October 30, 2014 | 1686 users online

Hair Treatments - John Frieda - Go Blonder Lightening Spray

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2013 7:19:00 PM More reviews by anthriani

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Bear with me please. Bad points are coming first, but good points will follow. Promise!
(Also, sorry about the length!)

Ok firstly I should say that I am a brunette - and not a light, almost blonde, brunette. I have about medium to dark brown hair so, as stated on the packaging, this product is not made for me. According to the experts at John Frieda: Beware people like me!!!

I say this because, having read previous reviews, everyone that has had a seriously bad experience with this product seems to be a brunette of some level and - considering their level of surprise when their hair firstly doesnt go platinum and secondly becomes very fragile - I'm guessing hadn't read the warning on the box.

As such, if you are a brunette, try this at your own risk. As a warning I'll tell you that a dark haired friend of mine used this to lightenn her roots and the hairdresser banned her from dying her hair again until it had grown out and she'd cut it off (luckily she had very short hair!)

This is not my experience with it however!

I use this product to lighten the ends of my hair and make a few of my natural highlights stand out a little more - aiming for a graduating change rather than an obvious one. Basically I try aim for the hair I would have if i spent 2-3 summer months on a beach rather than in less than beachy London.

The effect I get is lovely. It takes a good few applications and some extreme straighening but the colour lightens to what i'd describe as a washed out looking brown/almost blonde colour with no brassiness.
This may not sound nice to you all but trust me, it is! And is very close to what my hair naturally does (something that other lightening/highlighting products designed for brunettes dont seem to want to do on me)

I would like to state that when I bought it two springs ago (only just finished my first bottle after almost 3 years), I used it about a handful of times over 2-3 weeks at first and then forgot about it for months at a time before using it once or twice when i remembered and wanted to raise the lightening effect up the hair and closer to my roots due to trims and growth.

I have always aimed to use it sparingly as it DOES contain peroxide and as such logically will cause some damage to anyone using it - be they blondes or brunettes. But that should be expected, The sun and even the best hairdresser would have the same effect over time - you are bleaching the colour out of your hair!

Does it dry out my ends? Yes. But so does time, the sun, products, hair styling tools and a million other things (and considering you need high heat for it to work, are you surprised?) Thats what trims, conditioners and general hair maintenance is for.

Do I get split end? again yes, but I'll be honest, firstly my hair could be in wonderful condition and still be a hot bed of split ends and secondly a weeks blow drying does far more damage to my hair than this has.

Have hairdressers run screaming from my hair with an insistance of deep conditioning treatments on a daily basis and a ban on anything but the gentlest products? Not at all!
In fact every hairdresser I have seen in the last 3 years has commented on how healthy it is (especailly considering its past-shoulderblade length)

In conclusion:
The product does exactly what it says on the box and very well. It can be harsh on the hair, but it is also a peroxide product and anyone expecting it to work like a conditioner clearly has a bad grasp of basic hair chemistry and needs to do a little more research on the subject. Use it sparingly, look after your hair as much as possible before,d uring and after you use it, and brunettes: please do not expect it to make you blonde. If you want such a drastic colour change, go to a professional.

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/21/2013 9:20:00 AM More reviews by hannahbanana13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I used this twice on my regrowth on my blonde hair, now i have orangey looking roots. I have some fly aways at the front and I don't think its worth it, I think it would look better to just have my brown hair coming threw the top than try and lighten them with this spray especially afet all the horror stories i read. I threw my bottle out defiantly not worth the ten dollars.If you want to go lighter this spray is not miracle you are better off going to a professional or buying a box kit !

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2013 2:35:00 PM More reviews by kateydub

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I agree with the reviewer a couple posts down, this product should be used sparingly! Be patient, use caution, and you'll see some results. :)

I have long blonde hair, the bottom 1/3 has been colored/bleached while the top 2/3 is all natural. So it's a very slight ombre effect going on. The winter months can get kind of drab so here's how I utilize this spray:

I'll use it once MAYBE twice a week and will always follow up at the *next* wash with Shimmer Lights conditioner. (I just mix a few drops into my regular products.) That's where I really see the pay-off with this lightening spray. It tones down any brassiness and makes the lighter strands sparkle!

I can't imagine using this every day to lighten my hair, mainly because it's just not a good styling product. I use this product on its own in damp hair because I'm wary of how it might mix with other ingredients. I like to separate my bangs/front layers and spray them from root to tip. Then I section my hair, mist a bit, and comb it through. I don't saturate my hair or concentrate it anywhere. Finally I'll run some moroccan oil through my hair when its dry. Then, again, I'll use some shimmer lights at the next wash.

I'll follow this routine for 2-3 weeks and then I'll put on a clear, demi ION glaze. I'll wait a month or so, and then use the spray again as the clear shine washes out.

It's just enough for me to brighten my hair a bit without having to use any bleach or permanent dye, think Amanda Seyfried's color. *squeal!!* But that's just me.

