Japanese Hair Straightening/ Thermal Reconditoning

4.3

on 8/12/2005 11:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I had TR done on my hair and it was a horrible experience. At the beggining I couln't be happier with the results. My hair was super straight once I blowed dried it. It would not stay straight if left it to air dry. I could get it just as straight before the process, by blow drying it. However after the TR it would remain totally straight in the highest humidity. I went to the caribean and had totally straight hair the whole time. The only thing I didn't like is that your hair won't shine much after the treatment. I later on found out this is actually normal after the procedure. But other than that I couln't be happier. That was until my hair started to break off and fall out. This started happening within the first two months. I purchased all the products I was told to purchase and used them religiously. Still, every time I combed my hair my bathroom floor looked like a rug. This wasn't a few strands of hair. It was so much that I wouln't comb my hair in front of anybody; it was just too embarrasing. I made sure to clean up the floor before leaving the bathroom and wraped the fallen hairs in toilet tissue before discarding them. The treatment is extremly expensive and if you have type 3b hair like mine you would need to do your roots every 4 months. About a year after I had it done, there was a special on TV about it. It turns out I wasn't alone. 100's of women went through the same nightmare.

However, to be fair, I didn't do much research before getting the treatment done. I wen't to a good salon but don't think they had enough experience with the treatment; eventhought they had many pictures of clients who had it done. According to the research I've done afterwards, if the process is done correctly this should not happen to your hair. So if you are going to do it, do your homework and get the best of the best to work on your hair. Good luck with that. There is only a handfull of stylists in the US that actually do the process correctly. They have done training in Japan where the treatment originates from. You can go to Verticalsinhair.com and get a ton of helpfull information. If that site would've been around back then, this would have never happened to me.
For those of you thinking about doing it yourselves DON'T. There is alot more to it than you think. The whole chemistry of it is really complicated, and you may not see it at first, but eventually you will have permanent hair reduction. The treatment is never suposed to touch your scalp because it can cause permanent folicle damage. Causing the folicle to stop growing hair permanently. You can not use a small toothed come, and the come has to be a special one with no ridges between the teeth. Those sharp ridges distroy the scales that cover your hair, causing unrepairable damage. The training that the stylists receive from the companies selling the product in the US is Incorrect. For the stylist to perform the service correctly he needs to be an expert in chemicall straighting. He needs to understand the composition and chemistry of the hair, and have extensive education and experience with chemicals. And needs to have the right tools. Do not get it done at a salon where they tell you that two different stylists will be working on your hair. You will end up with different texture on both sides. Different hair requires different timing, different temperature, even different tension when flat ironing. If the flat iron is not used with the proper speep and tension, it will result in hair breakage. That is just a few of the things that can go wrong. And that is being done by a stylist. Imagine doing it yourself. If you really want all the details, go to Verticalsinhair.com. The site is hosted by the number one TR stylist in North America.
It took over 2 years for my hair to recover. I had a bald spot in front of my head for a long time. I now have at least a third less hair than I used to. Thank God I had alot of hair to begin with. However I can no longer say I have thick hair. It does not look extremly thin, but when I touch the top of my head the density doesn't come close to what it used to be.
This was so not worth it. I regret it and would never do it again, even if it was with best expert. I have now learn how to make my hair perfectly straight even in high humidity. I looks shinier healthier and I have the option of wearing it curly if I want to. All you need is high quality products, and a high quality flat iron.
Remeber, your hair is your most important accesory. Don't take any chances with it.

