September 2, 2014 | 992 users online

Hair Treatments - John Frieda - Go Blonder Lightening Spray

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2013 2:35:00 PM More reviews by kateydub

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I agree with the reviewer a couple posts down, this product should be used sparingly! Be patient, use caution, and you'll see some results. :)

I have long blonde hair, the bottom 1/3 has been colored/bleached while the top 2/3 is all natural. So it's a very slight ombre effect going on. The winter months can get kind of drab so here's how I utilize this spray:

I'll use it once MAYBE twice a week and will always follow up at the *next* wash with Shimmer Lights conditioner. (I just mix a few drops into my regular products.) That's where I really see the pay-off with this lightening spray. It tones down any brassiness and makes the lighter strands sparkle!

I can't imagine using this every day to lighten my hair, mainly because it's just not a good styling product. I use this product on its own in damp hair because I'm wary of how it might mix with other ingredients. I like to separate my bangs/front layers and spray them from root to tip. Then I section my hair, mist a bit, and comb it through. I don't saturate my hair or concentrate it anywhere. Finally I'll run some moroccan oil through my hair when its dry. Then, again, I'll use some shimmer lights at the next wash.

I'll follow this routine for 2-3 weeks and then I'll put on a clear, demi ION glaze. I'll wait a month or so, and then use the spray again as the clear shine washes out.

It's just enough for me to brighten my hair a bit without having to use any bleach or permanent dye, think Amanda Seyfried's color. *squeal!!* But that's just me.

**Please be SO SUPER CAREFUL if you have dyed hair!! Cannot stress that enough!!**

rated 1 of 5 on 3/15/2013 9:00:00 AM More reviews by friddyc

LOVED this product when I first used it - turned my dark blonde hair a really lovely light sun-kissed blonde... and then it all went wrong... I must have used the spray maybe only five times and my hair started breaking off in chunks, I'm not even joking, I now have large sections of hair where it is no longer than five cm's long (the rest of my hair is shoulder length), its now also really dry, brittle, the gorgeous goldy colour has gone brassy yellow AND - NO HAIRDRESSER WILL DYE MY HAIR - as they're afraid even more hair will fall out because my hair is so damaged even though I stopped using this product over three months ago!! Seriously avoid this product - I was of the opinion 'it cant be that bad' after reading reviews before using it, trust me, it really is that bad!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/10/2013 7:05:00 PM More reviews by HannahRach

I know there has been a lot of negative reviews on this one but I've got a positive one! :)
I've got naturally blonde hair, it's waist length, curly and super thick. I wanted to lighten my hair a little bit a few years ago so I decided to purchase this.
I ONLY use it during the winter months when my roots are a little darker and my blonde needs a little boost. I do not use it during the summer months, you just don't need it then.
The one bottle lasts me a whole year. This is how little you need to use it.
I spray it roughly over my whole head once a week or 3 weeks during one or two winter months, and it gives me a really natural looking highlighted look! I've never had a problem with my hair falling out/breaking/splitting or getting damaged when using this product, but I do use it sparingly.
Overall I really like this product and it is SO much cheaper than getting my hair highlighted at the hairdressers!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/10/2013 10:32:00 AM More reviews by ellir02

do NOT buy this product. I am agreeing with all the negative reviews i have read on this product, and if you still have anything positive to say about it please please do not continue using it.
I started using this product with mousey brown hair and was so so happy with the results at first, its changed to a lovely, really unusual caramel shade that i was constantly getting complimented about. So i felt i had to keep using it to keep the colour as it would start to dull down if i stopped. after using it on and off for about a year i then stopped for about 6 months and its THEN that the damage started. I have always taken great care of my hair it was medium length and really thick. my hair started to go really dry and frizzy on top and no prodcts could control it, then all the frizz just completly broke off in clumps leaving me with very very short and uneven tufts of hair on the top of my head. my hair is so so fine and brittle now that i cant do anything with it without it hurting or being scared its going to break off. i have 3 bald patches too at the bottom. This product should mdefinatly come with warning labels its horrific. it shouldnt be allowed to be sold, especially seeing how many other people have had the same problem. i'd give anything to have my old hair back, you definately get what you pay for with this product, if you want your hair lightened, DO NOT USE THIS AS THE CHEAP WAY OUT!!!! pay the proper price at the hairdressers!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2013 11:40:00 AM More reviews by Mirkku

I've read a lot of negative comments about this product but I have to disagree. I must say that I've never dyed or colored my hair before in any way. This is the first product I've ever used to make my hair lighter.
Already after 3 times of using it I noticed a difference. It took the people around me a lot longer (the bottle was almost empty by then) but I consider that a good thing, to me it means that it looks really natural. I still have different shades and highlights as I had before I used this product. My hair does not feel dry at all and is in perfect condition. I've used 1 complete bottle and I'm almost satisfied with this shade, so when it's on discount again I will buy another bottle.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/5/2013 7:51:00 AM More reviews by VanillaMintt

