September 22, 2014 | 1859 users online

Cleansers - Josie Maran Cosmetics - Argan Cleansing Oil

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2013 3:47:00 PM More reviews by Angeldoll

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I really wanted to love this but I didn't. My skin is combo, acne+clog prone, slightly sensitive. This cleanser after 2 weeks of using turned my combo skin into a dry tight mess. I stopped using it and returned to another gentler cleanser and my skin is calming down. This made my skin tight and dry and I got dematitis on my cheeks due to the dryness it caused me. Also the fact that this cleanser is so thick and hard to spread (I had to rub the heck out of my skin) made made my skin red and angry.I love josie but this cleanser was absolutely horrible for me. I'm returning it asap!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/22/2013 3:11:00 PM More reviews by xcessa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the fourth oil cleanser I've tried: Shu, MAC, Boscia, and now Josie. I have to say - this is my least favourite! Both nights that I have used it, my eyes have been red and irritated the next day. This is not true at all with the Shu or MAC ones - you can really get in there and break down long wearing eye makeup, lash glue, whatever with no irritation. Boscia is good but the mintyness also wasn't great for my sensitive skin.
Pros of this is that it really does take all the makeup off, and leaves your skin feeling moisturized. If you use a separate eye makeup remover, give this a shot. If you want an all-in-one, try the others mentioned.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2013 6:46:00 PM More reviews by Jinxicat9

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I haven't been a fan of oil based cleaners until now. The few I've tried in the past seemed to irritate my skin, cause breakouts on my chin and had no benefit to my skin.
I received Josie Maran Argan Cleansing Oil as a deluxe sample in a binge haul from Sephora. Truth is, I had never heard of the Josie Maran brand before. A few weeks later I tried it as part of my face cleansing routine before going to bed. The first night I tried it I liked the feel of it as I gently massaged it in. (Not on my eyes, only gentle eye makeup remover for my eyes.) The smell of citrus was wonderful and I liked the viscosity of the oil, thick and then it becomes smooth and silky with the warmth of my hands. I normally rinse/flush my face very well, finish with a warm steamy wash cloth over my face for a minute and then calm my skin with one of my favorite face toners around my chin to calm my skin. I used the oil cleanser for a few nights with nothing seemingly special about it. On the fourth night after my routine my skin just felt different, really clean, firm but not tight and really nice. I went to examine my skin a little more carefully and closer and immediately noticed that the problem pores around my chin area were smaller and smoother looking. The pores also looked empty, if that makes sense. That alone was impressive to me. But, I also have mild rosacea across the bridge of my nose and slightly into my cheeks...It was dramatically improved, still slightly pinkish looking, but super smooth and soft. I was sold and delighted. I ordered the full sized bottle with a few extra Josie Maran products that same night. It's been about three weeks and my skin hasn't looked this good in a long time. I've even had a few days where I didn't use foundation only a little powder and blush and my skin looked fresh and calm. I truly do love this product and for the first time ever purchased a full product from trying a sample.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2013 5:40:00 PM More reviews by canadian

For reference my skin is combination (dry cheeks, slightly oily tzone) and sensitive.

I apply a small amount to dry skin, massage it for 20-30 second, add water to my face to create a lather, massage for another 20-30 second, rinse.

I haven't removed eye makeup with this product because I'm not sure if it's safe for the eye area.

I find if I'm wearing heavier foundation I may need to do a second cleanse with this product or another type of cleanser.

The only cons are it feels like it leaves a bit of a film on my face ( a few extra splashes of water help) and my skin feels a bit dry (face moisturizer solves that).

It hasn't irritated my sensitive skin

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2013 8:35:00 PM More reviews by Happythenjaded

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

HG cleanser! LOVE! I had combo acne prone skin and this stuff has turned my life around!!!!!! love it!!!!! :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2013 12:27:00 PM More reviews by snowshoe73

I never thought I'd use an oil to cleanse my skin. I received a couple of bottles of this as part of larger sets. I first tried it as a waterproof eye makeup remover, but it wasn't very good. Recently I read about using oil cleansers as a pre-treat to remove makeup before cleansing, so I figured I'd try it. Now THIS is what it was meant for!

