Desert Essence Lip Rescue w/ Shea Butter

4.3

Not tested on animals

Ingredients: Glycine soja (soybean) oil, beeswax, euphorbia cerifera (candelilla) wax, ozokerite, copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, butyrospermum parkii (shea butter), ginkgo biloba leaf extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf oil, tocopherol, propyl gallate, mentha piperita (peppermint) oil.

on 6/30/2007 7:58:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I have been a devotee of Burt's Bees lip balm for well over a decade (now I feel old, thanks MUA), but about 6 months ago it just wasn't cutting anymore. I've always had dry skin, and especially dry lips, which the BB generally kept under control. but as I said it got to the point of just not cutting it anymore, so I went on the hunt for something new. I came out with this. it irked me a little to spend almost $3 on lip balm, but I was desperate, and I had good luck with other products from the line. I was also a little put-off by the thin, silky texture of this; I falsely equated "waxy" with "moisturizing". this though, it VERY moisturizing. it turned my lips from, well, sand papery mess, to silk in a matter of a few days. I now apply this religiously AM & PM and have had silky smooth lips throughout the months, and I haven't had to repurchase yet.

on 6/26/2007 3:31:00 AM

I kept this lip balm by my bed and applied it nightly. Just ran out yesterday, so after one full tube I thought I'd give it a review. It has a great smooth/wet texture and tastes/smells good. The only drawback is that it seems far less waxy than other brands and therefore wore off rather quickly. I found myself needing to reapply it frequently. I'm sure it would be quite moisturizing if I could just get it to stick around longer. Probably won't repurchase for this reason.

on 5/19/2007 11:03:00 PM

This is a super-moisturizing lip balm with no harmful ingredients. I love the thin, silky texture and sweet, creamsicle flavor. My lips have been great since using this balm before bed, even with daily use of a salicylic acid wash, which really dries my lips. This balm is very shiny and pretty on its own, but because it can be melty, it needs to be blotted before applying additional lip products.

on 2/12/2007 9:31:00 PM

Makes my lips really soft, and tastes like an orange creamsicle or something just as delicious. A little bit greasy though.

on 1/25/2007 5:16:00 AM

I got this on a whim as i couldnt find my Neals Yard Lip Balm. It was 2.60euros in a health food shop. It comes in a nice twist 'n' go tube - which is clean and easy to use. It smells kind of sweet - like honey. Its is of a greasy consistency (which has been mentioned by others) - it is also quite shiny when on your lips - but pretty.

On initial application it is very soothing. It does not require you to keep reapplying it - as some other lip balms do.

Some people have said that it contains ingredients that cause your lips to dry out etc....i think the proof is in the usage of the product and i feel this is quite a good lip balm & i may repurchase.

on 11/15/2006 9:31:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This lip balm is a very soft formulation. The shape of the stick is constantly shifting. I took off the 1 lippie because of this. It is white in color, goes on clear. I think the texture is just between creamy and greasy. That is, it isn't really either. Closer to greasy than creamy, though. A little goes a long way. Since the formula isn't really as solid as it could be, one swipe across your lips gets a lot of the balm on. It is as moisturizing as any balm, but not more so. The taste is slightly bad. Not fruity, just kind of like what you would expect something with no flavor added to taste like. I like that it has actual African shea butter listed as an ingredient. Ingredients are soybean oil, beeswax, candelilla wax, ozokerite, carnauba, shea butter, ginkgo, rosemary, vitamin e, propyl gallate, essential oil of mint. You can't taste any mint in this balm, though.

I just heard that petroleum does not "digest" in the body, and can just sit there forever. This doesn't have it, so that's good!

on 11/10/2006 12:21:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

Wow! Love this! It's slick and fruity and moisturizing. Not waxy at all. Awesome stuff!

on 9/17/2006 10:34:00 AM

This is the best lip moisturizer I have ever used, it melts over your lips as you apply. It has a very light texture and does not feel waxy. When I first applied it it softened the dead skin so I could easily rub off. I no longer have dead skin and my lips stay moist even when I forget to apply.

DE LIP RESCUE DOES NOT CONTAIN MINERAL OIL OR PETROLEUM!!!!!!!

Mineral oil and petroleum are the basic ingredients in many cosmetic products today. Both mineral oil and petroleum have the same origins in fossils fuels. Cosmetics such as foundations, cleansers, and moisturizers often contain mineral oil. By locking moisture against the skin, mineral oil and petroleum sits on the skin’s surface and can potentially block pores. This may cause the appearance of pimples because the skin cannot properly ‘breathe’

Please do your research. Petroleum/Mineral oil goes against everything we are trying to achieve............

on 5/13/2006 10:23:00 PM

I LOVE this stuff! It really moisturizes my lips and I love the feel of it; plus it has a nice scent. My favorite lip balm ever.

on 4/8/2006 11:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This is a very good lip balm- extremely moisturizing, semi-glossy, nourishing, actually penetrates the skin and softens even when lips are really chapped and just drinking up moisture. The balm conditions for quite a period of time even when others end up failing after about an hour, leaving you parched again. The scent/taste is nice and somewhat fruity. I find the price a little high though, and am lucky to have found my HG in Trader Joe's spearimint lip balms.

Popular Lip Treatments