Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.8

AQUA / WATER, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, GLYCERIN, ISODODECANE, ALCOHOL, POLYGLYCERYL-4 ISOSTEARATE, ALUMINUM STARCH OCTENYLSUCCINATE, CETYL PEG/PPG-10/1 DIMETHICONE, HEXYL LAURATE, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, PHENOXYETHANOL, ACETYLATED GLYCOL, STEARATE, MAGNESIUM SULFATE, ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE, TRISTEARIN, CELLULOSE GUM, NYLON-1,2 LIMONENE, BENZYL SALICYLATE, LINALOOL, DIPHENYL DIMETHICONE ACRYLATES COPOLYMER, PARFUM / FRAGRANCE, DISODIUM STEAROYL GLUTAMATE, METHYLPARABEN, BUTYLPARABEN, BUTYLPHENYL METHYLPROPIONAL, ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE, HEXYL CINNAMAL [ /- MAY CONTAIN CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77491 / IRON OXIDES CI 77007 / ULTRAMARINES MICA

on 4/14/2015 11:31:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

Ordered online from Sephora and selected Luminous Silk Foundation as one of my samples. Sample of fdtn offered in one shade - 5.5. Too dark for my skin tone, but the fdtn itself did not work well for my skin.

The only "silk" like feature about this fdtn is the feel of it when first applied. After thirty minutes wearing this, my face felt uncomfortably taut and dry. Couldn't wait to wash it off my face.

Finish looked blotchy and cakey due to it oxidizing on my skin and clinging to dry patches.

D/S L'oreal True Match Lumi Healthy Luminous Makeup is still the forerunner in my fdtn stash.

on 4/14/2015 8:20:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

so I've given this a 4 as I'm yet to find the PERFECT foundation, but so far this is the nearest I've found! I'm quite tanned( work in a tanning salon lol) and I found shade 7 was actually the best matched shade foundation I've EVER had, so even for that purpose alone I'd 100% purchase again(I'm more pinky toned & a lot of other foundations make me look orangey, this just disappears into my skin effortlessly but still makes look tanned). I have dry skin and this is much better than Estee Lauder double wear my old foundation. I'd recommend going into a Debenhams or selfridges and having the sales assistant find your perfect match but for anyone ordering online I wore Honey Bronze in EL double wear which was as I said abit orangey and i ordered this in shade 7. Girls with a more yellow undertone I'd go for 6.5

This is expensive. This is grotesquely expensive. I am extremely grateful that I got this for free as I might kill me to regularly spend $62 on foundation.... even one this good.

I guess this isn't a proper review, because I do have to mix this with a bit of white foundation. My skin is WHITE pale. Very few brands make foundation pale enough for me. I've accepted this. So I mix my own foundation. Unfortunately, the white foundation I have is quite oily and that does change the finish of this foundation a bit.

I have this in the palest shade, which is 2. It's still too dark for my skin. Surprisingly though, this is very golden toned. Usually foundations in the palest shade are pink toned, so it's nice to see a pale foundation that isn't just for Irish redheads.

My skin is in pretty good condition. Not oily or dry, and I don't have anything serious to cover. The only issue with my skin is that it is sensitive. I've never had any issues with this foundation upsetting my skin. It's never given me acne, and never made my skin dry. I think if you had dry skin and were using this, it shouldn't be a problem if your skin was moisturized. This is too "dewy" for oily skin. Really cannot comment on wrinkles....

The coverage is very light. I have some freckles and a beauty mark, and they still show through with this. How it is possible that this foundation manages to even my skin tone perfectly without looking masky, flawlessly cover redness, and yet still let my freckles be visible is baffling. True story: my boyfriend out of curiosity asked what makeup I was wearing, and I said foundation, mascara, and a bit of blush. He was inches from my face and said "foundation where....". You see? Very impressive stuff. Sadly worth the $62.... But for someone needing heavy coverage or someone with bad skin, I'm not sure that this would quite cut it.

The finish is....luminous and silky. Couldn't have given this stuff a better name :) definitely not matte, not obnoxiously shimmery, and not "flat". It just looks like you have perfect, glowing skin.

My one issue with this is that the staying power isn't perfect. Can't give this a five because of it. It lasts through sweat amazing well, but unless it's set with powder it will rub off. If you touch your face, you'll have a little bit of foundation of your fingers :/ But even if it wears off a bit, it still looks okay. I also find that this doesn't dry very quickly, but that does leave more time to blend it in. If I use primer, this will go on very smoothly and evenly but my skin will get shiny after two hours. If I use this over sunscreen, it's a touch more difficult to blend and doesn't apply as smoothly, but it doesn't get shiny. My point is that this definitely isn't oil-controlling.

