April 17, 2014 | 1427 users online

Shampoo - Nizoral AD Shampoo

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2010 12:24:00 AM More reviews by rallu

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't have dandruff but I have oily scalp and back and sometimes I get little bumps. I bought it based on some reviews saying that it helps to regulate the oil, heal the bumps on back and scalp and that it helps with hair growth. It did absolutely nothing for me except drying my hair really bad.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/3/2010 11:28:00 PM More reviews by clea911991

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I got the 2% prescription strength from ebay to use on my scalp as well as face (I have a condition called pityrosporum folliculitis - acne-like symptoms due to overgrowth of yeast, you might have it if you notice a correlation between dandruff and acne, or if standard acne medications and antibiotics don't work for you). The first thing I noticed was how tiny the bottle was considering its price. It had better work! Unfortunately it only worked the first time I used it. I washed my hair with it and applied a thin layer on my face which I washed off after ten minutes. My dandruff went away and my face seemed a lot less bumpy and even less oily. However the results only lasted half the day. By nightfall my hair felt really greasy and my folliculitis was acting up again, not to mention the flakes returned. I tried it again the next day, but it only left my face tight and sore and this time REALLY damaged my hair. I normally have pretty strong hair but this turned my hair to straw. I'm now using Head&Shoulders classic clean with great results (both for my scalp and facial skin). I guess it's a hit or miss, a lot of people say nizoral works better but it just didn't do the trick for me. The only reason I'm giving it 3 stars is because I find that it works okay as a clarifying shampoo when mixed with several drops of tea tree oil. I still find it very harsh, so I only use it when Head&Shoulders seem to not be working as well (because the fungus on the scalp and face have grown resistant) which is about once a month. Then I go back to using Head&Shoulders.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2010 11:50:00 PM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Nizoral does work (the 2% strength from Canada MUCH better than the OTC 1% sold in the USA) but I hate using it. I hate the smell (though it's not horrid odor, I just don't like the smell) & I think it dries out my hair.

I also don't like the price, but I won't complain about that. :)
Not only would I buy it again but I've also already repurchased this several times.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2010 11:31:00 PM More reviews by illeyad

Finally a dandruff product that gets the job done!! I have tried 3 others: Head & Shoulders (which works if you just have regular flakes), Selsun Blue, and Dermarest. But none of them compare to the fast action of Nizoral.

When I first laid eyes on the plain packaging and high price tag, I was sceptical that this product would actually work. However, I had tried others that left much to be desired- they could never completely rid me of my terrible winter dandruff. I felt like a snow globe, when you shook me, my snow flakes flew everywhere. I chose this because it promised to defeat the bacteria in your scalp that causes dandruff in the first place. It was the only product that promised to go to the root of the cause, so I snatched up a small $10 bottle and went home. When I first opened it, it looks like a pink thick gel that stains the inside of the bottle from white to bright pink. I took a whiff of the concoction and smelt like medicine. It promised silky manageable hair, but I had my doubts. I just wanted the dandruff to go away!

I lathered it in, the instructions say to keep it on for a few minutes, i left it on for nearly 10. After rinsing it out, my scalp felt a little sensitive, but there was no burning or itching sensation. I blow dried my hair and brushed out. I had very few flakes. I was really impressed. I went out and I flaked a little bit, but nothing like before. I waited a few days and did a second treatment. The first time got rid of 80%, now it got rid of 95%. I had 2 or 3 flakes come down, and that was it. By the third treatment, I had nothing. My scalp felt clean, and my dandruff was gone.

One thing is for certain, it will not give you manageable hair, I needed my regular shampoo to get that. Thankfully the medical smell is easily masked by normal shampoo. Furthermore, it provided oil control, I was considerably less oily after using this product.

I definitely recommend it if you have bad dandruff as a weekly treatment to keep it at bay.
Happy SHopping!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/26/2009 1:48:00 AM More reviews by excelsa

After reading the good reviews I decided to try Nizoral since my hair is falling out due to seborrheic dermatitis (dandruff).

I have oily scalp (sometimes with itching but without flaking) and I figured this would work because of the antifungal properties of the ketoconazole.

I have been using it for almost 6 weeks and I donīt really notice any change in my scalp and it did not work for stopping hair loss.

I did not notice any irritation or dryness after using it it but doesn't do anything spectacular and it is a little bit expensive.

