Desert Essence Lip Rescue w/ Shea Butter

4.2

Not tested on animals

Ingredients: Glycine soja (soybean) oil, beeswax, euphorbia cerifera (candelilla) wax, ozokerite, copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, butyrospermum parkii (shea butter), ginkgo biloba leaf extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf oil, tocopherol, propyl gallate, mentha piperita (peppermint) oil.

on 11/15/2006 9:31:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This lip balm is a very soft formulation. The shape of the stick is constantly shifting. I took off the 1 lippie because of this. It is white in color, goes on clear. I think the texture is just between creamy and greasy. That is, it isn't really either. Closer to greasy than creamy, though. A little goes a long way. Since the formula isn't really as solid as it could be, one swipe across your lips gets a lot of the balm on. It is as moisturizing as any balm, but not more so. The taste is slightly bad. Not fruity, just kind of like what you would expect something with no flavor added to taste like. I like that it has actual African shea butter listed as an ingredient. Ingredients are soybean oil, beeswax, candelilla wax, ozokerite, carnauba, shea butter, ginkgo, rosemary, vitamin e, propyl gallate, essential oil of mint. You can't taste any mint in this balm, though.

I just heard that petroleum does not "digest" in the body, and can just sit there forever. This doesn't have it, so that's good!

on 11/10/2006 12:21:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

Wow! Love this! It's slick and fruity and moisturizing. Not waxy at all. Awesome stuff!

on 9/17/2006 10:34:00 AM

This is the best lip moisturizer I have ever used, it melts over your lips as you apply. It has a very light texture and does not feel waxy. When I first applied it it softened the dead skin so I could easily rub off. I no longer have dead skin and my lips stay moist even when I forget to apply.

DE LIP RESCUE DOES NOT CONTAIN MINERAL OIL OR PETROLEUM!!!!!!!

Mineral oil and petroleum are the basic ingredients in many cosmetic products today. Both mineral oil and petroleum have the same origins in fossils fuels. Cosmetics such as foundations, cleansers, and moisturizers often contain mineral oil. By locking moisture against the skin, mineral oil and petroleum sits on the skin’s surface and can potentially block pores. This may cause the appearance of pimples because the skin cannot properly ‘breathe’

Please do your research. Petroleum/Mineral oil goes against everything we are trying to achieve............

on 5/13/2006 10:23:00 PM

I LOVE this stuff! It really moisturizes my lips and I love the feel of it; plus it has a nice scent. My favorite lip balm ever.

on 4/8/2006 11:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This is a very good lip balm- extremely moisturizing, semi-glossy, nourishing, actually penetrates the skin and softens even when lips are really chapped and just drinking up moisture. The balm conditions for quite a period of time even when others end up failing after about an hour, leaving you parched again. The scent/taste is nice and somewhat fruity. I find the price a little high though, and am lucky to have found my HG in Trader Joe's spearimint lip balms.

on 3/23/2006 8:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

i love this lip balm! i have really dry lips year round, especially in the winter, and this is the only thing that'll soothe and moisten my lips! it has a nice, fresh scent and it glides on easily.

on 1/30/2006 6:29:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

At first I liked this, it has a nice texture, and leaves your lips with a bit of shine, but it actually dried out my lips a bit, and I felt that I needed to reapply often. Would not repurchase.

TRIAL PERIOD: 1 day.
TEXTURE: it does sort of melt on your lips after you rub your lips together; when it's on the lips, it feels moist/smooth not waxy/sticky.
EFFECTIVENESS: after 1 hour, lips began to peel a bit and start to get dry again.

According to the site below, one of its ingredients called Propyl Gallate dries the skin upon brief contact and repeated contact can cause dermatitis and sensitivity of the skin.

on 12/8/2005 8:43:00 AM

This is my favorite lip balm - as others mentioned, it is not waxy, and just glides on your lips. It has a very light citrus scent which fades after applying. It does a great job of keeping my lips moisturized and is very affordable.

on 11/17/2005 2:17:00 PM

Wow. Love this stuff (and that means a lot coming from a hardcore lipbalm user like myself). I have chronically dry, chapped lips when the weather gets cooler and this is one of the best lip balms I've tried recently. It is a stick, but not at all waxy--it sorta melts onto my lips like a liquid and absorbs really fast but is protective just like a waxy balm. There's a light, sorta citrusy (?) scent that's barely noticeable when one first pulls off the cap. No taste. Cheap. Awesome! (btw: I've tried the Desert Essence Lip Rescue with Tea Tree Oil and didn't like it too much).

ETA: Okay, I don't like this much anymore. It's too oily-feeling and feels fine once it's on my lips and shortly after it absorbs, but like a lot of thin-feeling, slick balms, it tends to make my lips feel even drier once it's been absorbed/disappeared. Downgraded from a 5 to a 3.

Popular Lip Treatments