Aveda Brilliant Humectant Pomade

4.1

Aqueous Extracts of Aloe, Kelp, Flaxseed, Oleth-10 (Plant Oils), PEG 25 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Glycerin (Coconut Oil), Isopropyl Palmitate (Palm Oil), Diisopropyl Dimerate (Mineral Oil Substitute), Sorbitol (Corn), Hydroxypropyl Bisstearyldimonium Chloride (Detangler), Methyl Gluceth-20 (Corn), Aveda's Own Pure, Natural Preservative Fragrance Containing Geranium & Other Essential Oils, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Methylparaben (Food Grade), Propylparaben (Food Grade), Diazolidinyl Urea (Allantoin)

This has been one of my staples for years. I have fine, wavy hair, and this pomade does a fantastic job of bringing out the curl in my hair. Do not apply it near the roots, but take a small amount, emulsify a wee bit between your palms and work it in. I usually apply this while I'm blow drying (with a diffuser), but also tames frizz and enhances curl on the mornings I don't wash my hair.

on 10/16/2004 3:02:00 PM

gone through a couple bottles of this stuff. works great for my highlighted medium thickness long hair. It really brings out my curls and smells great

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

This is one of those products that my hairstylist used when she cut my hair & it looked & smelled great. So I bought some. Everytime I use it it looks like I haven't washed my hair for a week. Even if it doesn't at first, it does in a few hours. It smells delicious, a wonderful chemical smell like Sebastian's Shaper hair spray, but it's hard-to-impossible for it not to weigh down my hair. The blue bottle is cool though; I'm sure I'll keep that if I don't end up swapping it.

on 5/31/2004 5:55:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I have had this in my hair arsenal since high school, over ten years ago! It is one consistent performer for me, especially in the summer months when it's humid and it is just easier to wear my hair naturally wavy. I always use a few other curl products, then wait til I am almost dry and add a dab of this. Keeps everything in check all day.

on 3/16/2004 2:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Honestly, I don't like the way this smells. A little bit doesn't do all that much. More makes my hair look greasy, and the pomade gets on my face if my hair does.

on 2/19/2004 7:39:00 AM

I love the way this product adds shine and bounce to my naturally curly hair. Just a very small fingertip's-worth is enough to smooth down flyaway strands, enhance curls and give a glossy sheen. Too much, however, on unwashed hair, is, I agree, a recipe for greaseball head! But the smell is gorgeous, like all Aveda products, and the blue glass pot is very stylish. It's not that expensive either, as a little goes a long way: 12.50 and I'm only a third down the pot after a year's use. Will definitely buy again.

on 1/12/2004 10:29:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

this pomade was just disgusting, the packaging was alright-looking, but the pomade was incredibly sticky and got EVERYWHERE BUT my hair, and would just glob up and not spread around my hair, nearly impossible to use, I ended up just giving this to my roommate but she hated it too.

on 12/29/2003 3:28:00 PM

I can't believe that I haven't reviewed this until now! This is my HG hair product. It is a *great* smelling pomade that, for me, acts as both a leave-in conditioner and a styling aid. I have stick-straight hair but this works great for me anyway (the product is designed for curly hair). I use just a touch on either almost all the way dry or dry hair before styling (concentrating on my ends)...then, I either blow dry with round brush or use a large barrel curling iron or flat iron. It protects my hair from the heat, helps it hold the style, gives my hair that "piecy-ness" that I love, and gives incredible shine and awesome scent. Warning: use just a touch of this or it will make hair look greasy. I have my two best friends and sister-in-law hooked on this as well (and we all have different hair types). A jar of this will last a very long time, which is good because it is so expensive, but so worth it! I hope they never stop making this!

on 11/21/2003 11:24:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This stuff made my hair feel like strands of fiberglass. The smell turns my stomach. Good thing it comes in very small packages, so it wasn't much of an investment (still overpriced, for what is basically a sample). For some reason, I kept this stuff for 2 years before throwing it out, though.

on 9/16/2003 11:57:00 PM

Why did I wait so long to try this! Well, actually it was the price. To me, $18.00US is a lot to pay for some hair junk, no matter how cool the jar is :). Plus, I was more than happy with the TRESemme Hydrology pomade I normally use. But all the good press I've heard on this finally won out. I'm really glad it did. I do believe I have found a new Holy Grail product! This revitalizes my thick, wavy/curly hair like nothing else! After combing my hair, I rub a scant fingertip full of the product between my palms and smooth it on. My hair magically separates into gorgeous frizz-free ringlets and stays that way all day! The texture of this pomade is fantastic. Not too sticky, not too thick or waxy. And, it actually washes off your hands with minimal effort! I still think the TRESemme is a good product, but this pomade is just plain easier to deal with. UPDATE 04/03/04: I still
think this is one of the best pomades on the market for thick, curly hair. Unfortunately, the hubby's allergies just couldn't handle the smell. He begged me to stop using it. Luckily, I found Ouidad's Clear Control pomade. Similar texture, far less fragrant! continued >>

Top Rated Aveda Products