July 29, 2014 | 1913 users online

Liquid - Shiseido - Sun Protection Liquid Foundation SPF 42 PA+++ [DISCONTINUED & REFORMULATED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2013 12:02:00 PM More reviews by Loci80015

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

After reading reviews, I really wanted to try this foundation. I am sure it has many great properties, but it just didn't work for me. For starters, it dries very quickly. Tried to apply it with a sponge, then a flat brush and the 3 rd time I tried with my fingers. None seemed to really blend very easily, but I didn't really try too much harder because the color selection is awful. I am a NC25-30 and I purchased the SP40. The color was too light and the step up is too dark and pink. This bummed me out after reading all the reviews how blendable and natural it looked. This also photographs horribly due to the high SPF content. I will be returning this.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2013 5:46:00 AM More reviews by madhat

Great foundation.Easy to apply,natural result,never emphasizes pores/fine lines,never looking cakey.One con is that if you have blemishes/freckles/darl spots you may need concealer as extra.I would definitely buy it again

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2013 2:57:00 PM More reviews by Meech25

I purchased this product a year ago (summer time) i was looking for a light foundation for the summer with spf. I have to say that this entire year i have tried various different foundations along with using this one...maybelline, colorstay, tarte, chanel....and i find myself ALWAYS going back to this one. You really can't beat the way it feels on your skin. It's so light, and spreads like silk, i never have any problem blending this foundation or looking cakey. This stuff glides on and does not move. When i first purchased it i thought the bottle was so small!! but a year later i still have plenty. You really don't need much to cover your face. I would say this is a medium coverage, for reference i wear shade sp60 and im an NC-35-40 in MAC.
    LOVE this stuff, i will definitely repurchase when i run out!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2013 5:01:00 PM More reviews by wq13

Love this foundation for the spring/summer.
    It's runny, but super blendable, and you only need a small amount to cover your whole face.
    I like to use a damp beauty blender with this foundation; it applies beautifully. I don't have oily skin, so I don't use primer or powder with this. My skin is dry, and powder usually makes me look even more dry and sometimes even cakey.
    I love the fact that this foundation has a high SPF, but since you probably won't use enough of it to really get the benefits of the SPF, I recommend a moisturizer with sun protection.
    As for coverage, this foundation evens out the redness in my cheeks really well and blurs my imperfections. I still use a little bit of concealer under my eyes and on a few scars though.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2013 3:57:00 AM More reviews by tatcuya114

This is one of those strange cases where the application method makes a huge difference. I have so far found that the best to apply it is with a sponge, and from what I've seen and heard, others tend to agree. It gives you the most natural and long-lasting finish.

The foundation is excellent because of the sun-screen it contains. For people with oily combination skin like me, this is a bless because you don't need to put on an extra layer of sun-screen in the summer before you put on foundation. The foundation also stays well on your face--more so if you apply with a sponge. The packaging is also excellent--air-tight plastic container. Chic and portable. Great for travelling.

My only complain is the range of color selection. I've tried SP40 and 50. 40 is a bit orangy and 50 is a bit too pale and yellow. If Shiseido makes an effort to perfect the color selection without changing the formula, chances are that a lot of people will be thrilled.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2013 3:42:00 PM More reviews by bfresh0

