December 19, 2014 | 1564 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Bottle

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2008 12:46:00 PM More reviews by sdg13

I tried this product for a week before reviewing it here. I agree with many of the reviewers that the smell is not good but I find it dissipates quickly. I have aging skin that is still quite oily in the summer and does still break out. I like the idea that this product moisturizes and also keeps your oiliness at bay. So far I am pleased - once it dries it feels like nothing on the skin. I am however interested now in the new Bobbi Brown product with SPF 15 and would like to try that next based on the reviews here.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/9/2008 4:28:00 AM More reviews by kshi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i really wanted to like this as well, i've been using this for about 6 months but i haven't really noticed any out of the ordinary decongesting and it hasn't faded my old acne scars like i'd hoped...recently i just went back to grad school and have been breaking out like crazy from the stress and this hasn't helped that either...hasn't made it worse, just hasn't done anything really...

rated 2 of 5 on 6/30/2008 11:34:00 PM More reviews by jennifer0828

this product was ok. the scent was overpowering! i have combo/oily skin that occassionally breaks out. it didn't really help the the acne. i finished up the bottle that i had and will not be purchasing it again.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/29/2008 3:08:00 PM More reviews by lindz990

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have trouble with excess oil, blackheads, clogged pores, and uneven tone and texture. This product definitely did not live up to its claims to "decongest" my skin. I feel like it even clogs up my pores more. Either way, it doesn't feel "clean" like good oil-free moisturizers do. Its smell is really annoying, and it also has formaldehyde-releasing paraben preservatives (yuck!).... many Philosophy moisturizers do. Alas, my search for my HG moisturizer continues....

rated 4 of 5 on 6/16/2008 11:36:00 AM More reviews by stinky76

I have used this product for years, it helps control my acne and i use it as spot treatment sometimes. nice light moisturizer.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/30/2008 3:48:00 PM More reviews by MusicalAmanda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Not pleased with the product. It didn't seem to do much at all--MAYBE mattify my skin for a little longer than usual but not enough to ever purchase again. Did not help my "congested" pores or make my skin smoother. I guess I bought into the cute packaging. For those that may benifit from it (perhaps those with minor or very slight oil/acne issues)--there is nothing special in it that is different from over the counter acne moisturizers. The active ingrediant is only Salycilic Acid... you can buy far cheaper products at CVS. The only product that has made a significant impact in smoothing my skin/helping with acne etc. is Topical Retinods. For most people with Oily/acne prone skin and blocked pores I think this is really the only option... but it's a shame it is only available by perscription and that it is so expensive!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2008 12:54:00 AM More reviews by MomColors

Ugh this brand is so gimmicky. I hate their presentations on QVC. You'd think Philosophy and Bare Minerals were the first to invent quality cosmetics.

This is nothing special just a heavily marketed product in a giant jar. It's ok, not bad, not good, just so-so.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/10/2008 2:57:00 AM More reviews by yello0984

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this moisturizer. I have combo skin that tends to get oily and sometimes I will break out with a few pimples. Since this contains 2% SA, I rarely break out anymore while using this. My skin is not perfect, but no big noticeable pimples is fine with me! It does not make my skin any oilier than it normally is. Hope in a Bottle is kind of expensive for such a small size, but it lasts almost a year for me. Will definitely purchase again.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2008 4:29:00 PM More reviews by rupertlilly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Iíve tried numerous Philosophy brand products and have not been happy with any of them. They are such a huge waste of money, and this product is no different. My only saving grace is that I bought it from Sephora.com and was able to return it. I used this product for about 3 weeks and saw absolutely NO improvement of my skin at all. If anything it made my skin worse. It smells like Windex. This is definitely not Hope in a Bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2008 2:51:00 PM More reviews by aiyahbee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

What I like about this is that it's not too water of a moisturizer, nor is it too tacky. My skin agrees well with this, more so than my previous beloved Clean & Clear with the purple pump top, and it's done a great job in reducing breakouts. If I go more than 3 days without using it, I'll notice some bumps emerging from my skin. I've repurchased this 3xs now, and even though I wish it were cheaper, you can get a deal by purchasing two at a time for a good price.