July 24, 2014 | 1023 users online

Body Scrubs - brown sugar scrub

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2009 3:32:00 AM More reviews by hags101

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Best scrub I have ever used! I add about a tablespoon to my creamy Mario Badescu Cleansing Gel (face wash). I mix in the brown sugar into about a nickle sized amount of face wash in my hand right before I use it. It polishes and exfoliates my skin beautifully. You cannot over exfoliate because the brown sugar melts into the face wash. I am left with beautiful, smooth, radiant skin.
I would not use white sugar on the delicate face, neck, or chest skin because the granules are larger and sharp. I would save that kind of sugar for other thicker areas of the skin on the body.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2008 12:35:00 PM More reviews by ChenchillaxChop

One day, my head was itching and flaking like CRAZY, and I couldn't take it anymore. I asked the lovely hair board for help, and two lovely MUA'ers rec'd me a brown sugar scrub for my scalp! Just take any cheap conditioner (cheap ones are thinner and sulfate free) and mix it in with some brown sugar and massage your scalp with it. Rinse well. Afterwards, my scalp felt so soothed, and my hair is nice and shiny, no more flakes anymore! I love it! I'm going to try brown sugar for my face and body next. : ) What a handy little household item!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/3/2008 1:55:00 PM More reviews by shopaholicbeb

Ever since trying to move towards natural products, I have officially ditched St. Ives scrub for this little gem. Dirt cheap and all natural! No chemicals that I can't even pronounce, and just a little brown sugar mixed with extra virgin olive oil makes my face baby soft. I want to try other combinations next time, such as honey + sugar, milk + sugar, etc. The possibilities are endless!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2008 8:55:00 PM More reviews by superficialbeauty

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

-excellent for sensitive skin
-gentle exfoliating
-good prevention for acne

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2008 11:15:00 PM More reviews by urbandecaychick

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Really liked this. I used the brown sugar with chamomile tea and it really made it glowy and soft. I have really oily skin, so I wouldn't use this all the time. I use baking soda mixed with Noxema instead, as it helps dissolve the oils and deeply exfoliate. Someone with dry skin can go for this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2008 7:48:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Best scrub I've ever used: with different-size grains for different body parts and their varying needs. This is one of the few scrubs I've ever used successfully (very thin, delicate, sensitive, redhead skin) - ex. pimply upper arms - and the cheapest by far. The other favourite that I would consider buying is a Clarins one... about a million times the price, for similar results.

I've had good results with various sorts of household brown sugar (muscovado-type; demerara is too big a grain) as well as standard caster sugar (used on face, and fine on body too). I either mix this with my regular cleanser, or with body oil: mineral and/or sunflower here, as this skin is happy with them and gets upset by "heavier" oils.

Can be kept in an elegant container in the shower, then mixed in; or you can mix up a quantity, scent it with favourite unguents and so on. I just leave it in its container and mix it in, as not mixing scents - my skin works best with simpler stuff, tends to react at the drop of a hat, avoiding many fragranced products. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2008 10:15:00 PM More reviews by namissaas224

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I've read seventeen religiously for the past couple of years,so when I saw a recipe for this in the magazine I knew I had to try it.I have oily skin,so my pores clog up pretty fast.Everytime I use this scrub my skin always glows after I use it.This scrub is truly amazing.I'd reccomend to make this scrub very thick,otherwise it'll be harder to go on.

This scrub also is good for your body,as well as your face.I use a bit of this every morning,it makes your makeup go on much easier.

**edit**
This also is a good lip exfoliant.Just put a little on your lips and rub them together..Or you could just use your fingers.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2008 5:20:00 PM More reviews by barbiedollcurves

I hate when brown sugar looses air and it becomes stiff and hard to mix. but regardless, this is the best scrub I've tried. I'm a dedicated reader of seventeen and always knew to exfloiate before putting on any makeup. its a rule to start with a fresh canvas. I love the sugar scrub with milk! it moisturizes and makes your skin so soft! I love it. I add a tonnn of sugar to make the consistancy less watery. works like a charm for body and face.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2008 5:03:00 PM More reviews by cedarchristie

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I would not have thought of this if I hadn't read all the favourable reviews on plain old sugar scrubs. I had laser work done around my eyes and mouth years ago and it left my skin very slightly paler than the rest of my pale face. I have skin that freckles easily and some red around my nose area. In other words, uneven skin color. My skin is also sensitive but has never been acne prone.

I have tried every exfoliator known to woman, with varying degrees of success, to even out skin tone and it takes a lot for a product to really, really WOW me. But here's what did the trick at last:

Adding a small amount of ordinary brown sugar (I use it in my coffee instead of white sugar so always have it on hand) to Pond's cold cream with a spritz of pure water, mixing in the palm of my hand and gently rubbing over my face. In less than a week ALL of my facial skin was the same shade and the red around my nose is less noticeable and I use just a small bit of concealer. My skin is soft and luminous. This is like a miracle!

I would like to add that I have used Pond's cold cream for years to remove makeup. Cold cream is the best for going down deep and unclogging all the dirt in pores and lifting off makeup. However, and this is vital in my opinion, You have to cleanse your face with usual cleanser and water afterwards. COLD CREAM RESIDUE SHOULD NOT BE LEFT ON THE FACE (she screamed). I use unscented baby wipes with Aloe and warm water.

Thanks to all of you who put me on to this treatment - just wish I had all the dough back that I spent on expensive scrubs over the years!

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/5/2008 7:34:00 PM More reviews by mklimt

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Pros: Great smell, not too rough for my skin and didn't leave any residue behind. Cons: makes me break out every single time I use it. This isn't for me, too bad.