November 27, 2014 | 970 users online

Liquid - Bare Escentuals - bareSkin® Pure Brightening Serum Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20

rated 2 of 5 on 9/15/2014 4:27:00 AM More reviews by ekhamsomphou

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Alright product, i have super oily skin and it wore ok throughout the day with a primer underneath but rubbed off around my nose. also strangely enough even though this has 'minimal' ingredients, after switching to use this foundation I broke out - and my skin isn't usually prone to doing that so it was strange. don't think i'll be using this again..

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2014 10:32:00 PM More reviews by isabella8

This is only the second time I've ever bought a foundation online without trying a tester. They don't have this in Canadian stores yet so based on reviews I'd read on Sephora's website, I ordered Bare Linen 03 because I am Fairly Light in their mineral foundation and Sephora Colour IQ #2Y06 (or MAC NC20-25). I took a chance on this foundation because I wanted something light, natural, and free of many toxic ingredients that most foundations have. I'd been a longtime user of their mineral powder foundation so I'm familiar with their tap and swirl technique, which came in handy for applying this foundation.

I'm really impressed with this foundation because it felt completely weightless on my skin. It lives up to its name as "Bare Skin"! I didn't buy their brush, instead, I used a flat-headed foundation brush I already had. Before applying the foundation, I shook the bottle vigorously, dropped 1 drop onto my brush, tapped and swirled the foundation onto my face. I repeated this 4-5 times (using 5 drops at most--a little goes a long way) all over my face. I have bad breakouts along my entire jawline and this foundation amazingly covered it all up without being cakey. I was impressed by how it covered all the redness while moisturizing my skin (my acne is dry, but my t-zone is oily). I think the brush I used was critical in evenly distributing this product. The key is having a flat-headed brush that you can swirl to reduce streaking.

The colour Bare Linen 03 was perfect for me. I would strongly recommend finishing off with a powder. I have combination skin (dry acne/oily t-zone) and it dries to a dewier finish for me because this product has quite a bit of slip to it. I dusted off with Cover FX's Translucent Setting Powder and the foundation stayed on all day. I only needed touch up around my nose mid-day.

Overall, this is one of the best foundations I've used in a long time. I'm very low-maintenance and this was quick to apply and it gave me natural looking skin. It doesn't feel like I'm wearing any foundation and I love it!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/7/2014 6:01:00 PM More reviews by RideTheLightning

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've seen my share of hype on this on blogs/YouTube and i can't really see where it's coming from. Any i the colors in my shade range are too pink and it oxidizes a lot. On top of it it doesn't set well and clings to ANY and EVERY fine line, dry spot, and every hair on your face even if it's not normally visible. I have combination skin and this clung horribly to my drier areas and slid right off normal to oily areas. And as a side note there is absolutely NO reason to get the equally as expensive brush to go with it. I noticed absolutely NO difference in application between using the brush you're meant to buy, my sigma F80 flat top kabuki, or even my $3 elf flat top powder brush. Shame on companies like Bare Minerals for pushing useless/sub-par brushes as being necessary to get a good look with a foundation.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2014 12:35:00 PM More reviews by Katras

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I tried to make it work, I really did. I bought shade three, Bare Linen (NC20-25), the color was pretty good, the coverage felt light but kind of funny (like you'd be afraid to touch your face or hug anyone for fear of smearing) and it didn't break me out but those were the only goods. I have sensitive dry skin that is acne-prone, which of course makes it a join to work with, here are some of the ways...

Trial 1: With Moisturizer and primer - using three drops on a e.l.f. powder brush (the dense flat-top one) and using a stippling and buffing motion I found it had a nice satin finish and covered minor blemishes and uneven skin tone well but that slid off my face about 3 hours later and caught little fine lines around my mouth.

Trial 2: Same as above abut with a slight powdering - lasted about 3.5 hours and noticed coverage began to fade.

Trial 3: Moisturizer - Same method as trail 1 but lasted roughly 1 hour when I noticed fading coverage.

Trial 3: Primer - using three on a e.l.f. powder brush (the dense flat-top one) and using a stippling and buffing motion I found it had matte finish that covered minor blemishes and uneven skin tone well but accentuated dryness and fine lines.

Trial 4: Mixed three drops into moisturizer and primer (in hand) and applied with fingers, found coverage much sheerer (as to be expected) but streaky and hard to blend.

I just don't think it's going to work for me, in theory I love it - I love the idea of light but flawless coverage without all the garbage they put in foundations nowadays, a foundation that it supposed to help your skin but I just can't seem to make it work, despite properly exfoliation, moisturizing and priming it just won't last on me or wants to highlight any dryness I might have. Oh well, back to the hunt for the perfect foundation. continued >>

rated 1 of 5 on 8/31/2014 5:55:00 PM More reviews by CStuartMonteith

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Oh! dear, I just tried the new Chanel powder foundation (see my review) and now I have tried the sample the SA gave me.
I have never had much luck with Bare Escentuals. Their mineral foundations look dreadful on me, although I admit that the feel on my skin is decent.
This one does not even feel good on my skin. It is very matte, at least on me as I have normal/dry skin, and highlights every single line and wrinkle. I look for a foundation which improves (at least momentarily) my skin, not make it look worse. It is difficult to blend (I used a Sigma brush) and despite the heavy feel, does not hide any of my brown spots. I cannot honestly recommend it to anybody, even if you have a young problem free skin, as it would do nothing to enhance it.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/31/2014 3:39:00 AM More reviews by urstandingonmytoes

