November 20, 2014 | 2046 users online

Scrubs - Freeman - Charcoal and Black Sugar Facial Polishing Mask

rated 4 of 5 on 5/21/2014 2:09:00 AM More reviews by mosaic77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This mask (or more appropriately named "scrub") is very nice. I used it every week and my skin is so soft after using it. It is a great product for the price.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/20/2014 11:48:00 AM More reviews by Dowagr

This product has yet to do anything for my skin. No clearer pores, lesser pimples. when i apply it on my face it just warms up which is a nice feeling. particles are very evenly sized and sufficiently abrasive enough to use as an intensive scrub. it will work as a good physical exfoliant, but it's really not doing anything as a mask.

It's relatively cheap, but cap doesnt really close properly sometimes so product will leak all over the cap.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/8/2014 5:50:00 PM More reviews by Alura21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Consistency: This is pretty thick, grainy and harder to spread on the face. Very patchy looking once it's on. I find it's easier to apply on a damp face. Since it's so thick, it takes a lot more product to cover the whole face. I can see myself going through the tube faster.

Color: Black-ish gray.

Smell: It's okay, It didn't irritate my eyes.

Results: Man, When I was putting this on my face I kinda freaked out a little. It made my face feel really hot initially, but as time went on it started to just tingle. I was worried that I was having a reaction or it was going to make my face beet red.

After I washed it off, face was a light pink. Calmed down after a few minutes. My skin was smoother. My pore's didn't look any clearer though.

Overall, I wasn't that impressed with this. It's such a hassle to spread all over my face and the warm/hot sensation wasn't nice for me at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2014 3:51:00 PM More reviews by JustCakey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is the only scrub I use, it's the bomb diggity. I tried st. ives in the past but it wasn't my cup of tea. I like that this stuff is so thick, I feel like I'm getting my money's worth for the granules. I don't buy a scrub so I have to use a ton of product and really have to work it in to get an exfoliation affect. When I use this I work the scrub around on my skin for about 1 to 2 minutes, I think it works best if you make your skin just a teeny bit damp first, but not like full out wet. After scrubbing I wait about 5 minutes before washing it off. I can feel tingling a little bit. When I wash it off my skin feels refreshed, smooth, and awesome. It isn't irritating for me at all, and I have acne prone sensitive, pain in the arse skin.
2 thumbs up, it also smells great like sugary raspberries, and it's gotten on my lips before and it tastes alright, not that I recommend eating it of course, it just isn't nasty if it flakes by your mouth.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2014 2:38:00 AM More reviews by derivedhope

I don't understand the bad reviews. First of all, don't buy an intense scrub/mask if you have sensitive skin! End of story. With that said, I never see a difference in my skin no matter what I use on it or how much I scrub. This was not the case with this mask. Yes, it is a little tricky to get on (I found that dampening your face slightly helps). Once on, it did not burn or itch like masks have done in the past. It did feel like it was getting warm. After 7 minutes, wet and rubbed it GENTLY before washing off. Made my skin look very even, bright, and smooth, and feel like a baby's butt! At under $5, how can I complain? Keep in mind that if you break out, that just means that all the bacteria is being purged from your skin. You have to continue using it to see results (once all the bad stuff comes out of your pores, it'll clear up).