I only use it at night on the days that I'm wearing makeup. It melts off most anything on my face (see waterproof eye makeup disclaimer above) with ease. I then follow-up with my regular cleanser and Clairsonic brush, and my skin comes out clean yet not dried out. In addition, breakouts and blackheads have actually decreased since I've been doing this to remove my makeup. I don't use the oil in the AM, nor do I use it on non-makeup days: for those times, I just use my usual cleanser and Clairsonic.

The downsides to this are the cost (it's pretty pricey for cleansing oil) and taste (not that I"m actively trying to eat it, but sometimes it does get on the lips). The smell doesn't particularly bother me. On the other hand, since I only use it once a day and not every day at that, even the sample bottles do last a long time.

My experience with this cleansing oil has made me consider trying the homemade OCM. It would be cheaper than this product and it would allow for me to customize the oil blend based on my skin. Though given that I'm having so much success with using the cleansing oil once a day (or less), that's probably all I'll do the OCM. But that's a review for another thread.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2013 10:32:00 AM More reviews by lunalove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have tried many different cleansing oils, including DHC, Mac, Dermalogica precleanse, Shu pink and green, boscia, etc.
DHC broke me out, pink shu was too drying, precleanse is my favorite, the others are a good solid choice.
Other than DHC and Shu pink, josie maran's argan oil is at the bottom of the list for me because it does not cleanse as well as all my others. It smells like orange blossom (?) and is quite thick as others have stated, but my main gripe is that it did not leave my face feeling as clean as my others. I will suggest that you use a separate eye makeup remover especially if you wear waterproof mascara when using a cleansing oil, but it should cut right through your spf, foundation, face powder and even setting spray.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2013 8:18:00 PM More reviews by Dragun

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I got this in a Kat Von D pouch filled with samples as part of a Sephora christmas order, so I can't speak to price or size, only my experience.

I've loved DHC Cleansing OIl for years, and hadn't tried anything else, except pure EVOO, so I was excited to try something different.

I used it the first time with a full face of makeup. I was stunned at the consistency, it was like cold honey and so very sticky. But, after working it into my skin as best I could, then scrubbing with a terry cloth, I got really, really clean, soft, skin. The results rivaled DHC, and, my eyes weren't blurred afterward, a pesky side effect of DHC's product. Then I read the reviews here and saw that I'm not the only one a little freaked out over the stickiness.

I used it a second time on a makeup free face and was even more impressed with its cleaning ability.
For reference I am an NW20, pale, with freckles, hormonal breakouts and large pores. My skin was again soft, but the annoying clogged pores looked less so.

Would purchase this product in the future, although I'd continue to use a different product to remove eye makeup so I don't have to tug on that delicate skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/6/2013 3:14:00 PM More reviews by BrittGlass32510

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Soooo, I really wanted to try the cleansing oil route, as it seemed to make sense being that your skin is made up of oils. I used exactly as directed, on a dry face with dry hands. It DID remove makeup, etc... HOWEVER, the smell/taste were disgusting and it left my skin dry and tight. I wasn't pleased whatsoever, and immediately returned the product. Needless to say, I won't be trying any cleansing oils again anytime soon. Also, the fact that you must use dry face/hands makes it very inconvenient to use in the shower. Therefore, I suggest if you're going to purchase this product, that you also purchase a separate cleanser to use in the bath/shower.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2013 4:13:00 PM More reviews by DrMAC

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This cleansing oil is nothing like Shu's.. so if you like that oil, you should stick with it. I got this in a set with the argan oil and several other items. It has a citrus smell, and is very thick when applying it to my face. I accidentally got some in my mouth when I was washing it off, and it has a strange bitter taste. This product is a fail.. they should make a different cleanser that isn't so thick and unpleasant..