Brown Sugar Scrub

Brown sugar

on 5/20/2009 5:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I was disillusioned with the cost of facial exfoliants (even at the supermarket) and decided to go through the pantry instead. I mixed some brown sugar in a plastic container with a bit of foaming cleanser, mashed it up a bit, and scrubbed my face.

Better than any "pre-made" exfoliant I've found, for sure. Considering $NZ3 of brown sugar would last you... uhm... six months or so... that's pretty frugal. And you don't need much cleanser either (alternatively you could use olive oil to mix with it).

I've found is it's useful to do the following:
-Use a gentle facecloth to remove it from your face
-Don't press too hard when scrubbing
-If you have combination T zone like me you will benefit from cleansing your T zone separately afterwards. I like to use Trilogy balancing gel cleanser for this.

PROS:
Dirt cheap
Can be used on face and body
Completely natural
Washes away cleanly
Non-toxic

CONS:
...?

One of my favorite at multi-use products! I use this with different ingredient depending on my mood/skincare needs. I will mix it with a splash of lemon juice for my face.Or mix it with ground oatmeal,cocoa powder and milk for a lovely exfoliationing mask. If my body needs some extra exfoliating I will mix it with olive oil and coffee grinds.

on 1/27/2009 3:32:00 AM

Best scrub I have ever used! I add about a tablespoon to my creamy Mario Badescu Cleansing Gel (face wash). I mix in the brown sugar into about a nickle sized amount of face wash in my hand right before I use it. It polishes and exfoliates my skin beautifully. You cannot over exfoliate because the brown sugar melts into the face wash. I am left with beautiful, smooth, radiant skin.
I would not use white sugar on the delicate face, neck, or chest skin because the granules are larger and sharp. I would save that kind of sugar for other thicker areas of the skin on the body.

One day, my head was itching and flaking like CRAZY, and I couldn't take it anymore. I asked the lovely hair board for help, and two lovely MUA'ers rec'd me a brown sugar scrub for my scalp! Just take any cheap conditioner (cheap ones are thinner and sulfate free) and mix it in with some brown sugar and massage your scalp with it. Rinse well. Afterwards, my scalp felt so soothed, and my hair is nice and shiny, no more flakes anymore! I love it! I'm going to try brown sugar for my face and body next. : ) What a handy little household item!

Ever since trying to move towards natural products, I have officially ditched St. Ives scrub for this little gem. Dirt cheap and all natural! No chemicals that I can't even pronounce, and just a little brown sugar mixed with extra virgin olive oil makes my face baby soft. I want to try other combinations next time, such as honey + sugar, milk + sugar, etc. The possibilities are endless!

-excellent for sensitive skin
-gentle exfoliating
-good prevention for acne

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Really liked this. I used the brown sugar with chamomile tea and it really made it glowy and soft. I have really oily skin, so I wouldn't use this all the time. I use baking soda mixed with Noxema instead, as it helps dissolve the oils and deeply exfoliate. Someone with dry skin can go for this.

on 6/29/2008 7:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

Best scrub I've ever used: with different-size grains for different body parts and their varying needs. This is one of the few scrubs I've ever used successfully (very thin, delicate, sensitive, redhead skin) - ex. pimply upper arms - and the cheapest by far. The other favourite that I would consider buying is a Clarins one... about a million times the price, for similar results.

I've had good results with various sorts of household brown sugar (muscovado-type; demerara is too big a grain) as well as standard caster sugar (used on face, and fine on body too). I either mix this with my regular cleanser, or with body oil: mineral and/or sunflower here, as this skin is happy with them and gets upset by "heavier" oils.

Can be kept in an elegant container in the shower, then mixed in; or you can mix up a quantity, scent it with favourite unguents and so on. I just leave it in its container and mix it in, as not mixing scents - my skin works best with simpler stuff, tends to react at the drop of a hat, avoiding many fragranced products. continued >>

on 6/9/2008 10:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I've read seventeen religiously for the past couple of years,so when I saw a recipe for this in the magazine I knew I had to try it.I have oily skin,so my pores clog up pretty fast.Everytime I use this scrub my skin always glows after I use it.This scrub is truly amazing.I'd reccomend to make this scrub very thick,otherwise it'll be harder to go on.

This scrub also is good for your body,as well as your face.I use a bit of this every morning,it makes your makeup go on much easier.

**edit**
This also is a good lip exfoliant.Just put a little on your lips and rub them together..Or you could just use your fingers.

I hate when brown sugar looses air and it becomes stiff and hard to mix. but regardless, this is the best scrub I've tried. I'm a dedicated reader of seventeen and always knew to exfloiate before putting on any makeup. its a rule to start with a fresh canvas. I love the sugar scrub with milk! it moisturizes and makes your skin so soft! I love it. I add a tonnn of sugar to make the consistancy less watery. works like a charm for body and face.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products