April 16, 2014 | 1417 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Core Collection

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2013 2:49:00 AM More reviews by aspiecutie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I see people say they prefer these to Eco Tools or ELF Studio brushes. But I say these are a rather different type of product. Handle design aside, each line has different brush shapes and sizes which when combined with their different fibers make them suitable for different kinds of products. So, think twice before tossing your cheap 3$ brushes in the trashcan and rushing for the iHerb discount.

Personally, this set is all I have from Real Techniques and I'm convinced it's all I will ever need by them.

Design is important factor when I look for brushes. The pink and purple handles are so girly, maybe even childish. I much prefer the yellow brushes, without the wider base. I would have considered the blush brush but I'm not sure I would have used it. For powder I prefer a flat top brush, and for blush I like something smaller and angled.

Coming back to the set, the Buffing Brush is the highlight. I don't wear foundation but I use this for bronzer. It is small enough for contouring and the round dome shape allows round circular motions for larger areas of the face. The white endings of the fibers allow you to see how much product it picked up, and if there is still any left on it. It doesn't shed and it dries quickly.

The Contour Brush, good for more precise contouring or even setting concealer with powder.

The Pointed Foundation Brush I ended up using for highlighting with a powder product. As with the normal size foundation brush, the bristles are thicker and stiffer but the side is just thin enough and I can be precise.

The Detailer Brush is short, pointed and thick. It's too short for lips, and for concealer I find it too pointed and stiff. It's also too short and thick for eyeliner, but it might actually work if you need to smudge.

The Panoramic Case, I simply threw away. And that's very much unlike me. But my brushes I keep in a glass, to dry I hang them upside-down with elastics, and I carry them around in a thermos when traveling. Real Techniques brushes being relatively short, it doesn't fit my other longer brushes, and the material feels somewhat cheap.

Overall, Real Techniques brushes have rightfully earned their name, and the Core Collection is a good place to start and get an idea what to expect. For me I'm afraid, the journey only came this far.

NOTE: The black matte part of the buffing brush handle started to 'wrinkle' and I ended up scraping it all off with a coin, uncovering the shiny black plastic underneath. It is a bit disappointing as it looked and felt much nicer when it was matte, but I guess the cheap price point was bound to manifest itself.) It is still fully functional though and I will definitely repurchase if it breaks down.

Those looking for cruelty free synthetic brushes should check out the less talked about Body Shop range which become quite reasonable with their occasional 50% discount on makeup. They are even better quality than these.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2013 9:10:00 PM More reviews by TheDragonsVanity

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The Panoramic case makes it easy to store all my face brushes and it is excellent for hanging my brushes upside down to dry after I've deep-cleaned them.

I use eye shadows as contour colors so the size of the Contour Brush is perfect to dip into the small pans. The shape is designed well too- get the product on the tip of the brush then start blending it on the face. The longer bristles will place the color, the shorter bristles blend it out. Contouring is now effortless.

The Detailer Brush is heavily pinched at the ferrule so it is very flat. The bristles are cut to a filbert shape. The size and shape are conducive to blending eye liner along the lash line. You could also use it as a lip brush, but the long handle and lack of a cap make it less than purse-friendly. I use the Detailer Brush as an eye brush when I do glittery looks. I prefer to have the glitter on just the mobile lid and this brush works great to precisely apply a glitter base and then pack on glitter and/or loose pigments.

The buffing brush is round, flat-topped with a very slight taper at the edges. When used with a powder foundation, it gives more coverage than the large, loose Powder Brush does, but less coverage than the smaller, more dense Expert Face Brush. I have also used this with less pigmented blushes and it does alright, but I would not recommend using it with ultra-pigmented ones like Nars Orgasm, unless you like the clown look.

I do not use flat foundation brushes so I gave the Pointed Foundation Brush to my friend.

All Real Techniques brushes are very easy to clean and dry quickly. None of the Real Techniques brushes I have have ever shed on me, nor are any of them stained from continued use of colored products.

I have 3 downsides to Real Techniques brushes:

1) If you use alcohol or an alcohol-based cleaner to spot-clean clean your synthetic brushes, be sure to keep it away from the rubbery/soft coating on the black handle- it will melt the coating off. It doesn't ruin the brush, but you will be left with a black, shiny plastic handle with sharpish edges (this happened to my Expert Face Brush).

