Pur Minerals Pressed Powder Foundation

3.9

ORIGINAL FORMULATION: Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide 8%; Inactive Ingredients:Mica, Boron Nitride, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Bismuth Oxychloride, Zinc Stearate, Magnesium Silicate, Magnesium Carbonate, Silica, Shea Butter (Butyrospermum Parkii), Tocopheryl Acetate, Iron Oxides. May contain: Ultramarines NEW FORMULATION: Ingredients Mica, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Boron Nitride, Bismuth Oxychloride, Zinc Stearate, Magnesium Silicate, Sodium Starch Octenylsuccinate, Mannitol, Sodium Gluconate, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Waltheria Indica Leaf Extract, Dextrin, Ferulic Acid, L-Lactic Acid, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Silica, Thioctic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Retinol, L-Ascorbic Acid, Ceramide 6 II, Magnolia Officinalis Bark Extract, Vitis Vinifera/Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Tocopherol, Lecithin, Maltodextrin, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Skin, Glycerin, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5, L-Glutathione, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Hydrated Silica, Tocopheryl Acetate, Aqua, Glucosamine HCI, Pisum Sativum (Pea) Extract, Bambusa Vulgaris Leaf/Stem Extract, Magnesium Carbonate, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499). May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Ultramarine (CI 77007)

on 8/8/2012 8:15:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

I was a devoted BE user for 5 years, but switched to MAC Studio Fluid Fix (NC 37) when I realized BE didn't match my skintone or cover the way it had in the past. While I love my MAC SFF, I hate how heavy it is on my face. After extensive research for a great mineral makeup, I discovered Pur Minerals. I ordered the Start Now kit (the new Pur formula) from Ulta, in light tan. I wanted to have the brush to apply the makeup, but I also noticed a lot of people complaining about the chisel brush shedding and being scratchy. So as a back up, I bought ELF's flat top brush. I prepared my face by scrubbing off the dry flakes, putting on my Olay Regenerist serum (eyes and face), and my Cetaphil lotion. I applied my Glamoflauge concealer under my eyes and waited 10 min. for my moisturizer to soak in. Once I started applying the makeup with the chisel brush, I was so happy that I had spent the $3 on the ELF flat top one. The chisel brush was awful. The ELF one did a great job with layering on the Pur Minerals. After I'd applied 2-3 layers, I used my BE maximum concealer brush to use the Pur to conceal some reddness I have. I don't use the Pur under my eyes because I think it would be too drying, plus I have really dark circles and need full coverage there. Overall, the light tan is a perfect match for my NC 37 skin and I love the coverage that doesn't feel heavy, at all, on my skin. I did have to use a dab of my Glamoflauge on an eruption I had on my chin. I just put the Pur over it, and was good to go. I would definitely recommend the Pur Minerals foundation if you are in the market for a great mineral makeup with buildable coverage. I only gave this a 4 because of the horrendous chisel brush.

**UPDATE** (8-23-12)
I am adding the fifth lippie, because I decided to give the chisel brush a second chance. After washing the brush and letting it dry, I used it and like it A LOT better than I did initially. It does give more coverage than the ELF brush, but the ELF brush is still softer.

on 8/2/2012 2:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Love this mineral foundation! The coverage is sheer to medium, good for your skin and it matches my Asian, oily with yellow undertones skin, light tan is perfect for me. I tried other mineral foundations - this one works and not messy at all. A little expensive for my budget. However, it lasts a long time. I find that this powder works well with the chisel brush from Pur. It sheds though. I might try the SK synthetic flat top brush when I'm ready to toss my chisel brush.

on 7/27/2012 12:55:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

ETA: As this product aged, it got really hard to the point it would NOT transfer onto my brush! What a waste! If you're looking for a better mineral foundation, I recommend a Bare Minerals foundation.

I honestly love this mineral foundation. It's lightweight but gives great coverage, and the porcelain shade matches my skin perfectly. I apply this everyday over concealer with the ELF complexion brush and get a flawless finish each time. I find it applies better with this brush than the chisel brush it comes with in the starter kit they sell because it deposits less powder, making it never look cakey like it can when I apply it with the chisel brush. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 is because it does not replace my need for concealer, but I think that's mainly because I have horrible hereditary under eye circles. This also works really well for setting foundation, but you really don't need foundation with this product, unless maybe you were going for stage makeup or something. Either way, this is THE best mineral foundation I've ever tried and I greatly recommend it!

