October 20, 2014 | 2055 users online

Loose Powders - NARS - Light Reflecting Setting Powder

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2013 2:39:00 PM More reviews by firefox23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a review for the pressed version/compact.

Let me begin by saying, I LOVE this powder. I have oily skin so a setting powder/compact is pretty much a necessity in my everyday makeup routine. Previously I had been using Urban Decay DeSlick powder, which is much more 'powdery' and white, and if you aren't careful you can wind up with bits of white powder all over.

This setting powder has a slighttttttt shimmer to it when you look in the pan, which made me a bit nervous at first because I'm a matte person (oily skin with shimmer isn't a good look). This slight shimmer doesn't translate to your skin at all when you apply it, in fact, It's undetectable when used over your makeup - it just adds this beautiful finish to your skin. I want to say 'glowy' but I'm not sure if thats the right description. Basically, it's not a powdery & stark matte finish and I just think it looks amazing on the skin. Even when I got a bit oily (after 7hrs of wear) it wasn't the typical oiliness I expect from my skin. Sometimes when I use other setting powders, they build a kind of weird mask on the skin after a few applications, after mixing with your skins oils. This powder, does not do that!

It comes in a nice compact which is the size of NARS brozers, except it's in a nice fabric pouch with a little compartment for the sponge (which I assume would be good if you took this out in your purse, but I use a brush to apply it at home). Overall I'm kind of obsessed. It's so finely milled and pressed into the pan, it seems like a little goes a long way so I hope this lasts me a while! Not cheep, but the great quality you expect from all NARS products!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2013 7:49:00 PM More reviews by 2010

This product doesn't produce miracles and I've used cheaper products and gotten the same results. It does create a nice look but it's not nice enough that I would repurchase for $40 CAD.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2013 7:03:00 PM More reviews by Rebecca34

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have the loose version of this and I really like it! I brush a little of this on over my foundation and it makes my skin look really nicely finished but still natural. You only need a little and too much actually just looks powdery. I'm not sure if this really helps my make-up last longer but I more use jut to make it look better. It gives whatever foundation I'm wearing a nice finish.

I feel like the container will last me a long time too since you only need a little at a time.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2013 10:51:00 AM More reviews by scareyj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I really like this! I have the pressed version and it diffuses my pores quite well. I even use a lil bit under my eyes over concealer. When using, it seems like no product gets picked up, but it's there. I think it works really well on my aging skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2013 6:05:00 AM More reviews by bubblegumpoo

This product is life-changing. Revolutionary. To me, at least, a newbie to translucent powder.For reference, I am NC20 with combo-oily skin. Here is why I absolutely adore this product.

First, it's not *bad* to carry around. I say this cautiously, but I've had a pretty good exeprience so far. I know a lot of people don't like the loose because it gets everywhere but if you only cut off the sticker for one hole rather than rip the whole thing off, you'll be fine. The SA recommended I cut about 3 if I was intent on carrying it around for travel. I went with my instincts and cut one. With one hole, it doesn't get too messy and disperses the perfect amount of product.

Also, I find that this product holds up so well during the day, so there really is no need to carry it around. No need for touch-ups most of the time. This stuff is also fab for setting undereye concealer. I have definitely noticed my undereye concealers creasing less after I began setting it seperately with this powder.

Third reason I love this product is that it doesn't give that over-powdered cakey looking face. I hate how the powders I used in the past made me look like I had piled on a bunch of make-up. This powder just gives a semi-matte finish without the over-powdered look.

Fourth and final reason is the flawless finish. I find that because the finish of this powder gives a kind of blurred, photoshopped effect, I wear less foundation/concealer. My favorite way to use this product is with my MAC prolongwear concealer. I dab a bit of my concealer on my problem areas and powder my entire face, and my face looks more flawless than when I wear a ton of foundation. Plus, it's a very natural, realistic finish. I have tried the MUFE HD powder but felt the finish was a bit unrealistic and heavy in comparison.

