December 22, 2014 | 966 users online

Foundations - Lucy Minerals Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 6/3/2013 2:43:00 PM More reviews by indiajane

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I wanted SO bad to like this foundation. I really did. I bought sample sizes in Cream and Pale Olive of the original, silica, calcium carbonate, and lucy light formulas. The only thing that I really liked about this foundation was the colors; Pale Olive was a perfect match, although I could definitely wear cream if I wanted to, I just tended to gravitate towards the Pale Olive. So yeah, colors are great. Lots of variety. Five stars for the color selection.
I washed, exfoliated, and moisturized my face with CeraVe moisturizer, but I later used Eucerine facial moisturizer with sunscreen. The foundation applied really nice with a flat top buffer brush from coastal scents. At first, it looked a little dry and cakey and I was feeling kind of mehhhh, but five minutes passed and when I looked in the mirror again in natural lighting, it looked absolutely flawless. Totally amazing. I was stoked. But, to my dismay, another ten minutes passed and I went to look in the mirror again. What did I see? OILY MESS! My skin looked oilier than it normally does with no makeup on! What the hell? I tried all the formulas and even the oil control made my face look like an oil slick. And when I touched my face the makeup would come off on my fingers. I tried all the formulas and even switched my moisturizers back and forth, and even tried different setting powders. Nothing worked. I went to my lighted mirror to tweeze my brows when I had the powder on and I was literally disgusted. Everything had separated and looked totally cakey, and I barely used any product, AND I used a light hand! Guess I'm just one of those unlucky people that Lucy did not agree with. I would order a sample size and try it out, because all the reviews here seem to love it. So sad :(

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2013 1:55:00 PM More reviews by obrienm5

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I tried the original formulas... Awful. Looked cakey and dry and unnatural. Then I tried the Lucy Light. Amazing! Goes on so smoothly and looks like beautiful, healthy skin! So impressed. Definitely order samples to find color match and formulation that works best for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2013 9:30:00 PM More reviews by bfresh0

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have tried many many foundations (liquid, powder, cream, airbrush, minerals, etc.) from high end to drug store brands. I have found many that I like but none that I love..... until Lucy Minerals! I was using a liquid foundation and setting it with Bare Minerals because I liked the glow that Bare Minerals gave but hated Bare Minerals on its own ( too powdery looking, not enough coverage, settles into lines, makes pores appear larger). Bare Minerals looked decent when used very lightly as a setting powder but still nothing amazing. I got tired of using a primer then layering my liquid waiting for it to dry and then putting bare minerals over it so I started looking for a easy one step full coverage mineral foundation. After reading the reviews on here about Lucy Minerals I decided to try it along with Lauress Minerals. I ordered some lauress samples and then went to order some lucy samples. The Lucy site was having a special ( Buy one get one free!!!) so I decided to buy 2 full size foundations instead of samples since it was such a good deal! I am soooooo glad I did! I absolutely LOVE lucy minerals! the finish is flawless. I cleansed and moisturized and then my buffed lucy foundation in with a flat top kabuki style brush. It looked like perfect skin. Not powdery, not heavy, no smell, no glitter, no caking, no settling into lines... just perfect! I wore it all day (at least 10 hrs) and it stayed on really nice and didn't crease up around my eyes or smile lines. THE BEST FOUNDATION EVER! I love that its minerals and has very few ingredients, but even if it was a different formula or wasn't mineral I would still love it because it makes my skin look so nice!

I am about NC 15 to NC 20 in MAC and CREAM or LIGHT in Lucy Minerals both work great for me. Cream is slightly more yellow where light is is more neutral but still a warm color. They have an amazing shade range so you will definitely find a prefect color! And if you find your perfect match by mixing one or more of their coors they will custom mix colors for you!!!! SO AMAZING!

I was also sent a sample of one the the eyeshadows with my order which is really nice. I can't wait to try out more of their products!

