September 23, 2014 | 1636 users online

Toners - Paula's Choice - RESIST Advanced Replenishing Toner Skin Remodeling Complex

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2011 2:12:00 PM More reviews by lindsayloohoo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I would repurchase this product. It's not part of my everyday regimen, but I still consider it an essential treatment if I have dry skin (like after Retin-A treatments or in the winter).

Background: I have normal/combo (slightly dry/slightly oily depending on season) acne-prone skin that has dramatically improved since I've been more diligent about potentially irritating ingredients (ie alcohol). I don't have sensitive skin in the conventional sense - my skin is very tolerant of products. However, I would breakout consistently using anything even just remotely not suggested for acne-prone skin. Before buying a product I refer to beautypedia.com, the cosmetic ingredient dictionary (on same site), and MUA! My acne used to be the painful bumps under the skin that would take weeks to surface. Since using Paula's Choice products I only get the occassional spot. My current skincare regimen is used in tandem with regular workouts. For me, this alleviated all hormonal breakouts (because working out balances your hormones, and sweating changes the PH of your skin - don't know if the PH part matters for acne though).

Usage: I apply this liquid toner directly into my hands and apply to my face in order to avoid product waste. I don't use this regularly - but rather as a treatment whenever my skin is dry. I use a BHA exfoliant (2% liquid from this line) regularly, but I also use this toner in tandem with a once weekly 10% AHA and Retin-A treatment. I find my skin really likes this switch up, and I'll use the Resist toner during these once a week treatments for some beneficial-ingredient variety. I do still use a moisturizer with this because I mainly use this toner at night and I like to double up on beneficial ingredients and apply more emollient products at that time. I don't like that there's no compatible spray nozzle (from PC - haven't tried to find one from somewhere else yet) to go with this toner. Since I put the product directly into my hands, the spray gives me more control over how much product I'm dispensing.

Results: This does not cause me to breakout! This is a more moisturizing toner, so I do reach for it more frequently in the winter. It's a milky, thicker consistency which really boosts my skin if it's looking dull. Used in conjunction with a moisturizer, it definitely alleviates dry skin more quickly than without.

It does help with redness, inflammation, and dryness. This is why I tried it to begin with! I've tried all of the PC toners, and I have the Balancing toner for daily use, and this one in those special circumstances that I've stated. I do avoid using this if I've had a breakout, because I use less emollient products at such a time. This toner isn't really targeted to my skin type, but it is MUCH better than any of her dry skin toners, IMO. Keep in mind my specific skintype, however (combo-slightly oily), and that I also use this in specific circumstances as a sort of 'rescue/treatment' item. Mainly, if you are a normal/combo or slightly oily person looking for the same type of product - this is worth a try.

FYI - I've tried the Skin Recovery Toner (which is closest in target skintype/consistency) in this line and really didn't like it. For dry skin, I much prefer this toner even though it's more expensive. Currently, it's $18.95 for 4oz.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/28/2011 4:48:00 PM More reviews by valentynka

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

plus
great ingredients, [rates low - 3 on EWG]
cons
gave me rash

I wanted to use this instead of moisturizer at night - being so hot&humid, at first it made my face very smooth, soft, unfortunately my finicky, sensitive skin reacted to it after few uses

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2011 6:51:00 AM More reviews by lygophilia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Absolutely amazing and awesome product that I have repurchased as I consider it to be my HG toner and a staple in my skin care routine. This is a multipurpose and multitasking product as it removes traces of my leftover makeup, provides my skin with anti-aging ingredients, hydrates, and leaves my skin feeling so smooth and soft. My combination skin never feels irritated, dried out, or greasy. Also it's fragrance free and alcohol free.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/24/2011 6:36:00 PM More reviews by NickelEmily

