MAC Up The Amp

4.7

I LOVE this colour--it's perfect for my skin tone which is considered 'cool'. This shade was recommended to me by a makeup professional at a MAC store, and she was spot-on. I was leaning towards the pale-pink-pastel shades that are so popular but when I tried one on, I looked so silly. Up the Amp however, is a pinky-purple and is perfect for those of us who want the modern looking pastel shade of lipstick but can't pull off the pure pinky-white pigment. I highly recommend this to anyone with cool-toned skin! It's a really unique look without looking like you have hypothermia:)

on 10/4/2013 1:52:00 PM

UPDATE: On my skin NW20 skin, almost black hair, brown eyes, I am finding Berry Haute much easier to wear. Up the Amp is fun and cool, but I feel like it might sit on someone with blonde hair and light eyes better than it does me. It's not bad, but Berry Haute slips on easier and looks a bit more easy.

ORIGINAL POST: I agree with one of the previous reviewers here (faija I think). While this is similar to Revlon's Berry Haute, Up the Amp, well...it ups the amp. It is just more ooomph than Berry Haute and the texture, color and wear are just more intense, stronger, bolder (got to love that amplified creme finish). Berry Haute is like Up the Amps little sister...sweet and beautiful, but just not yet having the extra sex appeal, sophistication and pizazz as Up the Amp. I love Berry Haute, but it is a much more tame version of Up the Amp (and easier to wear). As for the color of Up the Amp, it is a purple toned shade with elements of berry and fuchsia. I am Nw20 with almost black hair (3n), brown eyes, and rosey lips.

PS - I am pretty sure this and Girl About Town are the two shades that Felicity on Arrow wore the first season. I loved the pop of color on her.

on 10/1/2013 12:07:00 PM

I have known of this lipstick but I just never gave in. It looks like a scary pastel purple in the tube. I would always swatch it on the back of my hand but never bothered applying it on my lips. One day, I was playing at MAC with a friend and I decided to finally put it on. I showed her and she liked it, even the MAC girl loved it on me (but isnt that what they all say to try and sell you their products lol).

I have this thing where I wear different lipsticks everyday just so I can rotate and give them all love. And lets just say that this has gotten more love than any of the other ones the past few weeks. It is bright but I think it's more wearable than a red. At least for me it is. On me it turns pinky and becomes more pink as it fades. It is an Amplified, the best MAC lipstick formula in my opinion. It is vanilla scented as to be expected. I wear it with just mascara and a cooler pink blush and it's suitable for everyday.

on 9/17/2013 8:33:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I'm an NC 45 for reference. This lipstick has fantastic, texture and payoff. It's a very nice color, but personally I use MAC Magenta lip liner underneath to give it some punch. I find this color is a little flat on me, but magenta hits it out of the park. The only reason I wouldn't purchase again, is because I have a lot of similar colors that I don't have to "build" in order to get the effect I want.

on 9/16/2013 5:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

MY FAVOURITEEEEEEEE MAC LIPSTICK BY FAR.
the colour is catchy and lovely but at the same time it can be wore so casually as well.
slides onto the lips so softly and smoothly , lasts long enough.
the colour just does everything for me! i wear it nearly everyday lolol!

on 8/14/2013 12:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I'm finally reviewing this after my second tube of this color. For reference, I have medium to tan Asian skin (NC35-NC40, MUFE in #123 and use MAC skinfinish natural powder in Medium-Dark). This color just pops against my skin tone with out being clownish. I've always used pinkish colors but have been wanting a brighter color without the red tones in most other pinks. This one would be a blue-purple base and it just enhances the golden tones in my complexion. Since I also have darker pigmented lips, this doesn't show up as bright and vivid so it is easy for me to use as a casual color with out looking overly made up as well. If you have fairer skin, this may pop and work for you as a "brighter" color. I would categorize this in the mauve family so if you have my coloring but want something similar to this color but more tones down, you should try "saucy mauve" from L'Oreal. I also love that color for my slightly paler lipped look. I pair "Up the Amp" with a peachy pink cheek and shimmery copper or taupe eyes and it looks amazing. I can def picture this looking amazing on dark skin as well.

on 7/16/2013 7:22:00 AM

aaaaaaaaaa

on 7/16/2013 4:48:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

i like this lipstick and it comes up beautiful on my nc45 skin this lipstick was mosturising and lovely to wear as it is creamy and light its also can be worn after sheerly with a couple of dabs or with a couple coats it was fully opaque i also found that it comes out a different colors on different people

another wonderful lipstick mac!

on 6/26/2013 9:35:00 AM

I recently purchased this lipstick maily based on all the great reviews ive seen plus the colour looks rich. it is very creamy and stays on all day actually. well, i've used it a couple of times and i don't know what to say about this product.first time i applied it, i used a lip balm as a base and then applied the lipstick. the second time i used the lipstick alone without a balm. i wonder if i am doing something wrong/ im still trying to get used to the colour anyway, makes me feel old i think.
I now enjoy wearing this! Use it with a lip liner most of the time and it turns out perfect. Lovely shade, will definitely purchase again and again.

on 5/29/2013 10:40:00 PM

I was skeptical on getting this color but decided to go for it considering all the positive reviews!! I loveeeeeeeeee it...looks amazing with no eye makeup and with a smokey eye...Buy it you wont regret it :)

Popular Lipsticks