July 30, 2014 | 2005 users online

Pressed Powders - Essence - All About Matt Fixing Compact Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2013 2:56:00 PM More reviews by Nat360

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Just what I needed. No Mica just straight mattyfying where I need it the most. I don't look like a glitter bomb and it sets my bb cream perfectly and holds it in place for the day. I'm a happy camper for now great makeup at reasonable prices thanks Essence.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2013 4:12:00 AM More reviews by Rebecca0407

love it! I use it everyday right at the end to set everything, doesn't matter what foundation I'm wearing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2013 4:27:00 AM More reviews by aspiecutie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

NICE little product.
If TALC and SILICA had a baby, this would be the one.) It is excellent at absorbing oil, while applying smoothly and adding a soft focus effect. These qualities are provided mainly by the first three ingredients.

The third one in the list is SAPHIRE powder. It is rather odd as a cosmetic ingredient. I've never seen it before, but when you think of it saphire is just fancy glass, silica is glass too, so it is safe to assume they function alike.
ALUMINUM starch octenylsuccinate also has absorption abilities but it is mainly used in cosmetics as an anticaking agent, a great ingredient to have in a powder both for ease of application and for adhesion to skin.
The main ingredient is TALC, an ingredient that as a male with oily skin I could never live without. I love talc and I think people should not avoid it based on mere rumors.

Back to the powder itself, I was glad to give it a try but eventually went back to my usual routine: sunscreen, marcelle loose powder, bronzer/blush, and ELF silica. I have complete control of how much of each I apply instead of using a 2in1 product. But this performed similarly and some people might find the pressed powder form more practical. I prefer loose powders as I apply only at home in the morning, and don't need to carry sifters around. A couple of blottings through the day are more than enough.

But this would be a great powder that combines superbly the qualities of talc and silica, while being truly translucent and usable by everyone. Those with oily skin should not be worried as this does not contain mica. The pressed powder form and slim compact make it ideal for frequent touch-ups, thought you might not need as many with this product.:) Contains 0.28oz/8.0g. Made in Poland.

NOTE: Canadians should also give the MARCELLE loose powder a try.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2013 3:59:00 AM More reviews by sultryvoice

A very inexpensive and fabulous buy! I have an ultra oily t-zone and have been desperate to find a pressed powder that would prevent shine for more than 30mins. I have a number of powder compacts, but none of them absorb the shine like I need. Well, I have finally found a matte powder that works! And, it disappears on my mocha complexion! Ladies of colour, fear not as this will not make you look ashy. Before I head out for the day, I will do my makeup routine and then finish with a dusting of All About Matt with my face brush. I do concentrate the powder a bit more on my nose and around my nose because that is where I get really shiny. Then I just carry my regular powder compact for touch ups and I am good to go! No more glaring shine! Now, I do believe that the aluminum in the powder is what does the absorbing (just like in anti-perspirant), but the amount is so little that I am not concerned about the possible health issues connected to it. Until I find a more natural powder that is just as reliable for oil absorption, this will be it.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2013 4:30:00 PM More reviews by tricyclesinskirts

I bought MAC's pressed version of "prep and prime" the week it was released. I like it a lot, and I actually completely finished it, which is a surprise for me.

I'd recommend this pressed powder instead of MAC p&p (especially on the go--I'm paranoid about pricy powders breaking in my bag). Thusly, I'm not big on loose powder (so messy!), nor am I a fan of overspending--this essence powder alleviates both concerns, at about an 1/8th of the price of the aforementioned MAC powder. However, the essence powder doesn't contain a mirror, and I wish it did. I personally am ok with carrying my own mirror. Or using a bathroom mirror, which I typically do anyway when I use powder.

I'm glad there's no applicator, cos they make packaging more cumbersome, product unnecessarily
expensive, and are never any count...generally useless garbage I end up tossing. No applicator, no mirror...I'm ok with that, given the quality of the product.

