December 18, 2014 | 1568 users online

Hair - Japanese Hair Straightening/ Thermal Reconditoning

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2005 12:11:00 PM More reviews by hill937

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Yes, this costs alot of money, but it is worth it in my opinion. To straighten my past-shoulder-length hair, it used to take me close to 30 minutes. Then sometimes after sleeping on it I'd wake up and it's wavy underneath, and of course going out in the rain ruins it. You know what I mean. Now, I can let it air dry and it's basically straight, or i blow dry and it takes me 7 minutes with a regular brush. No round brush, no sectioning off the hair, no arm getting tired from holding the dryer. And after 7 minutes, it looks just as straight as it did with my old routine. Just keep in mind your hair will be permanently straight until it grows out. Since my roots grow out pretty straight, I should not have to get it redone for about a year. Here are some tips:
1. Get the Liscio system done, not the Yuko system.
2. Only go to a reputable salon with someone who has alot of experience.
3. Buy the products they tell you to use on your hair afterward.
4. Tell them to leave a little body in if you don't want your hair to be poker-straight. (I personally loved the way my hair looked after I used to straighten it while blow-drying. It looked fuller and had more volume than naturally straight-haired people.)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2004 10:20:00 PM More reviews by chopstix888

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i got mine done at a salon. it was costly but well worth it and i plan to do it again if needed. so far it has been over 6 months and the new roots are pretty straight. it's kind of like it restructured the hair follicle or something.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2003 2:11:00 PM More reviews by CADUPREE

The brand I bought was One & Only Ionic Thermal Hair Straightner for Highlighted Hair/Color Treated Hair. It's actually made by Jehrri Redding. It is sold to professionals only, but I found it on EBay. I spent $50 total including the kit and supplies for 2 people. We had enough product for three people in one kit.

My sister and I did each other's hair, mine took 3 1/2 hours, chin length. Her's took me only 3 hours, and is shoulder length.
Both of our hair types are very fine, with some highlights, the only difference is mine is curlier than hers.

You cannot shampoo, wet, ponty-tail, or clip, etc. for 48 hours, and are to avoid crimping as well during this time period.

After doing using this process our hair was left smoother and shinier than ever. My hair went from curly to wavy, it is easier to straighten, takes about half the time, but I still have to blow-dry and touch up with a ceramic iron.
I will experiment further in about a month or so, and will update this.

I think I may need a hotter iron, about 230 degrees to obtain pin-straight hair. Or I may need to let the first chemical step process longer. The directions are very good, but not specific on the time limit for processing this step. The package said 7-30 mins processing depending on hair type and knot test, but did not give an absolute max time. I think it's because it's sold for pro use only. I had left the first step in for 35 minutes, no damage.

You will need:

A good quality CERAMIC higher quality straightening iron, they say one that heats to at least 215 - 260 degrees. You need one that maintains constant heat. (I would recommend the higher range for curlier hair.) I have seen tale that irons up to 300 some degrees have been used in this thermal reconditioning process in salons! The steam created from my 215 degree max iron melted one of our combs! Please be careful!

A hightlighting brush.

A shampoo cape

Saran Wrap

A few medium and finer tooth combs.

A shampoo comb.

Patience.

Flexibility to do a back-bend into the sink, or a shampoo basin. (You want to keep the chemicals off your skin.)

Read the instructions CAREFULLY and follow them.

FINAL OPINION: THIS IS DEFINITELY WORTH ALL OF THE TROUBLE!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2003 10:45:00 PM More reviews by halfpast

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I had hit or miss with this product in the salons (basically the longer they iron your hair, the straighter it is) and decided to try it at home. I was hesitant at first, but I bought some information from some chick on Ebay and let me tell you, DO IT YOURSELF! Qualified smallified, get a hot iron, some straightner and a good friend!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2002 9:59:00 PM More reviews by mandy_mann

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It's known as Japanese Hair Straightening or Thermal Reconditoning. If you have unruly waves and want a dramatic new look, consider this.

The hair you leave with is straight, soft and shiny without any help of products, the blowdryer or a round brush. Imagine that!

It is expensive, but clients who have it done say it is worthwhile.

Before you rush to the salon, you must know these facts.

1. You need two visits, one for the consultation and the other for the process. You need the consultation to see if your hair is appropriate for the process.

2. The entire procedure will take at least four hours. Be considerate and dont rush the hairdresser. Be considerate and dont cancel your appointment in the last minute.

3. You must not wet your hair for a day while the chemicals settle, just like a perm. Some even say you must not ponytail it during that time either. Ask your stylist.

4. Dont look for a salon that will offer the cheapest price. Look for a place that is qualified. Ask for references. If you know someone whose had it done, ask that person who did it.