rated 1 of 5 on 4/29/2014 11:18:00 PM More reviews by sunnygt

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Not a fan. I wanted to like it and thought that I would, but even for someone with not sensitive skin like myself the grains of sugar were too rough for me. I love using charcoal as a cleanser (I use Lush's Coalface cleanser daily) but this didn't do anything for me whatsoever. I am excited to try some more masks from Freeman, though I'll probably be sticking to ones with a more clay-like consistency as I greatly prefer those.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2014 4:40:00 PM More reviews by bikerchick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Here I am to rain on the parade! I wanted to like this mask, but it just didn't do it for me. I bought a small single use packet and have to say I was really surprised when I tore into it. The texture was totally different than what I was expecting! It is really just a dark colored scrub, not mask like at all. I smeared it on, and I'm not sure if it was just my imagination or not, but I swear it warmed slightly (in a good way!) when it touched my skin. I had a hell of a time trying to get an even layer on my face, the sugar granules kept falling off onto my bathroom counter. I left it on for almost 10 min even though the package suggested 5-7 min. I added a bit of warm water and massaged it in a bit more before rinsing. The sugar granules are a bit rough and coarse, and even though my skin isn't super sensitive, I had to be pretty gentle. When all was said and done, my skin felt a bit softer but no other difference. I don't think this mask has nearly enough charcoal to actually detoxify. Luckily I didn't breakout after using like some other reviewers. I think if you're looking for a really scrubby scrub this might be your cup of tea, but I won't be buying it again.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/21/2014 10:31:00 AM More reviews by cat1018

Like another member, this made my face smooth but like clockwork a couple days later I had breakouts.
I did not want to throw out( waste) so I use as as a body scrub as I do with cleansers or scrubs that breakout my face.
Smells nice.
Lastly , just like others could not close the tube. Cheap and there is a reason.would not buy again even for 50 cents!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2014 8:47:00 PM More reviews by KandyKisses

I own every single Freeman mask. When a new one comes out, it's mine! I heard about this mask when Freeman sent out an e-mail announcing the new product and thought "hmm, doesn't sound like it would help my skin" but lately heard rave reviews over it. I went to Ulta (who didn't have it) and then Harmon's who had it on sale. I happily bought a tube and let's just say I wish I had bought ten more. Freeman makes the most amazing facial masks but this one is such a winner. My favorite was the dead-sea stress mask, but this beats them all. The sugar is gritty and it has a much different texture from all of the other masks. It's not that hard to spread it over your face. It feels nice going on. After only a few minutes it begins to naturally heat up and feels so great on the skin! I let it sit for around ten minutes and massage it off over the sink. You can just feel your skin glowing afterwards - it feels so smooth and baby soft. I've already used this five times and every time I'm amazed all over again. I think I'm gonna grab another tube tomorrow! When your skin is feeling dull or (like mine) broken out this mask will make you feel brand new. Great for before bed and also for the morning but I generally use before bed. I will buy over and over again... ugh, keep rockin Freeman.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/8/2014 10:25:00 AM More reviews by drawingasquare

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I picked up this scrub about three or four weeks ago, when I experienced a bad (probably weather-related) breakout. After a couple of days, it became clear that my usually effective skincare routine needed an extra boost to combat the resulting acne. I had heard that the Freeman masks were a great drugstore find, so I decided to give this one a try.

I've been really pleasantly surprised with the result. A few weeks later, not only is the acne long gone, but the texture of my skin is also much smoother, both in terms of appearance and texture. The darker spots that usually linger after my acne heals are also gone. This has been great for the dry patches that I sometimes get on my cheeks and forehead, too. My foundation goes on much more smoothly now, even without a primer.

I've been using this scrub/mask as directed on the packaging. Twice a week, I'll apply it, usually after a shower, and leave it on for 5-7 minutes. Then I'll massage my face with it for 1-2 minutes before rinsing it off. It says that you can use it more often as a scrub if you'd like, but I don't think I would. I think it could be a little too drying and abrasive if I used it every day, and since I've seen results using it this way, I'll continue to do so. I saw that some users on MUA tried it as a lip scrub, and I've found that it's good for that purpose as well.

As a couple of people have mentioned already, packaging is okay, not excellent. It takes me a minute or two to get the lid to snap shut, for some reason, so I wouldn't store this in my shower in case water got in the cap and diluted the scrub. But that really isn't a deterrent for me, considering that I spent $4 on it and it's made such a difference in my skin. It'll be a staple for me this spring, when I tend to break out most.