July 23, 2014 | 1633 users online

Pressed Powders - NARS - Light Reflecting Pressed Setting Powder

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2013 10:53:00 AM More reviews by jjquan

I really love this product. It's replaced my Tarte Amazonian Setting powder. I have combo skin, with a VERY oily T-Zone and this mattes my face to perfection! I usually have to start blotting around 10am (I usually have my face on by 6:30am) and then every two hours or so after that, but after a week of using this product, I haven't had to blot until about 2 in the afternoon. I don't usually reapply this product after blotting, unless I'm going out after work. The one criticism that i have about this product is how hard it is to pick up the product on your brush. It's VERY hard. I almost felt like I was using my brush as a scraper to get the product on. It's very light and doesn't cause the common grey cast like other setting powders (I have light to medium skin tone).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2013 3:35:00 PM More reviews by scs2dd

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is an interesting powder that's grown on me since I first tried it. Used over foundation, it gives a beautiful satin sheen to the face with no tint-- like you didn't apply powder at all and just happen to have perfect, dewy skin. Unless you look extremely closely, the sparkling quality you may see in the pan or swatched on your finger transfers to the face. But because it has no added color, it doesn't help to cover blemishes or even out skin tone. The wear time is decent because I can go 4-5 hours before I feel like I need to reapply. No matter how often I brush it on, my dryish combo skin never feels chapped (unlike Tarte Smooth Operator)
The texture in the pan is pretty cool too; it feels and looks like a piece of white plastic. You'll need to remove this extra-hard top layer to reveal the usable powder beneath by swirling a kabuki brush over it or even rubbing with a paper towel-- you're done when you uncover a slightly more reflective, shimmery surface. Because this powder is so solid, there's no kick-up. The packaging is sleek, compact, and stays shut.
However, like any translucent powder, be extra careful around flash photography. You only need a small amout of this on your face to begin with (just a couple swirls of a brush. even if it's hard to see on the bristles, trust me, it's there) and blend more than you think you need to. If you do this then you'll be fine. I don't recommend this at all for use under the eyes as I've concluded it will reflect white no matter how well-blended. Overall, it looks flawless in daylight/in person and fine under a flash when used properly. I'm going to repurchase.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2013 11:53:00 AM More reviews by Happyfaced

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my first NARS purchase and also my HG pressed powder. I have been using MAC Prep & Prime Transparent finishing powder but wanted something portable that I could put take to work. The product itself has to be seen to be believed. It's an incredibly hard textured white powder, that looks and feels almost like a plastic shop dummy version of a product! When you rub a finger or sponge over it, no product seems to come off. However, it's just because the texture is so fine and light that it is pretty much invisible in any light. I use this all over my face, including round the eyes (instead of my at-home Laura Mercier's loose eye brightening powder) somehow it just makes my whole face look better, yet exactly the same, if that makes sense. You can't see colour, you can't see powder, you can't see glitter: just glowing, oil-free skin. It comes in a good sized black compact with a mirror and fairly big separate square puff, which washes clean easily as the powder is white. A black nylon travel pouch is provided with two separate sections: one for the compact and one for the puff. This keeps it all cleaner for longer. I have no idea how it works so well given how plastic it looks in the pan,, but it does. Definitely give it a try in store!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/26/2013 9:35:00 PM More reviews by EmilyyGrace

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm a little confused, and I feel like I must be doing something wrong. I ordered this off Sephora's website, due to all the amazing reviews.Uh. To the touch the powder feels like plastic, I literally had to rub my finger back and forth a bunch of times to check and see if there was still a covering over it. I swatched it on the back of my hand and there is visible shimmer in this, FOR SURE, 100%. It feels, amazing. The best powder I've personally ever felt. On my skin, it feels like silk and gives a blurred effect but um, who cares if you get pretty close to me and can see what looks like glitter/shimmer on my face. There is no mistaking it if you get close enough.
I'm not so worried about a night out, or even a work day. But for me, the ultimate accomplishment in makeup is to be in bright sunlight with a glowy complexion and I am actually terrified to wear this in the sun...which kind of defeats the purpose. Ugh. I'm so torn. $34 for a "work day" powder? :/