This product seems a bit like the loose silica powders that are popular (MUFE HD and the like,) so if you do well with those you'll love this for touch ups, I presume.

I apply with an ecotools retractable kabuki, and its undetectable on my NW20 skin, or I've used the Sonia kashuk "dupe" of MAC 187. I like Eco tools for the portability. The powder is undetectable, of course, if you don't count the lack of shine...and I most certainly do.

Highly recommended.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2013 10:41:00 PM More reviews by marshiemallow14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Bought this because it's cheap and essence is rumored to be really good for the price. Picked it up after a lot of searching at numerous stores. It's not perfect but helps a lot. Goes on translucent, probably not the best for darker skin tones as it may not be completely translucent in those cases. However, it works really well, and is dirt cheap.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2013 11:25:00 AM More reviews by CupCakeCat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm really impressed with this, makeup prices are very high where I come from and this was about $5, an absolute bargain. I would still buy this again even if it were more expensive. This does not go on white (although it might look pale on darker skins) and does not settle in lines and pores. It goes on well with all my different foundations (silicone/oil/water based).

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2013 9:02:00 PM More reviews by cpickard

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

OMG. So cheap, so good. $3.99 Canadian ... I went out to find this on the strength of reviews (plus, after getting spendy on bronzer and mascara and foundation I was feeling cheap ...) I'm so glad I went for this instead of a more expensive one!

Very fine powder, sheer coverage. It goes on translucent, not white, and is perfect for setting a sheer foundation without making it look heavy. It does add very slightly to the coverage and slightly reduces the dewiness (I use MAC face & body) BUT overall still leaves a natural impression. (For me, MAC face & body can be a bit TOO dewy, and it tends to wear off over the course of a work day, so this is a winning combination.) Blotting with paper later in the day for oil and moisture, I noticed no foundation was coming off, only the oil and moisture ... so this really worked to seal off my foundation.

I had to search a bit, apparently not all Shoppers Drug Marts carry them and this was tucked away on the very bottom of a free-standing rack of Essence cosmetics, hard to see.

SO worth the search. The packaging isn't elegant, but seems sturdy. You need your own brush ... but pre-packaged powder applicators usually aren't that great anyway, so no big deal.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/27/2013 7:23:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I owe yet another big "thank you" to MUAers because had I not stumbled across reviews for this product, I wouldn't have known it existed or I would have passed by Essence entirely and dismissed it as being a low quality line with nothing for me.

I've got many high end blotting and mattifying powders from Nars, MAC, Guerlain, etc. "All About Matt" is every bit as good as any of them (maybe even better) and for less than 4 bucks! How amazing is that? I don't find I get any white cast with this but I apply it just to my T-zone and use a Real Techniques buffing brush and get great results. What's amazing is how long the matte effect lasts, even in the crazy Southern Ontario weather, which has been blisteringly hot and humid this past week. I don't have to "powder my nose" for a good 6 hours or more. I'm going to buy another one of these so I have one at home and one in my purse. I am so impressed with this product - price AND performance - that I'm now going to try some of their eye shadows - the "quattros" and the single ones. For Canadians looking for Essence, it is available (exclusively, I think) at Shoppers Drug Mart.

UPDATE: SDM had their 20X the points event today (July 13) so I went and got 2 more of these - one for my daughter and one more for me so I can have one at home and one in my bag for touch-ups when I'm out. Simply an amazing product.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2013 5:08:00 PM More reviews by oubliette

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Nice product overall! I've previously used MAC blot powder in the past but have been searching for a cruelty-free replacement (now that MAC is doing animal testing to sell on the Chinese market).

Pros:
Cheap as chips!
Does a good job at mattifying without adding colour.
No animal testing.

Cons:
A little on the white side. Easy to overdo with darker skin tones.
Flimsy packaging. Hinge broke after a couple of weeks for me.
Lots of fallout. Slightly messy but I can deal with it.
No brush/sponge included.