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have hormonal acne (not a little bump here and there but lots of bumps and occasional cysts and redness around my jawline and some on my cheeks) and I have creasy eyelids with dark circles. So I am always on the hunt for a foundation that will cover the acne/ dark circles/ imperfections without caking. The problem with most full coverage foundations is that they are thick or even if they aren't thick they settle into my fine lines. So some full coverage foundations work well for covering the acne but because they are so full coverage they end up settling into lines and pores. I have to apply my makeup to my whole face because I use full coverage and it looks funny with no foundation in some areas and full coverage in others. I have marionette lines (smile lines around my mouth) and fine lines under my eyes. I am only 24 so these are not major lines BUT most full coverage foundations make them look like like major lines. I am a esthetician/makeup artist ( since I was 18) and have worked many places where I have access to numerous brands of foundations so I have tried A LOT of them. I have tried them with and without primer, with and without setting powders, with and without setting sprays, etc. and NOTHING compares to how AMAZING the SHISEDIO SUN PROTECTION LIQUID is. I have tried Chanel perfection lumier ( not enough coverage or staying power- but great finish), Lancome tent idol ultra -(Great finish not enough coverage), dermablend (great coverage but looks fake and cakey and smudges off if you touch your face), estee lauder double wear (great coverage but looks fake- too matte and cakey- settles into lines), revlon color stay (overall horrible foundation- too thick, didn't cover blemishes, cakey), bare minerals ( horribly powdery looking and settles in to lines badly if you try to build to full coverage), napoleon perdis china doll (OK coverage- too drying- colors made me look dull- settles into lines- looks heavy), benefit hello flawless liquid and powder (great finish- no staying power, settles into lines very quickly- not enough coverage), smashbox hd foundation (not enough coverage, settles into lines), taste amazonian clay foundation (never feels like it sets, no color that matched me, accentuates blemishes, settles badly into lines because of it mousy consistency).... the list goes on and on and on (some of them were not even good enough to mention)...

I LOVE the Shisedio foundation!!!! I love the semi- matte (yet "lit from within") finish that I can add a highlighter to when I am done and look perfect and glowy. This foundation has GREAT coverage but it is such a thin liquid that it never looks cakey. It does not settle into lines or pores at all but instead makes them appear less! This foundation looks like my skin (if I had perfect skin) not like makeup. Being an Esthetician I am all about sunscreen and this one has SPF 42!!!! It is a hidden gem. When you go looking for foundation this one would not stand out. It is at the Shiseido counter (which many people don't even know what Shisedo is) and it is hidden with their sun care line (the blue bottles)not the makeup line.

How I apply- I always have my skin prepped by cleansing, exfoliating, and moisturizing. I then apply Too Faced primed and poreless primer all over my face. Next, I apply a small drop of Shiseido sun protection liquid to the back of hand and use my fingers to apply and thin even layer all over my face. in the meantime I do my eye makeup and when I am done with that I go back and apply one more little drop to the back of my hand and use my real techniques expert face brush to stipple/ blend into the areas where I need a little more coverage. I don't use a concealer with this foundation because it has plenty of coverage and the perfect finish on its own. I usually always set my foundation with a powder but this one doesn't even need it. The coverage is amazing and doesn't need added coverage with a powder, it stays put without a powder, and the finish of it on its own it so nice I wouldn't want to change that by adding powder. I use the color SP20- for reference I am between NC15 and NC20 in MAC- pretty fair with yellow undertones. When I am done with foundation I use Tarte bronzer in "park ave. princess" or Benfit "hoola" bronzer, a Benefit or Lorac blush, and Benfit's "Watt's Up" highlighter and some lipgloss for a complete look.

SImple put the pros and cons are :

PROS:
    -GREAT coverage
    -Doesn't settle in to lines or pore
    -Makes skin look perfect
    -Not too matte- and not too dewy
    -Stays on ALL day (its waterproof!)
    -Great SPF! (SPF 42!!!)
    -Looks like a perfect SKIN -not like you have on makeup

CONS:
    -Color range is limited (but I found my perfect color :) )
    -Strong smell at first (a good smell and I don't mind it one bit- but some might)

This foundation would work well for all skin types. Young and mature, acne or no acne, dry or oily. TRY IT OUT!!! ITS AMAZING!!!

24 out of 25 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2013 4:14:00 PM More reviews by jesssicupcake

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This foundation is pretty close to perfect for me. It has a similar consistency to the Chanel Vita Lumiere Aqua foundation, but provides all the coverage that I wish that Vita Lumiere had. This foundation is definitely a full-coverage foundation with a semi-matte finish. Although my skin is incredibly oily, I tend to stray away from fully matte finish foundations simply because I prefer my complexion to look natural and radiant. Because the foundation has such great coverage, you only need to use the smallest amount of it (which also means it lasts twice as long).

