November 26, 2014 | 1764 users online

Cleansers - Dermalogica - Ultra Calming Cleanser

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2011 4:07:00 PM More reviews by gurululu

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I used a sample of this before I bought it. It felt soothing and creamy. My skin never felt dry after using it. I purchased it and discovered once I was back in my daily work routine, that it doesn't take off makeup. The fact that it doesn't lather or foam made me feel unclean. It took off no water based mascara, not even a bit. I would recommend this for someone who has rosacea or really dry skin that doesn't get any clogged pores and certainly doesn't wear makeup.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/25/2011 8:23:00 PM More reviews by Carybear

I still love Special Cleansing Gel, but I think the bottle I have is contaminated. I can't be so sure, because Ive added Daily Microfoliant every am. Whatever the case I started getting painful little spots. I went and bought Ultra Calming Cleanser under the logical assumption that because I was using Daily Microfoliant, which contains salicylic acid, perhaps with SCG it was too much.
I don't know. I'm not loving it. I really don't like the texture. I dislike gooey, viscous cleansers like spectrogel and the like. I love a foaming cleanser. Also, since I've started using this, my skin has a slightly sandy feel when I wash...a sign to me of mildly clogged pores. I think I'll exchange it for my HG and see if it's a contamination issue.
I'll update. I'd hate to have to ditch the Microfoliant. I've held back on a review because I'm superstitious.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2011 10:46:00 AM More reviews by boccuk1

I use this cleanser only to clean my eye make up because I like foam cleanser to wash my face. This cleaser is awsome. When I used other make up removers, I always saw 2-3 eyelashes on the cotton. But this never shed my eyelashes and remove the mascara totally. (I use normal mascara not waterproof) Consequently I love it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2011 5:16:00 AM More reviews by luisajames

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

this is a review for ultracalming cleanser for face and eyes. the product has been recently reformulated and i have yet to try the new version. i just wanted to clarify which one i have used because i have heard that they different. anyway this cleanser is awesome. i'm not used to cleansers that don't foam, but i haven't been able to get my usual cleanser so i decided to try this since i've been experiencing a bit of redness and dryness and i really like it so far. it's very silky in texture, a combination of gel and cream. it rinses cleanly off the skin without leaving any residue. just to clear up any confusion from some reviews i read below, this product does not contain any silicone.this is the ingredients for the version that i am using: Lavandula Angustifolia(Lavendar) Extract, Cetearyl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Citrus Medica Limonium (Lemon) Extract, Fumaria Officinalis Extract, Fumaric Acid, Cucumis Sativis (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium CHloride Phosphate, Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate, Cetrimonium Bromide, Acrylkates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Butylene Glycol, AMinomethyl Propanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

the new, reformulated version no longer contains parabens and i believe has more soothing ingredients but can no loner be used too closely around the eye area.

overall a great cleanser.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2011 5:28:00 AM More reviews by juicedluce

I bought this cleanser after having a Dermalogica deep cleansing facial. I have never looked back! What an amazing product, I have extremely difficult skin, fair, oily t-zone, dry cheeks, acne prone and sensitive! I've used so many products over the years but this one is truly making a difference. Unlike Cetaphil it washes off clean (I found cetaphil left a film of sorts) and doesn't clog my pores. It is quite pricey though and the design of the new bottle is a little irritating (it can be hard to squeeze the product out) but on a whole if you want gentle, effective cleansing then this is for you!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/10/2011 12:11:00 PM More reviews by crazygirlpink

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like using this cleanser when my skin is red and sensitive. The texture is lovely and silky to use, but once my skin is recovered from the redness and sensitivity, I find that the cleanser isn't enough for my oily skin.
I can be sensitive to water in different places, so when my skin is going through a bad phase and I have to travel for work. I take this cleanser with me...apply, massage, tissue off the cleanser and rinse with bottled water.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/4/2011 11:01:00 AM More reviews by jmorocco

Iím really enjoying many of the Dermalogica products these days. After having a face mapping done apparently I really should steer more towards products for sensitive skin, something I never took in to consideration. This cleanser reminds me of the much over-hyped Cetaphil in texture and use, but has so much more going for it. Check out the ingredients and see why itís so soothing and calming. Just the smell calms me down. Not being use to a non-foaming cleanser, it was a bit of an adjustment, but now Iím sold, especially using it in conjunction with the Precleanse product Ė another fantastic buy!
Products are pricey, but when it comes to skincare itís important to do it right.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2010 1:40:00 AM More reviews by cr4ckthesky

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My HG cleanser! I didn't use it before the formula changed, so I have no gripes with that. It works perfectly on my sensitive combination skin. I still suffer from occasional breakouts but they are purely hormonal. I honestly believe that this cleanser helps clear them up more quickly because it removes all excess oil and only leaves the good stuff! My skin is always so soft after using it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2010 7:27:00 AM More reviews by xmikix

This used to be my HG cleanser for my HYPER-SENSITIVE, combination dry acne-prone skin. Its just a super gentle gel/cream based cleanser that doesn't strip my natural oils but keeps my skin from breaking out and just...manageable, which is more than I could ask for with my super sensitive skin. It hydrates my dry patches and keeps my oily bits normal. Of course, it is horrible at removing make up...but I just use this as a normal cleanser. This is why I gave it 5 stars.

The packaging is fantastic if you buy it as 500ml bottle which comes with a pump. The 250ml packaging, however, is atrocious, and it comes with a flap top that you have to press the top and squeeze the bottle (this becomes an issue when you have hardly any product left) for the product to come out.

HOWEVER, I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED THAT THEY HAVE NOW CHANGED THE FORMULA AS OF 2010 worldwide (except for Australia).

The new formula has some sort of ultracalming 'complex'...I'm not sure what the ingredients are as they are patented...but this new 'complex' of ingredients breaks me out...and makes my dry patches BURN AND BECOME RED, INFLAMMED AND HORRIBLY ITCHY! This leads to horrible break outs and even drier skin. Not just that, it stings my eyes when its not even remotely close to my eye area, which is not something the old formula did.

I'm devastated as this has been my HG for over 5 years.

For those in Australia, they have yet to replace this product on the shelves with the NEW formula. So STOCK UP LADIES! They're planning to replace the old formula with the new formula within the next few months. All other countries are only stocking the new formula only now.

I don't know what other cleanser could ever replace it...now I'm on the search for my new HG cleanser. =[

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/7/2010 5:07:00 AM More reviews by drok

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

It doesn't clean at all ! You just "try" to wash your face with silicone. I got pimles after just 3 use as well as my sister. Won't buy again