August 21, 2014 | 947 users online

BB Cream - Olay - Fresh Effects in Light/Medium

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2013 2:27:00 AM More reviews by PiMehMeh

This BB cream is certainly of a Western flavor in terms of what it offers, in comparison to traditional Asian BB creams. Most people who are familiar with Asian BB creams feel that Western BB creams are strikingly no different than tinted moisturizers. Olay's BB cream is essentially that (it even says it on the packaging), but it's one of the lightest and sheerest base makeup I've ever tried (including already sheer tinted moisturizers). I expected it to be so, because Olay is more of a skincare brand than a makeup brand, so I wasn't actually disappointed at all.

Olay Fresh Effects BB feels much like Maybelline's Dream Fresh BB cream as far as its lightweight, fluid texture and blendability, but it's so sheer the pigment just seems to vanish on the skin, much like any ordinary face lotion, except it doesn't leave a white cast that some face products with SPF or white-colored formulas might especially in photography. Those who need coverage will either need to look elsewhere or use a concealer with this product.

But on its own, it leaves a fresh, modestly dewy and very natural finish, evens out minor redness, provides broad spectrum SPF15 backed by a pretty impressive list of 4 different 2.5%–4% active ingredients (unlike Maybelline's BB's 1% sun protection ingredient), and provides enough moisture for normal and combo skin types. Dry skin types might want to supplement this with another moisturizer prior, and sensitive skin types might want to avoid this because it does contain a very noticeable fragrance, if they have allergic reactions. Very oily skin types may want to avoid this because of its dewy finish.

I decided that this BB cream wasn't for me because I have acne scars and dark spots/circles that I need to conceal, and I have used other BB creams, tinted moisturizers, and foundations that provide all of the above as well as coverage. But this product isn't a total loss; my little sister, age 18 with combo-dry, sensitive and acneic skin, happened to really love this because it's lightweight and doesn't make her look made-up, and provides sun protection and moisture all in one.

If sun protection, and moisture are what you're looking for and you don't mind the sheer, minimal coverage (or just need something to even out redness), this is a good product to try. For those of us who just need a primer especially for powder/mineral makeup, this might actually be a great product to layer on; I used to use Victoria's Secret VS PRO Airbrush FX Face Primer SPF20 under mineral makeup, but if I were to continue using mineral makeup, I would switch to Olay's BB as a primer as it has more to offer and comes in a large volume for the price. It's a little expensive considering little coverage, at $12 to $15, but it's the largest tube of BB cream I've seen so far at 2.5oz (75ml) against 60ml from some Korean-brand BBs and even the typical 1oz (30ml) primer in the Western market, so it might be a considerably good value for the other benefits it has to offer and if used to substitute parts of an existing skin care and beauty regimen.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/10/2013 10:40:00 PM More reviews by lauramb122

I was excited about this BB cream! I bought it in the shade fair/light at Walmart for I think $12.99. I love Olay's products! But this BB cream was by far the worst one I have tried and I have tried quite a bit! First off, it has hardly any coverage at all, like you need about three layers of this to get decent coverage, it gets patchy after a while, and also oxidizes! The things I do like about this is the smell, the texture, and the packaging but that's about it!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2013 4:14:00 PM More reviews by honu66

I have tried many Korean BB creams and several US BB creams for my hyperpigmented skin
and I have to say I was sorely disappointed in this cream. It offered hardly any coverage. The ingredients look very promising, but it just spread out too thin on my face and I wondered if I was getting any sun protection, because I was getting very little coverage. It also made whatever I put on top of it fragment. In several hours, I was patchy. The feeling was very
loose and almost greasy on my skin and I didn't like that at all. My makeup didn't either because it tried to run off my face too! I just felt like I wanted to wash it off as soon as I put it on. I am sadly disappointed in the contents of this cream and I will not repurchase. I only like the very common squeeze tube it comes in.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/31/2013 11:46:00 AM More reviews by goaheadlily

I really wanted this product to blow me away but I am sorry to say I was very disappointed. I use the Olay classic face cream and it feels great so I figured I'd give this a shot. One thing I loved about it was the scent, so after my dislike of the product I gave it another try. It is pretty oily and doesn't exactly feel light on my face. The days following the couple of times I have used it I ended up breaking out. It is a little pricey so I'm sorry I wasted the money on it, I wont be buying it again.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/21/2013 9:36:00 PM More reviews by StupidCupid4

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have never bought a BB Cream/Tinted moisturizer, so I got this product on a whim after hearing all the hype about "BB". I've been using this product for about 2 weeks now.