2) The aluminum ferrule will dent relatively easily compared to steel ferrules of other brushes. Do NOT knock the brush on the side of your sink to shake the excess water out after you've washed any of your Real Techniques brushes- it will dent the crap out of it. Don't ask me how I know. ~sigh~

3). The brushes that come in sets are NOT also sold separately. So for example if you want the Contour Brush, you have to buy the Core Collection to get it. This is the only reason the set gets 4 lippies instead of 5.

Overall Real Techniques brushes are high quality, ultra-soft brushes at a great price point. I would recommend them to anyone.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2013 12:41:00 PM More reviews by Costumiere77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love this kit, so much so that I require it for my Stage Makeup college course. These brushes are incredibly easy to clean and durable as well as suitable for a whole range of products- even sturdy Ben Nye creme that comes in the student kits that I suspect has a different formula from the a la carte foundations... possibly to increase shelf life.

Anyway, the buffing brush is great for application, blending, powder... everything. My least favorite is the little brush in this kit, but it is still better than most.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2013 6:00:00 AM More reviews by itsEmmaTime

I LOVE these brushes!! I have a lot of the Real Techniques Brushes but from this collection I would be lost without the buffing brush and the contour brush. The buffing brush just gives the most beautiful finish and coverage and it's amazing at buffing the product in. The contour brush is the perfect size and shape for contouring, I also use it for highlighting sometimes. I tend to use the pointed foundation brush for concealer the odd time because, for me, it's much to small for foundation. I could probably live without the detailer brush but only because I have a few brushes that are around the same size and I just didn't need another one!

I bought these on iHerb because the price for these in Ireland compared to the RRP in America is crazy! So I saved about €10 on this set. For synthetic brushes they are extremely soft! They wash and dry pretty easily. They're now some of my HG brushes.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2013 4:03:00 PM More reviews by joeykeen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love these brushes! I only use the contour and buffing brushes on a regular basis, but the low price of this set still makes it a great deal.

- the contour brush is the best I've ever found, perfect for emphasizing cheekbones
- I love the buffing brush, perfect for buffing in mineral makeup. I actually prefer it to my $40 lancome powder foundation brush. It's also easier to clean
- I don't use liquid foundation, so I use the pointed foundation brush to apply cream blushes. It's adequate for this use, but not a must have.
- I don't really use the detailer brush.
- the case is fairly useless for me, I have all of my (very large collection of) brushes in 2 glass cups and wouldn't set these up separately. I don't like excessive or useless packaging, so I was a bit sad about the case.

I purchased this from London drugs in Canada, I was so excited to find this line of brushes there!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2013 10:46:00 AM More reviews by Natalie94

Love love love these brushes! I've had MAC ones for the past 2 years, and these brushes beat them by a mile! The buffing brush is absolutely amazing, gives me the flawless look. The contour brush is also extremely good! The foundation brush is a bit small, which is a bit of a let down, which is also the only downside to these brushes! For 4 brushes, the price isn't too much either, extremely affordable! Best brushes yet.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2013 3:06:00 PM More reviews by Ediecx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love these so much they are amazing overall !! 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

rated 4 of 5 on 7/18/2013 11:44:00 PM More reviews by Crystalfaith

I think the samantha chapman's line of brushes is so popular, so I bought and try, and I like it...very practical.. Hope to collect the other few too..

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2013 6:37:00 PM More reviews by smei

Holy cow, these brushes are amazing. The buffing brush is so soft and works well with either liquid or powder foundations. It's on the smaller side but quickly works foundation into your skin for a light, airbrushed look. The other brushes probably work just as well as the sigma brushes and are pretty much just as soft. I don't really have a use for the foundation brush so sometimes I'll use it to contour my nose just for kicks.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2013 5:31:00 PM More reviews by nataliepin

Real Techniques brushes overall are amazing. In this kit, my favourites are the buffing and contour brush. The buffing brush is beautiful for liquid foundations, BB creams and blending in general. I typically use the contour brush for bronzer and contouring because I like that harsh look that it gives, but its also easy to blend out the harsher lines it creates. Also great for blush or highlight because it is quite small and fits nicely in those contours. Both are staples in my everyday routine. The foundation brush I'll pull out occasionally, usually for concealer or liquid highlighter. It does a great job but too small for foundation for my liking. The accent brush is great for spot concealing as well as lipstick application. My only problem with using it for lips is that you basically need to wash it with every use, but I suppose that goes for any lip brush. All brushes are soft on the face, easy to clean and dry fast. Comes in a handy travel case with room for extra brushes which is a great touch (and useful!). Only marking it down a bit on price because I'm in Canada, and before these were available at Walmart I ordered mine online for a hefty price of $45 rather than $20 in stores.