MAC Pigment in Old Gold

4.2

on 12/6/2007 10:40:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Update--I've been experimenting with a few different bases for this, and the results are surprising. Over painterly paint pot, the color comes off as dirty brown/green. On bare study, it is bright (and I mean bright) golden chartreuse. Over blackground its a forest green with gold. Over dipdown liner, it's a light olive/gold. I don't care too much for the colors on the lighter bases, but over the darker ones, it's really gorgeous. I highly recommend trying this with different base colors. ---End Update

One word to describe this color: unsubtle. It is very easy to overdo this one, and I personally save this for night only if I am using it on my eye. Applied by itself without anything to tone it down, you'll look like a Vegas showgirl from the 70's. Used with other colors, the effect can be rather stunning and sophisticated. I've tried this with browns, blacks, and greens, and for me, the best effect is with a matte or satin dark brown - it tones down the "shock" value just enough, but keeps the impact. On me it appears like a golden chartreuse, and if I sweep this allover my eye, I look like a green "Mimi". Ugh. So after I apply this as a wash and in the inner corner/tear duct I tone down the outer corner and crease with a dark brown. Another must: blend, blend, blend. Result: impact without reminiscing of Drew Carey. For day I use this wet as a liner with a neutral eye - it's a great pop of color to bring out my brown eyes without being too over the top. Worthwhile to have in the makeup aresnal for a change of pace, but I would recommend getting a sample first, since it could really be love or hate with this one.

What I love about Old Gold pigment is the fact that it's not just a gold shade, but has hints of brown and green. It looks even better and more vibrant when applied with MAC's Water Based Mixing Medium. Although I have used MAC products for years, I didn't start using and buying pigments until 2 years ago. A very nice MAC MA working at a Freestanding store gave me a few samples a few years ago, and I have been hooked on MAC pigments ever since. For reference, I'm a NC44, GGG.

on 10/29/2007 4:09:00 AM

Dirtied yellow gold with some brown and pretty blue-green reflects! :D Don't use this often and wouldn't repurchase again for that reason; also is not the best on my skintone unless I use it in the right combination of other shadows/Pigments. Great color, though! Great texture, too! Fabulous with all eye colors! Definitely give this a try and see if it works with your skintone!

on 10/14/2007 11:09:00 PM

I love this color. I'm an NC25 with brown eyes. It brings my eyes out so much. The colors look slightly different when you use different color bases. I like to sport really "loud" eyes, so this really works for me. I tried it on while I was at MAC and showed it to my boyfriend, and he loved how the color looked on me so he bought it for me.

on 10/5/2007 6:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This pigment is amazing! The color is so cool looking hehee...to some it's neon green and others more of a gold-brown color...it's easy to work with and looks pretty if paired with a green, brown or gold shadow.

on 8/21/2007 7:30:00 PM

Unique. Very blendable. Color is as described. This may sound weird, but if you barely dip your finger and tap it over lip balm, it looks incredible.

on 7/15/2007 12:43:00 AM

To me it seems like a neon green color as opposed to the brown with gold and green every one else seems to be getting. perhaps this is because my skin is a little bit darker, its an o.k color imo.

After sampling Fyrinnae's loose powders I feel very strongly in reviewing how wonderful MAC pigments are. They are soft, blendable and Old Gold is the most unique greenish gold colour in my collection. I have it in sample but I will be buying the full size.

on 6/2/2007 8:50:00 PM

First time I tried it, it was the grossest thing EVER! But then I gave it a second try and I have to say this is a VERY unique color. Last I blended this color into the crease and bove my lid and its SO georgeous. I think you really have to know what your doing with this color or else it will loook bad. This alone its quite scary but paired with other colors it looks GREAT. My suggestion is ask the MA to show you how to wear it. Or get a sample and make sure to try it with a variety of colors. Removed a lipstick because this is a color you have to really thing about before putting it on.

I don't see how anyone could NOT like this color! It's such a unique color, and depending on the light and which way you turn your head, you'll have gold, green, or both!

I've gotten so many compliments on this color, especially when I pair it with Humid - it's a very striking and very lovely combination.