I've found it best to use a matte powder over this. I've used Revlon Photoready Translucent Finisher over this and it was too shimmery.

Aside from the staying power, this foundation is absolutely wonderful. It makes my skin look absolutely perfect. Best foundation I've ever used. If this was made in a shade that was pale enough for me, I would be utterly thrilled.

on 4/6/2015 8:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I am one of those people who read reviews and don't write them, so this is my first review on anything.

I purchased this foundation as I had heard so many beauty gurus rave about it, and the selling point was the admin girl at my doctors surgery who had it on and raved about it.

In Australia this foundation retails for $91 so it is very expensive.

Unfortunately, I wanted to love this foundation but it just didn't work for me. I have oily skin. It has been summer here in Australia since I started using it about 6 weeks ago and I couldn't for the life of be figure out why i was having continuous breakouts on my forehead! All my pores were blocked and bumpy and then i was getting pimples. I clean my face and take my make up off as soon as I get home every day from work, i changed my cleanser, I ex-foliated, i changed my moisturiser and toner, and I was doing face marks and peels once a week to unclog my pores as I thought it was from sweat/hot weather (its been extremely humid here) plus i even gave up the gym for a week thinking it was sweat related, and nothing cleared it up. I had never broken out from a foundation before in my life so didn't think of this. But then I found a couple of reviews who said that they had broken out and that the foundation was high in silicone, and I clicked. I did find that my forehead was getting more oily with this foundation, i could put the back of my hand against my forehead in the afternoon and it was just oil pressing back onto my hand. It was horrible. I soon stopped it and went back to my Nars Sheer Glow and noticed when i would take this off when i got home my forehead was nowhere near as red and irritated. I actually ended up going to the dr to get a acne gel to unclog my bumpy forehead, it looked horrible. Was thinking of keeping the foundation for special occasions because it photographs beautifully but I don't think I will risk it, especially if its a hot day.

Have just had a tester of the Lancome Teint Mircale foundation and am liking that, so think I will purchase it.

on 4/5/2015 3:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The finish of this foundation is beautiful. Not dewy just glowing. The coverage is light but it glides on like silk and needs almost no blending. When set with loose powder, it lasts all day even with my slightly oily skin. I do use a primer underneath though (Smashbox). It was worth the high price tag but I'm taking two lippies off because it's really pricey.

on 4/4/2015 7:54:00 PM

In general, I love this foundation. It's great for my dry skin, gives acceptable coverage, and the finish is gorgeous. My only problem is that I'm considerably pale and the lightest shade is too dark for me to pull off even in the summer (I'm also not a fan of mixing products to get the right color). It's great but I can hardly ever use it because of the lack of fairer shades. People with medium-deep skin will love this, though.

on 4/2/2015 8:02:00 AM

I *really* like this. Not being stingy with my lipsticks, but I'm saving five for that one foundation that is 100% perfect!! (And I don't know if that even exists!!) This almost is... The colour match is great, it looks lovely on my skin and the staying power is OK. I think if you needed some heavier coverage this wouldn't be for you, but if you're after a more light to medium coverage it works well. I usually just use it on its own, applied with my Zoeva 104 buffing brush, but on a particularly good skin day, I did sheer it out a little with a spray of Mac Fix+ on my brush before application. I like it a lot - and for now it's my go-to foundation; I'll definitely re-purchase.

on 3/29/2015 7:40:00 AM

Probably the best foundation I've used for staying power. I set it with Mac blot powder and it doesn't turn cakey and it lasted for hours. I don't find it as luminous as I thought I would. My skin is usually quite oily but has changed very recently to combo and I'd say this seemed quite drying at times. I matched my skin perfectly to number 5 but later found it too pale and it looked green in photos which I was shocked about since others had reviewed it's to have no flash back or whatever. I have used it on top of lightweight foundations and it's sealed those well which is cool because it means I can still use it. The shades are supposed to be very different so choose wisely. I want 5.75 and will probably purchase when I find it (not found in Harvey nicks yet) - foundation matching the bane of my life!

on 3/25/2015 1:30:00 PM

I do not get the fuss over this. All I hear is how this is the HG foundation and celebs swear by it! It dried my skin out (which is oily/combo). I usually use MUFE HD, Urban Decay Naked, or Face Atelier and they are much better choices.

This is an HG foundation and it's worth every single penny. I got mine I shade 4 which is so the wrong shade for me but I sould at least be a 5 or 6 but it still works for me I like that it is silky and it does have a sheen like silk. When it's on the skin It feels so nice and not heavy at all this just an amazing foundation and I would repurchase this over and over again I even got my sister on it and she loves it too!

Video Reviews & Tutorials