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I personally love this product! I use it for about a week straight after getting my hair freshly highlighted, and it lightens my hair so much! I think most of the people commenting here are taking the product for advantage however. Although the product claims to contain a heat protectant, I still use heat protectants on top of it. Before I blowdry my hair, I put a quarter size amount of blow drying heat protectant and then spray this product on top in sections. After my hair is dried, I spray a heat protectant on for my straightener and then straighten my hair. REMEMBER TO USE HEAT PROTECTANT PEOPLE! and lots of it! :) Other than that, no damage is done to my hair since I take care of it extremely!

Also, for those saying it has damaged their hair so much, I have hair so thin that it's smaller than the width of a water bottle cap when it's in a ponytail, meaning I have the most damage-prone hair. And since my hair hasnt become damaged from this product, most of these reviewers are either not protecting their hair enough, or not using hair tools bought from beauty or salon stores (blow dryers, curler, straightener). And if any of you have a Chi straightener, what the heck are you doing to yourself? Chi's do not have a heat setting, therefor it only goes to one level of heat, which is way to high for anyones hair to withstand, the only reason hair dressers use Chi's at work is because they are only styling your hair once a month at the most with it. I have talked with several hair stylists and all of them refuse to have a Chi in their homes.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/27/2013 8:41:00 PM More reviews by redhd35

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Only used this once so far but love it. My highlights tend to get brassy and darker in between salon visits. I've also always wanted my base lightened a bit in my part line and around my face.

One application of this and my highlights look refreshed -minimal change to my base color. I think this will extend time between salon visits and save a lot of money.

It was a bit drying so I would not use twice in a row but I think a couple of times a month couldn't hurt and definitely would brighten the blonde.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/26/2013 1:03:00 AM More reviews by Ashleenlababee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was really loving this product ... I have naturally dark brown and have several blonde highlights I used this on my roots to blend in my color a bit .. I occasionally used it all over. It did not make my brown hair orange and made my hair blend in nicely.. But it is EXTREMELY damaging. If you are going to use this with moderation go for it but DO NOT use this more then once every two weeks cause your hair will literally fall off.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/24/2013 6:38:00 PM More reviews by misshair

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I was excited to try this and while in theory it reminded me a lot of Sun-In from years ago, I had hoped this would work better. It did lighten the hair but also caused A LOT of breakage, far more than almost any salon or even home highlight process would. I used this maybe about 3 or 4 times and my hair was EXTREMELY healthy before using it. The the horrible breakage started. I wanted to cry. My hair is/was very strong and healthy and this should not have happened!!! Would not recommend.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/3/2013 5:34:00 AM More reviews by VioletLilyRose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

THIS PRODUCT WILL DESTROY YOUR HAIR REGARDLESS OF HOW YOU USE IT.

I would like to correct some of the assumptions of Lillypad69 who has decided to blame those who DO properly use this horrific product and have their hair destroyed.

DO NOT use over a long period of time! -

I DID NOT USE IF OVER A LONG PERIOD OF TIME. I used one quarter of a bottle of the course of four months.

She wrote:
DO NOT use it every day, or even two days in a row!
I DID NOT USE IT EVERY DAY.

She wrote:
DO condition your hair during use
I DID CONDITION MY HAIR DURING USE.

She wrote:
DO use carefully, it's not a styling product you wont need a great amount of it, that's what's drying out and knotting your hair.
I DID USE IT CAREFULLY

She wrote:
Give the product a chance, but remember it's permanently lightening (bleaching) your hair slowly and softly, know what you're putting in your hair before you use it!!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT RUIN YOUR HAIR BY USING THIS PRODUCT. PLEASE DON'T. I used it very cautiously. February 14, 2012 was the last time I used this spray. As I wrote above, I used this product very, very sparingly. I wanted to look nice for Valentine's Day. I used the spray, I styled my hair. I normally do not use heat, but I did straighten my hair that night. Not overkill, mind you. Just fixing my hair. Bear in mind that on the information for the bottle it encourages heat to bring out the color. The next day after showering and combing through my hair gently a CHUNK of it fell off. Well guess what? It continued to fall out and to break out. My dermatologist said that ONE use of this spray - ONE could RUIN your hair if it's fine.

I'm happy for Lilypad69 and those who haven't had to regret using this product every single day for a year. I'm happy that she hasn't lost her hair. I hope she wises up soon and stops using it. Don't you dare try to blame the people who used the product CORRECTLY for this problem. You have no idea how much grief this stupid spray has caused.

Please realize that most of the positive reviews are from people who just haven't had their hair break off YET or got lucky.

15 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No