Best of all its CHEAP!!!! $15 FOR 10oz compared to Bare Minerals which is $27 for 8oz! Since its hard to tell which shade will work for you they offer trial sizes which have a pretty good amount for $2.50 each.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2013 8:16:00 PM More reviews by suzyqz1970

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I honestly thought my days of using a powder foundation were over but after reading the reviews for Lucy Minerals I thought, what the heck-give it a shot. I am an NC-25 in MAC Studio Fix and I wear C2 in MAC Face and Body and I selected Creamy Bisque based on some comments from the makeup board. It's a lot cheaper than both Alima and Bare Minerals. I liked Alima ok but hated Bare Minerals. Creamy Bisque is quite yellow and I was a bit skeptical when I received my foundation in the original formula. Once I compared it to my MAC foundations I realized I look best in fairly yellow foundations. I ordered the original formula. I applied it over some Avon primer I had and used a flat top brush from Ecco Tools to apply it. I figured with my fine lines, a primer would be prudent and I have tried it with primer and moisturizer and primer alone. Primer alone seems to work best and the wear of this foundation is great!! The coverage is awesome but it's best to start out quite light and apply in layers.It's probably the creamiest of all the mineral foundations I've tried and I think that might make it particularly good for aging skin like mine. I looked like I had just great skin! It does need to kind of "melt" into my skin for it to look it's best though. I am WAY impressed with this foundation and so glad I gave it a shot. I received my order very quickly as well. I was also reading the ingredient label and there seems to be some good antioxidants in the formula as well as zinc and titanium dioxide which are both very good sunscreens. I hope it wears as well once the weather gets hot and humid here. If it holds up, I think I've found my HG of a summer foundation. Love it!!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2013 1:08:00 PM More reviews by pinknika

I am not new to the mineral makeup scene, as I tried many and I have a long standing allegiance to Silk Naturals as I really like their makeup and service.

I really bought this because I saw it as a high rating on the MUA top picks tab, and although I was taking a break from mineral makeup as I love liquid more, I thought why not.

Anyways, I bought lots of samples which took a while to get to me, over a week. I got all the lighter colors in different formulas: light, pale olive, cream, bisque, light medium, creamy bisque in Orignal, Light, OCS (Oil Control Silica), and OCC (Oil Control Calcium Carbonate).

I liked the colors, I think the ones I like the most are light and creamy bisque.

As for the formulas:

Original-very creamy but it cakes up and accentuates fine lines and dry patches.

OCC- very chalky texture, controls oil good enough but the finish seems a little matted and chalky like.

OCS- smoother texture not creamy like original but silica controled oil better than the calcium.

Lucy Light- I think my favorite, looked most "like skin" on me and wasn't too heavy. The downside is that it has no oil control what so ever and in a couple hours it showed.

Overall I probably would repurchase and use this as a "work day" makeup.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/23/2013 7:50:00 PM More reviews by kimst2009

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

-Types I used: Oil Control with Silica & Calcium Carbonate
-My Skin: Combo/Oily
-My Best Color Match: Bisque (approx NC15-20, a little neutral) If you're more NC20 then try Light Medium. Medium seems more for an NC25. Creamy Bisque may be closer to an NC30, more yellow.

This was my first time trying a mineral foundation. I have always been skeptical about whether I would get enough coverage with a mineral foundation because I'm used to using a med-full coverage foundation since I have red acne scarring and uneven, oily skin.

It took about two attempts to get used to the application but once I did, I loved the coverage. It wasn't flat, but was more luminous or glowy. *I used the Sigma F80 and 82 to apply* After a week I started noticing that my pores were more pronounced and skin looked parched. Eventually I stopped using it as a foundation. However I found a new use for it since I ordered so many samples...

I found that I love using it as an under eye concealer! It sort of reminds me of what a Laura Mercier Secret Brightening powder would look like if it came in other colors. Lucy's MIneral foundation isnt quite as fine and silky as LM's SB powder but it gives a more luminous glow to your undereyes. You can build up the mineral foundation under your eyes unlike some liquid concealers which can end up cakey if you overapply. BTW, I used the MAC 286, a duo fibre brush to apply the foundation to my undereye area.

Even though I wouldnt buy this product again to use as a face foundation, I will buy it again for my undereyes. The sample size ($2.50) lasts quite a long time and I was very surprised by that because the container is tiny and I always use alot of foundation. Eek. Another thought is you can buy the Snow White color, a white, to mix if you need a lighter color. I dont think buying the Finishing Powders are a necessity because I tried it and didnt notice any benefits. I used my trusty LM Translucent or Maybelline Dream Matte powder and they worked fine.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2013 3:08:00 PM More reviews by gilldiva

