November 27, 2014 | 862 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2014 5:48:00 AM More reviews by giggles292

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm torn between loving and hating this face wash. I received this face wash as a present and would never have bought it since it is so expensive and it is not a cruelty free brand. However, I do not like to waste anything so I ended up using this face wash and I have a lot of good things to say about it: it smells nice, it takes all the makeup off my face, when I use it with my clarisonic my skin cleared up and I didn't have any breakouts while using this product, it is gentle on the eyes, and I love the creamy non foamy texture. BUT there are some things I don't like about this product: it is NOT A CRUELTY FREE BRAND, there are sulfates and chemicals, there is yellow dye and the packaging sucks...it would be so much better to have a pump especially for the price you're paying. All in all I'd feel so guilty purchasing a cruelty product BUT it did clear up my skin and kept my skin clear so if someone else bought it for me id definitely accept the offer.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2014 1:38:00 PM More reviews by taylor123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've heard a lot of good things about this cleanser and after reading a magazine article on it I decided to give it a go. After a few week or more of using it I've formed my opinion.

What I Like:
-smells very nice! smells like lemons.
-foams up so nicely, a little goes a long way.
-it doesn't make my face feel tight or dry, makes my face feels very soft and moisturized.
-really did seem to get my face very clean. left no residue.

What I Don't Like:
-after about a week of use I started getting very painful cystic breakouts. Three in the cheek area, two on my eyebrows, one of my chin and even one on my nose. They're taking a lot of time to clear up :( I know this is what did it because it's the only thing I've changed in my routine and my diet habits are very healthy.
-after seeing the ingredients I'm embarrassed that I ever bough this stuff. It's full of parabens and sulfates and even contains A YELLOW COLOR DYE IN IT. REALLY?! Why does there need to be a color dye in a face wash? Frankly, it's a soap full of junk. No wonder I broke out.
-the price is also a little high. Ranges from 23 to 52 dollars depending on the size. Not spending that much money on something that's full of gross chemicals.

All in all, I'm very disappointed. It seemed like a nice cleanser at first but over time it really upset my skin and I'm still trying to get rid of some of these blemishes. I learned my lesson. READ THE INGREDIENTS before you spend your money please. There are lots of other cheaper options out there that don't have such strange ingredients. Don't end up like me.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/23/2014 12:46:00 AM More reviews by calles2

This is another product I bought based on so many great reviews. I hated it! It made my skin oily and dull. I also do not like the scent.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/22/2014 5:58:00 AM More reviews by Alison1986

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have sensitive skin and this brought me out in a red rash across my cheeks therefore I wouldn't buy this again. However my skin was very soft and moisturised after using and I would recommend this if you had dry skin which was not sensitive. I didn't like the smell though, smells a bit like insect repellent!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2014 5:38:00 AM More reviews by mushroom8118

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

It was my 29th birthday gift from my best friend in Nottingham. I've been using this cleanser every night for half a year now (first use on 10 Dec 2013) and this cleanser is AWESOME!!! Can be used to cleanse the eye area of makeup. Does not irritate my skin whatsoever. It removes all my makeup and is very gentle on the skin. It doesn't "strip" my face and cause major drying effect. My skin feels soft and refreshed after using it. So far I have not had any breakout from this product. During the day, I would use my Nivea Aqua Sensation facial wash or Liquid Neutrogena to wash my face.

Sephora in Malaysia just started carrying Philosophy brand in store and does not sell the 24oz bottle like the one my friend gave me. They only have the 16oz sized bottle and it's very pricey though. Too bad cos I love the convenient pump 24oz have. Will continue to use this until something better (and cheaper) come along.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2014 1:51:00 PM More reviews by adelyn305

I'm in love with this cleanser, all my life I thought using drugstore-brand cleansers would be more than enough for my face i'm usually quite money savvy when it comes to purchasing cleansers until i stumbled upon this. Initially i purchased Hope in a Jar moisturizer, however since my cleanser was about to finish i decided to give this one a try.

First usage already left me jawdropped. It amazes me how clean and soft my face felt using this with my clarisonic.This thing leaves a crazy soft feeling on my skin, my makeup is thoroughly removed (I wear only under eyes concealers, eyebrows,and blush) and most of all it doesn't dry my skin up! I would apply Hope In A Jar (for all skin types) after cleansing at night and i would wake up to the softest, smoothest skin I've ever felt, everyday. These 2 products work amaaaazing together. Both are my holy grail products. I'm now head over heels over Philosophy!!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2014 10:28:00 AM More reviews by cubbiejules

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've always been skeptical of the Philosophy brand because I just thought it was all hype and all about the packaging and fancy quotes on the bottles. I was wrong!

I bought the Radiant & Refined kit from Ulta and I'm in love. This cleanser really does melt off makeup and impurities. I wear a long-wear foundation that is waterproof so normally I have to wash my face two times to truly get it clean. But with Purity that's usually not the case! Sure sometimes I use it twice just for good measure but most of the time I'm left with clean skin without any makeup left over. It also takes off my mascara and eyeliner very well. I still need to use a makeup remover but it's not terrible. The smell to me is more...alcohol-ish and less like rosemary like some people have said. It doesn't leave me dry or tight, just very smooth and clean. It lathers very well. I have very combo skin; I'll flaky where I'm also oily. It's the worst! But after using this along with the serum and hope in a jar my skin is looking absolutely amazing! It's never felt this smooth or been so regulated. I have less breakouts and I rarely use my acne spot treatments anymore when a breakout does pop up. I feel like this regimine just takes care of them! Overall this is a great cleanser for oily to normal/combo skin. Those with very dry or mature skin I would not recommend that you use this. I feel like it could be too drying.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2014 10:16:00 AM More reviews by ichigocutie

I have combo skin,oily t-zone but the rest is normal. My skin also very clogged prone. I really wanted to like this cleanser but couldn't. Yes,it did take off my makeup but it gave me pimples and bumps. I didn't even finish the whole bottle,I gave it to my mom who has a mature,dry skin but she didn't like it either. I think at the end she threw it out after only tried it twice. For someone who like the smell of tea tree oil somehow I dislike the scent of purity cleanser,smelled like rosemary or some kind of herb. Everybody's skin react differently and mine just didn't like purity cleanser.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/17/2014 1:21:00 AM More reviews by yelim01

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I hate to bash this cleanser but I absolutely HATED it. I wish I could have given it -1 stars. I really wanted to like it since so many people are fans and because it can be used to remove makeup but it was horrible for my sensitive skin. It made me breakout in a pimply rash, and I'm someone who never breaks out. At first I thought the breakouts were from something else so i stopped using it for a while and the pimples went away. As soon as I used this face wash again the pimples came back immediately and worse then before. My skin even stings right after I use it. My recommendation to others is to save your money and buy something else.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2014 7:04:00 PM More reviews by maelyn28

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This stuff is amazing. It really breaks down oils and makeups like no other. And it is so extremely gentle. I can open my eyes with this stuff all over my eyes and no reaction what so ever. After I clean my make up brushes I clean them again with this stuff and am amazed at how much I missed. This stuff is really expensive and the best way to buy it is from qvc. You get these huge bottles that are totally worth it. Sometimes they have deals too, so I always buy two. Never ever ever want to run out of this stuff. Leaves face so clean and never makes me break out. If you try it you might at first not see what the hype is all about, but the moment you run out you will know why you need it