July 28, 2014 | 1093 users online

Foundations - Lucy Minerals Foundation

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2013 1:08:00 PM More reviews by pinknika

I am not new to the mineral makeup scene, as I tried many and I have a long standing allegiance to Silk Naturals as I really like their makeup and service.

I really bought this because I saw it as a high rating on the MUA top picks tab, and although I was taking a break from mineral makeup as I love liquid more, I thought why not.

Anyways, I bought lots of samples which took a while to get to me, over a week. I got all the lighter colors in different formulas: light, pale olive, cream, bisque, light medium, creamy bisque in Orignal, Light, OCS (Oil Control Silica), and OCC (Oil Control Calcium Carbonate).

I liked the colors, I think the ones I like the most are light and creamy bisque.

As for the formulas:

Original-very creamy but it cakes up and accentuates fine lines and dry patches.

OCC- very chalky texture, controls oil good enough but the finish seems a little matted and chalky like.

OCS- smoother texture not creamy like original but silica controled oil better than the calcium.

Lucy Light- I think my favorite, looked most "like skin" on me and wasn't too heavy. The downside is that it has no oil control what so ever and in a couple hours it showed.

Overall I probably would repurchase and use this as a "work day" makeup.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/23/2013 7:50:00 PM More reviews by kimst2009

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

-Types I used: Oil Control with Silica & Calcium Carbonate
-My Skin: Combo/Oily
-My Best Color Match: Bisque (approx NC15-20, a little neutral) If you're more NC20 then try Light Medium. Medium seems more for an NC25. Creamy Bisque may be closer to an NC30, more yellow.

This was my first time trying a mineral foundation. I have always been skeptical about whether I would get enough coverage with a mineral foundation because I'm used to using a med-full coverage foundation since I have red acne scarring and uneven, oily skin.

It took about two attempts to get used to the application but once I did, I loved the coverage. It wasn't flat, but was more luminous or glowy. *I used the Sigma F80 and 82 to apply* After a week I started noticing that my pores were more pronounced and skin looked parched. Eventually I stopped using it as a foundation. However I found a new use for it since I ordered so many samples...

I found that I love using it as an under eye concealer! It sort of reminds me of what a Laura Mercier Secret Brightening powder would look like if it came in other colors. Lucy's MIneral foundation isnt quite as fine and silky as LM's SB powder but it gives a more luminous glow to your undereyes. You can build up the mineral foundation under your eyes unlike some liquid concealers which can end up cakey if you overapply. BTW, I used the MAC 286, a duo fibre brush to apply the foundation to my undereye area.

Even though I wouldnt buy this product again to use as a face foundation, I will buy it again for my undereyes. The sample size ($2.50) lasts quite a long time and I was very surprised by that because the container is tiny and I always use alot of foundation. Eek. Another thought is you can buy the Snow White color, a white, to mix if you need a lighter color. I dont think buying the Finishing Powders are a necessity because I tried it and didnt notice any benefits. I used my trusty LM Translucent or Maybelline Dream Matte powder and they worked fine.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2013 3:08:00 PM More reviews by gilldiva

This is the best foundation I have ever tried. Simple as!
Like everyone on this forum, I am a beauty junkie. I am also more than willing to pay premium prices for premium products.
I suffer from adult acne and tend to get break outs on my jaw line, chin and around my mouth. After coming off the pill, my acne became so bad that my skin was constantly inflamed and sore. Having always liked full coverage foundation anyway, I needed coverage more than ever. What I found was that whatever foundation I used, it irritated my spots. My skin looked worse at the end of the day when I took my make up off than it did in the morning before applying make up.
I was feeling really down about my skin and love browsing this site anyway so had a look at the top rated products. This is where I found out about this product. I ordered the sample sizes in order to find my perfect shade. The colour range is great and after as few tries I got it. I am NC25 in MAC and find that the creamy olive and medium olive both work well for me.
So, the first amazing thing was the coverage. This covered the redness of my sore spots better than any other high end, full coverage foundation I had ever used. Then came the second miracle. This foundation improved my skin so much that I rarely had any blemishes to cover!!
I had no idea that I had sensitive skin. This foundation is literally amazing for sensitive skin. Not only does it not contain all the nasties that cause flare ups on sensitive skin, it actually contains healing ingredients to soothe the skin.
Literallly, nearly every day people say things like 'Your skin is amazing' 'You are glowing'. This product is frickin amazing!!!
Buy the testers, find your colour and experiment with ways of applying the foundation. It can take a bit of experimentation but once you get it right it is soooo worth it. (FYI I use their flat top buffer brush - it's fab!!)
This product is one that I never thought I would find. It is good for my skin and makes me skin look even more amazing. Constantly being told you look glowing is very addictive!! Ha ha.
Try this product. You just may love it the way that I do.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2013 12:47:00 PM More reviews by greengrapefruit

I have been using this for only 4 days but I love it so much I can't resist declaring it a HG!!!
Background: I have acne-prone skin with a lot of hyperpigmentation. My skin is flaky from using Finacea and Mandelic Acid and lately I've found that foundation just looks terrible because of the uneven skin tone and poor texture. My Tarte foundation really accentuated my flaky skin and even though it was high coverage it didn't look perfect.

