Philosophy When Hope Is Not Enough - Serum

3.5

water (aqua), glyceryl polymethacrylate, pentylene glycol, propylene glycol, glycerin, butylene glycol, hydrolyzed soy protein, peg-7 glyceryl cocoate, palmitoyl pentapeptide-3, glutathione, potassium ascorbyl tocopheryl phosphate, larrea divaricata (chaparral) extract, sodium hyaluronate, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, allantoin, carbomer, lecithin, polysorbate 20, sodium hydroxide, phenoxyethanol, methylbromo glutaronitrile, fragrance, tetrasodium edta.

on 9/17/2010 8:32:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

For me, this stuff is miraculous. I mix it with the Vitamin C powder. (Note to Philosophy: You need to find a better way of scooping the vitamin C powder out. It is impossible to travel with that little spoon.) Within days of using the serum+C, the brown patches under my eyes lighten a lot. My skin looks brighter. It's just amazing to me. Despite my acne prone skin, I have not had problems with blocked pores. I also don't notice the smell during the day. However, if I don't take it off before I go to sleep, I start smelling an onion field and can't figure out where the smell comes from until I remember it's the serum. I agree that, if you also use the product on your neck and decollete, as I do, it gets expensive, but I don't care. It's just too great a product. (NB: I've never tried this without the C booster powder.)

on 8/13/2010 8:36:00 PM

I wanted to like this product as I am a huge fan of Purity and Micrexfoliating wash, but for my skin it just didn't do much. I bought it from QVC thinking I was getting a good value, but there is no value in a serum that doesn't give noticeable results. Estee Lauder's advanced night repair delivers much better results for me.

on 6/20/2010 1:31:00 PM

I don't know what about this serum seriously improves my skin, but something does. Whenever i finish a full bottle (3 drops in the morning under SPF) it strikes me that my skin looks a lot younger and better, with fewer wrinkles, than before (I usually rotate through a lot of different antioxidant serums, many of which are stronger/more high-powered on paper/definitely more pricey, such as CF Phloretin. So I am always surprised when my skin seems so much prettier with this one.) Maybe it's the hyaluronic acid plumping things up, or maybe there is change going on (please) at a more fundamental level.

It does seem to lighten discolorations, smooth wrinkles, and generally firm and lift a little. I find that this is the part of the basic philosophy "system" that actually has a positive effect (i.e. it's not hope in a jar, the cleanser or anything else, but really this.) Unlike many people, I adore the smell (white-tea-like) and feel (drinks in quickly while still imparting a good amount of moisture.)

I will note that this gives me light acne. Something about it is pore-clogging, and it's not antibacterial like some of the S. C. antioxidant serums, so there is a lot of possibility for new acne, which I always get with this. There is no time when I'm using this that I don't have at least 1-2 pimples active on my face and I definitely use acne cleansers etc. And yes, it's definitely this.

Previously this aspect had been a deal-breaker with WHINE for me, but now I am starting to respect the anti-aging benefits more seriously, and it's an ok trade-off.

on 5/13/2010 3:31:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

LOVE LOVE LOVE this stuff! I use it every morning with half a scoop of the Booster C powder, and my skin feels noticeably plumper and firmer, so it does really well under moisturizer. Helps keep my freckles at bay, and acne too. Only problem is how pricey it is, and it doesn't last very long

on 4/30/2010 8:02:00 PM

I am 30 with combo & acne prone skin. Many products irriate my skin and I use both differin and duac in the evenings for acne. I have been using this product for about a month by applying it once in the morning. I initially bought it for the antioxidants/sun damage protection to apply under moisturizer during the day. I have to say I fell in love with this product for some many other reasons. If I'm just going to the office and won't be in the sun then it is sufficient as my only form of moisturizer which is great since it makes my skin look less oily throughout the day compared to when I wear regular lotion based moisturizer. It also seems to be improving the appearance of the discoloration on my face. All in all it just makes my skin look great when I put it on. I highly recommend.

on 4/9/2010 5:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Pros:
-Decent packaging.

Cons:
-Smells rancid.
-Doesn't do ANYTHING to improve my skin.
-Stung my eyes.

Would not repurchase.

This was originally given to me as a gift and i've been using it ever since.

Its expensive, but when people randomly comment that your skin looks younger, its worth it. Once I started using it with the Vit C booster powder I notice not only had the texture of my skin improved but my skintone started evening out. This started to occur within days--I've never experienced that type of results before.

I am 43 and my skin looks better than it did 5 years ago. I apply it with the Vit C powder am and pm. Given the improvement, I will continue to use this forever.

on 2/16/2010 9:55:00 AM

This is for the Firming and Lifting Serum. I use it at night only, under my moisturizer. I'm 35-years-old with decent skin, but increasing redness of late and VERY puffy eyes. This is the only serum I have ever used that I actually believe does what it says it does. My skin is positively radiant in the morning. My eyes are less puffy, my cheeks are glowing, and this is in the middle of winter when I am usually a red, puffy faced mess. I never get enough sleep during the school year (I'm a teacher) and usually by this time of year I have to use makeup to walk out of the house at all. Not this year. The only thing I'm doing differently is this. I LOVE it. I was lucky to get it in swap, but will repurchase if I have to.

on 1/14/2010 6:41:00 PM

all in al a lovely moisturising serum, smells lovely, leaves skin hydrated. i find this very moisturising and therefore when i use it don't tend to bother with cream too. it really is quite lovely!

also, i'm talking about the replenising serum. the firming serum is horrible and leaves my skin feeling i just put egg white all over it.

on 12/27/2009 3:33:00 PM

PROS: The firming properties seemed to be real. You don't need much at all. I think it did help with fine lines a bit.

CONS: Smell is typical Phil; bad. Don't expect this to moisturize at all. Left me tight, so I had to moisturize almost right away.

Popular Face Skincare Products