MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural - Light Plus

4.3

on 2/29/2012 2:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

I was not a fan of this product. I was looking for something that could be used as a light foundation on the days when my skin actually looks good and could use as a finishing powder on full foundation days. My biggest gripe is that it makes me oily. My skin was oily, then I used accutane and now my skin is just plain weird-super dry in the winter and mildly oily in the summer. My usual powder is the ELF HD powder and I never have oily issues with it. With this one, at first it looks slightly powder, then looks good for a little bit, then within about 1-2 hrs I look super oily. My other problem is it oxidizes and turns orange/dark on my skin. I have been tempted to try the "light" color but I don't think I should as I have the oily problem with this. Sad. I wanted it to work. I've held onto this powder way too long trying to get it to work!

on 2/14/2012 3:48:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I have rosacea and somewhat dry skin. I've been searching for a good pressed powder that will give me some coverage, set my foundation, and give me an overall better look when i'm not wearing foundation, while not looking cakey or powdery or settling into facial lines.
I am very happy with this powder. It looks relatively natural and doesn't make me look like a mummy, as some powders, even so-called translucent ones, have. Light Plus is a good match for my skin tone, which is between NC 15 and NC 20, and is neutral leaning slightly to golden. When i'm just wearing moisturizer, i brush this over the apples of my cheeks, my chin, and the sides of my jaw to tone down shine and redness, using a fluffy Kashuk Tools brush (the ones with the black contoured handles) - i think i'm actually using her blush brush (but, then, i use a fluffy angled eye shadow brush to apply blush on my cheek bones).
Will i never try another face powder? Sure, i will. But for now i'm very happy with both the feel of this powder, its finish, and its color.

I love my MAC mineralize skinfinish. I'm so fickle when it comes to products, always looking for the next best thing but I alway come back to this.
I apply it with a big fluffy brush or a duo fibre brush over Chanel vita luminere aqua or avon liquid foundation and find it sets the foundation well and doesn't look cakey or dry out. It suits my fair skin tone really well, some powders make me look too pale where as others make me look orange even if they look pale in the compact.
I find MAC foundations cause me to break out but this is fine on my very tempermental skin. I pay around 15 for this and it lasts me ages, i think I may have bought 2 in 3years so its good value for money.
I think MAC products inspire a love/hate response and I do think some are over rated but this is a firm favourite of mine and its hard to imagine my make up box without it!

on 2/10/2012 2:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

ok, i am a 50 yo woman with fairly decent combo skin and some rosacea. i have been on a mega-quest for the perfect "your face but better" powder for my NC20 skin. the old mineralize skinfinish natural was far too orange for me, but this is perfect! it melts into my skin with no glitter and no itchies. covers redness beautifully but doesn't mask.

i have literally spent thousands of dollars over the last few months trying (and re-trying) various mineral powders. bare escentuals is too glittery or too matte, plus colors don't match. can't get jane iredale to match me. no luck with clinique or any of the other mineral lines. i feel as though now i can relax for a bit, b/c this is working for me!

i will update if i notice any adverse effects like pimples or greasiness. so far it has been perfect for my skin. thanks, MAC!

on 1/21/2012 5:53:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I'm loving this. It matches my ~NC20 skin perfectly. My skin is combo, leaning more towards dry, so I like that this gives a satin, almost dewy finish. It looks great on its own, which is really nice for those days when I'm looking for a quick fix to even everything out. Coverage is light to medium, but very buildable. It works well for me as a setting powder too, buffed in with a kabuki brush, it really blends all of your makeup together nicely. I like to lightly dust MUFE's HD powder on top of that, and my makeup looks picture perfect all day.

I'm not a very oily person, so I'm not sure how well it would work for someone with that skin type.

I've been using it for a few weeks now, and it hasn't broken me out. I will repurchase.

on 1/9/2012 7:00:00 PM

I love this powder! Perfect match for my skin and does not make me look heavily made up. No breakouts or blemishes associated with it.

on 1/9/2012 4:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I was on the search for a good pressed powder that would give me some coverage, set my foundation, and just give me that all over 'better' look to my foundation while not looking cakey or powdery. I really thought that I found my HG powder. It looked amazing! Soooo natural yet flawless. It really looked like I had no powder on my face. On top of that, light plus was a perfect match for my nc20 skintone and didn't oxidize throughout the day. But the reason I WILL NEVER USE THIS AGAIN: it gave me little bumps ALL OVER MY FACE. Not painful cystic acne or anything like that, but skin-colored bumps everywhere. :( It just really made my skin look bad w/o mu. My skin is more important to me then makeup so I will not be repurchasing this.

on 1/5/2012 9:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Overall, I love this product. It gives me a matte yet dewy finish and looks very very natural. It is the perfect powder that I have been looking for. It is the very first powder that doesn't make me look cakey (and I tried it with some foundations that usually look cakey when set with powder).
The only downside to this is though, that it is a little bit too light for me. It is winter, so I can wear it, but it makes me look a little pale and sick. This is the reason I said, that I would not repurchase it. I am still rating 5 stars, because it is not the product's fault that the MAC lady matched me wrong. (Due to the lightning in that shop, it really looked like a good match, though). I should've gotten this in Medium. (I tried tried to return it, but they won't take it back. I've only used it once, still have the original packaging and the reciept not very customer friendly..)

on 9/25/2011 11:48:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

It's strange that Light Plus hasn't been reviewed yet. Oh well. I really love this product for setting my makeup or as a sheer foundation in the summer. The colour suits my fair, cool complexion very well. If you are looking to use this as a medium cover foundation, then you will be disappointed. I will definitely repurchase this again.