Shiseido Nourishing Mascara Base

4.3

on 11/29/2012 11:46:00 PM

I have tried tons of primers and I must say I am in LOVE!
I like this base for several reasons:
1- It goes on clear, so whatever mascara you wear you will be fine! No need to tons of coats.
2- It isn't hard. This is not like Lancome's base. This is very smooth, soft and nourishing.
3- It helps curling. If you have curl-resistant eyelashes this is worth trying. Curl, apply and apply mascara right on top. You will get great eyelashes.
4- Not hard to remove. Again! not your heavy white stuff! This actually breaks down easily with makeup remover, but resists humidity and heat.

LOVE LOVE LOVE

..................................................
Update:
After 6 months with this product I continue to love it and recommend it to everyone who has short and curl-resistant eye lashes.

on 11/25/2012 9:01:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

On my second tube now :)
One that I bought as the comments here convinced me to try it and have not regret yet :)

It's better to apply mascara after it dried and it makes my lashes stayed curled + a super powerful volume!

Lately I notice my lashes are fuller n longer? Is it due to the use of this? This I do not know but yes, definitely a repurchase for this product.

on 11/9/2012 12:28:00 PM

This stuff is totally awesome. I would buy this over and over it really makes bad mascara look awesome, it lifts up your lashes and makes the mascara stay fresh all day I TRUELY LOVE THIS .. well worth the money that is for sure

on 10/8/2012 8:32:00 PM

This base isn't quite as good as the discontinued makeup mascara base, but it's still pretty great. Adds fullness and definition, and makes non-waterproof mascara last longer and hold curl better in my opinion. Even better when you use it with waterproof mascara even though that's tough on your lashes with daily use. On my fifth one and will continue to purchase even though it's a little pricy.

on 10/5/2012 11:07:00 PM

Ladies (and Gents), I have found my HG lash primer! I was really on the fence about purchasing this lash primer, especially since every single one I have ever bought didn't do much for my straight Asian lashes. I finally took the plunge and bought this. Since then, I have never looked back. It keeps my lashes curled all day, which has never happened before. I have tried the FairyDrops mascara (the original one) which helped the curl, but not as well as this one did. Anyways, I say its completely worth the money if you need help keeping your lashes curled. Also, I've been using this primer/base for about two months now and I've noticed significant lengthening of my lashes.

Also, after reading the reviews here, I have tried putting mascara on right after the base and also after the base has dried. I find that both ways work well and I don't have a preference.

on 9/28/2012 11:41:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This product is amazing. Simply amazing. I like my lashes huge- the bigger the better, I dont do subtle when it comes to my lashes. I want lashes that can be seen from space, and this product gives them to me! I initially bought it due to various people raving about it on the boards and I admit, I was skeptical. Ive tried lash primers before- Dior being the best one until now. They always gave a little bit of oomph but nothing spectacular and certainly nothing to justify spending 20/30. This one is a white thin liquid in a basic black tube. When I first put it on I thought "meh- what the hell is this gonna do- its so thin and I can barely see it on my lashes". Then, I applied my normal mascara. WOW! My mascara glided on with the silky smoothness of melted caramel and the length and thickness of each lash was just stunning. It makes me look like I have proper doll lashes- you know the ones- ridiculously long, glossy, black and fluttery. It keeps my lashes in exactly the position I want- if I want them long and straight I just use it in long straight strokes. If I want them curled, I use a curler and it keeps them exactly in position until I remove my eye makeup. I am still rather stunned that such an unimpressive looking product can give such marvellous results but it totally does. If you want to condition your lashes and want them looking long, thick and lucious then you simply must try this product. Its awesome.

on 9/13/2012 9:09:00 PM

Ever since a colleague rec'd this base, I have been purchasing them as gifts for all the girls I know. $25 for something that rocks? My girlfriends couldn't thank me enough.

I always thought, no mascara base would ever thicken, lengthen Asian eyelashes & keep them curled all day. This base is light-weight, goes on clear. You could even just use the base without mascara for a lazy or "running late to work" day.

Application: I've done this two ways. 1. Apply mascara immediately after applying makeup base & 2. Wait for base to dry & apply mascara. Method 1 works best for me. When I wait for the base to dry, it makes applying the mascara more difficult.

Packaging: thin & light. The way the brush is made really helps me separate any lashes sticking together.

One of two things I always rec & can actually say I love & buy over and over again.

on 8/28/2012 12:21:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Okay, so I recently started using eyelash curlers and decided to purchase the Shiseido, which is pretty good. I decided that I wanted to keep the curl in my lashes, so I purchased this base as well. On top, I wanted to put Lancome Hypnose Doll Lashes, which gives a slight curl and fluttery-ness that I like. I also bought Lancome's mascara base, Cils Booster XL for comparison.

In my experience with this base, it underperformed when compared with the Lancome. My eyelashes are incredibly thick, I need more help with length and curl. This added volume, which lead to clumpier application of my mascara. It also added very little length, which Lancome's Cils Booster excels at (seriously, try it out for length and separation).

What I do love about this is that it did seem to keep the curl from my Shiseido curler a bit better than Lancome's did. But honestly, that doesn't overrule all of the negatives it had for me.

I have to stress that this base did not work for ME, with my current mascara of choice, Lancome Doll Lashes. Maybe with another mascara, it would work better. I'm not putting this product down because I know others would prefer it to Lancome's.

One tip that I found on here in regards to this: Use one swipe. Then maybe do the tips a little. That's really it. Anymore, and it will be way too clumpy.

on 8/18/2012 7:29:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have never used a mascara base before. After complaining that my beloved Shu Basic Mascara had been discontinued and could not find any mascara that held a curl, a few members suggested this product. THANK YOU!

Wow. I would not dream of applying mascara without applying this first. The curl I get from my Shu curler now lasts all day!

Bonus: I just use this on my bottom lashes and don't apply any mascara on the bottom anymore so no more smudge to constantly remove. Even though there is no color, it defines my lower lashes.

The product does seem to last forever. I only replaced my first tube after about 6 months because it was getting a bit gunky.

on 8/16/2012 8:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I don't really find this base *that* amazing. Comparing the lashes that are coated by the base to my normal lashes (which are short and straight), I see a slight difference. It really doesn't give me the false lash look, and I don't find it to be that extremely necessary of a product for me. The time it takes me to curl my lashes, put on the primer, wait for it to set, put on the mascara, layer the mascara and finally combing the lashes through really takes a toll on my mornings. I already have enough things to do in a morning, and I live an hour away from school, so I really don't want to spend more than 3 min on mascara. If I really want my lashes to stand out, I just put on a pair of falsies. They last all day, never smudge, and takes me half a minute to do both eyes. I guess I'm lazy, but I really don't think this base it that special. It does hold a curl, lengthens slightly and gives my lashes a bit of volume, but I wouldn't mind if I wasn't wearing it. If you really want to make a difference, I say try Latisse or Careprost, or even Revitalash, instead of these things that last for a day and takes up loads of time in your routine. Castor oil is also good to nourish your lashes so that they grow longer. The packaging of this thing is absolutely hideous! I thought it would look like the Shiseido mascaras, but no such luck! It looks like the most boring tube, its level of boredom is right after Bobbi Brown. I think that when you're paying the company over 20$ for a product, it should at least have some nice prints or designs on it, non? Overall I will not repurchase the product, and I will not recommend it unless you have all the time in the world to do your makeup every, single, morning. Then again, mascara is one of the most variable things in a makeup routine, so YMMV. I'm just giving my opinion on the product as I really do not think it's *that* good.

Top Rated Shiseido Products