**Please be SO SUPER CAREFUL if you have dyed hair!! Cannot stress that enough!!**

rated 1 of 5 on 3/15/2013 9:00:00 AM More reviews by friddyc

LOVED this product when I first used it - turned my dark blonde hair a really lovely light sun-kissed blonde... and then it all went wrong... I must have used the spray maybe only five times and my hair started breaking off in chunks, I'm not even joking, I now have large sections of hair where it is no longer than five cm's long (the rest of my hair is shoulder length), its now also really dry, brittle, the gorgeous goldy colour has gone brassy yellow AND - NO HAIRDRESSER WILL DYE MY HAIR - as they're afraid even more hair will fall out because my hair is so damaged even though I stopped using this product over three months ago!! Seriously avoid this product - I was of the opinion 'it cant be that bad' after reading reviews before using it, trust me, it really is that bad!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/10/2013 7:05:00 PM More reviews by HannahRach

I know there has been a lot of negative reviews on this one but I've got a positive one! :)
I've got naturally blonde hair, it's waist length, curly and super thick. I wanted to lighten my hair a little bit a few years ago so I decided to purchase this.
I ONLY use it during the winter months when my roots are a little darker and my blonde needs a little boost. I do not use it during the summer months, you just don't need it then.
The one bottle lasts me a whole year. This is how little you need to use it.
I spray it roughly over my whole head once a week or 3 weeks during one or two winter months, and it gives me a really natural looking highlighted look! I've never had a problem with my hair falling out/breaking/splitting or getting damaged when using this product, but I do use it sparingly.
Overall I really like this product and it is SO much cheaper than getting my hair highlighted at the hairdressers!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/10/2013 10:32:00 AM More reviews by ellir02

do NOT buy this product. I am agreeing with all the negative reviews i have read on this product, and if you still have anything positive to say about it please please do not continue using it.
I started using this product with mousey brown hair and was so so happy with the results at first, its changed to a lovely, really unusual caramel shade that i was constantly getting complimented about. So i felt i had to keep using it to keep the colour as it would start to dull down if i stopped. after using it on and off for about a year i then stopped for about 6 months and its THEN that the damage started. I have always taken great care of my hair it was medium length and really thick. my hair started to go really dry and frizzy on top and no prodcts could control it, then all the frizz just completly broke off in clumps leaving me with very very short and uneven tufts of hair on the top of my head. my hair is so so fine and brittle now that i cant do anything with it without it hurting or being scared its going to break off. i have 3 bald patches too at the bottom. This product should mdefinatly come with warning labels its horrific. it shouldnt be allowed to be sold, especially seeing how many other people have had the same problem. i'd give anything to have my old hair back, you definately get what you pay for with this product, if you want your hair lightened, DO NOT USE THIS AS THE CHEAP WAY OUT!!!! pay the proper price at the hairdressers!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2013 11:40:00 AM More reviews by Mirkku

I've read a lot of negative comments about this product but I have to disagree. I must say that I've never dyed or colored my hair before in any way. This is the first product I've ever used to make my hair lighter.
Already after 3 times of using it I noticed a difference. It took the people around me a lot longer (the bottle was almost empty by then) but I consider that a good thing, to me it means that it looks really natural. I still have different shades and highlights as I had before I used this product. My hair does not feel dry at all and is in perfect condition. I've used 1 complete bottle and I'm almost satisfied with this shade, so when it's on discount again I will buy another bottle.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/5/2013 7:51:00 AM More reviews by VanillaMintt

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I personally love this product! I use it for about a week straight after getting my hair freshly highlighted, and it lightens my hair so much! I think most of the people commenting here are taking the product for advantage however. Although the product claims to contain a heat protectant, I still use heat protectants on top of it. Before I blowdry my hair, I put a quarter size amount of blow drying heat protectant and then spray this product on top in sections. After my hair is dried, I spray a heat protectant on for my straightener and then straighten my hair. REMEMBER TO USE HEAT PROTECTANT PEOPLE! and lots of it! :) Other than that, no damage is done to my hair since I take care of it extremely!

Also, for those saying it has damaged their hair so much, I have hair so thin that it's smaller than the width of a water bottle cap when it's in a ponytail, meaning I have the most damage-prone hair. And since my hair hasnt become damaged from this product, most of these reviewers are either not protecting their hair enough, or not using hair tools bought from beauty or salon stores (blow dryers, curler, straightener). And if any of you have a Chi straightener, what the heck are you doing to yourself? Chi's do not have a heat setting, therefor it only goes to one level of heat, which is way to high for anyones hair to withstand, the only reason hair dressers use Chi's at work is because they are only styling your hair once a month at the most with it. I have talked with several hair stylists and all of them refuse to have a Chi in their homes.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/27/2013 8:41:00 PM More reviews by redhd35

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Only used this once so far but love it. My highlights tend to get brassy and darker in between salon visits. I've also always wanted my base lightened a bit in my part line and around my face.

One application of this and my highlights look refreshed -minimal change to my base color. I think this will extend time between salon visits and save a lot of money.

It was a bit drying so I would not use twice in a row but I think a couple of times a month couldn't hurt and definitely would brighten the blonde.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/26/2013 1:03:00 AM More reviews by Ashleenlababee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was really loving this product ... I have naturally dark brown and have several blonde highlights I used this on my roots to blend in my color a bit .. I occasionally used it all over. It did not make my brown hair orange and made my hair blend in nicely.. But it is EXTREMELY damaging. If you are going to use this with moderation go for it but DO NOT use this more then once every two weeks cause your hair will literally fall off.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No