November 28, 2014 | 1920 users online

Lipstick - Revlon - Super Lustrous - Rum Raisin

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2007 4:55:00 AM More reviews by amysplat

I really wanted to like this lipstick but its just too dark for me, i have very pale skin and dark blonde hair. But the texture and feel is good.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/20/2007 11:55:00 AM More reviews by Xuxa13

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I picked this up during a BOGOF at Walgreens and boy am I glad I did! I have grown tired of my eternal quest for the perfect neutral/brown lipstick (the closest I have come is L'Oreal Colour Riche "Sandstone"-- if you're NW20, dirty blonde, brown eyes, you should really check it out). Anyway, back to Rum Raisin.. I decided to stop buying light beige shimmery shades that usually don't work on me (I *almost* bought Champagne on Ice) and try something deeper-hued. I was initially attracted to the name because I was hungry at the time. Mmm, rum and raisins... sounds like bread pudding, I thought. It looked kind of so-so through the tube, but when I tried it on... wow. My whole face brightened. It's exactly the kind of color I've been looking for- a complimentary neutral that can be worn with just about anything. The color is a brick reddish brown with a very slight pink undertone, just like rum and raisins! And it lasts f - o - r - e - v - e - r. It fades to a nice stain and doesn't really wear off completely. Only minor complaint is that it might be a tad too drying without lip balm.

I'm really loving these Revlon Super Lustrous lipsticks. I think this just might be HG status.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/23/2007 11:57:00 PM More reviews by alixnaiq

I agree with all the reviewers who said this lipstick was very pretty on brunettes. I love the warm strawberry-tinged brownish red (can't really describe the shade) of this lipstick, which warms up my fair/medium Asian skin tone and is very close to the colour of my moderately-pigmented lips when they flush. :) This lipstick is incredibly pigmented and lasts for hours, as well as fading to a lovely warm raspberry stain. I like to pat on the lipstick and blend with a lip brush or my fingers. For the price (S$16.90), this lipstick is fantastic quality - it doesn't feather or bleed on me even when I'm not using lipliner or lip primer. Like many of the reviewers, I like the see-through lid. I'm not sure I would buy this again because I want to try other brands of lipstick, but it's good to have in my stash.

Update 2009: This shade ended up being too intense for me and I haven't used it much. After getting tired of it sitting around, but not wanting to throw it away, I've discovered that applying a *very* thin layer of it with my fingers gives a more wearable stain. I also tone it down by applying a little with a brush over my Revlon SL Fleshtone lipstick. So I suppose I'll get more mileage out of this than I have so far, but will definitely not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/13/2006 3:21:00 PM More reviews by toxicapathy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

In general, I have been very impressed with Revlon's reformulated Super Lustrous Lipstick, particularly the creams. I too, remember the often unpleasant smell and taste of the old formula (the reason I stopped purchasing Revlon years ago), and these are conspicuously-- and rapturously-- absent!

I decided to try SL again when I saw a co-worker re-applying her favorite shade, and noticed the new tube design. We bemoaned the previous shortcomings of the product, and she said the formula had been greatly improved and to try it for myself, so I went out and bought a tube, Mauvy Night if I remember correctly. I know it was cream shade, and it was love!

Frankly, I was hesitant to purchase this color at first: I am an NW20 with chestnut hair and grey-green eyes, lightly freckled and rosy cheeked, so 'rummy' neutrals usually don't work on me. They are frequently more orange toned, but this one seemed to have more of a rosey quality to it, and since it was a BOGO I figured I'd go for it. I'm so glad I did!

Rum Raisin is another cream finish, and I guess it compares closely to Rose Velvet (which I own and love) only darker. I wear it with my aqua eye looks for a nice contrast, and a neutral blush (usually Revlon Blushed powder blush). It's also beautiful with Super Lustrous lipgloss in Spiced Blush or Blushing Moment over it.

Though I do prefer the creams by far, all of the finishes offer superior quality to any d/s brand I've tried. They are long lasting, moisturizing but never slimy, and provide excellent pigmentation. It's very easy to build up color to the desired level of opacity, and they layer beautifully with glosses or other lipsticks. As far as packaging, I appreciate Revlon's decision to add a see-through top to the tube, allowing one to evaluate the actual shade (hopefully, they will improve on the rack swatches soon!)

rated 2 of 5 on 8/21/2006 9:25:00 AM More reviews by jsnack

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I can't wear this at all. I don't see any red whatsoever. All I get is a brownish carmel toffee color. Not good. I guess I'll give it to my sister, she likes these types of colors. My search continues...

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2006 6:34:00 PM More reviews by shalalala

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really love this color! It's a color I wouldn't normally pic by looking at it in the tube, but my friend had some, so I tried it out. I went right away and bought 3 of them (BOGO offer at Longs this week). It's a really pretty redish color with a hint of brown/orange. Normally I'm more of a purple or pinky-brown girl. I really love it, but after wearing it all this week, I've found that it's not that moisturizing. That isn't a major flaw though as that is what chapstick is for. :) I will continue to buy this color.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2006 12:23:00 PM More reviews by Alexine

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Love it, love it, love it. Revlon's Rum Raisin is very similar to Bobbi Brown's Rum Raisin, but just a teeny bit warmer. This is a great color and I think it can work for anyone.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2006 11:20:00 AM More reviews by Lippyloo

Revlon Super Lustrous is my favorite drugstore brand, and Walgreens had a BOGO offer the other day, so I tried out a couple new colors and Rum Raisin was one. It is a very creamy, pigment-dense reddish-brown-plum, a true neutral slightly darker than YLBB. A very modern, versatile color (it was introduced in the mid-'90s along with "Raisin Rage," and both have survived since initially being LEs). And, of course, the great Super Lustrous formula made this very soothing on my chapped winter lips. Only reason I didn't give this five lippies is that the shade, while pretty, isn't terribly unique. It's very similar to Burt's Bees "Fig," CG "Bistro Burgundy," L'Oreal "Divine Wine," etc. etc. but if you like those colors and you like the Revlon formula, give this one a try! It's neutral enough to work on all skin tones, but I think it looks especially pretty on brown-eyed brunettes.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2005 10:56:00 AM More reviews by bronwynk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Pretty subdued red for me. I'm very fair and find I need to put lip balm under this color so it won't be to dark. With the balm, it is a perfect rosey color.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2005 1:15:00 AM More reviews by melaniemil

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My HG lipstick. I used it awhile ago. It had a different number then. Once it ran out, I couldn't find it and I was so disappointed. Saw the color again recently and hoped it was the one I remembered. Very happy - perfect red-brown lipstick on a medium-toned brunette.