September 19, 2014 | 1944 users online

Lipstick - NARS - Semi-Matte in Heat Wave

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2010 5:04:00 AM More reviews by jenw1401

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

OMG! I was on my search for "orange coral" lips and had tried several on like Niagara, Napoli, Peachstock etc. but they all made me look "washed out". My complexion is very pale with a lot of pink in it and I have long black hair so unfortunately all those beautiful pastels often do nothing for me. So I decided to try a different approach, instead of looking for a piinky coral I thought maybe I should be looking for a red coral for more depth. Then I thought about Heat Wave, a red that I'd been wanting to try but wasn't comfortable with the orange in it. I wish I hadn't waited so long to try this! It is so beautiful if you're fair like me and are looking for a pop of contrast. I've never seen a color like this that is so balanced even for very fair people like me without looking garish. (The other one that has this same quality if Funny Face, which I will love till the day I die.)
So, (back to Heat Wave)I tried it on and the pop of deep color just brought life to my face. It looks good in that gives your face a focal point of color. I was so thrilled. Typically in the past I've gone for blue-toned reds which are still beautiful and I didn't think I could wear an orange red like Heat Wave. Boy was I wrong! The pigments are so beautifully balanced that neither the orange or the red overpowers or pulls that color one way or the other. It simply is what it is a completely original beautifully blended color, the red and orange are fused to create a totally new color. I tried on the Sephora version called "It Girl" and it really pulled orange on me That's what convinced me to go with Heat Wave. The quality is just a little bit better especially for a dramatic color like this. So, if you want to make a statement, and if you want to do a twist on the red lip DEFINITELY try this.

think I'm going to wear it this summer with very minimal makeup on the rest of my face and maybe just a little black liquid liner. Definitely do try this product, it'll give you a extra boot of confidence!

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2010 7:42:00 PM More reviews by bubblewarped

i'm becoming a huge fan of nars lipsticks. i love this color, it's a bright bright bright attention-grabbing red that's not too blue-based or orange-toned -- really the perfect retro red for my yellow nc20 complexion. dabbed on lightly and topped with gloss, it creates a gorgeous red stain. applied straight from the tube (with the help of a brush!), i get that perfect matte hollywood lip. make sure your lips are well moisturized before applying, as it is slightly drying, but once it's on, it won't budge, bleed or smear onto teeth. the color will soften and settle comfortably into your lips after a few hours but it stays fresh and beautiful. definitely recommend!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2010 6:50:00 PM More reviews by moonchopin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Great red-orange. Good staying power, great color saturation. Doesn't shift. Slightly drying but not significantly so.

Similar to Tarantino Paramour. But Paramour is creamer/glossier but wears quickly or shift quickly. Used together it gives an amzing shade.

But Im cash poor now so I only bought Nars.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2010 11:55:00 PM More reviews by beleedat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Such a beautiful, wearable orange-red. As with other NARS' matte lipsticks, it's very pigmented and applies just like the color in the tube, which I love. It is a bit drying, but I'm willing to put up with it for the color payoff. I love this because it's enough pop of color where I only need some blush and mascara and I'm good to go for the night.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2010 9:40:00 PM More reviews by sarahjeangirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I'd never tried NARS lipsticks before, but I just got this, and I'm lovin it! Such a fun fun orangey-red. I love the staying power; one application stays for hours! And no bleeding. It's great, and I will definitely be purchasing NARS lipsticks in the future.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2009 8:15:00 PM More reviews by tvartdiva

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Come Closer Darling..Want to know what's best kept secret of any Retro Lovin Hottie? It's a tube of this; Hot Damn, Cats Pajamas, House on Fire, 50's Red Lipstick, that's what! Use it alone or to heat up any drowsey red you have lying in waiting. Put on that LBD, grab your vintage Chanel patent bag and your're a ringer! I never go without it in my kit, ever! An HG for absolutely anyone who wants to rock a red, and an absolute must have for darker skin tones. As for comments on a dry texture, what! Do you really want to look like Courtney Love? When it comes to reds lasting, creamy mattes are always at the top of my list and this one goes the distance. LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU FRANCOIS!

* As a Union TV/Flim makeup artist, I never endorse any product that I do not truly believe in.

15 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2009 12:44:00 PM More reviews by yasmineswe

This is an AMAZING opaque orange-based red color and, at least on me, it leans more towards coral red than clear orange-red (MAC's Lady Danger, for example). In comparison to MAC's Lady Danger, the color of "Heat wave" is much more playful and the texture/great pigmentation allows you to control the intensity of the color - from vivid "lollipop red" to strikingly bright coral/orange red. The texture is quite dry but application is easy and staying power is, of course, excellent

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2009 2:57:00 PM More reviews by lfrueh

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Bright vivid orange red - not for when you're feeling shy! More playful and lighthearted than true reds or blue reds, though. I find the matte formula too retro looking, but mixed with a clear lip balm it makes a fantastic lively l/g, with color intensity at your control. The color is hard to dupe, so I'd buy it again. For summer or for darker skinned, warm complexions year round.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2009 8:12:00 PM More reviews by doris2788

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This lipstick is the only one I use as of right now. I love how I can build my coverage with this lipsick, I can go from natural pink lips to bright red. When I want a natural look, I first take the stick and dab it on to my entire lip (shape of the stick helps fill in corners), then I rub a tiny bit on my finger, and dab it on to my lips. Then I take any lip-moisturizing stuff and blend it out. Your lips will look a natural pink. When I want the full colour I apply it with a lip brush or just apply it like it is. For some ladies, it may feel very dry, but the good thing is that it stays on forever. When it's too dry, you just have to take a lip brush and treat it like you're kneading bread, play around with the lipstick a little, and the color should go on easily. The price isn't too bad, but it is on the expensive side. The one and only thing I don't like about it is that the cap comes off easily, so be sure to close it tightly each time. I MAYBE will purchase this product again, not because it's not good, but because there's this other brand I want to try out. :]

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2009 12:54:00 PM More reviews by KJ88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love reds and this includes red lipsticks. This is an orangey/red lipstick that is somehow wearable as subtle. Definitely a hit.