July 31, 2014 | 1132 users online

Hair Treatments - John Frieda - Go Blonder Lightening Spray

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2013 11:40:00 AM More reviews by Mirkku

I've read a lot of negative comments about this product but I have to disagree. I must say that I've never dyed or colored my hair before in any way. This is the first product I've ever used to make my hair lighter.
Already after 3 times of using it I noticed a difference. It took the people around me a lot longer (the bottle was almost empty by then) but I consider that a good thing, to me it means that it looks really natural. I still have different shades and highlights as I had before I used this product. My hair does not feel dry at all and is in perfect condition. I've used 1 complete bottle and I'm almost satisfied with this shade, so when it's on discount again I will buy another bottle.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/5/2013 7:51:00 AM More reviews by VanillaMintt

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I personally love this product! I use it for about a week straight after getting my hair freshly highlighted, and it lightens my hair so much! I think most of the people commenting here are taking the product for advantage however. Although the product claims to contain a heat protectant, I still use heat protectants on top of it. Before I blowdry my hair, I put a quarter size amount of blow drying heat protectant and then spray this product on top in sections. After my hair is dried, I spray a heat protectant on for my straightener and then straighten my hair. REMEMBER TO USE HEAT PROTECTANT PEOPLE! and lots of it! :) Other than that, no damage is done to my hair since I take care of it extremely!

Also, for those saying it has damaged their hair so much, I have hair so thin that it's smaller than the width of a water bottle cap when it's in a ponytail, meaning I have the most damage-prone hair. And since my hair hasnt become damaged from this product, most of these reviewers are either not protecting their hair enough, or not using hair tools bought from beauty or salon stores (blow dryers, curler, straightener). And if any of you have a Chi straightener, what the heck are you doing to yourself? Chi's do not have a heat setting, therefor it only goes to one level of heat, which is way to high for anyones hair to withstand, the only reason hair dressers use Chi's at work is because they are only styling your hair once a month at the most with it. I have talked with several hair stylists and all of them refuse to have a Chi in their homes.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/27/2013 8:41:00 PM More reviews by redhd35

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Only used this once so far but love it. My highlights tend to get brassy and darker in between salon visits. I've also always wanted my base lightened a bit in my part line and around my face.

One application of this and my highlights look refreshed -minimal change to my base color. I think this will extend time between salon visits and save a lot of money.

It was a bit drying so I would not use twice in a row but I think a couple of times a month couldn't hurt and definitely would brighten the blonde.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/26/2013 1:03:00 AM More reviews by Ashleenlababee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was really loving this product ... I have naturally dark brown and have several blonde highlights I used this on my roots to blend in my color a bit .. I occasionally used it all over. It did not make my brown hair orange and made my hair blend in nicely.. But it is EXTREMELY damaging. If you are going to use this with moderation go for it but DO NOT use this more then once every two weeks cause your hair will literally fall off.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/24/2013 6:38:00 PM More reviews by misshair

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I was excited to try this and while in theory it reminded me a lot of Sun-In from years ago, I had hoped this would work better. It did lighten the hair but also caused A LOT of breakage, far more than almost any salon or even home highlight process would. I used this maybe about 3 or 4 times and my hair was EXTREMELY healthy before using it. The the horrible breakage started. I wanted to cry. My hair is/was very strong and healthy and this should not have happened!!! Would not recommend.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/3/2013 5:34:00 AM More reviews by VioletLilyRose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

THIS PRODUCT WILL DESTROY YOUR HAIR REGARDLESS OF HOW YOU USE IT.

I would like to correct some of the assumptions of Lillypad69 who has decided to blame those who DO properly use this horrific product and have their hair destroyed.

DO NOT use over a long period of time! -

I DID NOT USE IF OVER A LONG PERIOD OF TIME. I used one quarter of a bottle of the course of four months.

She wrote:
DO NOT use it every day, or even two days in a row!
I DID NOT USE IT EVERY DAY.

DO condition your hair during use
I DID CONDITION MY HAIR DURING USE.

She wrote:
DO use carefully, it's not a styling product you wont need a great amount of it, that's what's drying out and knotting your hair.
I DID USE IT CAREFULLY

She wrote:
Give the product a chance, but remember it's permanently lightening (bleaching) your hair slowly and softly, know what you're putting in your hair before you use it!!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT RUIN YOUR HAIR BY USING THIS PRODUCT. PLEASE DON'T. I used it very cautiously. February 14, 2012 was the last time I used this spray. As I wrote above, I used this product very, very sparingly. I wanted to look nice for Valentine's Day. I used the spray, I styled my hair. I normally do not use heat, but I did straighten my hair that night. Not overkill, mind you. Just fixing my hair. Bear in mind that on the information for the bottle it encourages heat to bring out the color. The next day after showering and combing through my hair gently a CHUNK of it fell off. Well guess what? It continued to fall out and to break out. My dermatologist said that ONE use of this spray - ONE could RUIN your hair if it's fine.