This is a very soothing toner that provides light moisturization. I was surprised how much I liked it, given I have been such a devotee of the PC skin balancing toner. But this has found a place in my daily arsenal--and I now use the skin balancing at night and the refresh toner in the morning. If my skin feels particularly hot and/or bothered, I will also use this. Somehow it calms my skin quite well. The toner has a different texture. It's not as thin as watery toners but not thick enough to be a gel. It's somewhere in between and is a cloudy/millky color. As always, no colorants and no frangrances. This product would be good for all skin types.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2011 10:46:00 PM More reviews by mistermark

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

There was a time a few months ago when at the age of 34, despite my daily use of and re-application of sunscreen, the skin on my face just wasn't looking as "fresh" as it used to. I searched high and low for a new product to add to my antioxidant-based skincare regime hoping to improve the situation, but nothing seemed to be making much of a difference. Was it time for a visit to the dermatologist? Well, that's never really been my style so I opted out of that idea. I soon stumbled upon this toner and am glad to say that it has made a significant difference in the look of my skin. The ruddiness that I seem to get in the warmer Summer months has been minimized. There's less oil production on my T-zone. Above all, my skin seems a lot more calm. Sure, it's not a professional laser treatment or plastic surgery in a bottle, but for $18.00 you could do a lot worse. Really like this product and it's great as an aftershave for a man (before applying your sunscreen).

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2011 2:35:00 PM More reviews by citylady

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This feels soothing to my skin even when my eczema is flaring up. My skin is very dry in the winter but can get shiny in Summer. This doesn't make it feel oily or greasy at all, just smooth and soothed.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2011 4:07:00 PM More reviews by ShailahJade

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've always hated toners, and I broke out from a different PC toner so I wasn't sure about this one when I ordered it. I was so happy I did! This goes on silky smooth, and you don't need a lot of it for the entire face. I love it! The only bad thing about it is the price. It's worth it though.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2011 8:49:00 PM More reviews by Andio

I've seen this product on Paula's web site and was intrigued. The ingredients made it sound phenomenal. I wanted to see if you could buy a spray or pump for this, as I have a spray top for the skin balancing toner. I called and was informed that there was no alternate top for this product. While on the phone, we started talking about this product. The girl said it was thick and milky. I told her my skin typed combo, rosacea, acne prone, with sun damage and dark spots. She said I would be happier with skin recovery toner. I went against her judgment and ordered the resist toner anyway. She said she would send some of the other toner and that I had 60 days to use the resist and return if I did not like. Well, I am so glad I ordered this! It is amazing. I use this on my DHC silky cotton pads and apply after cleansing am and pm. It is not too thick and I am sure you could use a sprayer. It comes out nicely with the little hole so I am going to continue to use it just like it is. My skin has never been happier. I will update after a month and see just how this little gem holds up. If all goes well, this will be a HG!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2011 3:31:00 PM More reviews by ca_sent_beau

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Calling this product simply a "toner" is unfair. It has so many great ingredients for skin, much much better than most serums or other treatments out there. It is a milky white, thick liquid which feels very soothing and moisturizing without the feel of heavy. It is similar to Paula's Skin Recovery Toner, but much thicker, almost like a very thin cream-gel. I no longer need an emollient moisturizer to keep my skin happy, but also have not experienced any clogging. I have been using this toner twice daily, with the rest of the Resist line for almost a month now. Visible difference in my skin - the way it looks, the way it feels and the way it behaves. Highly, highly, highly recommended. Paula really, truly outdid herself with the new Resist line. Regarding the price, it costs $18.95 for 4 ounces. Definitely pricier than her other offerings. But I have no complaints, I feel that I got my money's worth! Will definitely repurchase.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2011 12:50:00 AM More reviews by emmgill

This is an amazing toner! It is a milky white formula! This sinks into my skin instantly and it feels so soothing and refreshing going on! I think I might have finally found a toner my skin actually likes!

UPDATE: Damn, not again. There is something in this which clogges my pores. it doesn't cause breakouts, but I get 'clogged pores' where I get small white bumps. They went away really quickly after i stopped using this. Bummer.......up for a swap.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No