on 3/8/2005 12:11:00 PM

Yes, this costs alot of money, but it is worth it in my opinion. To straighten my past-shoulder-length hair, it used to take me close to 30 minutes. Then sometimes after sleeping on it I'd wake up and it's wavy underneath, and of course going out in the rain ruins it. You know what I mean. Now, I can let it air dry and it's basically straight, or i blow dry and it takes me 7 minutes with a regular brush. No round brush, no sectioning off the hair, no arm getting tired from holding the dryer. And after 7 minutes, it looks just as straight as it did with my old routine. Just keep in mind your hair will be permanently straight until it grows out. Since my roots grow out pretty straight, I should not have to get it redone for about a year. Here are some tips:
1. Get the Liscio system done, not the Yuko system.
2. Only go to a reputable salon with someone who has alot of experience.
3. Buy the products they tell you to use on your hair afterward.
4. Tell them to leave a little body in if you don't want your hair to be poker-straight. (I personally loved the way my hair looked after I used to straighten it while blow-drying. It looked fuller and had more volume than naturally straight-haired people.)

on 3/14/2004 10:20:00 PM

i got mine done at a salon. it was costly but well worth it and i plan to do it again if needed. so far it has been over 6 months and the new roots are pretty straight. it's kind of like it restructured the hair follicle or something.

on 10/28/2003 2:11:00 PM

The brand I bought was One & Only Ionic Thermal Hair Straightner for Highlighted Hair/Color Treated Hair. It's actually made by Jehrri Redding. It is sold to professionals only, but I found it on EBay. I spent $50 total including the kit and supplies for 2 people. We had enough product for three people in one kit.

My sister and I did each other's hair, mine took 3 1/2 hours, chin length. Her's took me only 3 hours, and is shoulder length.
Both of our hair types are very fine, with some highlights, the only difference is mine is curlier than hers.

You cannot shampoo, wet, ponty-tail, or clip, etc. for 48 hours, and are to avoid crimping as well during this time period.

After doing using this process our hair was left smoother and shinier than ever. My hair went from curly to wavy, it is easier to straighten, takes about half the time, but I still have to blow-dry and touch up with a ceramic iron.
I will experiment further in about a month or so, and will update this.

I think I may need a hotter iron, about 230 degrees to obtain pin-straight hair. Or I may need to let the first chemical step process longer. The directions are very good, but not specific on the time limit for processing this step. The package said 7-30 mins processing depending on hair type and knot test, but did not give an absolute max time. I think it's because it's sold for pro use only. I had left the first step in for 35 minutes, no damage.

You will need:

A good quality CERAMIC higher quality straightening iron, they say one that heats to at least 215 - 260 degrees. You need one that maintains constant heat. (I would recommend the higher range for curlier hair.) I have seen tale that irons up to 300 some degrees have been used in this thermal reconditioning process in salons! The steam created from my 215 degree max iron melted one of our combs! Please be careful!

A hightlighting brush.

A shampoo cape

Saran Wrap

A few medium and finer tooth combs.

A shampoo comb.

Patience.

Flexibility to do a back-bend into the sink, or a shampoo basin. (You want to keep the chemicals off your skin.)

Read the instructions CAREFULLY and follow them.

FINAL OPINION: THIS IS DEFINITELY WORTH ALL OF THE TROUBLE!

on 3/6/2003 10:45:00 PM

I had hit or miss with this product in the salons (basically the longer they iron your hair, the straighter it is) and decided to try it at home. I was hesitant at first, but I bought some information from some chick on Ebay and let me tell you, DO IT YOURSELF! Qualified smallified, get a hot iron, some straightner and a good friend!

on 11/28/2002 9:59:00 PM

It's known as Japanese Hair Straightening or Thermal Reconditoning. If you have unruly waves and want a dramatic new look, consider this.

The hair you leave with is straight, soft and shiny without any help of products, the blowdryer or a round brush. Imagine that!

It is expensive, but clients who have it done say it is worthwhile.

Before you rush to the salon, you must know these facts.

1. You need two visits, one for the consultation and the other for the process. You need the consultation to see if your hair is appropriate for the process.

2. The entire procedure will take at least four hours. Be considerate and dont rush the hairdresser. Be considerate and dont cancel your appointment in the last minute.

3. You must not wet your hair for a day while the chemicals settle, just like a perm. Some even say you must not ponytail it during that time either. Ask your stylist.

4. Dont look for a salon that will offer the cheapest price. Look for a place that is qualified. Ask for references. If you know someone whose had it done, ask that person who did it.