I got the Light formula and it is really amazing. My skin looks so even and even the texture looks good. I got Creamy Bisque and its a very good match for my light-medium Asian skin. Finally makeup that doesn't look so obvious and cakey!

I will update after longer use.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2013 4:17:00 AM More reviews by Tindra78

During winter I'm a NC/NW 15. In EMD I use Linen during this time of year.

I tried this in Lucy Light cause it has less ingredients then her other formulas, for my really oversensitive acne prone skin. (I also have a lot of redness to cover)

The shade Light is the closest, this one is Lucys most light but "not pink" color (the Fair is the pink version). This one is still a little too pink compared to my ordinary EMD shades that I use to neutralize redness (linen and Fairly Light neutral).

How it looks on the skin: I've discovered (after using EMD with Lauroyl lysine and mica for many years) that traditional mineral makeup containing traditional ingredients like a mix of titanium dioxide and Zink oxide looks strange on my skin. I blame the titanium dioxide giving me the "thick", messy look after a few hours... It also brings that typical "opaque" color to the skin and becomes horrible on photos.
I have to say that I like both Lily Lolo (mica + Zink oxide) and EMD matte (Lauroyl lysine + mica) more compared to Makeup with TD.

In this way I think that we shouldn't bunch all mineral makeup together, but instead see them as different kinds of products as they contain different ingredients.

Does not keep my oil at bay, it "melted" down within 3 hours. But my skin is extremely oily (in this particular part the lily lolo is better, but then lacks the coverage).

Coverage is great though, it covers imperfections well.Price is overcoming

(Can't tell if it would break me out, cause I didn't use it that long, cause I don't like the look too much...)

Really good costumer service!!

Summery:

Pros:

- good coverage
- reasonable price
- nice costumer service

Cons:

- traditional mmu containing TD, becomes thick and messy on my skin
- the most neutral shade Light is also a little too pinkish for me and my daily redness. I need more "light yellow"...

But I believe in this company for a little more normal skintypes, and I can see that it could work for others.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2013 5:27:00 PM More reviews by Bjet

I bought the original formula. What I found is that the mineral goes on very smoothly with a kabuki brush and the finish is matte at first and it is a full coverage foundation. A little goes a long way and it's quite creamy. However if your skin is super dry it will show dry patches. What the deal-breaker for me was that it had no oil-control and in about two hours i looked obviously oily and that's when the make up started to slide so I definitely cannot use this for a whole work day. I bought it cause of the fantastic reviews on this site but unfortunately it disappointed me.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/8/2013 1:58:00 PM More reviews by Mom2Free

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wanted to like this product so badly, but it did not work for me personally.
I tried the original formula. On their website, it says for best results to use a finishing powder. They are not kidding. Use one with this foundation.
This truly is the CREAMIEST mineral foundation.
BUT, I have oily skin and this just made it more oily. I had to blot all the time, although I will say the makeup stayed put even with the constant blotting.
And so then I broke out. Not awful, but I did start getting small whiteheads that I was not getting before I started using this.
All in all, this did not work for my skin, but I can definately see how it would work for others. The coverage is nice, creamy, and natural looking. I think this would be great for those with normal to dry skin.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 11/18/2012 3:36:00 PM More reviews by contrariwhys

(Sampled the original formula.) Sadly this broke me out. It also creases a bit around the eyes as a previous reviewer pointed out. I will possibly try the Lucy Minerals light formula to see if I get better results. The thing that separates this from other mineral makeup in my opinion is it's water resistant qualities which allows for it to last longer in humid conditions. For now though, I will stick to Everyday Minerals (matte base and jojoba base) as it doesn't break me out.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2012 4:02:00 PM More reviews by JamaicanWhitie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my first mineral makeup purchase ever because I was always afraid of venturing into mineral powders because of all the irritating and pore clogging ingredients like bare minerals. So I did my research and came to the conclusion that the formulation Lucy 'light' in the shade cream cream would be my best match (NC 15/20) The Lucy light formula is perfect for very sensitive and reactive skin types which is myself. My skin is very acne prone and will break out from anything I use on it, so my skincare routine is very simple. Anyways the light formula is perfect for me because it has very few great ingredients:
Ingredients ~ zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, mica, magnesium stearate, iron oxides
The coverage is medium-full depending how many layers you do. The trick to applying this is stippling it in very thin layers as to prevent it from getting cakey.
It has a semi-matte finish, however after a few hours my skin feels very oily,so I have to blot frequently throughout the day with this on, but i love it so much I don't really mind.
I would recommend this to anyone and everyone!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/23/2012 7:25:00 PM More reviews by liladriana07

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I always use foundation because I was never sure how well mineral foundation would work on me. I have oily, acne-prone skin but I was hearing so much about this, so I wanted to give this a try. After doing some research, I came to conclusion cream would be the best match. This gives great coverage in one application. I couldnt believe it. Good color match, great pigmentation. But here are the drawbacks. It cakes up after 30 minutes, it doesnt last long. If I can find a good primer or setting spray, I would throw away all my liquid foundation and keep this.