The quest continues....you know what quest I'm talking about, the one for a great foundation. Sadly, this one isn't it.
CONS
1. The packaging. I have arthritis in my hands, the hard plastic bottle makes it almost impossible to squeeze out even a drop. I tried shaking it out and that didn't work either.
2. The formula. This literally sits on top of my skin and never sinks in...it highlights every bit of dry skin, every pore, ever crease.
3. I have been through menopause and have hot flashes, but even if it's just humidity...this doesn't stay on, it's sweats off and moves around.
4. Price. Expensive!
PROS
1. A little bit goes a long way, but the more you put on...the worse it looks. So, it's hard to get it to build up to a decent coverage without looking like a mask.
This was an epic fail for me and I'll be returning it.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2014 1:19:00 PM More reviews by yallagabig

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Bare Minerals delivers yet again! I am so happy with this product. My skin is naturally extremely oily but in recent months I've been treating with glycolic acid (Mario Badescu glycolic acid toner, it's magic in a bottle!) and so I have been MUCH drier lately. I began to need much more moisture in my skin, and started searching for a moisturizing alternative to my Bare Minerals original powder foundation, which I had been using since 2008. Perfect timing: just as I began this search, BE came out with this product.
First of all, I love that it truly is a "serum foundation" and they are not lying when they call it a foundation + skin care product in one. This really does improve my skin! When I take it off at the end of the day (I cleanse with a Dove Beauty Bar) my skin really is brighter and more radiant. It feels softer and more comfortable.
The product itself is very light and silky. The coverage is beautiful -- not "full coverage" but a little more than sheer. I would describe this almost as a high-coverage tinted moisturizer that, unlike other TMs and BBs, actually dries to a matte finish (whereas many others remain tacky and sticky). This is the most moisturizing foundation I have ever used, and yet it does not feel heavy or sticky. It looks radiant and captures light in a way that does not make me look greasy or oily. It actually reminds me a lot of Clinique Superbalanced Foundation, except that it is lighter and more moisturizing. But the texture and finish are similar (and also this one actually does improve the condition of my skin).
I do not use the brush -- in fact, I just apply it with my fingers (my skin is so dry these days that it just drinks up the product, and I find that as a result I have to use more than the recommended amount, but whatever). The packaging is good -- I love the idea of a squeeze-top, because open-top bottles can be unhygienic but pumps annoy me because they always leave like a ton of irretrievable product at the bottom and you've basically just wasted it because the pump can't reach it. My only packaging complaint is that you have to squeeze really hard to get any product out. But I do like that it's plastic. Price is fair, comparable to other foundations in this range.
I highly recommend this product to anyone with dry skin. (As a side note, I do still have to blot during the day with this foundation, but it handles blotting beautifully.) After about two weeks of use, my skin looks brighter (it really does fade dark spots!) and feels softer. I'm EXTREMELY pale with yellow undertones and the shade 01 Bare Porcelain (the lightest one) works perfectly for me (for reference, I was on the lighter end of Fairly Light in the original powder foundation).

rated 4 of 5 on 8/26/2014 9:28:00 PM More reviews by cha1291

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

awesome foundation! it blends in a airbrushed finish and lasts all day! i use it with my Cover FX liquid foundation brush from sephora instead of their brand brush. it takes a while to work in but if you can take the few extra seconds to do it you will get great results! i normally dont spend so much on foundation but this is worth it and a little goes a longg way so it lasts a long time! leaves me with awesome healthy glow skin! love and a must have product for me!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2014 4:59:00 PM More reviews by goodtiger

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My skin tends to be oily in the T zone and sweaty in summer. I need a foundation (when I wear one) that I can layer over my treatment products and sunscreen without it adding a heavy layer of emulsifiers, physical sunscreens and moisturizers. I just want something that evens out my tone and makes my skin look airbrushed.

This works for me using a small RT "Mini Face" brush that came as part of a set of travel brushes from RT. After applying my sunscreen I put about 3 drops of BareSkin on the brush and dab it all over then go over it in a buffing motion. Perfection.

Finding the right color was a challenge for me but Cream works well to cancel out redness and give a nice even tone. Also, shaking the bottle like crazy helps to disperse the pigments so that you dont get a blob of liquid - I think this is the mistake ppl are making if they say it looks greasy.

This is foundation for ppl who already have good skin, since it doesnt have any silicones or fillers to fill in fine lines or pores. My Biore SaraSara SS functions as my primer with this foundation.

Its not transfer-resistant. When I blot later in the day, some color comes off but its a small price to pay for something that is lightweight and makes my skin look and feel great.

eta: using a damp sponge to apply this doesnt give good results imho and also risks removing some of the SS underneath. I use a dry RT brush and work it around to blend.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/19/2014 9:53:00 AM More reviews by Duster

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Didn't buy this, tried a few samples so can't comment on price or packaging. However the stuff goes a very long way so I got a week out of each sample. Good selection of shades, and this looks great going on but this is only sheer coverage. This does not cover darker discolorations if you have them no matter how much you pile on. Also by the end of day I was a greasy mess; I did shake the product well before using; didn't make a difference. A primer may help, but I'm not adding another step in my routine to make this work. This is probably a better choice for someone with drier and more perfect skin than I.