Brown Sugar Scrub

Brown sugar

on 8/8/2009 8:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

this has saved my skin! PLEASE READ IF YOU HAVE ACNE. I've always had really good skin until about 8 monthes ago when i started getting pimples all over my forehead, temples, and around my nose. Also, my nose became covered in blackheads and my skin was very oily. I figured that my basic cleanser and moisturizer would no longer work anymore so I went into attack mode i would overwhelm my face with masks, scrubs, and toners. I would put everthing and anything on my face that i might think get rid of the pimples. I would break out really bad randomly in the month and it would stay that way for about two weeks and some of the pimples stayed there for MONTHS! I would usually have about a week where my skin was healing and then less than a week were my skin was good/decent. In June, my doctor gave some free samples of epiduo but they dried out my skin so bad and made my acne even worse. I couldn't even put makeup on because my whole face was literally coming off ! I tried out several different acne treatment samples from my dermatologist such as duac, tazorac(sp?), and aczone but i could never really tell if they were working. Then one day in mid July i just decided to stop with all these products. I went back to my clean and clear foaming face wash for sensitive skin and started using raw sugar mixed with some cleanser and water and spread it over my face with an electric toothbrush. I had a couple of medium sized pimples that started to bleed but after doing this two nights they healed! I continued to do this and before i knew it my skin was not only clear but it was glowing and so incredibly soft and smooth. My skin was flawless except for a couple of really tiny red bumps around my nose and some mild red acne scarring on my forehead(i never even picked!). I was so happy until about a week later i notice some very small pick marks on my forehead that weren't there before. I immediately stopped with the sugar scrubs and electric toothbrush and my skin stayed clear for about a week until I got one good sized pimple in the middle of my forehead (why god?) and a couple medium sized ones around my nose that looked underground. I wanted to get rid of them but i was scared that i would be left with a crater face so i applied some glycolic acid 10% cream to them and once they were smaller i mixed some brown sugar(which is smaller and less jagged than raw sugar) with extra virgin olive oil and OMG why didnt I do this sooner?! Now I do this every night after cleansing and I massage it on my face and make sure to get all the creases(those sides of the nose!) and my face is absolutely FLAWLESS. I dont even have any little bumpies on the corners of my nose! This is so cheap and effective and you know exactly what you're putting on your skin. Using this with a gentle cleanser and the glycolic cream has made my skin so perfect and now I can go outside with no makeup and feel really good about myself.I never would have guessed that just by exfoliating and cutting down on all the harsh products would have been the answer to my battle with acne. I know this review is long but I just wanted to share my story with acne and how this brown sugar and EVOO scrub cured my it!

on 5/20/2009 5:35:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I was disillusioned with the cost of facial exfoliants (even at the supermarket) and decided to go through the pantry instead. I mixed some brown sugar in a plastic container with a bit of foaming cleanser, mashed it up a bit, and scrubbed my face.

Better than any "pre-made" exfoliant I've found, for sure. Considering $NZ3 of brown sugar would last you... uhm... six months or so... that's pretty frugal. And you don't need much cleanser either (alternatively you could use olive oil to mix with it).

I've found is it's useful to do the following:
-Use a gentle facecloth to remove it from your face
-Don't press too hard when scrubbing
-If you have combination T zone like me you will benefit from cleansing your T zone separately afterwards. I like to use Trilogy balancing gel cleanser for this.

PROS:
Dirt cheap
Can be used on face and body
Completely natural
Washes away cleanly
Non-toxic

CONS:
...?

One of my favorite at multi-use products! I use this with different ingredient depending on my mood/skincare needs. I will mix it with a splash of lemon juice for my face.Or mix it with ground oatmeal,cocoa powder and milk for a lovely exfoliationing mask. If my body needs some extra exfoliating I will mix it with olive oil and coffee grinds.

on 1/27/2009 3:32:00 AM

Best scrub I have ever used! I add about a tablespoon to my creamy Mario Badescu Cleansing Gel (face wash). I mix in the brown sugar into about a nickle sized amount of face wash in my hand right before I use it. It polishes and exfoliates my skin beautifully. You cannot over exfoliate because the brown sugar melts into the face wash. I am left with beautiful, smooth, radiant skin.
I would not use white sugar on the delicate face, neck, or chest skin because the granules are larger and sharp. I would save that kind of sugar for other thicker areas of the skin on the body.

One day, my head was itching and flaking like CRAZY, and I couldn't take it anymore. I asked the lovely hair board for help, and two lovely MUA'ers rec'd me a brown sugar scrub for my scalp! Just take any cheap conditioner (cheap ones are thinner and sulfate free) and mix it in with some brown sugar and massage your scalp with it. Rinse well. Afterwards, my scalp felt so soothed, and my hair is nice and shiny, no more flakes anymore! I love it! I'm going to try brown sugar for my face and body next. : ) What a handy little household item!

Ever since trying to move towards natural products, I have officially ditched St. Ives scrub for this little gem. Dirt cheap and all natural! No chemicals that I can't even pronounce, and just a little brown sugar mixed with extra virgin olive oil makes my face baby soft. I want to try other combinations next time, such as honey + sugar, milk + sugar, etc. The possibilities are endless!

-excellent for sensitive skin
-gentle exfoliating
-good prevention for acne

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Really liked this. I used the brown sugar with chamomile tea and it really made it glowy and soft. I have really oily skin, so I wouldn't use this all the time. I use baking soda mixed with Noxema instead, as it helps dissolve the oils and deeply exfoliate. Someone with dry skin can go for this.

on 6/29/2008 7:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

Best scrub I've ever used: with different-size grains for different body parts and their varying needs. This is one of the few scrubs I've ever used successfully (very thin, delicate, sensitive, redhead skin) - ex. pimply upper arms - and the cheapest by far. The other favourite that I would consider buying is a Clarins one... about a million times the price, for similar results.

I've had good results with various sorts of household brown sugar (muscovado-type; demerara is too big a grain) as well as standard caster sugar (used on face, and fine on body too). I either mix this with my regular cleanser, or with body oil: mineral and/or sunflower here, as this skin is happy with them and gets upset by "heavier" oils.

Can be kept in an elegant container in the shower, then mixed in; or you can mix up a quantity, scent it with favourite unguents and so on. I just leave it in its container and mix it in, as not mixing scents - my skin works best with simpler stuff, tends to react at the drop of a hat, avoiding many fragranced products. continued >>

on 6/9/2008 10:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I've read seventeen religiously for the past couple of years,so when I saw a recipe for this in the magazine I knew I had to try it.I have oily skin,so my pores clog up pretty fast.Everytime I use this scrub my skin always glows after I use it.This scrub is truly amazing.I'd reccomend to make this scrub very thick,otherwise it'll be harder to go on.

This scrub also is good for your body,as well as your face.I use a bit of this every morning,it makes your makeup go on much easier.

**edit**
This also is a good lip exfoliant.Just put a little on your lips and rub them together..Or you could just use your fingers.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products