The Body Shop Vitamin C Skin Boost

3.5

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Cyclopentasiloxane (Skin-Conditioning Agent/Emollient), Dimethicone (Skin Conditioning Agent), Cyclohexasiloxane (Conditioning Agent), Dimethicone Crosspolymer (Emulsion Stabilizer), Synthetic Fluorphlogopite (Viscosity Increasing Agent), HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer (Anticaking Agent), Fragrance (Fragrance), Ascorbic Acid (Antioxidant), Bertholletia Excelsa Seed Oil (Emollient), Tocopherol (Antioxidant), Glycerin (Humectant), Ethylhexyl Hydroxystearate (Skin-Conditioning Agent/Emollient), Polysilicone-11 (Film Former), Linalool (Fragrance Ingredient), Limonene (Fragrance Ingredient), Silica (Absorbent), Benzyl Benzoate (Solvent), Myrciaria Dubia Fruit Extract (Skin-Conditioning Agent), Water (Solvent/Diluent), Hexyl Cinnamal (Fragrance Ingredient), Citronellol (Fragrance Ingredient), Mica (Opacifier), Titanium Dioxide (Colour).

on 9/29/2010 9:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Makes skin look brighter, for sure. I am convinced this is due to it containing very tiny glitter particles, I don't care what the sales lady says, like all "brightening" skin products contain glitter, those tricksters.. It makes skin look and feel a bit smoother. I have used it mixed with MUFE's face and body foundation, it works pretty well this way. It smells very orangey, a smell I normally love, but even this is a bit strong for me. I'm not really sensative to fragrance, either. It has done nothing positive or negative to change the overall appearance of my skin. Fun to try but overall I'd not buy again.

on 8/31/2010 6:41:00 AM

This product did not brighten my skin , but broke me out with white heads. It is due to its formulation rich with silicone, which gives the smooth finish to my skin when it is applied.

on 8/28/2010 2:47:00 PM

I initially bought this to use as a primer but didnt had the chance yet to use it as primer because of illness. I have used it as a gel over my daily moisturizer tho because I was curious about the product and I must say that its great to use as gel without make up too. I've used it day and night and I'm aware of the cones in it but it didnt clogged anything so I think its quite ok. So I bought the product in the new packaging, just so u know.
Its a clear gel with little particals in it, I think its for light reflecting purposes? Anyway, u dont see it shimmer, in fact I dont see any of it at all which is a good thing for me cause I like it matte. It goes on supersmooth (thats the cones probably) and it really evens out my skintone (love it) and makes it really brighter (which I didnt expected, a plus for me too).
It makes my face very very soft and overall I think its just a great product for me. I brightens my complexion and makes it super soft, so yeah, pretty great!
Only downside for me was the smell, its pretty overwhelming the first time, but now I think I got used to it because I dont smell it anymore.
So for ppl sensitive for strong smelling products, be warned!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

fragrance before vit c ... hmm.. what are they thinking, seriously?

on 8/18/2010 5:23:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

I'm reviewing the old Skin Boost.

I"m actually not sure what Skin Boost does. It's not makeup primer, because it doesn't really help my makeup come on any easier, or doesn't help it stay longer. It's not moisturizer because flaky parts stay flaky after application. It's obviously not cleanser either.

It's a strange, strange gel that turns your skin velvety after application. Wait for it to sink into your skin, and it won't look any different, just... brighter, if that makes sense.

In Asia, "brighter" generally means "whiter," which is what I'm trying to avoid in the first place. My old facial cleanser helped me get rid of acne scars in up to two weeks, but it also made my face noticeably lighter, which pretty much ruined the tan I spent my summer working on.

My skin tends to get a little dull and grayish during long days, and since I started using Skin Boost, I haven't had that problem anymore. I also noticed that two months into using it (and not changing anything in my routine), I've gotten much less hormone pimples than I normally would, an added bonus.

It comes in a great glass pump bottle, and one of those bottles lasted me three months. I'd use it once a day, after toner, under makeup.

Edit: Two lippies off for two reasons:

1. I got a patch of dry skin under my left eye, similar to the one I suddenly got from Maybelline concealer. When I stopped using this, the patch disappeared altogether.

2. It didn't prevent my pimples after all.

I love how it makes my skin feel so smooth and dewy when I put it on. I definitely feel it moisturizes my face! After a week of using it, my friends noticed how much it boosted my skin and made it seem more healthy. However, after months of using it, I'm not entirely sure if it's still giving the same effect of improving my skin more or as effective. My skin didn't get worse though. It didn't clog my pores or made me break out or anything. I think it actually made my skin type better. Before I was pretty dry, but after using this I noticed that my skin became more of a normal skin type.

I also find the smell really good and energizing, which is a definite plus!

What I don't like about this product is the packaging! It's a pump but it doesn't have a cap for it or a box that comes along with the product. This means that I can't bring it along with me whenever I travel for fear of the pump squirting inside my bag.

I'd definitely buy this product again. I'd still buy it because of the texture because it moisturizes my skin and it works great as a primer.

UPDATE: they repackaged and reformulated the product! i haven't tried the new version yet. but the packaging is better! it got a bit more expensive though.

on 7/7/2010 7:53:00 AM

Did not notice any difference on my skin,but worked wonders on my sisters skin.Ive got combination skin with blemishes.My sister has sensitive skin.Did boost her skin =)

Feels silky and amazing on the skin. Agree with the other reviewer who said it was just like Smashbox makeup primer but a lot cheaper!! They are discontinuing this :( so I bought three bottles and paid just 5.00 each!! Because I am prone to breakouts I wouldn't use this every day but enjoy using it a few times a week. Feels great on the skin and works excellent under makeup.

EDIT: They discontinued the old formulation and replaced with a new formulation which is not nearly as good as the original formula! The old formula was clear and you could feel that it was far more potent a vitamin c product. The new one is a yellowish color, not as thick and simply not as good a product. I won't be buying this again. I'm glad I stocked up on the old formula because I just ran out recently but now I'll have to find a better C serum/primer. I dropped a few lippies as the new formula stinks in comparison.

on 6/4/2010 6:06:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

did nothing special for my skin other than enlarging the pores on my nose :(

on 4/11/2010 12:40:00 AM

I bought this during my Star Loyalty member renewal discount (30%). Before getting this, I didn't really see the ingredient list. It does contains mild vit A, which I am supposed to avoid during pregnancy. Now I just keep this in the fridge or maybe pass it to my sis to use. I really love the light texture, nice smell, brightens up my skin, my face stays matt. I may check with my gynae whether can I use this. update: My gynae said cannot use it, so I pass this bottle to my sis.

15-Nov-2010: My sis finished the whole bottle. She bought another 2 with new formula at special price S$24.90. I think I will get it too since TBS has take out Vit A. I tried the sample. not bad.

28-Jan-2011
I just bought 1 bottle during my renewal of Star Loyal membership. Will start using after I am done with my current Vit C night treatment.

Popular Moisturizers