I'm happy for Lilypad69 and those who haven't had to regret using this product every single day for a year. I'm happy that she hasn't lost her hair. I hope she wises up soon and stops using it. Don't you dare try to blame the people who used the product CORRECTLY for this problem. You have no idea how much grief this stupid spray has caused.

Please realize that most of the positive reviews are from people who just haven't had their hair break off YET or got lucky.

15 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/25/2013 7:19:00 AM More reviews by Lillypad69

These are not assumptions, I am only here to help those who want to try this product regardless of negative reviews safely. What I am saying is no personal attack, I am sorry for those who have had horrible reactions and hair issues due to this product but i believe there is a way to use it.
THIS PRODUCT IS BEING MISUSED.
I'm using this product now, and am so far getting expected lightened hair. but the negative reviews you most likely have already read are often mistakes in application of the product!
It does contain peroxide! So don't use it every day, or even every week! You wouldn't bleach your hair every week would you!?? Also maintain your hair with nourishing conditioners, this product really isn't bad, it just lacks in directions. so....
DO NOT use over a long period of time!
DO NOT use it every day, or even two days in a row!
DO NOT spill on carpets of towels! It will bleach them!
DO condition your hair during use

Thankyou for reading, hope this helped.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/24/2013 11:29:00 AM More reviews by listentonothing

Okay so I have black asian hair. This bottle gave me the tint I want to lighten my hair but... GIRLS STAY AWAY FROM THIS SPRAY. IT WORKS BUT IT FRIES YOUR HAIR KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN OUT OF YOUR HAIR. YOUR HAIR WILL SPLIT 3X and FALL OUT and get into CLUSTER KNOTS!

What's the point of having hair when it's not pretty?

6 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/19/2013 1:57:00 AM More reviews by ClementineSky

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

If you are using this product and loving the results you've experiencing, please stop while you are ahead before you become yet another victim to this horrific product. I'm actually seriously considering contacting a product liability lawyer because of the extraordinary damage this product has done to my hair, and to many, many others. If you're interested in joining a suit, please message me here. I have naturally dark blonde hair, and used this product precisely as directed and not in excess. I took pictures of the box this product it came in, and the literature, and there are no warnings on it about limiting the number of times you should use it. I was happy with the results at first, and then one day a massive chunk of hair snapped off. My hair continued to break off all over the entire top of my head, all in areas where I'd used the spray. Over a foot of hair broke off. The areas where I did not apply the spray did not undergo any changes, which was the first clue that the spray was culpable. My doctor then confirmed it. When my hair stylist saw it she said I needed to sue for them ruining my hair. There is no other way to put it. This product didn't just have unfavorable results. It didn't just create built up. It utterly destroyed my hair beyond the ability to repair. I've had massive hair loss with a noticeable bald spot at the very front of my head, and my hair is so fragile it cannot even withstand gentle combing now. I can't blow it dry, I can't color it, I can't use any form of heat product, and I can't even brush it. I'm a professional young woman, but feel like I look like a slob because my hair is just an absolute wreck. Any attempt to style it causes more damage. The roots are weak, and the texture is dried out and gummy. It's also caused a painful condition called folliculitis. Unfortunately, stopping the product will not cause the damage to be undone. The product breaks down the structure of your hair, so months after you stop using it, you will still have hair loss, breakage, dryness, and other issues. I saw a YouTube video a women made about the product, and she is still dealing with breakage a full year later. Numerous people who commented said they were also having breakage a year later, so I really feel hopeless now. Many women have had to just cut all their hair off due to this product.

I contacted John Frieda about the issues twice, and all they wanted me to do was complete a medical form, and promised to send coupons for more of their products upon submitting itI will never use another product of theirs, so that's futile. I've spent a small fortune on other products to try to help mend the damage from this product. The only ones that have actually helped to lessen the hair loss are from the Redken Extreme line.The products are expensive, but they have definitely helped with the breakage and loss.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE be kind to yourself and do not use this spray. The initial joys of the results will quickly fade when your hair is ruined.

19 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2013 9:29:00 PM More reviews by marsgolfer

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I haven't read other than one good review.
First of all there's no peroxide in it, so there can't be build up of it.
People are saying their hair is straw like from it, but it seems these people also color their hair, and are using it to touch up.
Maybe there is the correlation.
I'm no hair doctor:)
I don't use anything to color my hair except this.
My hair is fairly healthy...it does get a bit bright..but that's cause i don't take the time to do it right...my hair is healthy, and even my hair dresser says my hair is healthy...so ...?
anyway, i say it's good:)