Dermalogica Ultra Calming Cleanser

3.9

Not tested on animals

NEW INGREDIENTS: Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Bisabolol, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Extract, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Glycerin, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Butylene Glycol, Pentylene Glycol, Hydroxyphenyl Propamidobenzoic Acid, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Fumaria Officinalis Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Fumaric Acid, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Fruit Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Extract, Echinacea Purpurea Extract, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate, Cetyl Trimethyl Ammonium Chloride, Salix Alba Bark Extract, Usnea Barbata (Lichen) Extract, Glyceryl Caprylate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Panthenol, Aminomethyl Propanol (05/2011). OLD INGREDIENTS: Lavandula Angustifolia(Lavendar) Extract, Cetearyl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Citrus Medica Limonium (Lemon) Extract, Fumaria Officinalis Extract, Fumaric Acid, Cucumis Sativis (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium CHloride Phosphate, Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate, Cetrimonium Bromide, Acrylkates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Butylene Glycol, AMinomethyl Propanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben 5/20/09

on 6/20/2011 3:18:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

My beautician gave me this recently to try as she thought I was using too many exfoliants in my skincare routine.

Given that I actually quite like a lot of the new products Dermalogica have been bringing out (generally the Age Smart range) I thought there would be no harm in trying this, and it's supposedly Ultracalming.

Well, I can't say that it worked for me. Within a week of using this I had breakouts, more blackheads than usual and there was nothing calm about my skin.

I know it was this as this was the only product I had added or changed in my routine at the time.

I am a bit sad this didn't work, but my skin seems to be very anti to sensitive skin products. This may work for people with less reactive skin than me. It was actually a nice textured cleanser and wasn't too fragranced. I might give this another go in the future, but for now this is on my blacklist. Such a shame.

on 5/27/2011 2:35:00 PM

This is my HG cleanser. The best way I can describe my skin is CONFUSED. It is extremely sensitive (the natural oils from my face even irritate it), sometimes oily, sometimes dry, usually flaky and very acne prone. My skin was NEVER like this until about 4 or 5 years ago, and I was using acne cleansers and treatments to no avail. I used other Dermalogica products, and until recently, the Clean Start cleanser was my favorite. Then I hit 32 and my skin changed. It is now much drier and more delicate than before. My mother gave my daughter some Ultra Calming cleanser, and I decided to try it one night when my face was particularly irritated. I always use the Precleanse first, so a cleanser being strong enough to remove makeup is not a huge issue for me. After the first use, I noticed my skin was much softer, brighter and calm. I decided to buy a full-size bottle and I am SO glad I did. This stuff is AMAZING. I have not had a a breakout since I started using it, not even at that time of month. Sure, I'll get one blemish here and there, but they're few and far between, and my breakouts normally mean a minimum of three pimples. Not the case anymore, thanks to this cleanser. It calms my skin and makes it less reactive. Combined with the Precleanse, it is the perfect skincare regimen for someone with sensitive, acne-prone skin. I like the consistency and the light, pleasant smell. It almost numbs my face as I massage it into my skin. Your skin will feel a little weird as you rinse it, but once you pat it dry, it just feels like nice, normal, healthy skin :) I highly recommend it to everyone, no matter the skin type, in combination with the Precleanse.

on 4/18/2011 9:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Did not irritate my sensitive skin, but nor did it clean. Had to wash face twice in a row to ensure skin was properly cleansed. Some may not like the lack of suds when applied.

on 3/26/2011 10:22:00 AM

This is a really great cleanser. Gentle, yet cleans perfectly. I have normal, combination skin and didn't need to use a product targeted for sensitive skin, but this works well for me.

I wear full make-up everyday, and my cleansing regime would be to remove my make-up with cleansing wipes, then wash my face with Ultra Calming Cleanser.

It is indicated on the bottle that the product should go on a dry face, but the SA told me that it would be better to moisten your face, unless your skin is sensitive even to water. A little goes a long way. I like that it gets slippery and smooth, and there is no fragrance, too.

After washing off with water there is no tight feeling at all, and my face feels soft and moist, even though I don't tone or moisturize... bad, I know...

It is not expensive - the bottle can last at least 6 months for me! Only downside is the packaging... I would much prefer if it was a squeeze out bottle, but then again all Dermalogica bottles are like this.

Overall, my skin became better after using this cleanser for less than 1 year :)

on 3/24/2011 5:37:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Not a fan of this one at all. Doesnt feel like it cleanses my skin. Its greasy feeling to me and leaves a film on my face. Will not buy again!

on 3/24/2011 1:39:00 PM

Great cleanser. I have got a very sensitive skin and I'm allergic to most skin-care. This is the first product that feels totally great on my skin. It didn't give me any irritations or itch. It cleans my face really well and doesn't dry out my face.

on 3/10/2011 4:07:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I used a sample of this before I bought it. It felt soothing and creamy. My skin never felt dry after using it. I purchased it and discovered once I was back in my daily work routine, that it doesn't take off makeup. The fact that it doesn't lather or foam made me feel unclean. It took off no water based mascara, not even a bit. I would recommend this for someone who has rosacea or really dry skin that doesn't get any clogged pores and certainly doesn't wear makeup.

on 2/25/2011 8:23:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I still love Special Cleansing Gel, but I think the bottle I have is contaminated. I can't be so sure, because Ive added Daily Microfoliant every am. Whatever the case I started getting painful little spots. I went and bought Ultra Calming Cleanser under the logical assumption that because I was using Daily Microfoliant, which contains salicylic acid, perhaps with SCG it was too much.
I don't know. I'm not loving it. I really don't like the texture. I dislike gooey, viscous cleansers like spectrogel and the like. I love a foaming cleanser. Also, since I've started using this, my skin has a slightly sandy feel when I wash...a sign to me of mildly clogged pores. I think I'll exchange it for my HG and see if it's a contamination issue.
I'll update. I'd hate to have to ditch the Microfoliant. I've held back on a review because I'm superstitious.

on 2/21/2011 10:46:00 AM

I use this cleanser only to clean my eye make up because I like foam cleanser to wash my face. This cleaser is awsome. When I used other make up removers, I always saw 2-3 eyelashes on the cotton. But this never shed my eyelashes and remove the mascara totally. (I use normal mascara not waterproof) Consequently I love it.

on 2/20/2011 5:16:00 AM

this is a review for ultracalming cleanser for face and eyes. the product has been recently reformulated and i have yet to try the new version. i just wanted to clarify which one i have used because i have heard that they different. anyway this cleanser is awesome. i'm not used to cleansers that don't foam, but i haven't been able to get my usual cleanser so i decided to try this since i've been experiencing a bit of redness and dryness and i really like it so far. it's very silky in texture, a combination of gel and cream. it rinses cleanly off the skin without leaving any residue. just to clear up any confusion from some reviews i read below, this product does not contain any silicone.this is the ingredients for the version that i am using: Lavandula Angustifolia(Lavendar) Extract, Cetearyl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Citrus Medica Limonium (Lemon) Extract, Fumaria Officinalis Extract, Fumaric Acid, Cucumis Sativis (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium CHloride Phosphate, Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate, Cetrimonium Bromide, Acrylkates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Butylene Glycol, AMinomethyl Propanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

the new, reformulated version no longer contains parabens and i believe has more soothing ingredients but can no loner be used too closely around the eye area.

overall a great cleanser.