April 20, 2014 | 1499 users online

Cleansers - Josie Maran Cosmetics - Argan Cleansing Oil

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2013 8:35:00 PM More reviews by Happythenjaded

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

HG cleanser! LOVE! I had combo acne prone skin and this stuff has turned my life around!!!!!! love it!!!!! :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2013 12:27:00 PM More reviews by snowshoe73

I never thought I'd use an oil to cleanse my skin. I received a couple of bottles of this as part of larger sets. I first tried it as a waterproof eye makeup remover, but it wasn't very good. Recently I read about using oil cleansers as a pre-treat to remove makeup before cleansing, so I figured I'd try it. Now THIS is what it was meant for!

I only use it at night on the days that I'm wearing makeup. It melts off most anything on my face (see waterproof eye makeup disclaimer above) with ease. I then follow-up with my regular cleanser and Clairsonic brush, and my skin comes out clean yet not dried out. In addition, breakouts and blackheads have actually decreased since I've been doing this to remove my makeup. I don't use the oil in the AM, nor do I use it on non-makeup days: for those times, I just use my usual cleanser and Clairsonic.

The downsides to this are the cost (it's pretty pricey for cleansing oil) and taste (not that I"m actively trying to eat it, but sometimes it does get on the lips). The smell doesn't particularly bother me. On the other hand, since I only use it once a day and not every day at that, even the sample bottles do last a long time.

My experience with this cleansing oil has made me consider trying the homemade OCM. It would be cheaper than this product and it would allow for me to customize the oil blend based on my skin. Though given that I'm having so much success with using the cleansing oil once a day (or less), that's probably all I'll do the OCM. But that's a review for another thread.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2013 10:32:00 AM More reviews by lunalove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have tried many different cleansing oils, including DHC, Mac, Dermalogica precleanse, Shu pink and green, boscia, etc.
DHC broke me out, pink shu was too drying, precleanse is my favorite, the others are a good solid choice.
Other than DHC and Shu pink, josie maran's argan oil is at the bottom of the list for me because it does not cleanse as well as all my others. It smells like orange blossom (?) and is quite thick as others have stated, but my main gripe is that it did not leave my face feeling as clean as my others. I will suggest that you use a separate eye makeup remover especially if you wear waterproof mascara when using a cleansing oil, but it should cut right through your spf, foundation, face powder and even setting spray.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2013 8:18:00 PM More reviews by Dragun

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I got this in a Kat Von D pouch filled with samples as part of a Sephora christmas order, so I can't speak to price or size, only my experience.

I've loved DHC Cleansing OIl for years, and hadn't tried anything else, except pure EVOO, so I was excited to try something different.

I used it the first time with a full face of makeup. I was stunned at the consistency, it was like cold honey and so very sticky. But, after working it into my skin as best I could, then scrubbing with a terry cloth, I got really, really clean, soft, skin. The results rivaled DHC, and, my eyes weren't blurred afterward, a pesky side effect of DHC's product. Then I read the reviews here and saw that I'm not the only one a little freaked out over the stickiness.

I used it a second time on a makeup free face and was even more impressed with its cleaning ability.
For reference I am an NW20, pale, with freckles, hormonal breakouts and large pores. My skin was again soft, but the annoying clogged pores looked less so.

Would purchase this product in the future, although I'd continue to use a different product to remove eye makeup so I don't have to tug on that delicate skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/6/2013 3:14:00 PM More reviews by BrittGlass32510

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Soooo, I really wanted to try the cleansing oil route, as it seemed to make sense being that your skin is made up of oils. I used exactly as directed, on a dry face with dry hands. It DID remove makeup, etc... HOWEVER, the smell/taste were disgusting and it left my skin dry and tight. I wasn't pleased whatsoever, and immediately returned the product. Needless to say, I won't be trying any cleansing oils again anytime soon. Also, the fact that you must use dry face/hands makes it very inconvenient to use in the shower. Therefore, I suggest if you're going to purchase this product, that you also purchase a separate cleanser to use in the bath/shower.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2013 4:13:00 PM More reviews by DrMAC

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This cleansing oil is nothing like Shu's.. so if you like that oil, you should stick with it. I got this in a set with the argan oil and several other items. It has a citrus smell, and is very thick when applying it to my face. I accidentally got some in my mouth when I was washing it off, and it has a strange bitter taste. This product is a fail.. they should make a different cleanser that isn't so thick and unpleasant..

rated 3 of 5 on 12/30/2012 11:30:00 PM More reviews by TeMpErMeNtAl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

As most of the other reviewers have said this is a thick product that does pull at the skin if you don't mix water. However I usually like to wet my face first to get my makeup moving around on my face then apply this cleanser and I have no problems. With the way I use this I would say it cleans off about 80% of my makeup so I'll use a toner after to make sure I've got everything off. If you use heavy makeup then I would say this is not for you.
Even though this is an oil it can be drying so you have to moisturizer afterward. I haven't had any problem with packaging and it hasn't broken me out. My only real problem with this product is the price. I think this is a good product overall however I'm not sure if I would pay this much again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2012 2:53:00 PM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

For a cleansing oil, the consistency is a little too thick for my preference. Did not seem to really clean my face well or rinse off well.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2012 5:11:00 PM More reviews by kimk

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I don't much like this cleansing oil. I don't mind the scent at all, but it's sticky and you literally can't rub it around on your face - my fingers move about half an inch and then they just stick in place. It's the weirdest stuff ever. you have to add water to get it spread over your face, and that causes it to emulsify and it doesn't clean as well then. I will use the bottle but will not repurchase. It cleans *ok* but there are too many other, cheaper oils to use that work the way a cleansing oil is supposed to work to buy this again.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/14/2012 1:51:00 PM More reviews by daisyeyes

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm a huge fan of oil cleansers. I normally use Babor but was running low and hadn't ordered it. Babor is not available where I live, so I popped into Sephora for an emergency substitute. I've used Josie Maran hair oil before, was impressed with the facial oil's ingredients, and thought it would be a good choice. It wasn't. As others have said, this is too thick to glide smoothly over the skin until water is added. Too much pulling and tugging! Yikes! I thought it was a little too difficult to rinse away, and I had a big breakout after a few days of using it (big breakout as in so bad I went to the derm), making me think I still didn't rinse well enough. The smell is horrendous. The citrusy notes are ok, but there is another scent in it that makes you want to barf because it smells like, well, barf. Seriously. I gave this a good 10 days' effort and just couldn't deal with it. Not for me.