I like to apply this foundation with my fingers, then blend with a Beauty Blender for a flawless, natural finish. I also really like the fact that is has SPF 42. It's also incredibly long-lasting. For reference, I use the shade SP60 in the late Fall/Winter and SP70 in the warmer months (Mac NC30 in winter, and NC35-40 in summer).

The only reason why I didn't rate this foundation 5 stars is because I find that it can transfer pretty easily, even after being set with a powder. Other than that, it's perfect for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/6/2013 6:18:00 PM More reviews by st3f4n42srb

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I wanted to like this product SO badly, & I thought it would be amazing due to all of the reviews. However, I was not impressed. My drugstore foundation is a lot better...

Let me start off by saying that I have oily skin, a few pimples & some redness/scarring. First off, the consistency was a problem for me. It's so thin & runny, but somehow no matter how I apply this foundation it ends up looking cakey!! If you have perfect skin with no pimples, it may not look cakey. But if you have any lumps on your skin, it's cake central. No matter how little I apply, it's just cakey.

I've tried using fingers, a brush & a damp sponge. The sponge was the worst because I think it just soaked up the foundation, as when I tried to apply it it was like I had put nothing on my face. Another point of importance is the coverage. This is a full-coverage foundation, a fact which I dislike. It just looks so unnatural... I prefer sheer-medium coverage.

As for the oil control, I was expecting great things. However, this did not live up to the hype at all. By the end of the day I looked like I'd dipped my face in oil. It was literally my entire face. That doesn't usually happen.

So to conclude... I give this foundation 2 stars because it's pretty much unwearable & therefore definitely not worth the money. I am extremely disappointed in this oily & hard-to-work-with foundation.

Other random notes:
    - It dries extremely fast, so you have to work fast.
    - It's very difficult to remove, you need an oil-based makeup remover.
    - I'm pretty sure it broke me out (must be the ridiculously high spf content).
    - I also think it has whitening properties (even though the bottle doesn't say it) because I've noticed a HUGE difference in my redness from day 1 of using this.
    - It has a strong sunscreen scent.
    - You have to exfoliate your face really well because this foundation will cling to any dry patches & be even cakier than usual.
    - I recommend this foundation for someone who is completely blemish-free & has normal to slightly oily skin.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2013 11:34:00 AM More reviews by ioannaki

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This foundation is really good. It covers well without being thick, it blends easily and provides a natural look. Its texture is soft and thin and it contains spf 30 something which is a big plus! It offers a semi-matte result, the ideal for me. Though my skin is combo, I don't really like foundations that provide a totally matte result because they make skin look unnutural, dry and cakey.I can use this product without powder on top.
    You have to shake it well before using. The packaging is also very convenient and easy to carry. This is one of my favourite foundations, after Chanel's Vitalumiere Aqua.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/29/2013 7:50:00 PM More reviews by Julia3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

i want to start out by saying this is THE BEST foundation i have tried. I bought this because i was looking for a foundation that would not get all over my fingers when i touched my face and lucky for me the first one i tried happened to be exactly (well almost exactly) what i was looking for. Unfortunately the shade range is terrible and i am the palest of the palest of the pale so i kind of rely on there being a good shade range to get a match, but for some reason i decided to buy this foundation in probably about 4 shades too dark (aka their lightest shade), I mix it with a white foundation to get the right colour. the texture and coverage of this foundation is perfect and it goes on super easily with a brush or with my fingers, it dries pretty quickly so work fast, but once its dry it stays put - seriously i have to scrub my hands like crazy to get it off after i put it on. it doesnt need setting with a powder, but its not the end of the world if you do, ive done it and i prefer not to just because i like as few layers as possible and i find the powders transfers onto my fingers. i have dry-ish skin but it doesnt settle into my dry bits and look gross. its just the perfect foundation, if it was in a better shade.