April 21, 2014 | 1283 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - #231 Small Shader Brush

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2008 6:16:00 PM More reviews by smurfkitten

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this little brushÖ I have little eyelids so itís a good fit! Itís absolutely perfect for cream eye shadow. I use it with Shiseidoís Hydro-Powder shadows when I want a true-to-pan, vibrant colour versus the sheer colour you get when applying with a fingertip. I also like the #231 for applying a very thin line of eye shadow as an eyeliner. I use this brush several times a week, so itís a must-have for me and Iíll repurchase over and over as needed! Buy this brush if you use cream eye shadows often, or if you like experimenting with your eye makeup.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2008 10:06:00 PM More reviews by juaini

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

This brush is totally UNDERhyped. I had my mom buy it when she was in NY a month ago because it's been out of stock for months in Malaysia. Now I wish I'd gotten two :) It's a small flat paddle-shaped brush with synthetic (not taklon) bristles. The length of the bristles is stiff, but the tip is cut to a thin taper, so it's more flexible at the tip. This makes it the Perfect Eyeliner Brush. I've used it with gels and powders (wet and dry), for regular lining and tightlining, and IMO the precision, comfort, and ease of use is unbeatable. Forget the 266, this brush is everything you need. You can also make the thinnest thin line with this. Eyelining has never been this easy, or this fast. Makes even crumbly L'Oreal HIP cream liners go on fast and smooth. Better than the 266 and BB's ultra fine liner brush. Affordable at $17.

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2008 9:42:00 PM More reviews by isseymiyake

My must-have brush. I bought it primarily for applying eyeliner gel.... and WOW! It's small and stiff that guarantees precise applications, yet soft enough that won't hurt the lids. From the day I got the brush lining eyes has became fast and easy. I got the smooth and thin and tight lines that I'd always dreamed of with my shaky hands. ;p The brush also works wonderfully with eye shadow cream and powders. Overall, this is a great brush for detail work. Highly recommended.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2007 10:02:00 AM More reviews by Viviana25

Great little brush.
I use it as a liner brush, and is better than the 266.
Highly recomended!, great work MAC!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2007 7:02:00 PM More reviews by LizC21

This and the #219 are the perfect brushes for me. This brush is a short, thin, small shading brush made of synthetic fibers. This is a duo fiber brush with white tips. Great with powder and cream products. This brush is fabulous to shade small areas, lining upper and lower lashline and lining the waterline. Love using this to line the water line because of it's flat tips. Rounded squaere brush with a flat tips, so it's perfect for patting on color to the waterline with the flat side and the tip is so small that it's perfect for lining. :D Cute little multi-tasking/multi-purpose brush!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2007 6:33:00 PM More reviews by dreammona

Love this brush! I dip it in any of the dark eyeshadows, such as the black one from the new Gentle Fume palette to line between my eye lashes and the bottom of my eye. Its hair is soft enough that it doesn't poke your eyes and make it watery, as much as the other brushes do.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2007 7:35:00 PM More reviews by BCbabe

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Awesome little multitasker! This flat, thin, compact little paddle shaped beauty works for packing pigment or shadow onto small areas as well as for lining and tightlining both the upper and lower lashlines. Because it's rounded, not flat or squared, it feels softer on the lashline than a push brush or angled brush. I would definitely consider a backup of one of these little gems.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2007 11:54:00 PM More reviews by GacktCamui

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Just got this brush recently and I can see that this is definitely going to be very useful. I used it for lining with my f/l and it works wonderfully - very even and thin line. At the same time, it would works great with packing on pigments and shading e/s in the corners of my eyes. Great soft brush and not expensive.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/12/2007 2:01:00 PM More reviews by kristen87

I bought this brush a couple of months ago and literally said, "oh crap" as soon as I got it home. I tried the in store tester - which must've been pummeled to death - and found it to be a soft flexible brush. So when I realised how dense and 'stiff' mine was I was quite disappointed. I liked to use the 228 for lining with shadow on my lower lid and thought I'd be able to use it for that too. The bristles are too tight and 'narrow' so it really didn't do anything I wanted to.

Cue 4 months later. My friend came over and was borrowing my brushes and as I was hogging the 228 and my angled brushes she resigned herself to use it to line and shade. Lo and behold a new love was found. While it may not be able to apply shadows to the lower lid to well... (or in my opinion) it was amazing as as push liner. I am an angled brush type of gal so it never really occurred to me to use it in this way. Lately my brushes have all flared slightly so this was able to give me the tiiiight thin line I always wanted. Yay! Plus I was able to use it to do detail shading on my lids. I still prefer the 228 for this work.. but I would use it in a pinch. I highly recc this brush.. and kind of want to buy another....

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2006 10:48:00 PM More reviews by misseng

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this brush for applying e/s but then I actually now use it for concealer! It's a good size for me, and the perfect firmness. When I first bought it (for eyeshadow) I found myself reaching for other brushes first, and it was quite neglected. Then I read it was good for concealer, and now I'm using it daily!