September 18, 2014 | 1828 users online

Scrubs - Freeman - Charcoal and Black Sugar Facial Polishing Mask

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2014 3:52:00 AM More reviews by xoshayy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this product for my acne prone skin. Try using in the shower and it gives a warming effect. So worth the price!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/23/2014 7:03:00 PM More reviews by TracyNevins

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Well...The Jury is out on this product...but I couldn't wait to give it a review. Freeman makes an inexpensive product that usually is good quality, in my opinion, but I really didn't see or feel any noticeable change with this mask. I'll use it several more time and take the "wait and see" approach"...but so far..it really made no real difference. That could change with several uses, however. :) The Price is right, so I haven't lost much...that's the worst case. But I'm going to use the entire product and see how it goes. :0)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2014 11:21:00 PM More reviews by Jaynne

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This stuff looks really awful coming out of the tube (like animal you-know-what), the lid won't close all the way by the conventional means of flipping it closed, it falls off your face when trying to apply it, and goes on blotchy and uneven giving a Rambo-like camouflage look (which, I admit, is kind of fun).

So what's to love then? It's simply a fantastic product! And exactly what I was looking for. And a gem for under 5 bucks!!

I've been looking for a mask to replace the amazing exfoliating cream from Vichy (discontinued, so won't go into that), and my skin's been dry and blotchy and dull - and I've got everything needed in natural and high-end beauty counter skincare, but nothing was helping. I normally do natural oil massages, or pull out my Queen Helen Mint Julep or DHC scrubs, or sugar and oatmeal scrubs, aspirin masks, etc. but nothing was making my skin feel clean enough, was improving the redness or dealing with the dehydration.

I read the reviews for this scrub/mask because I had just tried a single-use pack of Freeman's Cucumber Peel Off Mask (and liked it too). I was so intrigued by what MUA'ers (and my age even) were saying about this product, so I got it today and just tried it.

WoW! This has made my skin cleaner, calmer, and softer than anything else in flipping months! I can tell that another two treatments and the bumps will be gone, and the congestion will clear. I can't wait to use it again - it's so unique.

My Tips for Use: Smooth, then pat the product on your skin to get best coverage; follow directions, then after doing the exfoliating part, touch the backs of your hands on your skin to get the product onto your hands and get an AMAZING hand reflexology and 1-minute manicure by massaging the scrub in. Rinse your hands under water, then wipe the product off your face with a warm cloth; rinse with warm water to remove the rest.

I'm going through a skincare transition and have a few different products I'm rotating through as I try to find how to newly care for my changing skin, so I followed up with a DHC Moisture Fruit Lotion (toner), my fresh homemade vitamin C serum (what a glow that produced after the scrub!), my Clarin's Hydra-quench Serum, and the rest of my Clarin's Vital-Light Night Cream sample (not a bad product).

I love it! My skin feels plump, and looks calm and *super* fresh and clean!

Thanks again to MUA'ers for sharing your stories and saving me $~)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/10/2014 9:38:00 PM More reviews by Izfinale

It's not a bad mask.
First of all I got this because my sister thought it smelled great. But she refused to try it with me :p
Anyways used it at least 3-4 times since purchase (2 months ago)
It does make my skin softer but almost all the masks I use do the same. And I get the same effect from moisturizing.
I thought it was kind of cool how it gives a slightly hot sensation when you first apply it on. Doesn't last long though.
I hate hate HATE how the sugar sticks onto the side of the cap and makes it hard to close it without banging it on the table.
Also it gets in my hair when I wash it own (my own clumsy fault)
It's okay to try. I won't repurchase however. I don't even think I will finish the bottle I have now.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2014 12:54:00 AM More reviews by iszeto

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This may make you a sugar addict?!

I love this mask. It's quite granular and so I go easy on the "scrubbing" part. I LOVE the scent... For a drugstore scrub, this mask has the best scent: not cheap smelling, not typical. The sugar crystals are effective as a scrub - my HANDS feel amazing smooth after using this product on my face!!!

I also use this on my feet for weekly pedicures. Overall great body skin polisher. Its true $5 love!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2014 8:48:00 PM More reviews by AngieGCarp

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I will never buy another scrub again....I am in love with this mask/scrub. It is delicate but powerful. It leaves my face so fresh. I was really surprised how impressed I was..as a dedicated user of apricot scrub I was prepared to not think this was exfoliating enough but IT IS..the price is right. It costs about 3.99 ( I got mine on drugstore.com) I highly recommend this for the over 30 crowd whose skin is starting to become more delicate. I also think that this might not be the best for sensitive skin because it does have a strong ( but good) fragrance. Lastly, this is an AWESOME lip scrub that you could use daily whereas the mask is to be used twice a week. Overall....A++++++

Happy Makeuping!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2014 4:02:00 PM More reviews by Rainstorm89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Such a fun product and for a great price! I will definitely buy again! I noticed some reviews here and on amazon had problems with the mask dripping off, but I found that if I applied the right amount this wasnt an issue at all and I was able to walk around the house without any problems.

It is gentle enough to use with my acne prone, sensitive, combination skin. My skin was smooth, polished and glowing after 1 use. I also noticed the next day that my acne seemed to have diminished and was much less red.

like with the strawberry chocolate mask, I did deduct a lipstick because there are some crap ingredients, but I still never have any acne flare ups when using freeman products.

I may try making my own version of this with activated charcoal and sugar, but the formulation is so great and the price is just right so I dont feel like I need to go create my own version to save money.

definitely give this a try! you can always get the single use packs if you arent so sure.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/16/2014 9:14:00 AM More reviews by effinxmandy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

When I first put this product on the texture surprised me - not unpleasant, just very grainy and once on your face it isnt as black as you'd imagine once seeing it come out of the tube. I left it on for 5 minutes and while my skin is very sensitive I had no problems with watery / stinging eyes as others had mentioned. I wasn't expecting much - I thought it'd be similar to other so-so sugar masks I've tried but after rinsing it off my skin felt ah-mazing. Soft, glowing, and clean. I use it everyday and I've noticed even my dark post acne scars are fading (finally) and my make up goes on much cleaner. Also the oily-ness my face produces by the masses has subsided slightly. Highly recommend - especially with the $3.99 price tag.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/14/2014 9:23:00 PM More reviews by shanti90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this on a whim and in the beginning of using this product, I found it to be a bit abrasive for my sensitive skin but over time, it worked will for my skin. I just used this once a week compared to the 2x a week instructions. And I heard it was a budget dupe for Lush's Dark Angel mask!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2014 10:04:00 AM More reviews by IheartCHA

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I came across a rave review of this stuff through Pinterest, and I decided to give it a go. I've always wanted to try out the Giovanni De-Tox facial care line, which is also made with activated charcoal, but it's way too expensive for my taste. Our Wal-Mart has packets of most of the Freeman masks for single use, so I picked up three.

I usually use a mask, mixed with clay and apple cider vinegar, and while it's great, it can be harsh for me at times. I'm also a huge fan of sugar scrubs, and make them often.

This is a -huge- win for me! I've never been so excited about a skin care product, ever! It's an all in one for me. While this can easily be DIYed, it's so cheap that I'll actually just buy it.
It's amazing as a scrub, and felt wonderful as a mask. It has a light, clean fragrance. I felt warming too, as others have stated.

I'm hoping it does great stuff for my acne prone skin, but not counting on it. I will update if anything changes!