Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation

4.4

(BE-1, PK-1, 0C-1, 0C-2): Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Isononyl Isononanoate, Hdi/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Peg-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Pentylene Glycol, Sea Water, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, Mica, Glycerin, Phytosteryl / Octyldodecyl Lauroyl Glutamate, Sodium Chloride. Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Aluminum Hydroxide, Acrylates Polytrimethyl Siloxymethacrylate Copolymer, Butylene Glycol. Dimethicone. Phenoxyethanol, Stearic Acid, Aluminum Dimyristate, Silica, Zirconium Dioxide. Talc, Isostearyl Sebacate, Alumina, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Squalane, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Betula Alba Juice, Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Glucosyl Hesperidin, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Betula Alba Bark Extract, Kjellmaniella Gyrate Extract, Algae Extract, Alpinia Speciosa Leaf Extract, Iron Oxides

on 10/17/2012 9:05:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I LOVE this foundation. Love it, love it, love it. The finish is luminous but mattifying, and applies beautifully alone and on top of a primer. Lasts all day and doesn't break me out.

That being said, it's pricey and color-matching is difficult. I'm a brunette NW20/MUFE 117/UD 2.0 and PK-2 is a pretty close match to my skin.

I love how this looks, and I love the pump bottle. I would say this is my HG, but I'm too product-ADD to commit.

on 10/2/2012 7:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This is one of my favorite foundations! It has light-meduim coverage and gives a slightly dewy (but not overly) finish. I like to use a buffing brush (Real Techniques Buffing Brush) or a stippling brush (Mac 187) with two pumps of it. It looks like I have just gotten a facial afterwards. I hate heavy, cakey foundations and this one is definitely not that. Having acne/clog prone and combo-oily skin, I have difficulty finding a foundation that doesn't emphasize the unevenness and bumps but the KGD Aqua foundation makes my skin look a lot more smooth, even though I still need a bit of concealer afterwards. I wear shade PK-0 and am about NW10-15. This cost $62 from Sephora.com.

on 8/17/2012 3:43:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Skin type: Acne-prone; sensitive; dehydrated skin that gets *really* oily throughout the day.

Shade: OC-2 (medium skin w/ yellow undertone)

I bought this foundation because I read so many glowing reviews on various makeup blogs. I thought the price ($62) was borderline absurd for a light-coverage foundation but caved because wearing a heavy foundation everyday was starting to become a problem since it made my skin feel heavy and caked up.

Yes, the packaging is gorgeous. The bottle is a heavy glass with a frosted finish that makes it look/feel expensive and luxurious. The pump is functional and like all others, hygienic -- I must warn though: it can dispense too much put too much pressure on it, which is quite easy since the foundation is so runny.

Speaking of runny; the texture is like a slightly thicker version of water color paint. This foundation is definitely most liquid-y compared to my other foundations/BB creams (Lancome's Teint Idole 24h, Missha's Real Complete/Perfect Cover, and Revlon's Colorstay). Thankfully, it does blend very well.

Coverage-wise, this tends to run on the light-medium side. It's not completely sheer, but it doesn't cover enough to make your face completely flawless. It does get rid of most of my redness pretty well, even though it doesn't cover my red scars from previous breakouts at all.

So I have mixed effects from this foundation. When I'm in school in the east coast, I can NOT wear this foundation. In literally 2 hours, it completely disappears on my face. Even during the winter (when I bought this foundation), it did not last beyond a couple of hours, when topped with powder and a skin-finishing mist (skindinavia). However, now that I'm back in the west coast and it's really dry, I wear this foundation daily because it's the only one that my skin can breathe in. In fact, this foundation lasts about 4 hours on my skin here with a skin-finishing mist. Even when I'm out in the intense sunlight for 2+ hours for volunteer work, this foundation still manages to look natural and is actually still on my face (LOL). I think the humidity + natural skin oil on my face dissolves this foundation like no other, so take these words with a grain of salt all those who live in humid areas with oily skin!

One thing that I really like about this foundation is that unlike other foundations, it does not make my face patchy at the end of the day! Because I have dehydrated skin, foundations tend to grab a hold on to those annoying flaky pieces of skin and intensify their gross-ness by the end of the day. This holds especially true because most foundations that I own are very mattifying. In addition, it does not break me out. Thank goodness Koh Gen Do was wise enough to leave out heavy fragrances from this product!

So is this foundation worth the money? If you don't battle hormonal zits that pop up once a month and leave red scars all over your skin, then this foundation will definitely work for you. Especially, if you're looking for a lighter-feeling splurge item. However, to be completely honest here, most companies are starting to come out with great light foundations now and I suggest trying those first before buying this one. I still think $62 is *A LOT* to spend on one foundation.

on 8/16/2012 10:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I do have to admit that this foundation looks pretty flawless, upon application. However, if you sweat just a little, your face may end up looking more like a horror show. This must be a water based foundie, that's the only thing I can come up with for it not lasting when water or sweat gets introduced. Shu Uemura's Face Architect is similar, in that it fades fast, is water based, and has similar coverage/texture.