I have a lot of issues with powder makeup. I can't wear it over foundation, if I do, I breakout. I can't wear it by itself either, again I break out. For some reason, I don't a have problem with liquid foundation... don't know why...
Until I tried purminerals 4in1 original foundation. The person at shoppers convinced me to try it and I really didn't expect to like it but, I do like it.
This is the only powder that doesn't destroy my skin. I think it might make my skin better but, that might be my imagination.
Anyways, this powder provides coverage as good as any other powder foundation (clinique, mac, covergirl) and it's much better for my skin.
Love it!

on 7/15/2012 6:02:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This powder foundation is super handy. It is my concealer, foundation, powder and SPF in one! Perfect for my oily skin.

on 6/16/2012 5:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

This may contain more natural ingredients, but it may not be suited for sensitive skin. This powder caused breakouts, white-heads, and even redness on my skin. On top of that, the color was very unnatural on my fair skin. It gave me a yellow glow.

on 6/6/2012 8:35:00 PM

Covers nicely, looks natural, good for your skin and stays really well through the day. The ONLY complaint I have is there is very little oil control and I would be super shiny around my nose and forehead by the end of the day. Thats why I only rated it a 4. So I had to buy the Perfectly Natural Everyday Balancing Make Up and when I brush a light bit of that in those oily areas before I use my powder foundation its perfect! So it is costly but i really think its worth it. Way better than BE or Sheer cover i think

on 5/16/2012 7:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

UPDATE:
Yeah, this did not control my oil very well without primer. Still a 4/5, just not for me!
*****
Overall Rating: 4.5/5
So I had to delete my old review and rewrite it, because I realized I reviewed the original Pur Minerals formula AND the one with "added skin care ingredients". THIS review is for the original formula.
At ULTA, they only sell the formula with the skincare ingredients in it, yet they tell you it's the original formula in "new packaging". This is false. That formula SUCKS, BUT the original one is.... Amazing.
This foundation has beaten all others. Why? Let me tell you:
-Medium-Full flawless, beautiful, natural, amazing coverage. It just looks like I have beautiful skin, not like I am wearing tons of product. I don't even need concealer.
-IT ACTUALLY LASTS! While the "skincare ingredients" formula gets VERY oily, and I would not advise us oil slick girls to get that one, the original does a really good job at keeping me matte. I could actually go all day without blotting, although I do occasionally just because I can. I put it on at 6:40AM, stays matte untill 12:00PM, and is still there when I come home around 4:00PM. That is a total of 9 hours, girls
-I do have one thing to say about application: YOU NEED that chisel brush! Although I love my ELF flat top powder brush, it doesn't give me the flawless coverage the chisel brush does. Its sharp bristles pick up a lot of product and it won't waste any of it. Application is such a breeze. I just swirl the brush in the powder, buff it in and TADA! Foundation done.
-Does not irritate my sensitive, acne prone skin.
The one con I have is the price. But this product is so amazing, I am willing to fork over the almost $30 for it. I need this stuff. My life is complete with it.... For now

on 4/27/2012 12:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I was very enthusiastic about this foundation after I had just purchased it and I still think it has some good qualities. The coverage is great for a mineral foundation, it comes in a wide range of colours and it's easy to apply. The only reason why I will not buy this again is that it made my skin super oily after a couple of hours of wear. A superb mineral foundation but not for oily skin types I'm afraid.

on 4/26/2012 1:20:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I've been using this for 2-3 months (maybe more) and I really like it. I switched from Tarte Smooth Operator as Sephora had run out of my colour and they were not sure when they were getting more stock. I have very acne prone skin with an oil slick t-zone and occasional dry spots on my cheeks. I also have a lot of redness to cover on my cheeks. This covers everything very well and is easy to layer for more coverage. I am very pale and the lightest shade is perfect on me. I apply using the chisel brush this company makes, the brush is scratchy but it does work well to apply this power. I use a primer underneath and my makeup lasts all day. Took off 1 lippie because it looks a little powdery on my forehead sometimes. Would repurchase.
Edit - They changed the packaging and I've read they changed the formula as well. I am not seeing much difference in the formula to be honest. The new packaging looks nicer but I am not a fan. The lid is a mirror and I don't like swirling the brushing into the mirror as per the instructions. I also noticed that on my compact the powder is not set in the middle of the compact, so there is a gap between the powder and the hole in the compact to hold it. The mirror also leaves a mark in the powder because it is not set properly in the compact. This shouldn't be an issue with a product this expensive. Will repurchase hoping my next compact is a little better made.