April 18, 2014 | 1928 users online

Mascara - Shiseido - Nourishing Mascara Base

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2012 7:29:00 AM More reviews by Andee

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have never used a mascara base before. After complaining that my beloved Shu Basic Mascara had been discontinued and could not find any mascara that held a curl, a few members suggested this product. THANK YOU!

Wow. I would not dream of applying mascara without applying this first. The curl I get from my Shu curler now lasts all day!

Bonus: I just use this on my bottom lashes and don't apply any mascara on the bottom anymore so no more smudge to constantly remove. Even though there is no color, it defines my lower lashes.

The product does seem to last forever. I only replaced my first tube after about 6 months because it was getting a bit gunky.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2012 8:18:00 PM More reviews by AriSatomi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I don't really find this base *that* amazing. Comparing the lashes that are coated by the base to my normal lashes (which are short and straight), I see a slight difference. It really doesn't give me the false lash look, and I don't find it to be that extremely necessary of a product for me. The time it takes me to curl my lashes, put on the primer, wait for it to set, put on the mascara, layer the mascara and finally combing the lashes through really takes a toll on my mornings. I already have enough things to do in a morning, and I live an hour away from school, so I really don't want to spend more than 3 min on mascara. If I really want my lashes to stand out, I just put on a pair of falsies. They last all day, never smudge, and takes me half a minute to do both eyes. I guess I'm lazy, but I really don't think this base it that special. It does hold a curl, lengthens slightly and gives my lashes a bit of volume, but I wouldn't mind if I wasn't wearing it. If you really want to make a difference, I say try Latisse or Careprost, or even Revitalash, instead of these things that last for a day and takes up loads of time in your routine. Castor oil is also good to nourish your lashes so that they grow longer. The packaging of this thing is absolutely hideous! I thought it would look like the Shiseido mascaras, but no such luck! It looks like the most boring tube, its level of boredom is right after Bobbi Brown. I think that when you're paying the company over 20$ for a product, it should at least have some nice prints or designs on it, non? Overall I will not repurchase the product, and I will not recommend it unless you have all the time in the world to do your makeup every, single, morning. Then again, mascara is one of the most variable things in a makeup routine, so YMMV. I'm just giving my opinion on the product as I really do not think it's *that* good.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2012 4:05:00 AM More reviews by dizzielittlerascal

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is one fabulous primer for lashes. I have used primers in the past but because they tended to be white primers, I could never get them to look right, plus they used to make my lashes quite stiff. Not with this primer. It goes on fairly clear (as long as you don't use too much of it), then do not let it set, just let it go slightly tacky, then apply mascara. This only takes a few seconds to go tacky too, which means no waiting around. To me, this makes my lashes very full (I have quite sparse lashes), and I do not experience any clumpiness at all. I do feel it does condition my lashes too - I have experienced less lash fallout during the two months I have used it. I am still on my original wand, so don't know how much longer it will last as I use it almost every day. The only negative thing I would say is that it does make mascara a little harder to take off at the end of the day.
This is rather expensive (around 20 in the UK) but to me I really do feel, this time, you really do get what you pay for :o)
Edit: Jan 2013 Yes, this is till rather spendy but I am still using my first tube and have had it 6 months + (almost daily usage) and it is still going strong.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2012 10:30:00 PM More reviews by Gabster90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I never tried the original mascara base so I'm not going to be hard on this review. I curl my poker straight lashes and I apply this base. Woah, it's a miracle! My lashes did not uncurl! I don't notice any physical difference with the base improving the mascaras I wear. For some reason it makes it easier to remove mascara from my lashes. But what I do notice is the my lashes are much softer and stronger now then when I never used the base. I don't buy a lot of high end items, especially make-up but this primer (or base) is a must buy for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/23/2012 10:59:00 PM More reviews by Becky12

Had to try this because of the reviews. Just to warn, this stuff plus waterproof mascara on top equals VERY waterproof. I tried putting the base on, waiting a minute, then putting on mascara and it was a mess. I had tons of those weird pointies (those things that stick out in odd directions) on the tips of my lashes. Not good. Then, I tried not allowing the base to dry whatsoever. That worked alright. I noticed a little more length on my lashes, but it wasn't amazing. I'm actually split on whether I'd buy this again. BTW, unlike other bases this is a smooth, clear gel.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2012 7:56:00 PM More reviews by THEqu33nb

Still on my first tube, I received this as a sample first, tried it out on my short asian lashes and this worked great, it separated my lashes individually and made prepped them before i applied my shisiedo mascara...since then i'VE TRIED OTHER mascara bases from lancome, clinique, this is still my favorite..the brush is the perfect size for my bottom lashes as well...never touches my skin..

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2012 11:26:00 AM More reviews by kimberleyban

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have never felt a need to review a product before this one. This is by far the BEST primer on the market! I have tried Clinique, Lancome, MAC, Estee Lauder to name a few. I have very short fine lashes that will not hold a curl. After reading the reviews I figured what the heck I'll give this one a shot. WOW!!!! My lashes look AMAZING!! The primer holds the curl and makes my mascara go on beautifully in only one coat. It is a little pricy but I'd pay double for what this has done for my lashes and in the long run it'll save me $$ on buying different mascara's looking for THE one! Looks like I've found it!!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/28/2012 9:47:00 PM More reviews by BeaverCleaverReturns

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Works just as well as the old formula for me. I have found any significant difference in the performance. I love that it hold the curl in my lashes and prevents mascara from running/smudging. Adds some length and volume, too.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2012 1:59:00 PM More reviews by ibraille

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This does not compare to the original formula. At best this holds a curl fabulously, but I can accomplish that with a waterproof mascara. This adds ok length, but it did nothing for volume like the old formula. This really works no better than using a lengthening waterproof mascara as a base then following with a second masacra. I can get the same effect for under $10.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2012 1:27:00 AM More reviews by soniaemily

I'm not very experimental with make up mainly because I like the simple but put together look with neutrals AND because I understand makeup to girls is like tech tools is to guys, impossible (figuratively speaking) to keep up with and can be very expensive. So I keep whatever works for me and am very loyal to it with the occasional straying which more often than not disappoints. So yeay to product loyalty and money saving.

So I mention money saving quite a bit here because this was SUCH a novelty idea to me. A mascara base? Really? Needless to say I tried the UD primer potion and didn't think it was necessary at all. So like every case of 'I finally caved in', it was due to rave reviews...and so I caved in and got myself this nourishing mascara base.

For some reason, I wasn't as skeptical with this product. Not sure why, but I was very excited. This paired with Lancome's L'Extreme mascara and BAM! I have the longest non false lashes I have ever seen myself have my entire life! LOVE! I first curl my lashes, use the base, then the mascara and when my lashes have 'set' I use a heated lash curler to just lift it a bit more and to push the tips down to have them curl (hard to describe). It adds a bit of volume to the L'Extreme which is specifically for lengthening which is great too!

Definitely an HG routine I'm sticking to for a VERY long time.