MAC Eyebrows Crayon (Stud)

4.7

on 9/14/2008 10:06:00 PM

I have wacky brows: the hairs grow all over the place (some point sideways, others point down, each brow grows in as a different shape, and though the hairs are dark, overall my brows are kinda sparse. I had been filling them in with the MAC 266 brush and Aveda Earthen e/s, but this simply had no staying power whatsoever. I ran across MAC Eyebrow Crayon in Stud at my CCO and figured that for the price, I had nothing to lose. This a non-sharpening pencil and you twist the top of the pencil for the product to come out. The color is a GREAT match: dark brown with absolutely no orange/red tones, and provides depth to the brows without being unnaturally black. I have dark brown/black hair (Korean), but filling in my brows with black makes me look weird and off. This grey/brown is perfect! The pencil is pretty soft but very pigmented, so use a light hand be absolutely sure to *fill* in your brows with light, feathery strokes. Otherwise, if you press too hard or try to draw in brows, it will look unnatural. The color lasts all day and doesn't smudge despite heat/sweat/humidity. The packaging: slim pencil with sturdy plastic cap - great for travel!

Update: I'm downgrading this to a 3 - it's slightly above average. The color match is great but I've come to realize that a powder always yields more natural results than a pencil.

on 9/10/2008 12:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Loooove it! Color works very well, thin applicator= no freakshow 80's eyebrows. I've got a pretty pale complexion which means I have no eyebrows. And I pluck them. This pencil saves my life!

on 9/3/2008 2:07:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

This eyebrow pencil is by far my HG pencil. There is absolutely no red, orangey tones in it, i use to use spiked all the time until one day i decided to use a darker color which was stud and my face looked so much more complete especially with my dark brown hair and golden highlights. I do use the brow shader by mac in soft charcoal/ maple first before i add the stud b/c the brow shader is an eyeshadow that is the perfect dark brown, w an angled brush by mac, then i use the stud to define the eyebrow more so the eyebrow doesn't look drawn on like most do w/ just the pecil. I prefer this method of application if you want a very natural defined look, i use the maple as a highlighter underneath the brow. I would recommend this to everyone. Loves it!

on 8/23/2008 4:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I got this by accident, intending to buy Spiked, and what a mistake! Not only was it too dark (& I like a darker brow) it crumbles, and left little bits of product sprinkled in by brows, I'd have to remove. Spiked is HG brow pencil...er crayon.. Stud, not so much. The consistency is way different.

I changed my overall rating from a 2 to 4.That 1st one musta been a bad one! I again, bought the color by mistake, and it was just as great as Stud. I love em both!! Sometimes I like a darker brow & this suits the bill. This product, color aside, is a top biller! I've alwasy loved pencils that sharpen, I need a good point, but this one really does the job without!! However, I've been using Anastasia's Brow Wiz (very similar) for the last year which is better than thou. More expensive w/less product, but worth it. Accordingly, as it has a spooley @ the other end, I've changed Stud's packaging rating from 5 to 4. continued >>

on 8/2/2008 4:47:00 PM

It's almost impossible to find a good eyebrow pencil in the UK that doesn't have a red undertone, but Stud saves the day everytime. I have dyed black hair and pale skin (NW20), and I like my brows to match without being pitch black. My previous HG pencil was great when I had bright red hair, but looked very odd after I went dark, but this is a perfect shade for darker brows without looking too harsh or fake.

It also seems to last much longer than other products. I bought a Body Shop pencil in a pinch when my local MAC was out of stock and I was down to a third in less than a month, however one of these crayons lasts me at least 3 months with daily application.

Highly recommended!

on 4/20/2008 2:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is my HG brow pencil. I searched high and low for a pencil with out any red/orange. I finally found it - Stud is perfect for me. I have very dark brown hair and my eyebrows are almost black. This works amazingly with my coloring. Very natural. A blackened brown with some taupe. I use it lightly for definition and then use MAC brow powder in Soft Charcoal/Maple for filling in some color. It is the perfect combo. This pencil seems to last a long time - but its a bit spendy at $18.00 (CDN - with tax). I will continue to buy it.

I have tried 'Spiked' as well and it just didn't work as well as Stud. It wasn't red or anything but I needed something darker to blend in with my brows better. If you feel Stud is too dark for you definitely go with 'Spiked'. I could get away with either in a pinch.

on 10/30/2007 9:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

My HG brow liner! I'm asian, and black just does NOT work on my fine brows... but Stud... which is a dark brown is PERFECT. I buy three at a time in fear that MAC might discontinue this.

on 10/18/2007 6:32:00 AM

Forget Anastasia brow products and other powder brow fillers. As long as you trim your eyebrows and pluck them, Mac Eyebrow Crayon in Stud is THE best eyebrow filling/shaping tool.

Haven't found a better color match either. I have light black hair (although it appears a VERY dark brown) with golden highlights and this definitely works for my light black Asian eyebrows. Only thing is though, to make the brown tones seem more natural and blended in with my black brows, I brush a little bronzer (Mac Golden) over it to dull the color.

The clicker mechanism is also precise and pushes out the perfect amount of crayon. Extremely smooth application because of its tiny tip and how easily you can manipulate the amount of color by finger pressure.

Doesn't smudge, the color lasts the whole day, and the product lasts forever.

Not the best tool if you don't know how to shape your brows already, but Stud is a good tool if you know how you want to shape your brows and where to fill them in.

Can't say how happy I am with this product. I've been using this forever and will continue to do so.

on 8/19/2007 2:39:00 AM

i do not know how i ever lived without this HG product! it's the perfect eyebrow pencil. once i had to switch from my old HG (rimmel) i tried a few that were so-so, but nothing as good as this. it's creamy and smooth, and because it's a thinner tip i get amazing precision. mac has a pretty decent color selection, and it's a great bonus that with six empty plastic mac containers you get a free lipstick! (i'm already on my 3rd pencil, but each one lasts me at least 2 months-rimmel only lasted about 2 weeks each!!)

on 6/27/2007 9:30:00 PM

I love a strong, dramatic brow - but this was too dark for me (even though I have deep olive skin). Maybe it is because my brows are on the thicker side. Once I had this on, I looked like Frida Kahlo. I exchanged it for "Spike", which is working out much better for me.

Popular Brows Products