December 19, 2014 | 1249 users online

Loose Powders - NYX - HD Studio Finishing Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2013 9:53:00 AM More reviews by geekybabe91

I have no idea why no one is really talking about this in the YouTube world, but I love this product!! WIll continue to repurchase time and time again. Sets my makeup, gives me a wonderful, naturally matte look, yet does not cake up no matter how much I put on! Love love love. Price is cheap, product is amazing. My only con is that I wish there was more in a container... I go through this like water.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2013 11:38:00 AM More reviews by missladygirl

It has taken me 7 years to find a product that controls oil on my obnoxiously oily skin. And when I say "oily" I mean "within 30 minutes of applying foundation my forehead and nose are glistening." I have tried so many different primers, foundations, powders and skin care products - everything from high to low-end, and nothing has came close to controlling my oil like NYX HD powder. I can go 8-9 hours now before noticing a sheen of any kind which is a small miracle in my book.

Yes, the packaging is horrible. The sifter top has too many large holes and since the power is very fine, whenever you open the top, it flies everywhere. My solution was to only open 1 hole and keep the others taped off. I flip over the jar, give it a tap on the bottom then flip it back over and tap it on top. I have found that what remains on the top after opening the jar is plenty of powder to cover my entire face, while keeping the mess to a minimum. I apply this powder with either a fan brush or an EcoTools powder brush.

For $10 at Ulta, this is a steal and I will be repurchasing when I run out.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2013 9:38:00 AM More reviews by glamerous3059

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

FOR THE PRICE OF SETTING POWDERS ITS AWESOME. YES I LOV IT ITS VERY SHEER AND LIGHT SO BE CAREFULL OPENING IT. ITS GREAT SETTING POWDER, NO BREAKOUTS, NO SMELL.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2013 12:53:00 AM More reviews by KeIIsBells

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Another raving review. Surprise! This was the first drugstore setting powder that I've tried. I've always used high end setting powders. I was a little hesitant. I wasn't sure if this was going to dry me out (since I have drier skin). To my surprise, it didn't dry me out! In fact, my makeup stayed in place for 5+ while in college classes! Booya! The less makeup I have to reapply the better.

Best. Setting Powder. Ever.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2013 5:42:00 PM More reviews by MissLerina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Pros

- mattifies
- finely milled
- controls oil
- blurs imperfections
- little goes a long way

Cons

- leaves white cast in flash photography

Comments: HG powder for oily skin! This controls my oil so well and gives such a beautiful, flawless finish. It's so finely milled and a little goes a very long way. A light dusting with your favorite powder brush is all you need. Do not load this on! It also helps to keep my concealer from creasing in my fine lines.

Will repurchase.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2013 4:10:00 PM More reviews by zeniia

This powder is so amazing. It leaves your skin looking flawless. Will def rebuy.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2013 8:32:00 PM More reviews by Johnna1123

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

No need to ever look for another powder again! I have never used a product that has istantly made my oily skin look and feel amazing. I bought 2 when Ulta had 40% off because of all the great reviews. Wish I had purchased more!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2013 10:02:00 PM More reviews by pmburk

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is very, very similar to MUFE HD powder. It is basically a pure white silica powder that works great for all day mattifying, setting your makeup, and helping to minimize and soften the appearance of lines. I've used MUFE, ELF HD, NARS' version, and the NYX version. NYX is around $15 and works just as well as the others. Wayne Goss has a great review of this on YouTube and says he thinks it is even more finely milled than MUFE HD. I apply my foundation, then use a kabuki to buff a small amount of this onto my skin to set my makeup, then top it with my regular powder. I live in Texas where summers are sheer misery, and this really helps to keep my makeup matte & fresh. A little pricey for drugstore, but this performs on par with MUFE & NARS. Highly recommend and I would repurchase.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2013 10:40:00 PM More reviews by EscalatorKid

I absolutely LOVE this powder.

I was looking for something to set my Kat Von D foundation onto my oily skin.

On a budget, and with a coupon, I bought this. It retails for $9.99 at Ulta, so I would expect to find it around that $10 price point. (As opposed to the $25+ price point of the premium brands.)

It is a very, very fine, white powder. It's very hard to sprinkle or get just a little bit of powder on a brush. The holes in the sifter are very, very large and numerous, which causes powder to be EVERYWHERE when you open the lid.

I usually try to tap a little bit onto the lid and dip the brush into that; otherwise, I get a brush FULL of powder, and I end up trying to tap it off, only to release giant clouds of powder when I do. The problem is tapping "a little bit" often leads to "a mountain" dumping into the lid. So, it requires a bit of effort and practice to get it right. If all else fails, you can just tap off the excess and brush off the excess on your face.

No matter what I end up doing, I end up with a lot more spillage on this than I'd like. However, at $10 a jar, I can afford to spill some.

I brush it onto my skin, leaving a light coat. I brush over my face to make sure that I don't have any spots that are thicker-coated than others.

Initially, it makes my skin look much more matte than I could achieve otherwise. I actually look like I have normal skin, as opposed to the oil slick I naturally have. It sucks up the oil, sets the foundation, and helps it last for longer periods of time.

I like that it is matte and not shimmery/glittery. I just want to suck up the oil and set the foundation; I don't want to shimmer at work like I would at a nightclub.

If you use too much or if you have darker skin, you will notice a whitish appearance. I haven't had that problem.

I have noticed that my brush has contaminated the jar with foundation color. There is a slight tint to the powder in some areas where the foundation has colored it.

I do find that I need to reapply after 6-8 hours, sometimes less. This is where I wish there was a pressed powder compact version of this. It isn't exactly portable stuff. It's too light and loose and tends to fly everywhere. If I want my clothes to look like I've gone on a cocaine binge in the restrooms, then this is GREAT to take out and touch up.

Really, the only problems that I have with this product are the fact that the packaging makes it prone to spillage and that it isn't easily portable for touch-ups. Everything else about it is GREAT.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/6/2013 1:00:00 PM More reviews by falconcutie364

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this product bc I was looking for something to set my makeup with that would do several things....
1. matte finish
2. oil control
3. not add color
4. not show up in photos

let me tell you that this does all of it. it stays on all day and doesn't give off a white cast in photos. it's a little bit more on the expensive side for nyx but worth the price. I have sensitive acne prone skin and this doesn't bother it all. I'm not giving it a five bc like other reviewers I have issues with the holes in the packaging. they are rather large so I end up having to sift it back into the jar to not get a lot on the brush (not a lot is needed on the application). the swirl, tap, and buff method on the lid seems to help to get rid of any excess though. I would definitly repurchase this. especially with the holidays coming up and the amount of photos that will be taken.