70). There's also a smaller built-in powder-puff loose powder portable version that's about $70 US I think; this one I would love to try but I cannot get over the idea of that puff not being removable -- how does one clean it? I can't imagine never washing it; it'd become a bacteria farm inside of a month touching it directly to even a moderately oily or even just made-up face.

Anyway -- the ballz themselves are definitely worth having. They will likely last forever. In loose and pressed versions the multi-colored bits are just adorable. They're also completely unnecessary to women in their teens and twenties for what they are meant to do; if you're underwhelmed it's likely because you have no need for such a product unless you're looking for some shimmer.

Great product. Will definitely repurchase in all its various over-priced formats.

on 8/2/2011 1:09:00 PM

I love the idea and concept of the product, but they did nothing for me....
I used them over my make up to get that lustery effect and I can see the difference on my face, I dont know if the reason is that the shade may be wrong for me???
the packaging is lovely and very refined..... others commet on the smell wich i find divine... but I guess it is just me.... maybe with a different shade i couls see a difference will have to try it out.......

on 7/31/2011 1:45:00 PM

These little balls are so pretty. I got them, along with the brush, YEARS ago. They last a really long time, and 5+ years later, there are still some left. It's shimmery, but not too bad. I think it's the perfect amount. I never used the puff, I hate puffs and sponges. I think they're gross, so other than keeping everything inside, the puff was completely useless to me. If I had the money, yes I would buy it again.

on 2/19/2011 2:32:00 PM

I LOVE these. I have three of them and plan to buy more as new collections come out. The first one I bought is in the colour Mythic. It is the lightest colour and I use it almost everyday over my makeup. The smell is lovely and it gives a beautiful, soft finish that brightens my face but is neither too shimmery nor too matte. I use SK's dome brush to apply all over and a "windshield wiper" brush under my eyes to set my concealer and blend out my eye shadow. I have the darker Tient D'Ore which I use to add a little colour, like a very light bronzer. My third box is from the 2010 Holiday Collection and it has Guerlain's signature Imperial Bee on top. The colour is called Perles D'Or and it has mauve, pink, and gold beads that make it more like a blush, albeit a very light one. The colours are very subtle and I think it would be hard to over do it. Guerlain was known for its violet scented face powders more 100 years ago and they are still doing it right. Like everything else from this brand, Meteorites are expensive but they seem to last forever and look beautiful displayed on your vanity or dresser. Unnecessary but recommended.

on 11/19/2010 2:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is my HG highlighter. The color is very natural and the granule is invisible on the face. I will stick to this product in the future.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

This vs.That | Guerlain Météorites vs. Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder | JJ BeautyRoom by JJ BeautyRoom