October 25, 2014 | 973 users online

Skincare - Face - Philosophy - When Hope Is Not Enough - Serum

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2010 3:31:00 PM More reviews by Sunbabe684

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

LOVE LOVE LOVE this stuff! I use it every morning with half a scoop of the Booster C powder, and my skin feels noticeably plumper and firmer, so it does really well under moisturizer. Helps keep my freckles at bay, and acne too. Only problem is how pricey it is, and it doesn't last very long

rated 4 of 5 on 4/30/2010 8:02:00 PM More reviews by laurenau

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am 30 with combo & acne prone skin. Many products irriate my skin and I use both differin and duac in the evenings for acne. I have been using this product for about a month by applying it once in the morning. I initially bought it for the antioxidants/sun damage protection to apply under moisturizer during the day. I have to say I fell in love with this product for some many other reasons. If I'm just going to the office and won't be in the sun then it is sufficient as my only form of moisturizer which is great since it makes my skin look less oily throughout the day compared to when I wear regular lotion based moisturizer. It also seems to be improving the appearance of the discoloration on my face. All in all it just makes my skin look great when I put it on. I highly recommend.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2010 5:52:00 PM More reviews by LorelaiNoah

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

Pros:
-Decent packaging.

Cons:
-Smells rancid.
-Doesn't do ANYTHING to improve my skin.
-Stung my eyes.

Would not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2010 More reviews by cosec00

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was originally given to me as a gift and i've been using it ever since.

Its expensive, but when people randomly comment that your skin looks younger, its worth it. Once I started using it with the Vit C booster powder I notice not only had the texture of my skin improved but my skintone started evening out. This started to occur within days--I've never experienced that type of results before.

I am 43 and my skin looks better than it did 5 years ago. I apply it with the Vit C powder am and pm. Given the improvement, I will continue to use this forever.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2010 9:55:00 AM More reviews by Bones1

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is for the Firming and Lifting Serum. I use it at night only, under my moisturizer. I'm 35-years-old with decent skin, but increasing redness of late and VERY puffy eyes. This is the only serum I have ever used that I actually believe does what it says it does. My skin is positively radiant in the morning. My eyes are less puffy, my cheeks are glowing, and this is in the middle of winter when I am usually a red, puffy faced mess. I never get enough sleep during the school year (I'm a teacher) and usually by this time of year I have to use makeup to walk out of the house at all. Not this year. The only thing I'm doing differently is this. I LOVE it. I was lucky to get it in swap, but will repurchase if I have to.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2010 6:41:00 PM More reviews by pneggy

all in al a lovely moisturising serum, smells lovely, leaves skin hydrated. i find this very moisturising and therefore when i use it don't tend to bother with cream too. it really is quite lovely!

also, i'm talking about the replenising serum. the firming serum is horrible and leaves my skin feeling i just put egg white all over it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2009 3:33:00 PM More reviews by scopingforyou

PROS: The firming properties seemed to be real. You don't need much at all. I think it did help with fine lines a bit.

CONS: Smell is typical Phil; bad. Don't expect this to moisturize at all. Left me tight, so I had to moisturize almost right away.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2009 12:09:00 PM More reviews by inneroracle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I like to take a break from my Jan Marini every few months and then go back to it. I bought a Clarisonic recently and have been using the Purity Cleanser with it as it removes makeup really well. My skin is sensitive, combo, and my latest challenge is red acne scars and skin tone/texture. I wash with the Purity Cleanser in the PM and the Micro exfoliating wash in the AM, then I follow up with this serum. This serum is a gel consistency, and it goes on wet but sinks in quickly. I feel that it firms my skin and provides some moisture -- but not quite enough moisture in the evenings. Since my advanced makeup optional kit came with spf20 hope in a jar, I have just been using the Help Me Retinol at night after this and the sample of the eye cream. I need just a slight touch more moisture. All in all, a good product. I have been using this for about 2 weeks now, and my skin feels pretty good, my jaw line is firmer. I am not noticing any change yet in skin tone/texture though.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/28/2009 2:31:00 PM More reviews by vivcheung

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is a great product for the 30 something individual who is just starting to see small signs of aging such as uneven skin tone, darkness, dullness and slight loss of elasticity. I've been using this serum morning & evening for 2 weeks and I have already seen and felt dramatic improvements in skin texture, tone and brightness. My face just feels so much firmer, smoother and 'younger'. I had some blotchiness around my nose and cheeks and they have all but disappeared after starting this. It comes in a glass vial with a glass dropper. You only need a tiny amount to spread over the face and neck area...about the size of a dime. It's a very light serum, so it doesn't feel greasy or suffocating. I can't say how well it will work on lines and wrinkles, guess those who are wondering will have to try it out and see.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2009 11:29:00 PM More reviews by novelist

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I just purchased what must be my 6th or 7th bottle of this serum which I use with the philosophy vit. c powder and Hope In a Jar, every other night. I have used this serum in this manner for about 3 years now, and it has brightened my skin tone while ridding it of the last of the melasma which was the legacy of perimenopause. It is one of my key products for skin care and this trio works very well for me. Fine lines have softened and the overall texture of my skin has improved. I will say that this serum is for women over 30, like many of philosophy basic products for skin care. A young woman or girl with good skin will get little effect from this product which is targeted for skin which needs moisture and improved skin texture.

It is pricey but lasts me about 5-6 months; my alternate product is Albolene (on other nights) so I've got a handle on costs this way and I wouldn't use this product (in conjunction with the other philosophy products) every night anyway.