July 30, 2014 | 1943 users online

Shampoo - Shea Moisture - Organic Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2013 10:25:00 AM More reviews by bargain_girl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Finally! A shampoo I love and will repurchase without hesitation. Got it on a whim at Target when they offered BO get 50% off and am so happy I purchased (I wished I got two shampoos instead of the shea conditioner which I'm not so in love with). I've been looking for a good shampoo without SLS for ages, tried Jason and other natural brands without success. This actually lathered really well (I even used too much the first couple of times expecting it to lather poorly like some of the other natural brands) and made my hair feel silky and moisturized. Still on the hunt for a conditioner that I'm equally happy with (without breaking the bank). Definitely recommend this one...

rated 4 of 5 on 1/21/2013 1:19:00 PM More reviews by rainydays1234

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I have heard a lot of good things in the past about Shea Moisture products but always thought they were for really kinky, coily hair which I don't have. I do have wavy/curly, very dry hair and a very sensitive, dry scalp. After I spotted Shea Moisture products on sale at Target for buy one, get one 50% off, I decided to try the Moisture Retention shampoo and the Coconut Hibiscus Moisture Mist (which is another review).

SM shampoo is sls free, paraben free, mineral oil free...basically all the bad, nasty stuff free. It's loaded with argan oil, shea butter oil, vitamin e, coconut oil and is organic. I usually don't care what I uses in terms of shampoo b/c I've been co-washing for about three years now and I use a "regular" sls shampoo about 2x a week. However, with this shampoo, I can now shampoo every other day without causing dryness, damage, and itchy scalp.

This shampoo is really great. I LOVE using it! It is $10 for a 12 oz. bottle but it's definitely worth the splurge since I only shampoo my hair about 3-4 times a week. I find that i do have to use more than I normally would because I like a lot of suds and due to it being sls-free, it doesn't suds up that well for my hair. I'm not gonna lie, I'm not a big shea butter person, I like the moisturizing properties but I absolutely hate the smell of shea and cocoa butters so I had to get used to the nutty shea butter scent but it's not that bad and it doesn't linger in my hair.

I'm anxious to try the Coconut Hibiscus shampoo when I run out of this. I'm not sure if I would buy it again due to the scent but I really love the way my hair curls, stays nice and moisturized and frizz-free after using it. If I can't find the Coconut scent then I would buy this one again. Overall, a great shampoo for dry/curly/way hair that needs loads of moisture without creating an itchy, dry scalp. And bonus if you enjoy shea butter fragrances...you'll love it.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/9/2013 4:21:00 PM More reviews by BeautyBead

THIS SHAMPOO ROCKS!! I wash my newly short (big chop) crop of hair every 3 days and this keeps my hair very moist, soft, and manageable. I wash then use the conditioner followed by the Shea Moisture Curl Smoothie. This product is great smelling, no funky aroma like with Carol's Daughter's brand. So far, this is my favorite shampoo along with the Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo for thick curly hair. Since my hair is super short, I do experience some lather, however when my hair begins to grow out I may have to switch to another brand but for now I love this. Discovered it on sale at CVS/Pharmacy and glad I gave it a try.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/2/2013 11:35:00 PM More reviews by nena85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I wanted to love this but unfortunately it did not work for my hair. I have waist length, curly, coarse, thick hair that is very oily at the roots, but very dry everywhere else due to heat styling. This shampoo does not lather at all so it makes impossible to clean your hair well, I shampooed 3 times and my hair still felt dirty. The smell is ok not overpowering but not yummy either. Disappointed that it didn't work for me so I will not be buying this again.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/1/2013 4:16:00 PM More reviews by xavitaliax

I really liked this shampoo. It is my first time switching to organic and I have to admit that my hair feels very moisturized. I have thick highlighted hair and the only thing I don't like about it is the feeling that my hair is very heavy and oily. I know that there can be a transition period when you switch to organic when your scalp realizes it doesn't have to overcompensate for the chemicals so I will continue use in hopes that I even out.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/27/2012 2:47:00 AM More reviews by Jazluis

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Hi guys! This is my first post on this website. I have shoulder length coarse, super DRY, extra FRIZZY, unruly, unmanageable hair. Its not thick but it soaks up humidity to the point it looks like i have a horses mane. I have African American, Hawaiian, Irish, and Asian in me. Basically if you have ever seen him i'mi'm a dead ringer for troy polamalu's hair. I recently discovered Shea moisture while browsing the shampoo isle at target. Now I.m a sucker for Shea butter and this was basically natural which is also a plus. The ingredients include coconut oil, avocado oil, sea kelp, Shea butter, an vitamin e. There's no mineral oil, gluten, animal testing, synthetics, or DEA. I used it by itself without the conditioner and my hair felt clean. It didn't really lather up like the Dove i was using prior to and it was more creamy an thick but i liked the after results. It didn't really help catch all my frizz but my hair was smooth. Compared to some other reviews about the scent i enjoyed it.

Would not recommend for people with long hair because a little does not go a long way with me.

However, the price (10$) to me felt a little steep especially since it was a small bottle and it wasn't filled to the top, but i liked the results it gave me. I only wash my hair about 3 times a week with shampoo. Will give a review on its conditioner counter part.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2012 10:24:00 PM More reviews by katmendez

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I've spent 2 years experimenting with natural shampoos and conditioners. Not fun -- because so many are a drag to even try!

I have South Asian hair: thick, strong, course. Mine is slightly wavy. The roots tend to get oily and the rest dry.

In short, this is the best natural shampoo I've tried. It lathers well and leaves my hair moisturized and shiny. The ingredients are especially good: it rates a 1 on SkinDeep.

The smell is not at all "pretty", but I don't mind it. Just reminds me it's all natural.

I use Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle conditioner with this shampoo -- highly recommended combination.

PLEASE NOTE: this shampoo contains protein. As many of you know, protein either it works for you or it doesn't. Even if your hair takes well to protein, remember that it tends to to build up over time, after which your hair may be sullen and limp. With any protein shampoo or treatment, you must use a clarifying shampoo once in a while. My favorite is Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo, although it contains SLS. (At least I restrict the bead stuff to just once or twice a month.)

rated 4 of 5 on 11/8/2012 8:01:00 PM More reviews by Bountiful23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

I LOVE this shampoo on my natural hair. When I rinse it out, my hair looks and feels so moisturized. For my hair, it was also less tangly.( I'm kind of upset that this was not around when I was younger, it would have saved on a bunch of pain). I love the smell. There is nothing wrong I can say about this wonderful shampoo. I will repurchase. My hair type is 3c/4a for reference.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2012 11:42:00 AM More reviews by Suzie2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Holy Grail shampoo.

I absolutely love this shampoo. I am Caucasian and have 2C-3A hair. This stuff makes my hair very soft and shiny. The best part is my scalp feels absolutely fabulous when I use this - clean but not dry or itchy like it normally is. I am using the conditioner too and the jury is still out on that, but this shampoo can't be beat, imo.

Update 1/12/2013
I stopped using this because it made my scalp itch. I still use the conditioner, but now I use the African Black Soap Shampoo which I like better.

Update 11/24/2013. I no longer use the conditioner either.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/22/2012 10:00:00 PM More reviews by SHADADYL

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

this is a good shampoo gives my hair lots of moisture it was kind of expensive but worth it