***Edit. Ok so I have changed my mind slightly about this. The shimmer, somehow, is not actually present in sunlight. Feels like silk on the skin, blurs nicely. Definitely feeling better about it, not regretting the purchase, still don't love enough to buy again but for someone with dry skin, powder is always going to be touchy.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2013 10:01:00 PM More reviews by sabrinalovesmakeup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a good product. Do I think that's Its worth the money.. Ehhh maybe. It's good for dry skin. But it does have some shimmer to it. I like it but I couldn't find justice buying it at 49 dollars.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2013 12:43:00 PM More reviews by Dentalgirl3

Makes skin look perfect. Amazing for acne prone skin as well. Use this!!! It also lasts for a year or so. Comes with a cute carrying case and applicator. I however use a stippling brush to set my makeup with this. You won't regret this purchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2013 8:42:00 PM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I LOVE the results I get with this setting powder. Because it was sold out at my Sephora store, I got the loose version first and wasn't thrilled with it because while it's nice, it is just way too messy and I didn't find it did a noticeably better job than my other loose setting powders - MAC Prep+Prime, MUFE HD and Tarte. Finally last week, Sephora got another shipment of the Nars Pressed Setting Powder and I was up there in a flash. I am so happy with this product. It is VERY hard-pressed. In fact, it is hard to tell that your brush has picked up any product but when you do buff your brush over your face, you see the results - a "soft-focus", perfected look. Keeps my face looking fresh and poreless from first thing to the end of my work day and then some! I use a Sephora mineral brush or the #55 Professional or my MAC 130 - all give great results. The package includes a large mirror, which is a very nice touch and there is also an applicator which I haven't used yet but which I guess I would use in a pinch. Great product.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2013 6:20:00 PM More reviews by wanilkaa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used Givenchy Prisme Libre Loose Powder Quarter Air Sensation for years and I really love it. But this powder is absolutely fantastic! And I mean it. I love everything about it. How amazingly naturally looks on skin, how wonderful glow my face, how my skin stay demi-matte (healthy) almost whole day (have very oily t-zone and it's really miracle for me not to have to powder my face again after eight hours), how buildable it is, how satin is my face when I use it. And the package, the pouchette...sooo lovely! It's really treasure, I'm so happy that I bought it. Thanks a million NARS, love you!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2013 10:06:00 AM More reviews by xtinahb

I already know I will hit pan on this amazing powder. Kett, MUFE HD, Laura Mercier, all now take a total backseat to the Pressed Nars setting powder. It is truly colorless on my light tan Asian NC30/C4 complexion. It truly keeps my skin satin/almost matte (but still healthy) for a solid 6 hours. There is no powderiness. I can layer and layer and buff and buff and I just get more and more surreal skin, but after a couple layers it definitely looks, well, surreal, so I tend to stop after a quick layer using a flat-top natural hair brush for my major planes and a smaller setting brush for around the nose, etc (I like a discontinued Lancome 'Cheekers' brush for the flat top brush and Nars Yachiyo around the curves of my face). If you buy be sure to have the MUA "ground" up the top layer of your powder. They can just use a big, flat kabuki style brush and scrape away the top film as they did at the Nars store for me here in NYC. You don't lose hardly any powder at all and it just makes the powder all ready to use! It's ah-may-zing. A+.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2013 10:33:00 AM More reviews by thecharm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I'm going to let you in on a little secret about NARS Light Reflecting pressed powder: It's silica. It's silica with a makeover. It's like Mia Thermopolis, although instead of trading bushy hair and glasses for sleek and contacted, it trades the messy dust and white cast for a super hard-pressed powder with subtle micas breaking up the whiteness. The good news is there's a reason people like silica-based powders: they control oil and they blur pores. So if you like silica-based powders, you will really like this. If you like silica but find the tendency loose silica powders have to fly up into your face annoying or want a pressed version for travel, you will really like this. If silica makes your skin react or feel tight... you're not going to like this. It may be prettier than normal silica but that is what it is, mostly, at its core. NARS LRP is hard and has virtually no dust. I apply it with a black natural-hair brush so I can see just what I'm picking up and putting down. If you look closely you can see shimmery micas in the powder, however, they do not show up on my face at all. The effect is a satin, dry but not entirely matte finish. I needed a pressed powder, and I like this one, but I'm not so sold on it that I would call it a HG.

29 out of 30 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No