Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Core Collection

4.5

on 7/28/2014 8:04:00 PM

These brushes really are amazing. When I first purchased them I used the pixel brush for concealer and the contour brush for powder, but I now find that the contour brush is perfect for blending cream foundations and the pixel is best for lips. However the small foundation brush is not good, after one use it becomes very bristly and hard.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I love Real Techniques brushes, that is why I have all of them, but not all of the are perfect. In this set, I LOVED the contour brush- I honestly think it's the best contouring brush I have, the buffing brush is good too, but for blending cream blushes - I didn't really like it for applying foundation. the Small detailer brush is great for applying lipstick. The only brush I don't care for in this set is the pointed foundation brush - it's too small for applying foundation on the face, it may work for concealer, but it's defiantly not great.

on 7/19/2014 3:26:00 PM

I love these brushes, they are my holy grail brushes for sure. They blend everything perfectly and are so easy to clean. I wrote a blog post about the sets i purchased i'd love it if you checked it out! www.beautifybeautyy.blogspot.co.uk

on 7/18/2014 6:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

1. The foundation brush is an absolutely joke. I tried to use it once or twice to no avail, it ended up in my 'beauty junkyard' drawer.
2. The detailer brush is so so. I use this for concealer and to be fair, the synthetic bristles work well with most cream products. The problem here is the size, as it's so small, it makes blending an utter chore.
3. I was rather excited for the bronzer brush and I find the brush shape isn't great for getting into the hollows of my cheeks. I have had moderate success with using this brush with a powder concealer.
4. The buffer brush is the redeemer here. This brush has become one of my favourites and staples. I use this with powder after applying my foundation with a beauty blender and it gives a flawless, airbrushed look. I can't recommend this one enough.

Overall, I think this set is really overhyped. The quality is okay for the price that you are paying but as I mentioned, these underperformed and left me slightly disappointed.

The bristles of the brushes are too hard. The big brushes basically scratch my face! I very much regret buying two sets of RT brushes. I should have just buy one brush to try.
It's such a waste of money buying two sets because having read of all the raves about RT brushes, but they actually turn out to be a big lie and disappointment!

on 7/16/2014 5:07:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've seen a lot of positive reviews about these brushes, especially the buffing brush. I've previously bought the eye collection and was impressed with that but the core collection blew me away. I mostly use concealer, tinted moisturiser and translucent setting powder and the buffing brush left a flawless finish, especially with 3 completely different textures. I don't wear mineral foundation very much but I'm going to try it as I believe the buffing brush is even better with powder makeup. I found the flat foundation quite good for layering liquid foundation. The detail brush can be used as a lip brush which I thought was so handy as I wouldn't go out and spend money on a lip brush. There are videos on YouTube about how to make the most of these brushes.

on 7/12/2014 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I would have given this set 5 however I only use the contour brush and the buffing brush - I wish the set featured two other brushes instead. But the buffing brush and contour brush are brilliant. The buffing brush gives more of a full coverage so for lighter more sheer coverage, I believe the stippling brush is better for that. The contour brush is excellent for both contour colours and blush. I would definitely recommend as the set is excellent value for money.

on 7/7/2014 2:51:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

First the bad - the contouring brush started coming apart on first use! I was gently dotting powder highlighter above my cheek bone and it left behind more hairs than highlighter. So disappointing because the rest of the brushes are great. The foundation brush is perfect for applying the heavy duty concealer I need by the face load. Buffing brush works a charm with gel foundation to achieve a smooth finish, but I often use the RT blending brush for this too with very impressive results. Detail brush is fabulous for fine eyeshadow and liner work alike and offers nice control and pigment transfer. Such a shame I had to remove a lippy for the dud contour brush, but hopefully dodgy glue won't ruin my love for the rest of the set.

on 6/5/2014 4:41:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

Totally jumping on the bandwagon with these. This is a set of 4 brushes: a buffing brush, a contouring brush, a small detailer brush and a pointed foundation brush which come in a handy kit.

The buffing brush really perfects the finish of your foundation, applies powder flawlessly and generally blends out whatever needs to be blended out in order to achieve an airbrushed look.

The contouring brush is divine, it's the perfect size for contouring those cheekbones plus the dense, feathery bristles really help diffuse the color so you won't get that annoying streak of color. Plus it is also great for applying powder in smaller areas like under the eyes, nose, chin etc.

The detailer brush is a brilliant multi-tasker. It conceals spots, applies lip product, smudges some eyeshadow on the lower lashline, highlights under the brow.

The pointed foundation brush is okay, it works best in some more tough areas such as the sides of your nose and generally smaller sections of your face where foundation needs to be perfected. I especially like to use this to "clean up" my undereye area after I've done my eyeshadow. However I wouldn't recommend using it for undereye concealing since every time I've used it, I felt the need to go back and blend my concealer even more with my fingers and I don't need all that extra work.

I really like the sleek, black travel case this comes in, makes it a lifesaver for travelling, plus the case can hold more brushes than the ones that come with. So happy I made this purchase, I'm extremely happy with this product.

on 5/25/2014 7:24:00 AM

Good quality brushes at a reasonable price. Love the fact that they come with a practical case. I find myself using mostly the buffing brush and the contouring brush. The buffing brush is definitely my favourite as it helps achieve a faultless look. The contouring brush does a good job. The detailing brush is OK but the foundation brush is too small, I never use it as it would take me ages to apply my foundation with it. I wish these brushes would be "softer" though, they're compact which is good but a little too hard. I could repurchase the whole package again, if nothing else because it's a lot of brush + case for money!

Video Reviews & Tutorials