July 31, 2014 | 1039 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Neutrogena - Body Oil with Sesame

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2011 7:49:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

It's been a brutal winter here in the "Great White North" and my skin has been so dry and itchy. The other week, I remembered that I had this body oil, put aside because of the unbearable smell, in a cupboard of extra/disused products. I brought it out last week to try once again and immediately remembered why I'd put it aside. It is a very good product for moisturising body skin and locking in moisture after a bath or shower - I have no quibbles with that. But the smell - it's this sickly sweet smell that I associate with unwashed people who then put on heavily scented talc to mask their body odor. I actually work with a woman who is morbidly obese and even though she is clean, she has an unpleasant body odor. This oil puts me in mind of how she smells. The scent of this oil is really awful - and it simply doesn't go away. Even applying fragrance afterward doesn't mask or overpower the smell of this stuff. So even though the product does a good job, I cannot bear to use it and that's why I've given in 2 lippies (1 is because it does work!)

I bought and discarded a bottle of this years ago and discarded it because of the smell. When I repurchased my current bottle a few years back, I was really hopeful Neutrogena had done something about the off-putting smell but, alas, they hadn't. I think I will look for the unscented version of this because it's a good product or maybe buy a bottle of some sort of essential oil to see if maybe a few drops of THAT will smother the clinging, vile smell of this body oil.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2011 3:56:00 AM More reviews by Donnz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Yes it moisturized nicely when applied to damp skin after a shower but the smell, horrific chemical floral. We do not have the unscented version in nz and it was quite expensive to buy here also. I had to chuck it as the smell was awful and lingered forever on anything it touched.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/14/2011 6:14:00 AM More reviews by tito_barf

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This did not moisturize my skin enough to be worth the greasiness and effort. I get very dry, very itchy winter skin, and regardless of how I applied it (lightly, rubbed in, in shower, after shower), it didn't give me sufficient moisturization. I certainly felt it all day, but not as moisture--as a covering.
Perhaps this is better for people with skin that dries out during the day, not those of us who need *added* moisture.
The biggest problem, however, was that I had a reaction to it! I had knee surgery, and I used it a few times on the month-old, fully healed area. My entire knee was red, itchy, and burning! I don't think this would affect normal skin, but since my skin was already sensitized, I ended up with dermatitis. I believe it was the isopropyl myristate, but can't be sure.
If you don't usually find oil-based products moisturizing, this one definitely is NOT for you. Plain shea butter, petroleum jelly, and aquaphor are all non-moisturizing for me, just like this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2011 10:35:00 PM More reviews by ktwinks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this body oil! It smells divine, and is amazing and moisturizing the skin. Though it's moisturizing, it isnt enough moisture for my very dry skin in the winter. In the Spring/Summer/Fall, this is my go-to moisturizer and I'm on my third 32oz bottle!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2011 11:54:00 PM More reviews by louloubarbie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a quick and great way to lightly moisturize your skin post-shower. The scent is so sexy, I can't get enough. I use it while I'm still in the shower but after I've turned off the water because the packaging sucks. I always spill a little bit of oil. Oh well, at least the bottle is plastic. I'll buy the costco pump version next time.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/10/2011 7:36:00 PM More reviews by debbiedhebz

I love this product, I've been using this for years, my skin never gets dry when I use this! I always apply this first after shower then i top it off with a fruit scented lotion, or sometimes I just use this on it's own. I will never get tired of using this product, makes my skin soft and dewy all the time!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2010 11:28:00 AM More reviews by lilmissprincess

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love love love this product. It works very well in winter. best to apply when your skin is still wet when stepping out from shower. it is easily absorbed , light and leave my skin feeling smooth and moisturized.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2010 11:42:00 AM More reviews by wiseowl

I totally love this product. It's only the fact that I'm broke that keeps me from becoming a crazy lady hoarder type with a stockpile of this stuff. So, why only three lippies? I'll tell what I see are negatives of this product first and then I'll tell why I dig it so much all the same.
First off, ridiculously inconvenient packaging--very easy to waste product or make a mess. Secondly, I've always thought pricing for this product was ridiculous, given what they charge, one would think they could afford to package it in a more sensibly designed bottle. To put it in perspective, Fenjal Creme Bath Oil is unabashedly pricey, but when you try Fenjal, you can understand the pricing: luxurious smell that can take the place of perfume and so moisturizing you can skip lotion afterwards.
Here's the thing, with all these negatives regarding this Body Oil, I still happily use it every night after showering. While I respect lavender baby oil, I prefer this stuff when I can afford it. This has a lighter weight feeling than baby oil and absorbs more quickly. So, a great thing for me in the summer time. In cooler weather, I need to use a bit of lotion afterwards, but I rather like how the body oil makes lotion application very smooth--no drag as I'm rubbing in lotion. As for the fragrance, I really like it on me and so does my husband; it smell nice, but doesn't interfere with my perfume. However, please keep in mind how individual body chemistry affects fragrance with each person. So, if the fragranced version doesn't smell right on you, remember that there's a fragrance free version.
I find this stuff works best if I put it on right after I've dried off, not before, despite what it says on the bottle. It's also works nicely for shaving legs. Unfortunately, I'm in a situation right now where I can only shower, not bathe, but I suspect this would work well as a bath oil.
I think this product well represents the mysteries of taste--it has a fragrance and texture that can inspire loyal devotion despite its price and packaging, but at the same time, a percentage of people will be left puzzled at why others like it so much.
PS: One final thought to add a little more context. Sweet almond oil is far more multi-tasking than Neutrogena Body Oil. So, if you want to play it safe in terms of purchasing a body oil to be used after showering, sweet almond oil is the safer bet because even if the sweet almond oil doesn't work as a body oil, it has so many uses that it won't go wasted. Me being me, I have bottle of the sweet almond oil AND the neutrogena body oil(in theory, being a minimalist sounds great, but it never seems to happen in reality for me).

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/6/2010 10:37:00 PM More reviews by shalinigupta1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this oil for my body after I get out of the shower. It soaks in quickly with no greasiness. The fragrance-free version is great since it won't clash with any scent that I might wear but the fragranced version smells really nice too. I only wish it was a bit more natural, the first ingredient on the list is isopropyl myristate but apparently it is key to the sheer feeling of this oil.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/5/2010 10:39:00 AM More reviews by evange

Despite being oil, this actually made my skin extremely DRY AND ITCHY.