April 19, 2014 | 1687 users online

Mascara - New York Color - Sky Rise Lengthening Mascara

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2012 2:46:00 AM More reviews by tamedDOLL

This is such an upgrade from NYC's former lengthening mascara in the little grey tube. The old formula smudged and flaked, but this one doesn't. While this isn't 'Sky Rise', it still defines my lashes and darken them. I really like the brush. Its a good size to apply mascara. However it really isn't a lengthening mascara, despite the claims. It just does a very basic cheap mascara would do. My lashes aren't the shortest of short, but they only appear 3/4 of their actual length because I have single eyelids, and my lashes rolls in a bit. This mascara helps to bring them back out, with minimal clumping. This mascara would also be perfect for those who already have nice lashes, and just want to enhance them without looking dramatic or too long. However, I still find this to smudge a bit, or else I would have gave this mascara a 3. The price is amazing though!:). So overall, not bad.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/15/2012 3:29:00 PM More reviews by Gossijay

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm on the fence about this mascara. It's not bad and it's not good. After seeing the fantastic reviews on Make Up Alley I was extremely excited to buy this mascara.
This mascara is cheap, so I wasn't squeamish about buying it. If I didn't like the mascara it wasn't going to be like a huge loss. I only paid $2 CDN for it.
The packaging is actually very nice. The packaging is sleek, slim and thin. It's sophisticated and understated a nice change from the other ridiculously shaped and brightly coloured mascaras out there on the market.
The brush scared me because of how thin it was. I like big brushes like Rimmel London's Extra Wow Lash Brush, and the Sky Rise brush was the exact opposite of that. Though it actually combs through my lashes neatly.
The formula is dry, which was a plus in my book as I hate runny formulas.
What I like about this mascara is the fact that it does darken my lashes, lengthens them and seperates them in a lovely way. Of course because this is a lengthening mascara, it doesn't do too much in the way of giving me volume so I just top it with a volumizing mascara to give me that extra oompf.
I like this mascara because it does what it promises and lengthens my lashes.
Though I will not be repurchasing as I have a wandering eye and love to try new products.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/15/2012 3:25:00 PM More reviews by Enkida

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

General information about my eyes: warm-toned darker skin with inwardly-folded semi-mono asian eyelids.

First of all, my lashes are pretty long, and I have black hair, so I don't find myself needing to use mascara all that often. As a casual user, I am completely satisfied with this mascara, especially at the price. I suspect it won't really satisfy someone who uses mascara daily, however, and was really looking to lengthen their eyelashes significantly.

The best part about this product is the price. The black is, for what I can tell on black lashes, opaque, and does a nice job of defining my lashes. It also doesn't dry out very quickly if you don't pump the wand in the bottle, so the product can last you for a while.

What it doesn't do well is hold a curl on my relatively straight and stubborn lashes. It also doesn't seem to lengthen them significantly. Also, the brush that comes with the product isn't very good at separating the lashes; I always go over them with my personal lash brush after putting on the mascara, to prevent an overly artificial "spider legs" look.

If you're going for a natural look and you have your own lash brush - which is a good cheap investment anyway - this is a fine, satisfying "generic" mascara of good quality for the price. It doesn't do what it advertises, though, and if you want a dramatic look, you'd probably be better off using a more expensive product.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/15/2012 7:06:00 PM More reviews by nikkimarie37

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I must say this product does NOT make your eyelashes longer. I bought this and immediately I was looking for a new kind to try. It does for sure make your eyelashes darker. That I liked because my eyelashes arent very noticeable. I might consider buying this again if I wanted something to just darken up my lashes. Otherwise it is a no go.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2012 9:09:00 PM More reviews by CoCoDebonair

Well. I must say that I'm impressed. Since I'm cutting back on what I spend towards beauty products I figured this would a great time to see what lower priced brands has the same quality as higher prices brands. After seeing this for $1.99 I figured if I doesn't work I wouldn't feel bad at all. But to my surprise. (I just applied it) This stuff actually works. After being GLUED to Clinique's High Impact mascara & L'Oreal's Double Extend w/ Lash Boosting Serum. I will say this will be going on my list of favs. The package is ultra slim and I love that the brush is just right. The formula is actually pretty good too, it catches onto my lashes well and it's nice for building. Without putting on any primer I noticed that my lashes were noticeably longer and a bit more flirty if I might add. My lashes are a bit short so I'm glad to say that the 60% longer lashes claim on the packaging is actually correct (at least for me). It's worth a try, it might even become your HG!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2012 9:24:00 PM More reviews by mmmakeupfreakkk

omg i loooooovvvvvee thhisss mascara like soo much !! i love the packaging and how the wand it soo long, its girly and cute and i love the overalll result it gives my lashes. it dosent make em clumpy nor toooo damn long like some mascaras doo, and i love the dark brown shade it has! its preetty cheap and i woulld DEFINITIVELY buy this product like there is nooo tommorow!! :) love it (:

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2012 5:21:00 PM More reviews by takemyhusbandplz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

If you're in the market for a drier type of lengthening mascera this is for you. There's nothing my baby fine lashes hate more than a wet, gloppy mascera. I also purchased this in an "emergency" situation as my usual mascera (L'oreal's Telescopic in Carbon Black) was out of stock. Since this mascera is dirt cheap (around $2), I figured if it didn't work I wasn't out much. At first I didn't like it as it didn't seem to separate my lashes enough. Then I used the wand from my Telescopic mascera instead, and it worked awesome. It does lengthen lashes and the black shade is a very deep black. It seems to last all day with out flaking or smudging too. The only gripe I have is that it drys even faster than my Telescopic mascera so if you don't put it on quickly it can give you Tammy Faye Baker lashes if you're not careful and I don't like the wand it comes with. Overall, though for a miserly $2 I can work quick and use my Telescopic wand.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2012 7:58:00 PM More reviews by sherria719

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

For the first time ever I picked this mascara up at Family Dollar because it was an "emergency" and I didn't want to stop anywhere else. Normally I wouldn't take the chance to buy this at a dollar store thinking it would be an inferior product but found that I loved it! No clumping, flaking, or breaking off, yet still makes your lashes long and beautiful. By far my favorite even among all the big name brands I've been buying for years!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/22/2012 9:35:00 AM More reviews by gleekie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

There is only one thing that stops me from claiming this product as my HG...it lengthens, is cheap, pretty black. The brush is small but not wimpy, it's easy to get into small corners. Can be layered for volume. And then....a week after I fell in love with this product..I discovered NYC (New York Color) isn't cruelty free. Theyre owned by coty, well known animal testers. On their site it says they do not test, but they're not listed as cruelty free on PETA or leaping bunny. And reading between the lines, you see they admit they do some testing, or at least don't deny it. I know some of you won't care (judging from all the positive reviews on maybelline, loreal, and Covergirl products) but I hope one of you understands an animal was tortured, traumatized, and killed at a point to make this product. I hope some of you will deposit of this mascara as I have, and boycott this company as well as others. I hate to shove my beliefs or preach but idk discovering this kind of upset me.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/5/2012 7:16:00 PM More reviews by serena63

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Bought this when I couldn't find NYC Instant Lash. Love how it looks for the first few hours, but by the end of the day it has smudged beneath my eyes. Except for that, it's a really nice mascara, especially for the price.