My skin is oily and acne-prone. I noticed at first that small bumps were appearing on my forehead, where I haven't had acne since I was I teenager. Then again, my skin isn't used to a daily moisturizer so I decided to take this experience with a grain of salt.

I do enjoy the moisturizing effects, the fresh smell, and minimal coverage. I've been trying to use less foundation and cover-up now that I'm in my mid-twenties... and really take care of it.

Since my skin is super oily, I do need to apply a powder afterwards (wouldn't leave the house otherwise!) I do like its moisturizing effects and its easy blending. However, for my acne-prone skin, I'm not sure I'd buy it again. I'd do more research. It's a mediocre product in my eyes.

I've always trusted Olay, and when I saw they were releasing a line targeted towards a "younger crowd", I was excited. I don't regret buying the product -- I'd just prefer that it was more of an apply-and-go rather than needing a powder afterwards... and a few hours later. If I don't wash it off at night, I wake up with a few minor whiteheads; which are manageable but still a bit of pain. I'll continue to use this BB Cream until it runs out, but in the future I'll be looking for one geared more towards oily/acne-prone skin like mine.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/16/2013 2:07:00 PM More reviews by missmaggie

Just to clear the record I did some minor research on this before I bought it so I knew what to expect when I got it but I did buy it because I also heard it smells amazing! And if something smells good, no matter how crappy it is Im the type of person who'll buy it. Ive had this for about 5 days now and sometimes I wanna take it back and return it but I love the smell so Ive been toying around with making it work, its no good on its own, no coverage, I set it with physicians formula BB powder it was ok but I swear my skin looked like an orange peel finally I found something that worked I applied primer (khroma) than I applied a light layer of this and then i mixed it with some foundation (UD Naked) and set with Macs mineralize powder and it came out nice, mostly matte so yay for me I found a method that makes it work BUT I am worried about this particular product as I find it to be quite the chemical cocktail for the face for what it minimally is capable of its packed with a TON of ingredients. At the time I got this I was dealing with some major break outs and when I started using this they've been minimizing (drying out?) so thats one advantage but at the same time this tells me how drying this is so if you have this, use this by all means keep it away from your eye area!!!!! the hunt for a good drug store BB cream continues.....

rated 2 of 5 on 4/14/2013 12:29:00 PM More reviews by GlamSam89

Smells amazing!! I used it for two days! And I woke up with the worst breakout of my liiiiifee. Super depressing! I would think this product is better for people wit dry skin (?) it's really oily. I'm so disappointed that it's not for me. Pro is that it smells nice. Con - super oily - made me breakout and my pretty good skin look sooooo bad! :(

rated 4 of 5 on 3/19/2013 4:14:00 PM More reviews by gfoxvb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I just got this product the other day and have used it twice. My first reaction to this was that I loved it so much. But that was on a good skin day. It does blur SMALL imperfections, but not so much the bigger ones. I do have to set this, but I have oily skin. It does have a very strong scent, but I personally think it smells good. Compared to the Maybelline BB cream I would say this is great.
Pros
-Blurs small imperfections
-Evens skin tone
-feels nice and light on skin
-SPF 15
-does a pretty good job on my undereye circles(they are horrible)
Cons
-Doesn't blur bigger imperfections

Again I think it smells nice, but some people hate scented things.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/12/2013 2:08:00 PM More reviews by klryn1

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Meh... I bought this at Walmart to try my luck w/a US BB cream. It didn't break me out, and the scent doesn't bother me. I just feel like it didn't do anything for my skin. There is no coverage and even though I have dry patches it makes my skin olily. I should say that the only other BB I have used is the Skin 79 Gold for a BB cream. I LOVE how it makes my skin look and feel. Like many of the other reviewers I think there is a difference from the BB's in the US and the ones from overseas. I'm going to finish off this but would not repurchase. Will stay w/Skin 79.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/1/2013 8:42:00 PM More reviews by KimikoTaicho

I've been using this product for about two weeks now, though I only use it when I know I'm going to be in the sun. I started up an entirely new skin care regime and I now go without most of my makeup (the heavy foundation, the heavy powder, eyeshadow, eyeliner, and mascara) and only wear a translucent powder and some mascara. Maybe. I thought this would be a good thing to use to get a little coverage and some protection from the sun at the same time.

I like this product -- for the first few hours wearing it. After that, I feel a bit dirty and oily. It still feels better than all the makeup I'm used to wearing, but I hate it when my face feels dirty.

In all, I will use this product, but I might not buy it again. I want to try other things as well until I find something my skin really loves.