Maybe, it is only a good option if you have dry or flaky scalp.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2009 6:00:00 PM More reviews by Sereneness

I was cursed with pretty serious dandruff all my life - nothing I tried ever worked. Head and Shoulders, Selsun Blue and even rubbing my scalp with baking soda did not help. Then one night I was browsing through MUA and noticed the reviews on Nizoral. The reviews convinced me to give it a try, and I am very grateful to this community! After 3 uses (every other day), my dandruff and itchy scalp pretty much disappeared. I stopped using it and switched back to my Dove shampoo. When I see early signs of flaking again, I wash once with Nizoral and it generally does the trick.

To maximize effectiveness of Nizoral (or any anti-dandruff shampoo):
- Do not use it continuously (3 times a week MAX) or the scalp will build resistance to that shampoo and your dandruff will come back. If that happens, you could try rotating to another anti-dandruff shampoo.
- Leave it on the scalp for around 5-10 minutes (no more than that or it'll cause irritation) before rinsing to let it work into the skin.
-Do not rewash your scalp with another shampoo (even though it's a lil stinky ><) because the residue left over from the Nizoral shampoo will allow it to be more effective.

It doesn't have the greatest smell, and it does leave your hair somewhat dry. However, I find that following up with a conditioner helps with the dryness. I definitely recommend this product.

(Updated: 2/19/2010)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/6/2009 11:07:00 AM More reviews by RosieDee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have thick, dry hair that can't be washed more than once a week, but lately I had to wash it every three to four days at the minimum because of the itch and dandruff even right after washing. I used this shampoo once five days ago and I noticed the dandruff improved right away. There was NO dandruff or itching the first couple of days and at this five day mark I am noticing VERY little to no dandruff, and my scalp still feel fresh. I noticed that this shampoo mixes very well with my conditioner (Herbal Essences Hydralicious) and it left my hair nicely detangled. For people with thick hair like mine, its important to find shampoos and conditioners that mix well together chemically or detangling will be hard. Anyway, this seems to be working nicely.
UPDATE: the second time I used this it worked even MORE. I went two weeks without flakes and NO itch at all. This stuff has saved my hair. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2009 12:40:00 PM More reviews by Jenls27

I really am surprised this doesn't have 100% rating. A month or so ago I started getting these thick patches of flakes on my scalp and my hair started to come out at a much faster rate than normal. And I have really thin fine hair, losing as much hair as i was could be disastrous. I remember that by brother had used head and shoulders before and I detested the smell and had learned that it was super harsh for chemically treated hair so I didn't want to use it. Thanks to the reviews here for this stuff I went and bought the small bottle of 1%. I've used it 2 times. That's it, 2 x's, and my flakes and patches are gone! I wore a black sweater yesterday to test this out and I didn't get one single flake on it while I was out shopping. Today I'm going to go back to using my Nioxin shampoo I bought a few weeks ago hoping it would help. It didn't but I like it. I'll continue to use this one or two times a week as needed. BTW this shampoo doesn't stink like other dandruff shampoos. It actually smells kind of pretty. MUST use good conditioner afterward.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/29/2009 4:22:00 AM More reviews by Redsilas77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have really bad dry scalp that is flaky and patchy. I find that if I use Nizoral for about 2 weeks, it clears up enough so I can skip using the product for a while.

However, I have thick hair that only requires washing every two days, so using the product twice a week is easy for me. The product does smell, but this beats any other OTC dandruff shampoo - and I've tried them all!

This product is expensive in the UK, so I usually wait until I can get shipment in from the States.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/25/2009 12:01:00 PM More reviews by 70schick

Is your hair thinning due to genetics? This shampoo should be part of your arsenal! Not only is it fantastic at getting rid of an itchy, flaky scalp but it does a great job of washing away DHT. DHT is what attacks your follicles making your hair fall out (for those who inherited a propensity to be affected by DHT).

I have been using this shampoo for about a year. I added this to my regimen of propecia and minoxidal (10+ years). It has helped my hair thicken up. I use it once or twice a week, leaving it on for 5 minutes while occasionaly massaging it into my scalp. I try to concentrate it only on my scalp so it is not too drying on the rest of my hair. I shampoo with my usual Bumble and Bumble thickening shampoo and leave that on while I apply the Nizoral to my scalp. Works like a charm. I highly recommend it!

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No