On a final note, I'd definitely recommend the loose over the pressed. The pressed version didn't give me as flawless of a finish as the loose did. The SA said the ingredients for the two are actually completely different, and they are basically two entirely different products.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2013 2:37:00 PM More reviews by iLoveYoutwo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

AMAZING TRANSLUCENT POWDER!!! I have a flawed face that needs cover up and foundations and concealers don't always cover 100%. but with this powder on top, I look PHOTOSHOPPED, it gives that doll like finish which I love. I wore this when I bought it and people commented on how nice my skin was, they couldnt tell i had powder on. :) In photos it gives off that soft focused, blurred, photoshopped skin.

I have acne prone skin, and this just perfects pores, and redness. Love it!!! NC20, asian girl.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2013 8:39:00 PM More reviews by MoMo25

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I like this loose powder but I don't need it in my life. It's no miracle product. It simply functions like any other HD powder. Enough said :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2013 1:16:00 PM More reviews by misanders

I love this powder!! I have dry skin and it is very hard to find powders that don't suck all the moisture from your face. This doesn't do that. I can set my makeup with this and it looks beautiful. Even on hot days when I've gotten a little shiny in the afternoon I can touch up with this and it doesn't cake up. It makes my makeup look just as good as it did in the am.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/6/2013 9:58:00 PM More reviews by yulsgules

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was really excited when I bought this because the reviews here were so good but this product is just really mediocre for the price and for what it claims to do. I've used it for the past few weeks and it makes me look paler, takes away from the finish of the foundation, has shimmer in it which I don't think a setting powder should have, and does not make my foundation last that much longer--compared to MUFE HD, it makes my forehead oily halfway through the day, and not in a "dewey" way. It does blur fine lines just a little bit on my forehead, but that's pretty much the only positive and I don't think that's worth $34. If you have the cash to splurge on it, go ahead, but it's not a product that I feel I'd reach for every single day. I'll stick to my deluxe sample of MUFE HD which was free and will last me a really, really long time.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2013 10:24:00 PM More reviews by BassKitten808

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this powder. It's hands down my HG setting powder and I've tried many different ones. I used to actually dread powdering my face after foundation because I found it always took away the beautiful finish my foundation gave me and instead left me looking indefinitely powdered but I had to powder for my makeup to stay on so not powdering was not an option.. now I actually like powdering my face, with this it enhances the look of my foundation. This also works amazing to set under eye concealer, concealer will not crease at all. Please, try this!
TEXTURE:
super, incredibly finely milled. Finer than any setting powder I've ever tried. It's very light and you can't feel it on the skin. It feels so soft and smooth on the skin, like baby skin.
FINISH:
Beautiful not powdery at all. The least powdery looking setting powder. Trust me, I have a heavy hand with powder (I just like my makeup really set) and it never looks powdery, flat, or dull. It also never gives me a white cast in real life or photos. It has very very fine micro shimmers that aren't really noticeable on the skin, it just gives a diffused effect and looks more natural instead of powdered. It's completely translucent and blends seamlessly into my skin (I'm an NC35-NC40). It blurs lines and pores nicely. My skin will never be flawless but it looks a lot closer with this powder.
WEAR POWER:
Amazing. The best part is that's its not drying at all, I used this when my skin was extremely dehydrated and dry from irritation and this didn't dry me out even more. Yet now that my skin is combination (I have a very oily nose and cheeks) it still combats oil just as well as Tarte Micronized Clay powder, but this doesn't dry out your skin like the Tarte which in turn causes your skin to get more oily so technically this does a better job at oil control then the Tarte. My makeup lasts so long with this yet feels comfortable and my makeup looks really great for 14+ hours and when it does start to get oily its only slightly and doesn't look too bad.
BEST APPLICATION METHOD:
Flat top powder brush like the elf studio brush or with a powder puff and gently pressed into the skin after foundation has completely set.

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No