September 20, 2014 | 1050 users online

Liquid - Giorgio Armani - Luminous Silk Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/24/2014 8:52:00 PM More reviews by Eastend_Snob

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I rarely wear foundation. Once I outgrew my hormonal teenage years and my skin settled down, I reverted from full coverage foundations to tinted moisturizers. But sometimes it's nice to doll up, especially for dinners, parties and events. My last foundation was Chanel Teint Innocence, which was sadly discontinued, but I really loved the luminous finish it gave my skin. GA LSF is a light to medium coverage foundation, and you can build it up without looking cakey. I love the hygienic pump action bottle (one pump is all I need), and the luxuriously creamy and super blendable formula. I start off in the morning with a "makeup fresh" face and soft powdery look after setting with MUFE loose powder, but by late afternoon it becomes my second skin, and looks more natural and dewey. I highly recommend getting colour matched. Not only is this one of the most expensive foundations on the market to not warrant going home with the wrong colour, but the shade range is not strictly linear. I was matched to 4.5 which is a near perfect match for my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2014 9:45:00 PM More reviews by Iana2592

Love love love no complaints at all.. Gave a beautiful glow to my skin and is medium coverage. You don't have to use too much a little goes a long way. Defo recommend

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2014 6:22:00 PM More reviews by maja1502

My skin is very oily and acne prone. I adore this product! Its mattifying, but yet it gives you such a beautyful glow and healthy look.
My holy grail. Soo worth the hype and money.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/19/2014 12:47:00 PM More reviews by ViMaquillage

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Just some ref: I'm somewhere around NC37-40 at the moment, I have oily combo skin and suffer from residual acne scars.

GA LSF offers a light-medium coverage and dries to a satin finish which does require some powdering, either by setting or touch ups. I was color matched to 6.25 which is a decent match, it doesn't have too much yellow unlike my previous foundation. I do find that it's not really the best when it comes to oil control, depending on the weather--I do touch up with some powder and continue on with my day.

I'm surprised to say how much I enjoy this foundation, I was hoping not to because of the price. It just looks so natural on the skin but still provides the necessary coverage that I require. I do use my fingers to apply and blend the foundation, then follow it up with my Beauty Blender to give it a final blend(IF necessary). I prefer this over Lancome's Teint Idole Ultra because it doesn't separate on my face by the end of the day and continues to look flawless without the obvious make up look even after touching up with some powder.

It leaves your skin with a glow but not dewy. I do recommend using a primer with SPF as this foundation has none, and as to what brand--that's your preference. I enjoy Philosophy's The Supernatural. GA makes their own primer but I find that to be too silicone-y for my comfort.

Overall, this has knocked out my Lancome foundation that I've been using for years out of its rank. I will definitely repurchase!

I highly recommend testing these out first and try to buy it from Nordstrom as they're more willing when it comes to returns.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/13/2014 6:41:00 PM More reviews by milevamaric

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

After much deliberation and trial, I've finally come to a conclusion regarding this product. Here are my major issues with this product. These issues result in this product receiving a 1 star review, as opposed to an average 3 star review.

A.) It's over-priced, with no luxurious ingredients to justify the cost. Additionally, the formula is very heavily fragranced and contains several skin irritants.The formula manages to include silicone and alcohol (two known irritants) within its first few ingredients.

B.) Beyond the problematic price and merely average packaging, Luminous Silk doesn't wear well. I'd excuse poor ingredients and heavy fragrance if the foundation provided a flawless finish, but even with a primer, clear skin, and proper moisturization, it separated within 3 hours, and became incredibly dry. (I use a silicone-free primer, which may not react well with the heavy silicone formula of Luminous Silk, but I have two other foundations in my rotation that contain silicone and function fine with the same primer.)

