NARS Semi-Matte in Heat Wave

4.6

on 2/19/2011 3:57:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

Love this color!! I usually wear pinks/nudes and this is just so beautiful on my NC30 skin. I think this works for all skin tones because of its orange undertone. If I wear red, I use Russian Red (MAC) but to me, this is much more wearable and moisturizing for a matte finish. this is my second Nars lipstick and I plan to buy more. Worth the price & quality.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my absolute HG red! I love this shade. To me, the color definitely looks more red than orange, but it does have those warmer (orange) undertones in it, without a doubt. I saw that it was used on the J. Crew models for Spring 2011, and I knew I had to have it! If you love bold colors, you'll love this. This l/s was my first NARS lippie, and although it was very pricey, it was so worth it! I'm now hooked on NARS lipsticks. The pigmentation is incredible and it has better staying power than any of the other lipsticks I've used. If you're interested, just go for it! You won't regret it!

on 1/24/2011 2:08:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Orange-red LOVE! This leans more towards orange than MAC Lady Danger and it looks more modern. Not as orange as Nars Red Square (which I also love). Very long lasting true matte. I slather my lips with balm and let it sit while doing the rest of my makeup and then wipe the excess balm off before applying Heat Wave and it solves any dryness issues.

on 4/14/2010 5:04:00 AM

OMG! I was on my search for "orange coral" lips and had tried several on like Niagara, Napoli, Peachstock etc. but they all made me look "washed out". My complexion is very pale with a lot of pink in it and I have long black hair so unfortunately all those beautiful pastels often do nothing for me. So I decided to try a different approach, instead of looking for a piinky coral I thought maybe I should be looking for a red coral for more depth. Then I thought about Heat Wave, a red that I'd been wanting to try but wasn't comfortable with the orange in it. I wish I hadn't waited so long to try this! It is so beautiful if you're fair like me and are looking for a pop of contrast. I've never seen a color like this that is so balanced even for very fair people like me without looking garish. (The other one that has this same quality if Funny Face, which I will love till the day I die.)
So, (back to Heat Wave)I tried it on and the pop of deep color just brought life to my face. It looks good in that gives your face a focal point of color. I was so thrilled. Typically in the past I've gone for blue-toned reds which are still beautiful and I didn't think I could wear an orange red like Heat Wave. Boy was I wrong! The pigments are so beautifully balanced that neither the orange or the red overpowers or pulls that color one way or the other. It simply is what it is a completely original beautifully blended color, the red and orange are fused to create a totally new color. I tried on the Sephora version called "It Girl" and it really pulled orange on me That's what convinced me to go with Heat Wave. The quality is just a little bit better especially for a dramatic color like this. So, if you want to make a statement, and if you want to do a twist on the red lip DEFINITELY try this.

think I'm going to wear it this summer with very minimal makeup on the rest of my face and maybe just a little black liquid liner. Definitely do try this product, it'll give you a extra boot of confidence!

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

i'm becoming a huge fan of nars lipsticks. i love this color, it's a bright bright bright attention-grabbing red that's not too blue-based or orange-toned -- really the perfect retro red for my yellow nc20 complexion. dabbed on lightly and topped with gloss, it creates a gorgeous red stain. applied straight from the tube (with the help of a brush!), i get that perfect matte hollywood lip. make sure your lips are well moisturized before applying, as it is slightly drying, but once it's on, it won't budge, bleed or smear onto teeth. the color will soften and settle comfortably into your lips after a few hours but it stays fresh and beautiful. definitely recommend!

on 2/25/2010 6:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Great red-orange. Good staying power, great color saturation. Doesn't shift. Slightly drying but not significantly so.

Similar to Tarantino Paramour. But Paramour is creamer/glossier but wears quickly or shift quickly. Used together it gives an amzing shade.

But Im cash poor now so I only bought Nars.

on 2/24/2010 11:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Such a beautiful, wearable orange-red. As with other NARS' matte lipsticks, it's very pigmented and applies just like the color in the tube, which I love. It is a bit drying, but I'm willing to put up with it for the color payoff. I love this because it's enough pop of color where I only need some blush and mascara and I'm good to go for the night.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I'd never tried NARS lipsticks before, but I just got this, and I'm lovin it! Such a fun fun orangey-red. I love the staying power; one application stays for hours! And no bleeding. It's great, and I will definitely be purchasing NARS lipsticks in the future.

on 8/15/2009 8:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Come Closer Darling..Want to know what's best kept secret of any Retro Lovin Hottie? It's a tube of this; Hot Damn, Cats Pajamas, House on Fire, 50's Fire-Red Lipstick, that's what! Use it alone or to heat up any drowsy red you have lying in waiting. Put on that LBD, grab your vintage Chanel patent bag and you're a ringer! I never go without it in my kit, ever! An HG for absolutely anyone who wants to rock a red, and an absolute must have for darker skin tones. As for comments on a dry texture, what! Do you really want to look like Courtney Love? When it comes to reds lasting, creamy mattes are always at the top of my list and this one goes the distance. LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU FRANCOIS!

* As a Union TV/Flim makeup artist, I never endorse any product that I do not truly believe in.

on 8/10/2009 12:44:00 PM

This is an AMAZING opaque orange-based red color and, at least on me, it leans more towards coral red than clear orange-red (MAC's Lady Danger, for example). In comparison to MAC's Lady Danger, the color of "Heat wave" is much more playful and the texture/great pigmentation allows you to control the intensity of the color - from vivid "lollipop red" to strikingly bright coral/orange red. The texture is quite dry but application is easy and staying power is, of course, excellent

Recommended for Medium Skin