Color Matching:
I did, and do like this foundation, and that's why I tried 4 or 5 colors before settling on one. I'm light-med, with yellow/warm undertones. PK-1 maybe the most neutral of the line, besides BE-1. PK-1 was very close to my level, but the tone was a bit off, making me look grey and sickly. PK-2 isn't much darker than PK-1, but it's much more pink. OC-1 is light yellow, but not as light as PK-1. The yellow in OC-1 isn't as yellow as say Shu Uemura's foundations. OC-2 is warm to almost brown and is a huge step from OC-1, especially in comparison to PK-1 & PK-2. I ened up with loving OC-1.

In summary, I really like this foundation, but it's not conducive to heat, exertion, warmth, or any sweating. This is even after I tried different setting/matte powders. It made no difference. I may retry it at a latter time with a drawer find (Mac Prep+Prime 50SPF). At the moment, I'm in sunny California and it's still summer. I'm heading to South/Central America, where I know this will be a hot mess, pun not intended.

Negatives: Wearbility, Access to the product for a proper color match, the pump gets messy fast.

Pros: Gorgeous and easy application/look. I did end up finding a color match. This is a Asian brand, so yellow toned girls rejoice. Covers well (even light acne, concealer for the rest) and is buildable, without looking cakey or greasy.

It's being drawered for now, with the expectation that winter will be the best fit for me and this foundation.

on 8/7/2012 12:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

The coverage is beautiful and I love how natural this product is compared to most foundations. Unfortunately, and unsurprisingly, this does not suit girls with cool undertones to their skin.

on 5/9/2012 1:07:00 PM

BE-1 worked for me (I was matched to NC15 on Mac pro concealer). I have not used foundation extensively and compared this with the same brand OC-1. I tried both during evening light and morning, BE-1 looked less yellow and blended in more naturally with my skin. The coverage of this is just as advertised: medium/light. It does not look like one is wearing foundation on the face, does not smell, is not oily, does not crease, and lasts all day. It blended well with MAC prep+prime highlighter Light Boost which I use for under-eye concealer.

I use it after moisturizer and MAC Fix+ spray. I apply it with sephora poudre 55 airbrush, dispensing a small pea-sized amount of the product on the side of the hand first, blend it out from center of forehead and nose area.

on 4/29/2012 5:20:00 PM

Me: 40s, with generally good, combo skin, a bit of redness on cheeks, large pores on nose, which most liquid foundations seem to enjoy calling attention to.
This foundation cost $65, which seems about average to me for a high-end foundation. There are not that many shades to choose from, but PK-1 was a good match for me (in the recent past, I've used Chantcaille powder foundation in Peach and Diorskin in 021). As others have noted, this is very light coverage, more like a tinted moisturizer. It evens out my skin beautifully, and doesn't highlight my pores at all. It feels great on my skin and gives a slightly dewy look; I set my t-zone with powder.
The only downside is that this doesn't have great lasting power. I didn't buy it for heavy duty coverage, so this doesn't bother me too much, but I would probably use a different foundation if I were going out at night or really needed coverage to last. I have liked most of the products I've tried from the Koh Gen Do line, so I might give their medium coverage foundation a whirl as well.

on 4/28/2012 11:26:00 AM

Lovely foundation. Goes on beautifully, leaves a lovely finish, polished but not dewy nor matte; just perfect. Have it in the lightest shade.. sadly, it oxidized and turned orange on me. I'll keep on looking....

This is one of the best foundation I've used. It's a sheer foundation with a buildable coverage, which is great for concealing my acne scars without the heavy cakey look. It applies smoothly, covers my large pores and is super natural looking. My favorite part is that it incorporate skin care into cosmetic and leaves my skin hydrated and smooth even after removal. The price is a bit high but it's worth it!

on 4/21/2012 3:02:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I bought this in Japan after having read so many positive reviews about it. I've tried it with and without a primer. The results were the same.

The foundation is sheer and very light on the skin. It feels very comfortable, like you have no makeup on. However, it would start to fade after a few hours, leaving my skin with a slight orange cast. This does not happen with the Koh Gen Do Maifanshi Moisture foundation which has better coverage and is moisturizing as well. Even my NARS tinted moisturizer holds up better than this. I really wanted to like it because it feels so good on my skin (plus I paid so much for it!) I still do wear it though when I'm going out for a few hours. I add it to my moisturizer to even out my skintone. When I want something that lasts the day, I use another foundation.