Paula's Choice RESIST Advanced Replenishing Toner Skin Remodeling Complex

4.2

Not tested on animals

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane (silicone-based skin-conditioning agent), Glycerin (skin-identical ingredient), Glycerth-26 (emollient), Dimethiconol (silicone-based skin-conditioning agent), Linoleic Acid, Oleic Acid, Linolenic Acid (essential fatty acids/cell-communicating ingredients), Phospholipids (skin-identical ingredient), Carnosine (cell-communicating ingredient), Epigallocatechin Gallate, Genistein (antioxidants), Sodium Hyaluronate, Sphingolipids (skin-identical ingredients), Ferulic Acid (antioxidant), Laurdimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Soy Protein (skin-conditioning agent), Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract (anti-irritant), Acetyl Glucosamine (water-binding agent), Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidant), Ascorbyl Palmitate (stabilized vitamin C/antioxidant), Quercetin (antioxidant), Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil (non-fragrant plant oil), Beta Vulgaris (Beet) Root Extract, Curcubita Pepo (Pumpkin) Seed Extract (antioxidants), Lecithin (cell-communicating ingredient), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (emollient), Hydrolyzed Corn Starch (opacifying agent), Polysorbate 20 (stabilizer), Hydrogenated Lecithin (cell-communicating ingredient), Butylene Glycol (slip agent), Cellulose Gum (thickener), Laureth-23 (cleansing agent), Laureth-4 (emulsifier), Aminomethyl Propanol (pH adjuster), Disodium EDTA (stabilizer), Sorbic Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Benzoic Acid, Chlorphenesin, Phenoxyethanol (preservatives).

on 1/13/2012 9:01:00 PM

I have read and listened to Paula since the early 80's, I don't agree that she put her foot in her mouth when she said toners were unnecessary and then marketed one. At the time she made that statement, virtually all toners on the market were loaded with alcohol and irritating ingredients, that's what she was objecting to.
This product is called a toner, but I find it to really be more of a very light liquid moisturizer and anti-irritant. I like it, but it's probably the least necessary step if you are already using another one of her moisturizers.

on 11/15/2011 6:12:00 AM

I like this toner very much! I've been looking for a treatment product that doesn't irritate my sensitive skin, and this fits the bill. I know this probably isn't as good as using a dedicated antioxidant serum, but often those will break me out or exacerbate my rosacea. This toner has some antioxidants and is very comfortable to use. I think the price is fairly reasonable.

I don't notice a bad smell like some other reviewers have, but I do agree that the packaging makes it a bit hard to dispense the toner. I'd like to be able to control the amount of product that comes out. I don't often use a cotton pad, I generally just shake a bit of the toner onto my fingertips and smooth it onto my face. The consistency is just milky enough to be able to apply it that way. This is enough of a moisturizer for me in the evenings.

Happy camper!

on 9/27/2011 11:30:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I have been watching Paula Begoun when she appeared on TV in the 1980s, I was a true believer of her philosphy then & bought a couple of her books. Although I don't remember literally what she said but she did refer to toners & masks as useless in terms of skin care.
I tried the sample (2) and I agreed, wholeheartedly, it didn't hurt, but I can certainly skip this step without regret.
Once again she put her foot in her mouth.

on 9/27/2011 5:37:00 PM

I rub this into my face as soon as I finish washing and drying to keep from feeling that post-wash tightness. I also feel like this is part of the solution to combating Retin-A triggered irritation - especially around my nose. I like this product, but probably more for what it prevents than what I actually see it accomplish. I'm on my second bottle.

on 9/26/2011 8:39:00 PM

I just started using the entire RESIST line about 3 weeks ago and this is definitely my favorite product of the bunch. Very soothing and though I originally found the smell strange I now like it, I even find myself looking forward to it. I apply is with fingertips immediately after cleansing. I used to use LM Perfecting Water - Rich and I prefer this for the ingredients. also had a really positive experience with the PC customer support regarding a defective top. I will continue to repurchase.
----Edit 9/2/2012---- I've been using this for a year now and I think it's one of the most valuable skincare products I've ever used. I don't really use it as others typically use toners; I use it right out of the shower to lock in moisture and to soothe my skin after exfoliating. In fact, when I've overdone it with the AHAs, retinol, vitamin C, and scrubs, this is the only thing I can put on my face that not only doesn't burn, but calms down irritation immediately. I love the ingredients and I think it makes a big difference in the overall health of my skin. Highly recommended

on 9/18/2011 5:34:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

My HG for toner. Doesn't have any alcohol, fragrance, or witch hazel-- all these irritate my skin.Can't find a toner w/out these ingredients anywhere-- dept. store/ drug store. On my 6th bottle! Leaves skin soft and ready for makeup or other products.

