October 24, 2014 | 1716 users online

Pressed Powders - NARS - Light Reflecting Pressed Setting Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2013 1:36:00 PM More reviews by mjenap

I am in love with this powder. I bought the pressed, not the loose, powder because I make a mess and didn't want to waste any of it. It travels perfectly. Most setting powders I've tried have highlighted any of my dry spots and this is the first one that hasn't. My skin looks beautiful and I definitely don't have nice skin. I wore it on a cruise and it made my makeup last for hours...into the wee hours of the morning in fact! And in all the pictures taken my skin looks great. It absolutely blurs all of your imperfections. I will never be without it.
When I bought it at Sephora, there was a Nars rep there and he told me to run my brush over the top a few times to break up the top layer. That will improve the texture immediately.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2013 10:19:00 AM More reviews by dddoxie

I've waivered so many times over the past several weeks about whether I really enjoy this product or not. I've come to the conclusion that I do! I bought it during a period of time where my skintype was very dry and I needed as much hydration/luminosity as possible. it worked great as a setting powder for my HG cream foundation from The All Natural Face and did not look oily or cakey. As the weather got warmer and I switched from using a cream foundation to a powder, my skin got a little oilier and I found that this powder caked up a bit. It didn't really cause me to look oily but the cakiness is what bothered me most. I stuck it out and kept using, just with a very light hand and I've come to realize that this really is a great finishing powder. It gives a diffused, soft look to my skin. Also works great to set undereye concealer.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/25/2013 7:49:00 PM More reviews by gerberdaisy2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've hit pan on this and I can honest say, I wouldn't buy it again. I mean, it does the job, but at $39 Canadian, it's a lot of money for it not to be blowing me away. When it's time to start looking for something to take its place, I may be changing my tune. But for now, I'll take a pass.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2013 10:10:00 AM More reviews by Clarabella3982

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have found my HG pressed powder...I can say this is the best for keeping oilies at bay...and I have used a ton of powders! Amazed to find my face non-oil tanker looking by the end of a busy workday....

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2013 8:44:00 PM More reviews by StephanieMaldonado

Nars translucent pressed powder, I was told by a Sephora representative that it was limited edition, I hope this is not true because I would feel incomplete with out it. It gives you the most beautiful, satin finish. Since I've began pairing this up with my Nars TM I've received nothing but compliments on my flawless skin. Is it pricey? Sure is but well worth it.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/14/2013 10:05:00 PM More reviews by Lynn2013

This is really best for dry skin as it does mattify but not much. It has a subtle glow that almost makes it seem as if it were not applied as it does not really mattify. If you really have oilies I would go with a more absorbant powder and forget the diffusing effect, though nice it is not really perceptible to anyone but you. The only thing is the package is crap and there is a layer of something on top, making you hit the pan early. Too expensive maybe, but totally worth it.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2013 10:53:00 AM More reviews by jjquan

I really love this product. It's replaced my Tarte Amazonian Setting powder. I have combo skin, with a VERY oily T-Zone and this mattes my face to perfection! I usually have to start blotting around 10am (I usually have my face on by 6:30am) and then every two hours or so after that, but after a week of using this product, I haven't had to blot until about 2 in the afternoon. I don't usually reapply this product after blotting, unless I'm going out after work. The one criticism that i have about this product is how hard it is to pick up the product on your brush. It's VERY hard. I almost felt like I was using my brush as a scraper to get the product on. It's very light and doesn't cause the common grey cast like other setting powders (I have light to medium skin tone).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2013 3:35:00 PM More reviews by scs2dd

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is an interesting powder that's grown on me since I first tried it. Used over foundation, it gives a beautiful satin sheen to the face with no tint-- like you didn't apply powder at all and just happen to have perfect, dewy skin. Unless you look extremely closely, the sparkling quality you may see in the pan or swatched on your finger transfers to the face. But because it has no added color, it doesn't help to cover blemishes or even out skin tone. The wear time is decent because I can go 4-5 hours before I feel like I need to reapply. No matter how often I brush it on, my dryish combo skin never feels chapped (unlike Tarte Smooth Operator)
The texture in the pan is pretty cool too; it feels and looks like a piece of white plastic. You'll need to remove this extra-hard top layer to reveal the usable powder beneath by swirling a kabuki brush over it or even rubbing with a paper towel-- you're done when you uncover a slightly more reflective, shimmery surface. Because this powder is so solid, there's no kick-up. The packaging is sleek, compact, and stays shut.
However, like any translucent powder, be extra careful around flash photography. You only need a small amout of this on your face to begin with (just a couple swirls of a brush. even if it's hard to see on the bristles, trust me, it's there) and blend more than you think you need to. If you do this then you'll be fine. I don't recommend this at all for use under the eyes as I've concluded it will reflect white no matter how well-blended. Overall, it looks flawless in daylight/in person and fine under a flash when used properly. I'm going to repurchase.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2013 11:53:00 AM More reviews by Happyfaced

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my first NARS purchase and also my HG pressed powder. I have been using MAC Prep & Prime Transparent finishing powder but wanted something portable that I could put take to work. The product itself has to be seen to be believed. It's an incredibly hard textured white powder, that looks and feels almost like a plastic shop dummy version of a product! When you rub a finger or sponge over it, no product seems to come off. However, it's just because the texture is so fine and light that it is pretty much invisible in any light. I use this all over my face, including round the eyes (instead of my at-home Laura Mercier's loose eye brightening powder) somehow it just makes my whole face look better, yet exactly the same, if that makes sense. You can't see colour, you can't see powder, you can't see glitter: just glowing, oil-free skin. It comes in a good sized black compact with a mirror and fairly big separate square puff, which washes clean easily as the powder is white. A black nylon travel pouch is provided with two separate sections: one for the compact and one for the puff. This keeps it all cleaner for longer. I have no idea how it works so well given how plastic it looks in the pan,, but it does. Definitely give it a try in store!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/26/2013 9:35:00 PM More reviews by EmilyyGrace

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm a little confused, and I feel like I must be doing something wrong. I ordered this off Sephora's website, due to all the amazing reviews.Uh. To the touch the powder feels like plastic, I literally had to rub my finger back and forth a bunch of times to check and see if there was still a covering over it. I swatched it on the back of my hand and there is visible shimmer in this, FOR SURE, 100%. It feels, amazing. The best powder I've personally ever felt. On my skin, it feels like silk and gives a blurred effect but um, who cares if you get pretty close to me and can see what looks like glitter/shimmer on my face. There is no mistaking it if you get close enough.
I'm not so worried about a night out, or even a work day. But for me, the ultimate accomplishment in makeup is to be in bright sunlight with a glowy complexion and I am actually terrified to wear this in the sun...which kind of defeats the purpose. Ugh. I'm so torn. $34 for a "work day" powder? :/

***Edit. Ok so I have changed my mind slightly about this. The shimmer, somehow, is not actually present in sunlight. Feels like silk on the skin, blurs nicely. Definitely feeling better about it, not regretting the purchase, still don't love enough to buy again but for someone with dry skin, powder is always going to be touchy.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No