This is the best foundation I have ever tried. Simple as!
Like everyone on this forum, I am a beauty junkie. I am also more than willing to pay premium prices for premium products.
I suffer from adult acne and tend to get break outs on my jaw line, chin and around my mouth. After coming off the pill, my acne became so bad that my skin was constantly inflamed and sore. Having always liked full coverage foundation anyway, I needed coverage more than ever. What I found was that whatever foundation I used, it irritated my spots. My skin looked worse at the end of the day when I took my make up off than it did in the morning before applying make up.
I was feeling really down about my skin and love browsing this site anyway so had a look at the top rated products. This is where I found out about this product. I ordered the sample sizes in order to find my perfect shade. The colour range is great and after as few tries I got it. I am NC25 in MAC and find that the creamy olive and medium olive both work well for me.
So, the first amazing thing was the coverage. This covered the redness of my sore spots better than any other high end, full coverage foundation I had ever used. Then came the second miracle. This foundation improved my skin so much that I rarely had any blemishes to cover!!
I had no idea that I had sensitive skin. This foundation is literally amazing for sensitive skin. Not only does it not contain all the nasties that cause flare ups on sensitive skin, it actually contains healing ingredients to soothe the skin.
Literallly, nearly every day people say things like 'Your skin is amazing' 'You are glowing'. This product is frickin amazing!!!
Buy the testers, find your colour and experiment with ways of applying the foundation. It can take a bit of experimentation but once you get it right it is soooo worth it. (FYI I use their flat top buffer brush - it's fab!!)
This product is one that I never thought I would find. It is good for my skin and makes me skin look even more amazing. Constantly being told you look glowing is very addictive!! Ha ha.
Try this product. You just may love it the way that I do.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2013 12:47:00 PM More reviews by greengrapefruit

I have been using this for only 4 days but I love it so much I can't resist declaring it a HG!!!
Background: I have acne-prone skin with a lot of hyperpigmentation. My skin is flaky from using Finacea and Mandelic Acid and lately I've found that foundation just looks terrible because of the uneven skin tone and poor texture. My Tarte foundation really accentuated my flaky skin and even though it was high coverage it didn't look perfect.

I got the Light formula and it is really amazing. My skin looks so even and even the texture looks good. I got Creamy Bisque and its a very good match for my light-medium Asian skin. Finally makeup that doesn't look so obvious and cakey!

I will update after longer use.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2013 4:17:00 AM More reviews by Tindra78

During winter I'm a NC/NW 15. In EMD I use Linen during this time of year.

I tried this in Lucy Light cause it has less ingredients then her other formulas, for my really oversensitive acne prone skin. (I also have a lot of redness to cover)

The shade Light is the closest, this one is Lucys most light but "not pink" color (the Fair is the pink version). This one is still a little too pink compared to my ordinary EMD shades that I use to neutralize redness (linen and Fairly Light neutral).

How it looks on the skin: I've discovered (after using EMD with Lauroyl lysine and mica for many years) that traditional mineral makeup containing traditional ingredients like a mix of titanium dioxide and Zink oxide looks strange on my skin. I blame the titanium dioxide giving me the "thick", messy look after a few hours... It also brings that typical "opaque" color to the skin and becomes horrible on photos.
I have to say that I like both Lily Lolo (mica + Zink oxide) and EMD matte (Lauroyl lysine + mica) more compared to Makeup with TD.

In this way I think that we shouldn't bunch all mineral makeup together, but instead see them as different kinds of products as they contain different ingredients.

Does not keep my oil at bay, it "melted" down within 3 hours. But my skin is extremely oily (in this particular part the lily lolo is better, but then lacks the coverage).

Coverage is great though, it covers imperfections well.Price is overcoming

(Can't tell if it would break me out, cause I didn't use it that long, cause I don't like the look too much...)

Really good costumer service!!

Summery:

Pros:

- good coverage
- reasonable price
- nice costumer service

Cons:

- traditional mmu containing TD, becomes thick and messy on my skin
- the most neutral shade Light is also a little too pinkish for me and my daily redness. I need more "light yellow"...

But I believe in this company for a little more normal skintypes, and I can see that it could work for others.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2013 5:27:00 PM More reviews by Bjet

I bought the original formula. What I found is that the mineral goes on very smoothly with a kabuki brush and the finish is matte at first and it is a full coverage foundation. A little goes a long way and it's quite creamy. However if your skin is super dry it will show dry patches. What the deal-breaker for me was that it had no oil-control and in about two hours i looked obviously oily and that's when the make up started to slide so I definitely cannot use this for a whole work day. I bought it cause of the fantastic reviews on this site but unfortunately it disappointed me.