MAC Matte - Soft Brown

4.6

on 12/28/2011 9:00:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

This color is so pretty. It comes out to a beige/light punk color on my lids. I love wearing in this crease with pretty much any color on the lid. It's such a basic neutral color but it's perfect for blending! Def would repurhase if I run out of it! :)

on 11/16/2011 11:41:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Great, very useful, neutral shadow. Sort of the color of silly putty - a pinky-browny-taupey color.

Me - NC15, dark red hair, green eyes, freckles, 44 years old.

I use this as a crease color for a no-makeup makeup - it helps to push back the hooded area without looking harsh. Works well with lots of other shadows, too - browns, greys, plums, olivey greens. Great as an edge blender, also works as a cheek contour and brow color for warm golden blondes, redheads and light warm brunettes, too. Versatile, albeit uninteresting as an overall lid color.

While Soft Brown is very useful and a no-thought color, I actually prefer Texture as a more statement making but still soft crease tone. Texture gives a Rodarte Spring 2012 caramel-sepia-light rust sort of look. While Rule is definitely orange on my skin, Texture is a hint of browned down orange that really gives my face a lovely lift.

So - if you have Soft Brown but find it a bit lackluster, try Texture.

on 11/16/2011 11:11:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

I use soft brown in my crease pretty much daily. On my NC43 skin, it adds a subtle hint of alertness and glow that makes me look awake and refreshed. I've been using this for years and am about to buy my second pan.

on 10/13/2011 12:33:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I've been desperate to move away from shimmer eyeshadow but still make my brown eyes pop. This stuff is freaking amazing. For daytime I put Quite Natural on my lids, blend some MAC Soft Brown eyeshadow into my crease, slap on some mascara. Looks so soft and beautiful! For nighttime I do the same thing except I add thick black eyeliner on top and blend it up to make a really classy smokey eye. So easy!

on 10/9/2011 1:15:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

It's an okay crease color. Has an orangy cast in pictures. But other than that, it is a good quality eyeshadow overall, just not the color i expected. Anyone have any recs for a true light brown crease color, w/ no type of undertones?
=)

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

At first when I bought this, I regretted it. I bought it as an outer lid color, but it was pretty much the same color as my lid, and it was just a little darker, which was really annoying.

However, I also use embark as a crease color, and I noticed that embark was really pigmented, and sometimes I would put too much. It could also be tricky to blend. So that's where this eye shadow came in. I mix this and embark together for a perfect soft crease color, and I in general use it as a blending color for dark brown shadow. And it worked great for that purpose.

So I'm not regretting the bucks I spent for this, because this actually a very versatile color. If you're fair skinned, get this for your crease. If you're dark skinned, use it on your lid. And if you're neutral like me, use it as a blending color! I just may repurchase...

on 9/9/2011 9:06:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I can't believe I haven't reviewed Soft Brown yet! It took me forever to purchase it, but it was an instant HG. I use it daily, either as a crease color or transition color, and it is perfect for both. It's such an unassuming color, and one I was sure wouldn't work for me. If you're thinking about trying it, definitely give it a shot! It works wonders for me :)

on 9/5/2011 2:52:00 PM

I am amazed at how much I like this!! As I say in every review, I am really cool toned and any time I want to do browns they turn ruddy or orange-y on me a lot of the time so I am always scared of that. And as many commenters have said, this DOES have an orange undertone in it (or peach, I suppose).

I went in to have an MUA help me out with a look for my brother's wedding and she used this with jest on the lid and blackberry in the outer v. Even though it looked really nice I was still feeling like I should try a cooler brown. I went home and tried to recreate the look using wedge and it just didn't look as nice. I did everything I could to avoid buying the soft brown because I thought sure I'd never use it again. It's become a staple. It pairs wonderfully with jest and you can put something a little cooler in the outer v to bring it together. So, it's great for me, because I always have trouble with my cool skin tone and warm toned eyes. It is very buildable and I love the texture and find it really easy to blend too, It is great for a really natural look. If you have coloring like me, try this one and see if you really like it rather than dismissing on first sight. You may be surprised!

on 6/17/2011 5:07:00 AM

Well I've jumped on the Soft Brown wagon. After reading all the good reviews here I purchased this color about a month ago. I love love love it! It's a great crease color to transition lid color to brow highlight. I use it with LM Turquiose tightline, lorac turquiose "tempt me" and Vapour on the brow. Ditto satellite dreams with a chocolate BB eyeliner, Deep truth with BB indigo eyeliner, Soft Brown is HG crease color. I wear it everyday now to work; it softens shimmer/metallic lid/brow color with its matte finish and is a beautiful versatile peachy brown that goes with everything. May look bland in the pan but this shade is magical. Blends well with good pigmentation. A staple MAC color. Perfect!

on 6/15/2011 3:14:00 PM

This is my go-to crease color when I don't want to think about what to wear. It gives me the perfect neutral eye look that warms up my crease area. Blends beautifully, color payoff is excellent.

Top Rated MAC Products