October 25, 2014 | 1552 users online

Shampoo - John Frieda - Brilliant Brunette Shine Release Moisturizing Shampoo

rated 2 of 5 on 12/21/2009 5:32:00 AM More reviews by sue_anne

This product is not for me, unfortunately, since the scent is really nice and lingers in my hair. I have coloured treated hair and this stuff strips it right out. I use the moisturizing formula and it leaves my hair incredibly dry, not moisturizing at all. The dryness is so bad that my hair squeaks when I try to run my fingers through the knots. Even my cousin who has virgin hair had trouble with it stripping the natural oils in her hair making it feel like straw. Not a good sign since her hair was normal to begin with. The second and third ingredients are pretty harsh foaming agents from what I've read, which is probably what contributes to the dryness. So no I will not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/14/2009 11:01:00 AM More reviews by malarielynne

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I found out that I am getting a set of my FAVORITE shampoo/conditioner for Christmas, and ran out of my other stuff just 2 weeks ago, so I had to buy something in the mean time that was still decent, but not too expensive.

I remember hearing that someone liked this, so I went ahead and picked it up, slightly blind to how MUA felt about it.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised. IF I style my hair (which I try not to do every day to give my hair a rest), it looks fabulous. Shiny, healthy and feels sooo smooth and soft. However, if I let this air-dry, it is FRIZZ. CENTRAL. It's bad.

My hair also has a nasty tendency to fade to this auburn shade (which isn't so bad, just annoying when I spend money on getting it colored!) and I recently dyed it to a really dark brown, and noticed it had already started to fade back, so this has put it in it's place (so to speak) and kept it a little darker than before, which I like for the fall/winter.

Overall, a nice product for it's price. I won't buy it again because I'm not terribly impressed, but it works well for the meantime that I am using it.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/1/2009 10:15:00 PM More reviews by showSTOPPER

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Just a quick review for this one, but I really really did not like this shampoo and its conditioner, I found it made my hair very greasy and I felt like I wasn't doing anything good for my hair, so I threw it out after about 5 tries.
Not worth it in my opinion!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2009 9:57:00 PM More reviews by reemty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this shampoo, it works really well on my hair, and really does bring out a shine. i used to have deep red highlights, so i used the radient red, i lovedddd how pretty the my hair turned out, i decided to not have any more highlights, now i'm back to my brunette hair and i'm loving it all over again, thanks to this shampoo.
PLUS, it smells soooo good, this was the reason i ever tried it in the first place, it sounds like a shallow reason, but hey i'm glad i bought it cause i've been using it for the last 4 years..

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/31/2009 9:56:00 AM More reviews by MakeUpJunkiee

Initially i liked this shampoo, my hair didnt feel like straw after i shampooed it, but does leave a film on hair. Did not make my hair shinier or enhance any highlights or anything... Smells good, nice to get away from the fruity smelling shampoos every once and a while. I would not but this again.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2009 4:41:00 AM More reviews by Tuts311

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

After Spending A good amount of money on this product i was expecting lovely shiny hair, but how wrong was i !!! I left my hair SOOO greasy ( I mean before i even dried it, it was so greasy and horrible) so i had to wash my hair again to get all the grease out! horrible would never use it again.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/15/2009 11:13:00 PM More reviews by BlackJay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this shampoo, especially in combination with the brilliant brunette Shine Release Conditioner! There's several reasons for this: my hair has never been as soft and shiny as when I use this shampoo + the conditioner (and then let it air dry). It makes my natural curls look amazing (!) in a way no other shampoo ever does. Also, a lot of shampoos tend to irritate my skin - this one doesn't. However, concerning shine, it takes several weeks to really see any difference and for me the lighter shampoo (maple) doesn't do anything in that regard, it has to be chestnut-espresso to see any increased shine, even though my hair is medium brown at best.
So you might have to try both shades to see what works for you.
Oh, and another plus: it smells sooooo good. ;)

Edit: I've been using this shampoo (and the conditioner) for a few months now, and my hair has slowly been getting greasier and greasier. I've changed my shampoo and conditioner, and voila! Greasy roots gone. -3 lipsticks, 'cause who wants greasy hair, right? *sighs* So long, Brilliant Brunette...

rated 3 of 5 on 7/14/2009 9:00:00 PM More reviews by PinkCadillac86

I loved the way it brightened up my hair colour but unfortunately I had to stop using it cause it made my hair so greasy.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2009 3:11:00 PM More reviews by cepauloar

I was really disappointed with this product. I really wanted to love it. I bought the shampoo and conditioner because they were in sale. I used them for a week and I started to notice that my hair was dry and dull and this doesn't happen that easily. I had expected a lot from this products but I guess the brand has just good marketing. I love the smell and the packaging though. I didn't notice any spectacular shine, only a couple of hairs that were lighter, but that's all. I will use them until they run out but I will probably not buy them again. What a shame!
*** EDIT *** I have to rate it even worse because it really dries my hair. Only because I do love the smell I will use both shampoo and conditioner to wash my make-up brushes but they will never again touch my hair! :(

rated 2 of 5 on 6/26/2009 2:33:00 AM More reviews by arabprincesa

I gave this a two because of what it did for my hair color. It definitely brightened it up and brought out golden tones. I also gave it a two because that's really all it accomplished. It seems like whenever I use a shampoo that's not Pantene Pro-V, my hair starts shedding like crazy...which is what happened with this. My hair also got a lot oilier a lot faster when I started using this. I usually wash my hair every other day or so, but with this I had to do it every night. Not fun, not good for your hair either. To be fair, a lot of moisturizing shampoos have that affect on me...I guess my hair has enough natural oils that using a moisturizing one throws it off...but yes, definitely will not be repurchasing.