John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Shine Release Moisturizing Shampoo

3.7

WATER, SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE, SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE, GLYCOL DISTEARATE, DIMETHICONE, COCAMIDOPROPYL BETAINE, CETYL ALCOHOL, BETAINE, COCAMIDE MEA, FRAGRANCE, GLYCERYL OLEATE, GUAR HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, BENZYL ALCOHOL, CARAMEL, DISODIUM EDTA, MALIC ACID, LAURETH-4, LAURETH-23, SODIUM CHLORIDE, GLYCINE, SODIUM XYLENESULFONATE, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, THEOBROMA CACAO (COCOA) SEED BUTTER, PRUNUS AMYGDALUS DULCIS (SWEET ALMOND) OIL, PEARL POWDER, METHYLCHLOROISOTHIAZOLINONE, METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE, LECITHIN, ALCOHOL, RETINYL PALMITATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, MAGNESIUM ASCORBYL PHOSPHATE

on 12/25/2009 9:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This smells so good and it lingers in my hair for a long time. It does give great shine, though I wouldn't use it everyday. It does clean decently, but I worry about build-up from this over time. I also know that this doesn't deposit any color, but this does enhance the brown color already in my hair and makes it appear more monotone in color. My hair is also not as frizzy which is a plus. I would buy again.

on 12/25/2009 12:22:00 AM

I use this and the same brand shampoo for Chestnut to Espresso hair and I love it. I went from bleached blonde hair to dark brown last year (with auburn inbetween to fill in the base color) and I have no problem with my color fading, despite taking hot showers (I know, bad for hair and skin but it feels so great during the winter!). I can't stand hair products that leave deposits in my hair, and this product does not do that at all like cheaper shampoos and conditioners can tend to do. My hair tangles really easily with the wrong conditioner, but no matter what I can run a brush easily through my hair after I get out of the shower after using this conditioner. It smells yummy too!

on 12/21/2009 5:32:00 AM

This product is not for me, unfortunately, since the scent is really nice and lingers in my hair. I have coloured treated hair and this stuff strips it right out. I use the moisturizing formula and it leaves my hair incredibly dry, not moisturizing at all. The dryness is so bad that my hair squeaks when I try to run my fingers through the knots. Even my cousin who has virgin hair had trouble with it stripping the natural oils in her hair making it feel like straw. Not a good sign since her hair was normal to begin with. The second and third ingredients are pretty harsh foaming agents from what I've read, which is probably what contributes to the dryness. So no I will not repurchase.

on 12/14/2009 11:01:00 AM

I found out that I am getting a set of my FAVORITE shampoo/conditioner for Christmas, and ran out of my other stuff just 2 weeks ago, so I had to buy something in the mean time that was still decent, but not too expensive.

I remember hearing that someone liked this, so I went ahead and picked it up, slightly blind to how MUA felt about it.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised. IF I style my hair (which I try not to do every day to give my hair a rest), it looks fabulous. Shiny, healthy and feels sooo smooth and soft. However, if I let this air-dry, it is FRIZZ. CENTRAL. It's bad.

My hair also has a nasty tendency to fade to this auburn shade (which isn't so bad, just annoying when I spend money on getting it colored!) and I recently dyed it to a really dark brown, and noticed it had already started to fade back, so this has put it in it's place (so to speak) and kept it a little darker than before, which I like for the fall/winter.

Overall, a nice product for it's price. I won't buy it again because I'm not terribly impressed, but it works well for the meantime that I am using it.

on 9/1/2009 10:15:00 PM

Just a quick review for this one, but I really really did not like this shampoo and its conditioner, I found it made my hair very greasy and I felt like I wasn't doing anything good for my hair, so I threw it out after about 5 tries.
Not worth it in my opinion!

on 9/1/2009 9:57:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I love this shampoo, it works really well on my hair, and really does bring out a shine. i used to have deep red highlights, so i used the radient red, i lovedddd how pretty the my hair turned out, i decided to not have any more highlights, now i'm back to my brunette hair and i'm loving it all over again, thanks to this shampoo.
PLUS, it smells soooo good, this was the reason i ever tried it in the first place, it sounds like a shallow reason, but hey i'm glad i bought it cause i've been using it for the last 4 years..

Initially i liked this shampoo, my hair didnt feel like straw after i shampooed it, but does leave a film on hair. Did not make my hair shinier or enhance any highlights or anything... Smells good, nice to get away from the fruity smelling shampoos every once and a while. I would not but this again.

on 8/22/2009 4:41:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

After Spending A good amount of money on this product i was expecting lovely shiny hair, but how wrong was i !!! I left my hair SOOO greasy ( I mean before i even dried it, it was so greasy and horrible) so i had to wash my hair again to get all the grease out! horrible would never use it again.

on 7/15/2009 11:13:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I love this shampoo, especially in combination with the brilliant brunette Shine Release Conditioner! There's several reasons for this: my hair has never been as soft and shiny as when I use this shampoo + the conditioner (and then let it air dry). It makes my natural curls look amazing (!) in a way no other shampoo ever does. Also, a lot of shampoos tend to irritate my skin - this one doesn't. However, concerning shine, it takes several weeks to really see any difference and for me the lighter shampoo (maple) doesn't do anything in that regard, it has to be chestnut-espresso to see any increased shine, even though my hair is medium brown at best.
So you might have to try both shades to see what works for you.
Oh, and another plus: it smells sooooo good. ;)

Edit: I've been using this shampoo (and the conditioner) for a few months now, and my hair has slowly been getting greasier and greasier. I've changed my shampoo and conditioner, and voila! Greasy roots gone. -3 lipsticks, 'cause who wants greasy hair, right? *sighs* So long, Brilliant Brunette...

I loved the way it brightened up my hair colour but unfortunately I had to stop using it cause it made my hair so greasy.