October 20, 2014 | 863 users online

Loose Powders - NYX - HD Studio Finishing Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2013 8:32:00 PM More reviews by Johnna1123

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

No need to ever look for another powder again! I have never used a product that has istantly made my oily skin look and feel amazing. I bought 2 when Ulta had 40% off because of all the great reviews. Wish I had purchased more!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2013 10:02:00 PM More reviews by pmburk

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is very, very similar to MUFE HD powder. It is basically a pure white silica powder that works great for all day mattifying, setting your makeup, and helping to minimize and soften the appearance of lines. I've used MUFE, ELF HD, NARS' version, and the NYX version. NYX is around $15 and works just as well as the others. Wayne Goss has a great review of this on YouTube and says he thinks it is even more finely milled than MUFE HD. I apply my foundation, then use a kabuki to buff a small amount of this onto my skin to set my makeup, then top it with my regular powder. I live in Texas where summers are sheer misery, and this really helps to keep my makeup matte & fresh. A little pricey for drugstore, but this performs on par with MUFE & NARS. Highly recommend and I would repurchase.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2013 10:40:00 PM More reviews by EscalatorKid

I absolutely LOVE this powder.

I was looking for something to set my Kat Von D foundation onto my oily skin.

On a budget, and with a coupon, I bought this. It retails for $9.99 at Ulta, so I would expect to find it around that $10 price point. (As opposed to the $25+ price point of the premium brands.)

It is a very, very fine, white powder. It's very hard to sprinkle or get just a little bit of powder on a brush. The holes in the sifter are very, very large and numerous, which causes powder to be EVERYWHERE when you open the lid.

I usually try to tap a little bit onto the lid and dip the brush into that; otherwise, I get a brush FULL of powder, and I end up trying to tap it off, only to release giant clouds of powder when I do. The problem is tapping "a little bit" often leads to "a mountain" dumping into the lid. So, it requires a bit of effort and practice to get it right. If all else fails, you can just tap off the excess and brush off the excess on your face.

No matter what I end up doing, I end up with a lot more spillage on this than I'd like. However, at $10 a jar, I can afford to spill some.

I brush it onto my skin, leaving a light coat. I brush over my face to make sure that I don't have any spots that are thicker-coated than others.

Initially, it makes my skin look much more matte than I could achieve otherwise. I actually look like I have normal skin, as opposed to the oil slick I naturally have. It sucks up the oil, sets the foundation, and helps it last for longer periods of time.

I like that it is matte and not shimmery/glittery. I just want to suck up the oil and set the foundation; I don't want to shimmer at work like I would at a nightclub.

If you use too much or if you have darker skin, you will notice a whitish appearance. I haven't had that problem.

I have noticed that my brush has contaminated the jar with foundation color. There is a slight tint to the powder in some areas where the foundation has colored it.

I do find that I need to reapply after 6-8 hours, sometimes less. This is where I wish there was a pressed powder compact version of this. It isn't exactly portable stuff. It's too light and loose and tends to fly everywhere. If I want my clothes to look like I've gone on a cocaine binge in the restrooms, then this is GREAT to take out and touch up.

Really, the only problems that I have with this product are the fact that the packaging makes it prone to spillage and that it isn't easily portable for touch-ups. Everything else about it is GREAT.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/6/2013 1:00:00 PM More reviews by falconcutie364

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this product bc I was looking for something to set my makeup with that would do several things....
1. matte finish
2. oil control
3. not add color
4. not show up in photos

let me tell you that this does all of it. it stays on all day and doesn't give off a white cast in photos. it's a little bit more on the expensive side for nyx but worth the price. I have sensitive acne prone skin and this doesn't bother it all. I'm not giving it a five bc like other reviewers I have issues with the holes in the packaging. they are rather large so I end up having to sift it back into the jar to not get a lot on the brush (not a lot is needed on the application). the swirl, tap, and buff method on the lid seems to help to get rid of any excess though. I would definitly repurchase this. especially with the holidays coming up and the amount of photos that will be taken.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2013 8:35:00 PM More reviews by danielle616

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love this way more then my MUFE powder! It never leaves a white cast, doesn't usually make a mess, and keeps my makeup set! If you use too much, it does get a bit cakey but with a large powder brush and light hand, it looks wonderful! I mostly use it in my t zone and under my eyes.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2013 2:50:00 AM More reviews by nathalierae

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

The only other powder I have ever used was a loose powder by maybelline (one of the mineralized ones) which was an okay product. I recently switched to all cruelty free products so I immediately gravitated towards NYX. I have very sensitive skin, so it's difficult finding products that don't cause me to break out, dry my face out, or even cause my skin to become excessively oily. I always try finding products that are inexpensive, effective, made with natural ingredients, and doesn't add anymore coverage. This powder is 100% silica, completely translucent, controls oil, cruelty free, and no more than $10--everything I look for in a powder. Thank you nyx for making such a wonderful, affordable product! Compared to the powder I had been using before, this one feels so much more lightweight and fresh on my skin. It had a matte finish which I also love. It is so finely milled and sifted that a little goes a very long way. I have even seen an improvement in my skin after using this for about a week.

The only downside to this product that I have seen is the packaging. The holes inside the container are too big so most the product just sits on top of the sifter thing. It can get kind of messy. Also, it's so fluffy that it can create a cloud that kind of lingers and it's almost impossible not to inhale when you're applying it. However, I'm willing to overlook all the negative aspects of this product because the powder itself is quite impressive for the price.

If you have sensitive skin or oily skin try this product (:

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2013 3:55:00 PM More reviews by jskellis

I am oilier than Kuwait after the Persian Gulf War. My desperate and unrelenting search for an oil controlling finishing powder had, I thought, ended with Tarte Smooth Operator. Even at $28 I found its ability to control oil worth the price and have since dropped well over $100 on that.

NYX offers an awesome dupe in this powder. I find it controls oil just as well. The packaging is awful, but at just $10, it's totally worth it.

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2013 3:43:00 PM More reviews by vonnie123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

AMAZING. I have very oily skin (like I get shiny after only 30 minutes or an hour). This is the ONLY powder I've tried that keeps me matte for a good 6+ hours. It leaves my skin silky smooth & makes my skin look like SKIN which is new for me. The only con is the packaging but it IS a loose powder so it's going to be a little messier & you can't throw it in your bag to touch up. I've also noticed that if you don't blend your foundation or concealer well, the powder can emphasize this & leave your skin looking a little splotchy. Overall, I LOVE THIS powder because it's done miracles for my oily skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/15/2013 11:57:00 AM More reviews by Amelielydia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this but it does feel like I'm wasting so much of it because it 'puffs' and so much just goes everywhere. It does help to keep my makeup in place and stop it from separating around my nose though. (It also helps keep my eyebrows in place which sounds weird but I have no eyebrows and have to draw them on completely and really thickly) I'd be open to trying different powder as I don't think it's the most amazing thing in the world but it's definitely decent and good value for money.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2013 10:32:00 AM More reviews by Jenhaas504

The only other finishing powder I have owned is the Bare Escentuals one, and I find this comparable to that. It does give you a glowy and not shimmery look, really just finished your whole makeup looks an blends it all together to look seamless. Def will purchase this one again!