September 2, 2014 | 1070 users online

Loose Powders - Laura Mercier - Secret Brightening Powder

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2012 2:36:00 AM More reviews by gagag

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Can't live without this. Its light-reflecting properties and finely-milled consistency make this one of the most versatile products in my arsenal. I use this to set undereye concealer - works better than Powderflage, which can cake at times - as well as an understated highlighter on my cheekbones. This contains no shimmer, no glitter, no shine; it just reflects light. It reminds me of granules of sand at the beach, except it's obviously not as coarse and it's white. The white color is virtually undetectable upon application, but it literally performs as the title suggests: it brightens. After I apply just a dab of concealer to the very darkest areas beneath my eye, I use the pointed end of a dry BeautyBlender to lightly press the Brightening Powder into the concealer to set and brighten. Then I use the larger end of the BeautyBlender to very lightly dust away whatever excess product remains for a totally flawless application. This is the only product and method I've found that lasts throughout the day while completely eradicating the look of undereye puffiness. Doesn't dry my skin and seems to blur my fine lines. And you know that awful magnetic force that pulls eyeliner to concealer? Not here. The Secret Brightening Powder forms some kind of impenetrable barrier over concealer. It's the only undereye product I can count on to stay put, even sitting alongside black eyeliner. There's nothing else like this stuff.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/15/2012 3:09:00 PM More reviews by lwaine

At first I didnt understand the hype when using this product but I have found when using it to set concealer under my eyes it works perfectly! I usually suffer from make up setting in the fine lines underneath my eyes but this stops it from happening completely. I sweep a small amount under my eyes only and then brush a pressed powder over the top and it lasts all day. Has a lovely light texture and although it initially looks scarily white it does blend in to be practically invisible!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2012 9:38:00 PM More reviews by alexandrascar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really love this powder to set my concealer. I hate that they don't sell #2 at Sephora now and I have to go really out of my way to buy it at Nordstrom now. I've tried #1 and I currently have it and it also sets my concealer beautifully. However, it can kinda give a weird reverse raccoon look in pictures if you are heavy-handed with it. Even though it is expensive, a little goes a long way and it will last you forever. I've had mine for six months and I not even half way through.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2012 8:34:00 AM More reviews by lc15

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Although, this is a bit pricey, I will definitely buy it again! I use it under my eyes and down the center of my nose and it gives such a subtle healthy glow. Stays on my face all day and doesn’t settle into fine lines or look chalky. I had used another Brightening powder from Target but this one is so much better and worth every penny!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2012 12:35:00 PM More reviews by lapatatedouce

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

Didn't think I'd like this product, but it does make a difference around the eye area and cheekbones...or good as an all over face powder, especially for a date night...waiting till I get paid to buy again!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/15/2012 8:56:00 AM More reviews by Evgeniya89

This powder makes my under eye area very dry, thus underlines puffiness, small wrinkles etc

rated 2 of 5 on 3/12/2012 10:21:00 AM More reviews by natsmilton

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this product thinking that it would hide dark circles in my under-eye area but was left bemused as to what it actually is supposed to do...there were no instructions that came with the product on the packaging or on a leaflet inside the box. I assumed that this was a finishing powder to brighten areas of the face in need of this, so swept some on my under-eye area and it did not seem to do anything and had the same effect that talcum powder would have - makes the skin feel soft but definitely doesn't cover any dark circles! I think perhaps there may be a special process to follow where this powder would create a lovely effect but even with foundation underneath, which should act as a primer, the powder didn't appear to do anything at all... I feel this purchase was a waste of money and certainly isn't worth £24 :-(

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2012 9:04:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was very eager to try a sample of this product. The name alone is something to encourage the feeling that it really will do something "magical". At Sephora, I got a sample of this in the more yellow-toned shade, hoping it would work well to make my under-eye circles disappear. Sadly, I was really disappointed - the first time a Laura Mercier product has let me down. There's nothing either "secret" or "brightening" about this powder. I tried it as a concealer and it achieved nothing. I tried it over a more traditional concealer and it didn't do a thing to enhance the effectiveness of the concealer. I do use it now to "set" my under eye concealer and it works okay for that but then so does just about any other face powder. I think I will try this in the white shade (I'll get a sample again) but I would not repurchase this product. I've found Bare Escentuals Well Rested powder "concealer" to be far more effective when I use it to set my concealer - it actually adds a degree of "concealing" to that area.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2012 4:53:00 AM More reviews by BrittKiel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I do like this product, but it's not what your thinking. I use this under my eyes after concealer and then I swipe it over my cheek bones to keep things even. I think, it definitely helps to keep my concealer in tack, and I have noticed less smearing and such. It does brighten under my eyes a little. But I don't look in the mirror and think, " Wow I look so refreshed and bright" however, I do notice a difference when I don't use it. I would buy it again, it's very light, and it does not at all appear cake like. I would recommend it, but it's not as amazing as some of the reviews I read before I purchased it myself made it out to me. But, everyones skin tone is different.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2012 9:27:00 PM More reviews by Amanda2012

I'm kind of on the fence about this powder. I *think* it makes my undereye area look brighter, but I'm definitely not as positive about the effect as some of the other reviewers. And, it's one more step in my now lengthy (thanks, MUA!) makeup routine. On the plus side, the texture is incredibly light, and it doesn't settle into fine lines.