on 8/31/2011 12:28:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

It is possible I got a bad bottle, but this toner smells like pee to me. Literally it smells like urine.

I only used it once because the smell was just revolting to me. Very sad since it seems to get great reviews.

I would repurchase this product. It's not part of my everyday regimen, but I still consider it an essential treatment if I have dry skin (like after Retin-A treatments or in the winter).

Background: I have normal/combo (slightly dry/slightly oily depending on season) acne-prone skin that has dramatically improved since I've been more diligent about potentially irritating ingredients (ie alcohol). I don't have sensitive skin in the conventional sense - my skin is very tolerant of products. However, I would breakout consistently using anything even just remotely not suggested for acne-prone skin. Before buying a product I refer to beautypedia.com, the cosmetic ingredient dictionary (on same site), and MUA! My acne used to be the painful bumps under the skin that would take weeks to surface. Since using Paula's Choice products I only get the occassional spot. My current skincare regimen is used in tandem with regular workouts. For me, this alleviated all hormonal breakouts (because working out balances your hormones, and sweating changes the PH of your skin - don't know if the PH part matters for acne though).

Usage: I apply this liquid toner directly into my hands and apply to my face in order to avoid product waste. I don't use this regularly - but rather as a treatment whenever my skin is dry. I use a BHA exfoliant (2% liquid from this line) regularly, but I also use this toner in tandem with a once weekly 10% AHA and Retin-A treatment. I find my skin really likes this switch up, and I'll use the Resist toner during these once a week treatments for some beneficial-ingredient variety. I do still use a moisturizer with this because I mainly use this toner at night and I like to double up on beneficial ingredients and apply more emollient products at that time. I don't like that there's no compatible spray nozzle (from PC - haven't tried to find one from somewhere else yet) to go with this toner. Since I put the product directly into my hands, the spray gives me more control over how much product I'm dispensing.

Results: This does not cause me to breakout! This is a more moisturizing toner, so I do reach for it more frequently in the winter. It's a milky, thicker consistency which really boosts my skin if it's looking dull. Used in conjunction with a moisturizer, it definitely alleviates dry skin more quickly than without.

It does help with redness, inflammation, and dryness. This is why I tried it to begin with! I've tried all of the PC toners, and I have the Balancing toner for daily use, and this one in those special circumstances that I've stated. I do avoid using this if I've had a breakout, because I use less emollient products at such a time. This toner isn't really targeted to my skin type, but it is MUCH better than any of her dry skin toners, IMO. Keep in mind my specific skintype, however (combo-slightly oily), and that I also use this in specific circumstances as a sort of 'rescue/treatment' item. Mainly, if you are a normal/combo or slightly oily person looking for the same type of product - this is worth a try.

FYI - I've tried the Skin Recovery Toner (which is closest in target skintype/consistency) in this line and really didn't like it. For dry skin, I much prefer this toner even though it's more expensive. Currently, it's $18.95 for 4oz.

on 7/28/2011 4:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

plus
great ingredients, [rates low - 3 on EWG]
cons
gave me rash

I wanted to use this instead of moisturizer at night - being so hot&humid, at first it made my face very smooth, soft, unfortunately my finicky, sensitive skin reacted to it after few uses

on 7/22/2011 6:51:00 AM

Absolutely amazing and awesome product that I have repurchased as I consider it to be my HG toner and a staple in my skin care routine. This is a multipurpose and multitasking product as it removes traces of my leftover makeup, provides my skin with anti-aging ingredients, hydrates, and leaves my skin feeling so smooth and soft. My combination skin never feels irritated, dried out, or greasy. Also it's fragrance free and alcohol free.