October 25, 2014 | 1577 users online

Styling Products - Got 2 Be - Smoothed Over Straightening Balm [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2003 6:40:00 AM More reviews by alicecrybaby

I have been using this on and off for two years probably. And it did an OK job,though nothing miraculous. I used to like it and its creamy texture until I tried Phyto Defrisant. Unlike shoehoard,I have been converted to Phyto from this. But I still keep a bottle stashed away in case I run out of the pricey Phyto or just feel like using it. Because it is creamy, it does not spread out too evenly. Will probably rebuy.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2003 10:25:00 PM More reviews by shoehoard

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Great product!!! No matter how much I put in my hair, it feels silky-smooth! I've been using Phyto Defrissant straightening balm since 1995 and this stuff blows Phyto away! And it's available at Walmart for under $5.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/30/2003 12:24:00 AM More reviews by curlymarie223

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This product did a great job of helping to straighten my spiral-curly hair. It doesn't do the work on its own, but helps my hairdryer and round brush do a more effective job. I generally use a flat-iron after blow-drying, but I probably could skip it after blow-drying with this product. I don't straighten my hair very often, but when I need to, this is what I reach for.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2003 1:59:00 AM More reviews by 3blindmice

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I never would have given this another thought if I had not read these reviews on mua first. I've been using this for months and I love it. It smells nice, does not dry crunchy or hard and does not make my hair sticky. It makes my hair less prone to puffiness and makes it smoother and sleeker. What I do is apply this, let my hair air dry for a bit, then dry it quickly with a blow dryer and if I want it really straight I flat iron. It will not magically straighten curly hair, but it's a great protectant for those of us who need some sort of product to combat blow dryer and flat iron damage. A big thank you to all who wrote reviews about this, it really helped me discover a great product. I believe I paid 3.50$ for it at Wal-Mart. Fabulous.
    EDIT: After cruelly ripping this from market shelves about a year ago, it's been re-released in new packaging, and under a slightly different name. It's now in an orange tube with a magenta flip top cap rather than the purple pump bottle. It's still called Smoothed Over, only it's part of the "crazy sleek" series of products. The scent has changed a bit, it's now more orange than candy-ish, and the cream seems a bit thinner, but that could be because there is no longer a pump dispenser. I literally almost cried when I found out this product was discontinued. I'm so happy it was re-released. (26/10/09)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/25/2003 12:56:00 AM More reviews by dolcevita927

Have been using for 2 wks and love this light product. I'm trying to grow out my wavy medium coarse Asian shoulder length hair that has been layered. Since I haven't had a haircut in 3 months, my ends are getting unruly & stick out (drives me nuts), and I bought this balm based on reviews here. It really helps smooth out my hair. I pump out about 1 inch, rub it between my palms before applying it on damp hair. If I let my hair dry naturally, there's still a slight wave, but if I air dry most of it, then follow with a quick blowdry with a round brush, then I get nice straight hair with some body. If I want it completely straight, I would still need to use an iron, so for me, it would by no means replace a straightening iron. But it a nice product to use when you want to spare your hair from the damaging heat of an iron.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2003 12:48:00 PM More reviews by frezgirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

wow. absolutely excellent. $4.88CA at Walmart. This stuff straightens beautifully. it smells good and eliminates frizz. your hair lasts for a couple of days too. It leaves your hair silkynd stick straight. It also moisturized. I am so impressed because it beats the $17 straightening balm i was using.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2003 1:02:00 AM More reviews by anooshka

I like this stuff a lot. I recently bought a flat iron to straighten my very thick, curly, frizzy, below-the-shoulder length hair and have been allowing my hair to air dry and then just ironing flat...so i bought this and figured i would blow dry with a brush but just so it's dry and then flat iron it to get it really straight and smooth. Well, this made ironing practically unnecessary. It allowed me to straighten much, MUCH faster than it usually takes me to blow dry with a round brush and then it was very very smooth, not weighted down, and shiny. So, I just half-heartedly ran the iron through my hair for like two minutes...it's still good to iron if you are going for the really flat look, but i like my hair with a little body even when it's smooth and straight.
    I love this stuff. Will buy again. For sure.
    I am glad that this site encouraged me to buy/try this.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2003 6:42:00 PM More reviews by geriannie1227

I don't know what it is - but I love this stuff. Smells great, makes my hair super soft, and controls frizz. Good stuff.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2003 9:20:00 AM More reviews by encee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Ab fab scent.. texture is creamy, yet on application, wasn't greasy at all. i had a freakish perm, n longed for my once-straight tresses. so i applied this after ironing my hair with flat thongs.. itz like, my hair hadnt been permed at all!! itz long lasting too. only downside is the pump, which can get 'swallowed' inwards at times. but product is worth the price

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2003 4:48:00 PM More reviews by cheryhouse

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I LOVE U, i have found my holy grail! This is my favorite hair balm, it doesn't really help straighten it but it smells heavenly!...like peaches and sumthing else..and its not greasy and it doesn't weigh my hair down. I just wish it came with more product...its fairly cheap..about 5-6$s cnd so im pretty happy with this