C.) Adding insult to injury, this product causes breakouts on otherwise clear skin. I have sensitive, fair skin, and occasionally experience breakouts from products. Often these breakouts are excusable, as the products are otherwise exceptional. With Luminous Silk, however, the breakout becomes unacceptable as the product offers only an exorbitant price, poor finish, short wear, and sub-par ingredient list,

In conclusion, this is by far the worst foundation I have ever used, with no redeemable qualities. As much as I detest literally throwing away 60 dollars, Luminous Silk will be entering my trash bin shortly. (Neiman Marcus has an incredibly restrictive return policy.)

Hope this review helps!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2014 2:16:00 PM More reviews by eimearsg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is my second favourite foundation !!! Literally makes you look so flawless and glowy ! I wear 6.5 and I'm a nc35 - 40 in Mac ! Deffs not as yellow but that's great because I don't have much yellow in my skin ! I'm very neutral ! ... This is a medium coverage and is great for someone with dry skin ! But I also know some oily girls who use this and love it ... Depending on what primer setting powder etc I could see this working for a variety of people ! This is always the foundation I turn to for nights out and special occasions ! Reminds me a lot of my other favourite vitalumiere aqua only with a bit more coverage ! ... Everyone needs to get this foundation tho it's absolutely amazing !! It just looks like your skin except perfect ! I find I get the best finish when I use my fingers ! It really helps work the foundation into skin and gives me the most natural finish :)

rated 3 of 5 on 3/8/2014 9:47:00 AM More reviews by ilali

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

THE FORMULA:
Firstly, this is a good pick for DRY SKIN, not recommended for oily skin whatsoever. LIGHT MEDIUM to BUILDABLE coverage. This foundation is runny, but not so runny that it becomes difficult to apply. It is water based so it does not have an emollient like consistecy, however it is good for dry skin. LOOKS BEAUTIFULLY LUMINOUS WHEN FIRST APPLIED. I was going through a period of very dry flakey skin when I purchased this foundation to wear at my sisters wedding. It applied very well without catching onto the dry patches, but I did apply a very rich night cream the day before the wedding to ensure that my makeup does not cling to my dry skin. Overall the formula is GOOD but at $90 Australian Dollars I had expected it to be faultless.

THE COLOR RANGE:
Giorgio Armani uses a very odd numbering system (4, 5, 5.75, 6, 6.5, 7 ect) and is very confusing because the numbers do not necessary indicate the darkness of the shades in ascending order. I found shade 5 to be darker than shade 6. There is also no particular order for undertones. For instances, 5 is pink, 6 is yellow, 6.5 is reddish, 7 is pink. It is best to head to the counter and get a professional colormatch. Mine was spot on, I am SHADE 6.5 and for reference I wear STROMBOLI in Nars Sheer Glow NC35-40 in Mac Studio Tech and TAWNY in Estee Lauder Double Wear.

APPLICATION:
I applied this with a BEAUTYBLENDER. Because I have dry skin this was the best option for me. Ideally it should be buffed into the skin with a Kabuki if your skin can tolerate it. I would not recommend applying this with your fingers simply because this will result in a very sheer application.

STAYING POWER:
This foundation is definitely not long wearing. It will start to fade in the T-zone and breakdown after 5 HOURS MAX

THE VERDICT:
I will not buy this again mainly due to poor staying power and $90 AUD price tag!!!!

Check out my blog for more info and pics: http://arwaselixir.blogspot.com.au/

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2014 6:21:00 PM More reviews by Scrumpets

I love this foundation. I'm 40 & have very few lines although my skin is quite dry due to facial treatments. The base colour is more beige rather than pink/yellow like mac, which is perfect for my skin. This foundation is medium coverage although you can build on it or use concealer with it. It gives a lovely luminous dewy finish. U can easily make it matte with a powder. Ive tried all foundations & This is definitely the best!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2014 5:27:00 PM More reviews by Julip9

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the most fantastic foundation for people with normal to dry skin, and also it suits forty years plus, as well as younger skins. The shades are brilliant I wear MAC NW25 and 5.25 just blends to nothing, the best match I have ever had. It wears all through a work day without touch up, but that is on normal, dry skin. Definitely re purchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2014 7:45:00 AM More reviews by gwmagic77

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Wow great foundation and covers large pores flawlessly. Looks great in photos