December 21, 2014 | 1107 users online

Skincare - Face - Philosophy - When Hope Is Not Enough - Serum

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2010 1:31:00 PM More reviews by SophieH

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I don't know what about this serum seriously improves my skin, but something does. Whenever i finish a full bottle (3 drops in the morning under SPF) it strikes me that my skin looks a lot younger and better, with fewer wrinkles, than before (I usually rotate through a lot of different antioxidant serums, many of which are stronger/more high-powered on paper/definitely more pricey, such as CF Phloretin. So I am always surprised when my skin seems so much prettier with this one.) Maybe it's the hyaluronic acid plumping things up, or maybe there is change going on (please) at a more fundamental level.

It does seem to lighten discolorations, smooth wrinkles, and generally firm and lift a little. I find that this is the part of the basic philosophy "system" that actually has a positive effect (i.e. it's not hope in a jar, the cleanser or anything else, but really this.) Unlike many people, I adore the smell (white-tea-like) and feel (drinks in quickly while still imparting a good amount of moisture.)

I will note that this gives me light acne. Something about it is pore-clogging, and it's not antibacterial like some of the S. C. antioxidant serums, so there is a lot of possibility for new acne, which I always get with this. There is no time when I'm using this that I don't have at least 1-2 pimples active on my face and I definitely use acne cleansers etc. And yes, it's definitely this.

Previously this aspect had been a deal-breaker with WHINE for me, but now I am starting to respect the anti-aging benefits more seriously, and it's an ok trade-off.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2010 3:31:00 PM More reviews by Sunbabe684

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

LOVE LOVE LOVE this stuff! I use it every morning with half a scoop of the Booster C powder, and my skin feels noticeably plumper and firmer, so it does really well under moisturizer. Helps keep my freckles at bay, and acne too. Only problem is how pricey it is, and it doesn't last very long

rated 4 of 5 on 4/30/2010 8:02:00 PM More reviews by laurenau

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am 30 with combo & acne prone skin. Many products irriate my skin and I use both differin and duac in the evenings for acne. I have been using this product for about a month by applying it once in the morning. I initially bought it for the antioxidants/sun damage protection to apply under moisturizer during the day. I have to say I fell in love with this product for some many other reasons. If I'm just going to the office and won't be in the sun then it is sufficient as my only form of moisturizer which is great since it makes my skin look less oily throughout the day compared to when I wear regular lotion based moisturizer. It also seems to be improving the appearance of the discoloration on my face. All in all it just makes my skin look great when I put it on. I highly recommend.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2010 5:52:00 PM More reviews by LorelaiNoah

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

Pros:
-Decent packaging.

Cons:
-Smells rancid.
-Doesn't do ANYTHING to improve my skin.
-Stung my eyes.

Would not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2010 More reviews by cosec00

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was originally given to me as a gift and i've been using it ever since.

Its expensive, but when people randomly comment that your skin looks younger, its worth it. Once I started using it with the Vit C booster powder I notice not only had the texture of my skin improved but my skintone started evening out. This started to occur within days--I've never experienced that type of results before.

I am 43 and my skin looks better than it did 5 years ago. I apply it with the Vit C powder am and pm. Given the improvement, I will continue to use this forever.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2010 9:55:00 AM More reviews by Bones1

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is for the Firming and Lifting Serum. I use it at night only, under my moisturizer. I'm 35-years-old with decent skin, but increasing redness of late and VERY puffy eyes. This is the only serum I have ever used that I actually believe does what it says it does. My skin is positively radiant in the morning. My eyes are less puffy, my cheeks are glowing, and this is in the middle of winter when I am usually a red, puffy faced mess. I never get enough sleep during the school year (I'm a teacher) and usually by this time of year I have to use makeup to walk out of the house at all. Not this year. The only thing I'm doing differently is this. I LOVE it. I was lucky to get it in swap, but will repurchase if I have to.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2010 6:41:00 PM More reviews by pneggy

all in al a lovely moisturising serum, smells lovely, leaves skin hydrated. i find this very moisturising and therefore when i use it don't tend to bother with cream too. it really is quite lovely!

also, i'm talking about the replenising serum. the firming serum is horrible and leaves my skin feeling i just put egg white all over it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2009 3:33:00 PM More reviews by scopingforyou

PROS: The firming properties seemed to be real. You don't need much at all. I think it did help with fine lines a bit.

CONS: Smell is typical Phil; bad. Don't expect this to moisturize at all. Left me tight, so I had to moisturize almost right away.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2009 12:09:00 PM More reviews by inneroracle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I like to take a break from my Jan Marini every few months and then go back to it. I bought a Clarisonic recently and have been using the Purity Cleanser with it as it removes makeup really well. My skin is sensitive, combo, and my latest challenge is red acne scars and skin tone/texture. I wash with the Purity Cleanser in the PM and the Micro exfoliating wash in the AM, then I follow up with this serum. This serum is a gel consistency, and it goes on wet but sinks in quickly. I feel that it firms my skin and provides some moisture -- but not quite enough moisture in the evenings. Since my advanced makeup optional kit came with spf20 hope in a jar, I have just been using the Help Me Retinol at night after this and the sample of the eye cream. I need just a slight touch more moisture. All in all, a good product. I have been using this for about 2 weeks now, and my skin feels pretty good, my jaw line is firmer. I am not noticing any change yet in skin tone/texture though.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/28/2009 2:31:00 PM More reviews by vivcheung

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is a great product for the 30 something individual who is just starting to see small signs of aging such as uneven skin tone, darkness, dullness and slight loss of elasticity. I've been using this serum morning & evening for 2 weeks and I have already seen and felt dramatic improvements in skin texture, tone and brightness. My face just feels so much firmer, smoother and 'younger'. I had some blotchiness around my nose and cheeks and they have all but disappeared after starting this. It comes in a glass vial with a glass dropper. You only need a tiny amount to spread over the face and neck area...about the size of a dime. It's a very light serum, so it doesn't feel greasy or suffocating. I can't say how well it will work on lines and wrinkles, guess those who are wondering will have to try it out and see.