Solano HAI Convertable Flat Iron

4.7

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had to give this four lippies because I haven't tried very many other irons. I use this one pretty regularly, and I have a lot of fine wavy hair. Most users say they have thick, wavy hair, so it was hard for me to pick an iron. But this one has not let me down. I learned how to curl my hair with this iron from watching a video on YouTube.com and this is awesome (a tool that can do more than one thing is great). I haven't had any problems with the swivel cord, and it still heats up the same as it did when I first bought it.

Definitely worth trying. You can get a great deal on it a Folica.com (just in case you were wondering).

EDIT** So I just went to Folica.com and purchased the 2.25" ceramic iron and it works just as good. It is better for my hair and easier since it's getting longer. Plus right now you get a free rubber heat mat to protect your counters. WooHoo!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I hate to be the lone dissenter here, but I'm just not that impressed with this. =( My Solano Sapphire is SOOOOOOO much better (it's a "scissor" style, as opposed to a clamp, and I find I much prefer that).

Too bad I got it off eBay and not Folica, otherwise I'd return it.

Hi everyone! I was hoping you could help me out. Because of all the rave reviews I ordered this iron- I got in on Amazon for $50 from a dealer named "Discount Jungle". I received the iron with no packing slip or receipt, which made me a little skeptical. Anyone who still has their iron's box or remembers what it looks like, could you help me? The one I got is blue-ish, with a city skyline with random metallic windows on the left, A circle on top that says "Hai Classic", a picture of the iron on the right and the word "Convertable" in metallic coppery-orange on the bottom right half. Did I get the right iron? The box does not say "solano" or anything on it- did I get ripped off? Please let me know ASAP, thanks so much MUA!

WOW! That is really all I can say. I purchased this after reading all the reviews and now that I have it......I couldn't be more pleased. My old flat iron (that I paid $125.00 for- it's a cricket) didn't do 1/4 of what this does. My hair was straight in about 5 minutes and I have already had 4 compliments on it today (and it's only noon!). I used to spend about 30 minutes to flat iron. Now it SERIOUSLY takes about 5. I purchased mine on amazon.com and paid about 55 bucks. I can't believe that I struggled for so long with a crappy flat iron (and I didn't even know it was crappy until I bought this new wonderful one!). WOW!!! You won't be disappointed.

LOVE IT! I have long wavy thick hair, and this makes it look beautifully straight! In fact my mom just said that my hair doesn't even look real when I use this. It makes it really smooth and not frizzy like my old hot tools. The best flat iron out there. One question though....How the heck do you curl with it?
UPDATE: I learned how to curl with it:) Just go to youtube, they have some pretty good videos that show u how to do it.

Love it! I really did my research before investing, thanks so much to the other reviewers! you saved me lots of time & money. I ordered mine from ebay for $77 USD, and after customs and such, it came out to just over $100 CAD, which isn't that bad. I looked around in beautty supply stores here (toronto) and couldn't find even a similar product for under $200. I have short hair, done in <5 minutes. To really test it, I tried it on my sister's long, messy hair and it was stick straight in under 10 minutes! Love the long , pivoting cord too. Just watch out if you have a habit of combing your hair with your fingers after straightening, it gets HOT. And it did heat up in seconds.

My hair looks beautiful, and it took 10 minutes. Don't bother with any other flat iron. Love this thing! Thanks MUA!

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

LOVE this flat iron! I don't know what took me so long to buy it. I was a little scared that I would fry my hair but it leaves it shiny and soft. My hair is much less puffy than it used to be and even on a rainy day I don't get any frizzes! Definitely use a serum or some kind of protectant before using it though. I bought mine on Overstock.com for $85 + a 2 year warranty.

Thank you fellow MUAers!! After reading your review, I finally decided to buy my first ever flat iron (yeah, I'm a little slow to catch on). I bought the Hai convertable on ebay for about $60 (with shipping). I like tge temperature dial but just wish the dial and power switch were on the outside of the iron instead of inside. On dry hair, I'll spray V05 Miracle Mist and then run the iron through. I can't believe how easy it is. This has cut back on the morning prep time.

I am currently on my second HAI Convertable and I love it. The CHI leaves my hair a bit too dry; the Solia didn't straighten it quite as well and was awkward to hold. The HAI is lightweight enough to hold, but it works. It doesn't have those exposed plates on the side like the CHI does, so you don't burn your ears or fingers when straightening your hair. Also, the HAI is espensive, but not ridiculously expensive (like some of the CHIs are, or the FHI) and it doesn't melt or fall apart or anything. Cheaper irons, like Conair, often snag on my hair or don't straighten it well at all. The HAI is gentle, not too damaging, and leaves my hair soft and shiny. I will definitely buy a new one when this one breaks! (My old one lasted about 3 years. It still works, but the cord came loose and you had to hold it in while straightening. No risk of exposed wires or anything, just not a steady electric connection. I gave it to a friend who doesn't mind and bought a new one.)

Top Rated Solano Products