April 17, 2014 | 1966 users online

Conditioner - Giovanni - Smooth As Silk Conditioner

rated 3 of 5 on 10/19/2010 2:54:00 PM More reviews by classylady407

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This conditioner was just okay for me. It felt good going on but once rinsed out I really did not feel anything so special. The major plus was that it is natural. When combined with the protein treatment it made a difference.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/9/2010 12:46:00 AM More reviews by cms0958

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Love this, found a big bottle for cheap at Marshall's a few months ago, guessing it will probably last most of a year on my slightly longer than shoulder length, wavy, thirsty hair. Works well as a conditioner after co-washing, I do feel like the matching shampoo was too drying for me when I used it previously. This has very good slip, doesn't stop moisturizing over time like the 50-50 did for me. Works well in higher dew points, detangles like a charm, works well with the Icequeen method (flip head over, scrunch conditioner in to promote clumping of waves/curls, rinse) or works well if I'm combing my hair out to be semi-straight.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2010 8:23:00 AM More reviews by GadoGado

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

My holy grail conditioner has been Jason Natural Apricot Super Shine (JNASS) for almost 10 years. It leaves my hair moisturized, shiny, and has great ingredients including hydrolyzed protein (the kind that binds most easily with hair keratin) which helps to provide a 'crutch' to my processed hair. I credit JNASS for achieving mid-back length texturized hair.

However, I've been spending a lot of time in a place that is a lot less humid than my home in the San Francisco Bay Area. This means that the humectants in the JNASS unfortunately dry my hair out in dry climates (see Curl Whisperer and Natural Haven blogs for scientific explanation of this). I'm bummed because it took me a while to find a JNASS retailer here, but now that I have it my hair is just as sad as it was when I didn't have it. At least I figured out why it stopped working!

Enter Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture Conditioner (SAS-DM, not to be confused with Smooth as Silk Xtreme Protein Hair Infusion). I've found this conditioner to create almost the exact same positive end results on my hair (i.e. making hair shiny, moisturized, softer) as the JNASS, but while I'm in dry, non-humid climates. It lacks the humectants that JNASS has (aloe, glycerin, panthenol) so it doesn't dry my hair out. Another nice benefit is it lacks -cones (JNASS has a bit of dimethicone, but at the bottom of the ingredient list). For now, it means I do have to get my protein from something else, but that is a small trade-off for the great results I get from SAS-DM.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/21/2010 4:22:00 PM More reviews by breakfasting

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

It didn't make my hair itself worse, but didn't do anything special for it either. The real problem was that about midway through the bottle I started to develop some wicked dandruff. I can't say what exactly in the ingredients caused it, but better steer clear if you have a sensitive scalp.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2010 2:24:00 PM More reviews by MissLivia

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love how this conditioner feels like it must be chock full of silicones, when it doesnt have any. Nice clean scent. Seems to help with moisture, although i use olive oil as a pre condition, so i might be biased. Organic, all natural, and fairly inexpensive.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2010 3:29:00 PM More reviews by sululu

This conditioner works best for damaged hair that needs protein. If your hair is merely dry or normal this might not work for you. My hair is colored and permed so it needs the protein. I've bought this over and over again and it has replaced Joico Kpak conditioner for me. It smells great and does not leave a heavy slip feeling. 5/5

rated 2 of 5 on 6/9/2010 5:28:00 PM More reviews by beautyishealth

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Smells nice, pretty bottle and healthy ingredients. However, it is very, very drying. I assumed a conditioner called "Smooth as Silk" would be moisturizing, but I was wrong. My hair is normal to dry, and it was left so dry after using this that I could barely get a brush through my hair. If your hair is very oily, it might be ok, but otherwise, don't bother.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/4/2010 10:08:00 AM More reviews by AnnieRocco

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Great smell (very light) and very silky smooth while on the hair. 'seems' to make my hair softer though i cant be sure yet as ive only tried it for once. will update again.

update: totally dried up my hair. i had a hair cut just before i started using this (to get rid of my split ends) but just after bout 10days of using this series(shampoo, conditioner, treatments etc), i now have a full head of split ends! unbelieveable! i wanted to remove ALL the lipies but it seems that i need to give a minimum 1 so there u are (the 1 lippie)

now im back to using the commercial shampoo and conditioner and wonder what to do with the remaining product...

rated 1 of 5 on 5/23/2010 5:03:00 PM More reviews by Kayr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is one of the worst conditioners that I've ever used. It was not moisturizing at all even though I thought that it would be because it had great slip in the shower when I applied it and rinsed it out. But it definitely dried out my hair overtime. Definitely will not ever re-purchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/27/2010 12:42:00 AM More reviews by Starrguise

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this for $1 at the local 'overstock' store along with the Smooth as Silk shampoo.

Unlike the shampoo, the conditioner has a very faint scent. At first glance, it seems like the texture of the conditioner would be very thick when applied to my hair, but my hair didn't soak it up like I thought it would. It's not runny or anything, but I just wasn't impressed by it's moisturizing quality.

It doesn't balance with the shampoo very well, as the shampoo is very stripping and the conditioner doesn't moisturize enough, so my hair feels dried out if I forget to use a deep conditioner.