Shiseido Perfect Foundation Brush

4.5

on 2/17/2013 9:56:00 PM

How amazing this brush is - transfer my low-medium coverage foundation to flawless full coverage foundation - well almost!

used Amarni and Stila and Dior foundation before -nothing compares to this one!

on 2/13/2013 10:03:00 PM

Where should I even begin? It is AWESOME! Not only it applies my foundations beautifully, it doubles as a concealer brush because it's so small. I now have two of these, one for blending out highlight and one for the contour shade (i use cream concealers). I also love the size--it's so compact that it's perfect to travel with. One little complaint is that since the hair is so dense, it takes a long time to dry after washing. But then again, the dense hair is what makes it so great!

on 2/10/2013 8:13:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I saw Daisynation, a youtube "guru" use this brush and praise it to the heavens for applying foundation and so I just had to check it out. I was surprised to learn that in Canada, it's actually not "that" expensive. Because Shopper's Drug Mart had their "bonus points redemption", I got this with my points so it was actually "free" though I think the retail price is $38 CDN, which really is not all that bad for a great quality brush.

Now, I have a lot of foundation brushes and applicators that I REALLY like - Sephora's #55 Professional, 3 different (and all excellent) Real Techniques brushes, a MAC 130, as well as the original Beauty Blender sponge and the Avon version. All of these are excellent tools for applying foundation but I have to say that when I used this Shiseido brush yesterday, I was blown away by how beautifully it applied my Clarins Skin Illusion foundation. I have redness and broken capillaries on the tip of my nose and they are very hard to cover effectively, even with concealer but this brush did the trick and gave my whole face an absolutely flawless, velvety look. No shedding, no streaking - just perfection!

The brush almost like an angled kabuki - it's dense and, as some have mentioned, small, but I find the small size to be a plus as it means I can get into all the areas of my face (under eyes, around nose) with ease and precision. This brush also has quite a short, stubby handle and for someone shortsighted, as I am, this is an added bonus as I'm not constantly banging the handle on my mirror as I get up close to apply product.

There is a reason this brush as such a high rating. It is among the very best brushes I've ever used.

UPDATE: Oct. 30/2013: I just got another one of these brushes in a special value gift bag when I bought Shiseido Sheer and Perfect foundation and I am so happy to have 2 of these now so I have one to use whilst the other one is drying. Honestly, as much as I love my Real Techniques brushes (and they are an amazing value) and some of the pricey brushes I have from MAC and Sephora, nothing tops this brush for me. When I really need to count on my foundation looking perfect, THIS brush is what I rely on.

on 1/14/2013 7:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Update: It's a great brush, but too small for the whole face. I use it for around the nose and smaller areas. I'm using Marc Jacobs Sculpting Foundation Brush No. 2 now.

When I saw this brush for the first time I thought there must have been some kind of mistake made in my order. This thing is so small. A little stubby, more suitable for travel. Regardless of its size, it does a terrific job.

No shedding and it performs a admirably at applying certain types of foundations. I say this because I have a couple of whipped type foundations that don't work well with this brush. I use a sponge for those. I'll say this, I've got a lot foundation brushes/applicators including: Bobbi Brown, Giorgio Armani, Mac, Smashbox, Sigma, Laura Mercier, Beauty Blender, Koh Gen Do, & MFU, and this one is my favorite so far.

Only thing I'm wondering about is why it's so small. I did notice that the size does give me some advantage in applying around my nose.

on 1/14/2013 4:46:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

What a difference this baby makes! Much better coverage from the same (powder) foundation, much better blending and a much more natural look, even with the greater coverage. It's smaller than my other foundation brushes, which means it's easier to work the corners with, it makes me take greater care and have greater attention to detail, and it feels kind of luxurious to be that careful about my foundation rather than just whipping it on and done.

Also, I've never been able to escape flakiness and clumping around my eyebrows and in the corners of my nose when applying foundation, powder, mousse or liquid, but this does the trick. And it's so soft and nice and lovely on the skin.

Love it, WELL worth the investment, if you have the room in your budget.

on 1/9/2013 6:48:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Oh my god! This foundation brush is absolutely AMAZING! No matter how bad you are at applying foundation, this brush seems to fix that by distributing the product evenly throughout the skin on all surfaces.

I thoroughly recommend this brush to makeup fanatics. It may be expensive but the price is SO worth it!

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Let me start off by saying I have been a die-hard user of the MAC 190 brush (later on Chanel, but still the same type of brush) for 10 years, and I never thought I would find anything better. I own the MAC 187 also, but I don't really like it for foundation as its too big and I feel applies foundation too sheer for my liking. I was eyeing this brush for months and finally caved in and bought it. BEST FOUNDATION BRUSH EVER! I use it with my MAC Studio Tech, and it gives the most flawless finish. Very good coverage. I actually feel like I use less foundation with this brush. Blends way better than my old foundation brush, so I actually spend LESS time on my foundation with this. I would definitely recommend this brush to anyone looking for a good foundation brush. I believe it was only $30, which IMO is a good price considering my Chanel one was over $40.

on 12/26/2012 11:08:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

My daughter gifted to me after she discovered how 'perfect' it was for foundation. I alternate this with the Mac 130 and I love them both. I think this takes more work to use though than the 130 but the results are great. Mine never sheds, and looks great after multiple washes. Takes overnight to dry, but so worth it. The price is reasonable too considering what it does.

on 11/29/2012 11:39:00 PM

This is one of the best foundation brushes that I have tried ever!
Now, be prepared to practice and gain the technique. This is not you overall brush. It is a very special and professional brush crafted to apply foundation through light dots and sweeps. I would recommend asking a Shiseido consultant how to use it before purchasing.
The basic idea is pumping your foundation in the back of your hand, getting a little product in the brush and start applying in the cheekbone area with light dotting pressure. Work your way down half way through the cheek. Then, sweep the extra product outwards. Repeat in chin and forehead. Remember to sweep afterwards and apply a little more where needed.

Once you master the technique it is a great brush. Remember to use a smooth, non-waterproof foundation.

Get a good brush cleaner too!

on 11/28/2012 2:39:00 AM

amazing! best makeup brush i have used. feels really soft. i have only used it with liquid foundation. easy to clean with soap and water. would definitely recommend!

Video Reviews & Tutorials